Junta slammed as Pattaya "baht buses" taken off the street

webfact

6 minutes ago, avidflyer said:

I can't be sure, of course, but I suspect doubling the fares to 20 Baht might help. It has been about 15 years since the fare doubled to 10 Baht. No wonder the BB drivers need to do everything that they can to earn a practical/living wage. And be aware that the drivers need to pay "someone(s)" for the privilege of being able to ply their trade.

With a higher fare I would expect to see an improved quality of BBs and the lousy ones trashed. Some of those BBs are freakin scary!

(JT thinks I'm nuttier prez trump.)

Fares are a separate issue but I think it's daft to assume doubling the fares would necessarily mean better service. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK the "crackdown" was a little bit of an action done by the military.....

but for from beeing enough and the fine and 3 days not using the car is not a fine .....it's a joke like all the fines here!

And there are toooooooo many of the bath buses getting around......so dont give licence anymore and some of the problems are solved on the streets in the city center!

But also go for the car's parking in driving lanes and the traffic get stucked...and and and....

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

The Baht buses are a great service, one of the best things about Pattaya, the ease of getting around relatively cheaply ... the Army messed up here! 

Depends where you are "sitting" as to your viewpoint by the looks of the pro posts here!

The amount of accidents these idiots have caused driving around empty and then pulling over to pick up passengers with no consideration for other road users is incalculable!

They have been a law unto themselves for far too long!

1 minute ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

'relatively' cheaply??? Don't they cost 10 baht??

Yes that's cheap but realistically you will need to pay 20 baht for very long rides and also often need to change buses at least once in each direction for many trips. 

I like the song thaews  that operate as the baht bus, but the greedy ones that stop, then say

They are a taxi and charge 100b instead of 10b, I would like those To  be yanked from the street

Those greedy jerk's would not be missed. Maybe do like Hua Hin and make them all get

The same paint colors if they are baht buses, and different colors if they are running different

routes.  Ha, ha,  yeah, what am I thinking!

Isnt it just like the Thai,s to winge and bitch about having to abide by any kind of laws that are  ( or have been ) imposed to hopefully make the vast majority of citizens lives not just better, but safer.

As one said on " social media " this is a Tourist town.

Yes it pretends to be , so do the Tourists not have the right to have a happy, safe holiday ? instead of having to walk in the streets with baby buggies and young children because some Somchai thinks its not his place to abide by the laws and park correctly in order to pick up his fares.

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

The Baht buses are a great service, one of the best things about Pattaya, the ease of getting around relatively cheaply ... the Army messed up here! 

Agree!

As soon as the junta fanboys see "Junta slammed" they get all upset and start defending it regardless of what it's being slammed for. Bet most of them don't even live in Pattaya.

Baht buses are great as they are, a cheap and convenient service. Or, would you groupies prefer to be ripped off a la Phuket and other places?

Leave our baht buses alone and do something useful like reducing the carnage on the roads.

I think even though it's just 32 off the road the real punishment is you can't get your bus back for 3 days. Many Thais have to be hit hard in their pocketbooks to learn a lesson. Those few buses taken off the road will be known about by 99% of the other drivers. I took my once a year visit to Pattaya ( I stayed much farther south however) and had to drive Tuesday night the length of the second rd? And the traffic at 11 pm was insane those buses will stop in the middle ( I mean exactly in the middle) of that busy road and drop off and pick up people anywhere along the way. Even the tourists seem to like to jump on and off anywhere because there are no real bus stops enforced yet. They need to impound a few more and maybe lessons will be leaned and traffic improved.  

As a side note I think half the bleeding heart posts on this thread about " the Thais are hurt by this "   Or "the 99 year old man" is hurt by this should be read " I am inconvenienced by this".  lol 

I'm opposed to this change for baht buses. If they were bigger buses a stop system would make sense. The whole point of truck buses is their boarding and exiting flexibility. I hope this is a BIG FAIL!

