my retirement visa is now no good

11 hours ago, beaufoy said:

After the cruise I was refused entry to Thailand

Are you sure. How did you get into Thailand?

Better if you can explain why they refused you entry and what happened,

it could help other people to under stand the situation you got into. 

After 10 years it would appear that you do a single re-entry whenever you go out.

Do we assume that you hardly ever go out, perhaps at most once a year?

Most people that I know with a retirement visa invest in the multiple entry straight after getting the 1 year extension.

If you are staying in Thailand full time and dont go outside  then best wishes for you that it stays that way.

However maybe now consider the  potential benefits  of getting the multiple entry visa.

A bit more time and cost on the same day you get the retirement extension, can save you a lot of potential hassle later.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jojothai said:

How, when he was refused entry.:shock1:

the "refusal" (he was not refused entry...or he wouldn't be in Thailand, the retirement visa was cancelled and he entered on a tourist visa) was when he returned to Thailand AFTER the cruise ....He was stamped into TH when the ship docked in pattaya...that was the opportunity to apply for a re-entry permit...

Edited by localczar

I doubt it.  If they stamped his passport in Pattaya as having entered and even included the proper stay term (until the end of his current retirement extension), then the exit stamp without another re-entry permit would have killed his retirement extension (which appears to be exactly what happened).

I know we are responsible for what is put/stamped in our passports in thailand. But the IO must have seen/known that he was voiding this person's extension. A simple announcement for him on board could have saved his extension.

Hell, they might even have been able to offer him a new re-entry permit

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, localczar said:

the "refusal" (he was not refused entry...or he wouldn't be in Thailand, the retirement visa was cancelled and he entered on a tourist visa) was when he returned to Thailand AFTER the cruise ....He was stamped into TH when the ship docked in pattaya...that was the opportunity to apply for a re-entry permit...

Yes, understood. He could have done that, but would have to be prepared for it  and able to take his passport landside.

Do the cruise operators let you have the  passport to go landside or do they keep it to get your stamps done.

Some posting comments here suggest that the cruise ship keep the passport so you wont have it. 

Not been on a cruise, so I don't know. Might be tempted soon, worth knowing how this works.

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Without trying to or being argumentative if you knew the ship itinerary and you knew it was going to Pattaya and you as you must hand in your passport. You knew in other countries the ship docked in that you would have passport stamped regardless of Wether you got off or not. My question is why didn't you get a multi entry re entry permit before leaving.!

Um ...without being argumentative , of course ...  but maybe because the poor guy didnt want to get off at Pattaya and assumed that 'not getting off' meant he wouldnt actually be "In Thailand" ? No where does he say he,  " ...knew in other countries.. " that he would have ( sic) passport stamped regardless either.

50 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Yes, understood. He could have done that, but would have to be prepared for it  and able to take his passport landside.

Do the cruise operators let you have the  passport to go landside or do they keep it to get your stamps done.

Some posting comments here suggest that the cruise ship keep the passport so you wont have it. 

Not been on a cruise, so I don't know. Might be tempted soon, worth knowing how this works.

I'm confused with this too. You would often need your passport to change money at various ports to shop etc.  also what if you're in a port for a day and want to rent a car or bike? I don't actually believe the posters who say your passport is kept the entire cruise when visiting several international ports.  Makes zero sense.  Anyone know the facts??

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1

The hazards of surrendering your passport to anyone!  It's obvious that the cruse line staff were too lazy to search through the stack of passports that they had and just dumped the whole mess on importations desk !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

I'm confused with this too. You would often need your passport to change money at various ports to shop etc.  also what if you're in a port for a day and want to rent a car or bike? I don't actually believe the posters who say your passport is kept the entire cruise when visiting several international ports.  Makes zero sense.  Anyone know the facts??

Yes, most cruise ships hold the passports. Exceptions are for example if you do cruises inside europe and have a european (schengen accepted passport). Then you not even have to give your passport to the ship when you start the cruise. But there are always a special queue for people without schengen accepted passports, and this people have to give the passport. And in the begining my wife also had to give the passport... and never became them back while the whole cruise.

This guy was unlucky to not know that the will stamp his passport... :(

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Falcon said:

When on a cruise ship, you need to surrender your passport to them which they keep and give you a receipt together with an on board charge card to use as payment on the boat. Reason for giving in the passport is so that the immigration of the countries visited can stamp the passport in and out - regardless of if the passport holder gets ok or off the ship in a port. The immigration actually get on biard the ship to stamp in and out so no need for the traveler to pass through immigration at each port.

Never have done an international cruise nor have any desire (potential for problems always seems high) but seems odd that immigration would stamp your passport without seeing you in person to compare face with photo. Actually thought it procedure in Thailand to take a picture of you and have you fill out an arrival &  sign departure card. 

