Junta slammed as Pattaya "baht buses" taken off the street

webfact

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, johng said:

400 meter walk in the blazing sun with 20+ kilograms of "shopping" is not much fun

Lightweight. You need to get advice from the coffin dodgers that traipse between Big C Extra and their 300 baht/night flop on Arunothai about lugging bags of groceries on hot days on a narrow, busy streets without sidewalks.

People are speaking as if the motorcycle taxis have disappeared as well.

Though I have a car in Pattaya, I prefer to walk around and take the Songtaew...easy and convenient (and takes the stress off finding a place to park your car or dealing with the idiots on the motorcycles. The songtaews are part of the character of the city. Pattaya officials tried those little red busses a few years ago, and they were unreliable...did not know what time they would appear at the assigned stops (though there was  schedule).  True, the city junta managers need to work on the crime scene. Let's start off having foot patrols along some of the busy sois and Beach Promenade...or are the police too unfit to walk around and get to know their assigned neighborhoods for a "foot patrol"?

3 hours ago, toenail said:

Though I have a car in Pattaya, I prefer to walk around and take the Songtaew...easy and convenient (and takes the stress off finding a place to park your car or dealing with the idiots on the motorcycles. The songtaews are part of the character of the city. Pattaya officials tried those little red busses a few years ago, and they were unreliable...did not know what time they would appear at the assigned stops (though there was  schedule).  True, the city junta managers need to work on the crime scene. Let's start off having foot patrols along some of the busy sois and Beach Promenade...or are the police too unfit to walk around and get to know their assigned neighborhoods for a "foot patrol"?

If the Thais could imitate the good, old fashioned "Bobby" I believe that crime would reduce.

On 03/02/2017 at 0:43 PM, zorro1 said:

Damn the army is doing just about everything they said they would

They are not fighting high level corruption but bullying the poorest people.  There is no military outfit in the world capable of administering a civic society without destroying it. 

Baht buses are a pain in the arse but they're also a great way of getting around for tourists & Thais alike. The problem is there's just too many of them. Regulating where they stop ain't gonna work. Why would it? Total disregard for every other aspect of road law. Their numbers need to be restricted/reduced by town hall but I'm guessing there's a brown envelope system at play which ain't gonna change either...

On 03/02/2017 at 0:56 PM, zorro1 said:

Enforcing the law? It's never popular for certain groups.

A petty vindictive action.  Some times the law is an ass. The stop anywhere get on get off system worked very well in its elegant simplicity.  It was a major delight of freewheeling Pattaya.  The new system does not work for passengers or drivers.  It's total Bolleaux. 

On 8-2-2017 at 8:59 PM, The manic said:

A petty vindictive action.  Some times the law is an ass. The stop anywhere get on get off system worked very well in its elegant simplicity.  It was a major delight of freewheeling Pattaya.  The new system does not work for passengers or drivers.  It's total Bolleaux. 

But maybe it does work for the other people who drive in Pattaya. Its far safer this way and would certainly help the flow of traffic. 

Its vindictive if the police do not keep the red designated areas clear for the songtows: For the third time this week there has been a tour bus (jerk) parked in the middle  of a designated zone.

This morning in front of Central on Beach rd right next to police station a tour bus in zone . I get off songtow and see a ranking policemen in front of Police station and go over and "try" to inform him of the problem. He  did not seem to know what I was saying and just walked back into station.

Edited by morrobay

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

Its vindictive if the police do not keep the red designated areas clear for the songtows: For the third time this week there has been a tour bus (jerk) parked in the middle  of a designated zone.

This morning in front of Central on Beach rd right next to police station a tour bus in zone . I get off songtow and see a ranking policemen in front of Police station and go over and "try" to inform him of the problem. He  did not seem to know what I was saying and just walked back into station.

For the fourth time. Going down Pattaya Nua to beach just before Dusit curve and a tour bus is parked in designated red zone. where Im getting off. So I decide to tell the  tour bus driver about no parking : The driver is standing on sidewalk next to his bus, smoking of course , I point to red zone and say " this is for the songtows" he smiles and says OK. This new law could be all right if there were three times more designated zones and those zones kept clear. As of now just  another lost cause.

Edited by morrobay
add

18 minutes ago, morrobay said:

For the fourth time. Going down Pattaya Nua to beach just before Dusit curve and a tour bus is parked in designated red zone. where Im getting off. So I decide to tell the  tour bus driver about no parking : The driver is standing on sidewalk next to his bus, smoking of course , I point to red zone and say " this is for the songtows" he smiles and says OK. This new law could be all right if there were three times more designated zones and those zones kept clear. As of now just  another lost cause.

Your a one man enforcer..lol

On 2/10/2017 at 1:47 PM, morrobay said:

Next time carry a whistle and blow it in his face.  lol

On February 9, 2017 at 10:44 PM, morrobay said:

This whole thing is the initiative of the military junta so why on earth would their sworn enemy the police care?

On 10/02/2017 at 1:47 PM, morrobay said:

take pictures, let a Thai friend it post it on facebook on a Thai language page/group

"At least he made the trains run on time" - that's what they still say about Mussolini. but at what cost?

The great thing about governing without opposition is you can rule by dictum.

The advantage is that it cuts through all that red tape - the disadvantage is that if it is a stupid or inequitable idea, it still cuts through all that red tape.

ideas are implemented time and again without fully considering the ramifications and protests erupt.

I'm quite sure there are far too many Baht buses in Pattaya - and it would be great to see the amount of traffic in general reduced - but surely this needs to be part of a comprehensive public transport plane for the whole area? I see or hear of no such plan.....sudden knee-jerk reactions like this can only cause hurt anger and hardship for some affected at such short notice.

Edited by Alan Deer