If the enforcement works, this is really bad for riders. There will be fights at the stops as not enough spaces on the buses and so many don't respect queues. Of course there will be no queues at the stops but in some countries informal queues are respected. Frail people will get frustrated and stand on the back resulting in accidents. 

Edited by Jingthing

Once again, government people who never, ever use a service make a bone headed decision that affects regular folks.  Kicking out  the soi food stalls (they eat in expensive restaurants), building useless taxi ranks (they never take taxis), suggesting that the BTS allow the poor to ride for free (they never take the BTS, either),  ignore the state of the sidewalks (they never walk anywhere).  Totally out of touch and spouting decisions that will never impact them.  

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm opposed to this change for baht buses. If they were bigger buses a stop system would make sense. The whole point of truck buses is their boarding and exiting flexibility. I hope this is a BIG FAIL!

If the enforcement works, this is really bad for riders. There will be fights at the stops as not enough spaces on the buses and so many don't respect queues. Of course there will be no queues at the stops but in some countries informal queues are respected. Frail people will get frustrated and stand on the back resulting in accidents. 

Didn't they try a public bus system a few years ago ?

That is, until the baht bus mafia basically shut it down by parking in all the bus stops and harassing the  buses (by cutting them off and deliberately driving slowly in front of them) to the point that the service was abandoned ?

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

How very very wong you are...

The baht buses move huge numbers of people who with-out the BBs

would all need their own transport...

He's not wrong, he made a very accurate, objective observation, they do cause traffic problems.

7 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Didn't they try a public bus system a few years ago ?

That is, until the baht bus mafia basically shut it down by parking in all the bus stops and harassing the  buses (by cutting them off and deliberately driving slowly in front of them) to the point that the service was abandoned ?

Yes but it wasn't a replacement for the baht bus system. Just unwanted competition that of course everyone correctly predicted would be CRUSHED. 

Against such forces, of course you do need HEAVY HANDED measures to have any chance of making it happen and persist. But any change isn't necessarily an improvement. I think this change is CRAP. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, BWPattaya said:

I was with a 79 year old friend on Soi Bhuakao. We waited twenty minutes for a baht bus but there wasn't one. Walking from Soi Diana to South Pattaya wore him out. Let's have the Baht buses back

They haven't gone anywhere, only 32 offenders are affected.

3 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

They haven't gone anywhere, only 32 offenders are affected.

More like 32 unlucky drivers that got caught doing what the riding public wants and demands. 

Free the baht bus 32!

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

More like 32 unlucky drivers that got caught doing what the riding public wants and demands. 

Free the baht bus 32!

It's much more likely that the the public would like the bus operators to abide by the laws by picking up in safe areas and not adding to traffic congestion.

The 32 drivers are free.

4 minutes ago, ellabbs said:

By all accounts theres a baht bus mafia running the show.. just nationalize baht busses...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

There is a baht bus "cooperative" company that owns both the baht buses and the fake taxi meters ... which was a scheme approved by City Hall back when there was an elected mayor here.

Owning the fake taxi meters meant that there would never be  a real taxi meter system here killing any hope of REAL competition. 

It's bizarre to me that instead of starting on making REAL taxi meters here, this regressive stop system is what's done.

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

It's much more likely that the the public would like the bus operators to abide by the laws by picking up in safe areas and not adding to traffic congestion.

The 32 drivers are free.

Public transport helps everyone on the streets. This will just drive more residents (and even tourists) into private vehicles. 

I'm assuming you either don't live here and/or have your own transport already.

My POV is obviously of those that NEED public transport. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, fforest1 said:

Each and every last one of you should be very thankful for Pattayas

Baht buses.....Need I even bring up the taxi situation in Phuket..

Or the cost of taking Pattayas taxis whose meters are forever broken...

Sure, of course, but things now seem to be changing for the worse with the baht bus system. 

On taxis, we NEVER had a taxi meter system here. 

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Actions like this will make the drivers sit up and listen.

Iwas going to say sit up and think, but that is an alien concept to them.

Quite.  Would be better if they confiscated the vehicles rather than giving them back after 3 days.