6 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Um ...without being argumentative , of course ...  but maybe because the poor guy didnt want to get off at Pattaya and assumed that 'not getting off' meant he wouldnt actually be "In Thailand" ? No where zdoes he say he,  " ...knew in other countries.. " that he would have ( sic) passport stamped regardless either.

Sorry but it's pretty obvious if you land in a forigner country your passport will be stamped. Regardless he should have got a multi  re entry permit. No drama then

A comment on moderation has been removed that apparently was also posted in the wrong topic since no posts were removed in this one.

From the Forum Rules

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

11 hours ago, HampiK said:

Yes, most cruise ships hold the passports. Exceptions are for example if you do cruises inside europe and have a european (schengen accepted passport). Then you not even have to give your passport to the ship when you start the cruise. But there are always a special queue for people without schengen accepted passports, and this people have to give the passport. And in the begining my wife also had to give the passport... and never became them back while the whole cruise.

So what would have happened to any of the OP's fellow passengers who did disembark and, while plodding the back streets of Pattaya, were stopped by the BIB and asked to produce their passports? Their inability to do so would more likely have resulted in their being frogmarched off to the IDC than safely back on the cruise ship in due course, I strongly suspect!

Edited by OJAS

3 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So what would have happened to any of the OP's fellow passengers who did disembark and, while plodding the back streets of Pattaya, were stopped by the BIB and asked to produce their passports? Their inability to do so would more likely have resulted in their being frogmarched off to the IDC than safely back on the cruise ship in due course, I strongly suspect!

I would presume if it was a good cruise company then a form of ID would have been given stating you are on a cruise and that passports are held by the cruise liner.  As was happened on every cruise I've ever been on.

But the chances of your question happening would be slim to none I suspect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Cruise lines spend a lot of money in these ports. They are also very good about dealing with local police and immigration. When you embark on a cruise, your photo is taken put on your ship ID and entered into their database. 

If stopped by the police, show them your ship ID. Believe me, the locals don't want that ship to stop coming by!

• Like 2

On 2/1/2017 at 0:23 PM, tgeezer said:

a sad story but at least it shows that Immigration is "on the ball". I wonder if the crew had no choice but to report you, if so, they should have given you the opportunity to let you put your case to Immigration. You were probably the only passenger who didn't get a visa exempt entry.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Duty to report what. It sounds like he never left the ship.

10 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Sorry but it's pretty obvious if you land in a forigner country your passport will be stamped. Regardless he should have got a multi  re entry permit. No drama then

It doesn't appear he landed. Unless his ship docking means everyone on board has landed.

2 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

It doesn't appear he landed. Unless his ship docking means everyone on board has landed.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on the point. All ships must clear customs and immigration when they dock. In the case of a cargo ship with a small crew, Immigration will board and each crew member must present them with their papers.

A large cruise ship, with up to 2000 passengers, will have the crew present the passports to immigration. Immigration will compare them to the ships manifest. Unless they have a question, the passengers will never know they have been there. However, no one is allowed to exit the ship until all have been cleared.

Doesn't matter whether you decide to get off or not. I have been on many cruises where I did not leave the ship at a port. 

Duty to report what. It sounds like he never left the ship.

I only glanced at the Immigration Act but I got the impression that Masers of ships have a duty to report to Immigration. Had the OP known the position he might have talked Immigration out of cancelling his re-entry permit or even issueing him a new one, the point is he didn't know.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Dan5 said:

It is expected when in port on a cruise ship that people will go ashore at some stage of the day hence all passports are stamped. It really doesn't matter if you go ashore or not.

3 hours ago, Jeffkp said:

There seems to be a lot of confusion on the point. All ships must clear customs and immigration when they dock. In the case of a cargo ship with a small crew, Immigration will board and each crew member must present them with their papers.

A large cruise ship, with up to 2000 passengers, will have the crew present the passports to immigration. Immigration will compare them to the ships manifest. Unless they have a question, the passengers will never know they have been there. However, no one is allowed to exit the ship until all have been cleared.

Doesn't matter whether you decide to get off or not. I have been on many cruises where I did not leave the ship at a port. 

An interesting situation might arise if 1 of the 2,000 passengers, having previously overstayed, was banned from entering Thailand at the time of the cruise. Would this mean that all 2,000 would not be permitted to leave the ship when it docked at a Thai port?

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

An interesting situation might arise if 1 of the 2,000 passengers, having previously overstayed, was banned from entering Thailand at the time of the cruise. Would this mean that all 2,000 would not be permitted to leave the ship when it docked at a Thai port?

Nope. Cruise lines send their passenger info to the counties they are visiting before passengers embark. I suspect that passenger would no be allowed to board. All this is done computer now.Every international cruise I have taken required me to submit all this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

When you leave the cruise you have to present your ship ID and they scan them. If you not allowed to disembark for some reason (if this is possible, because i think they will check before boarding) then they not let you leave the ship at that port.

On the cruises, i always had to show my ship ID on leave the ship and when return.. so they check if someone is missing.

• Like 1