Crash helmet campaign to be strengthened to promote bike safety

webfact

2 hours ago, sambum said:

"It said that in 2015, about 1.3 school-age children in Thailand regularly traveled on the back of motorcycles each day but only seven percent put on crash helmets. "

Lost in translation again?

Yea,I'm still trying to work out what 7% of 1.3 children is and what number is 30% of wearers that have quadrupled???????????????????

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, jimstar1 said:

I am horrified when I see mothers holding new born babies in their arms as their partners drive motor bikes and none of them are wearing helmets. I see it every day in Chiang Mai.  My partner works in the ICU at Chiang Mai Ram Hospital and shows me horrible photos and pictures on the internet of young children with their heads caved in and their bodies damaged with horrific injuries every day.  There will never be anything done as the police are too busy targeting tourists for 'tea money'.

Corrected

And  of course   in western  locations helmets  were invented at the  very same moment as  a motorcycle. And  that explains  why  there is  so  much  arrogant  contempt  for the  Thai  situation !  <deleted>!

Perhaps equivalent  taxes  should  be  applied as in the west  too! And  all  other regulations. It would  be  just  like  home  no?  So  why  be here?  To  feel  superior?

None of my four Thai children bothered wearing crash helmets on motorbikes before  their wicked stepfather came along and insisted that they did.

It didn't even seem to occur to them or their widowed mother- despite the fact that her late husband their father had died in a motorcycle accident while riding bareheaded!

Getting them to conform to what seemed to me a minor infringement of their person freedom was an uphill struggle. But in the end they all did me proud by bucking the trend and strapping on a helmet whenever they were on a bike as passenger or driver.

Just as well. A couple of years ago, my second eldest boy was knocked off his bike by a boy racer who died of severe head injuries in the same emergency ward where he was being being treated for minor cuts and bruises. The dead boy, unlike my lad, had not been wearing a crash helmet.

You'd think the moral of this story and thousands more like it would be painfully obvious to anyone. Yet, inexplicably, millions of Thai parents continue to shirk their responsibility to safeguard their children - with predictably horrendous and heartbreaking results.

16 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Every weekday morning, more than 100 bikes are parked on the road outside Prakhonchai Bus Station  by schoolkids from the nearby school. They are not allowed to take the bikes into school grounds unless thay have a licence and wear helmets.What a simple task it would be for the Police to be near the bus station at 4pm-after school -  and stop all the kids without helmets being worn, fine them and confiscate the bikes for 1 week. They are a sitting target! But of course that is too much trouble for our mighty Police, even though they could probably pocket half of what they fined the kids. 

It is time for everyone to start caring and do something about the horrific accidents that occur daily. 

I totaly agree with 90% of what you have said, I know about Prakhonchai and it is a lovely place,

but confiscating the bikes for a week would mean the children would miss school. I know the 

majority of parents are hard working farmers and particulary this year it has been very hard.

I don,t know the answer to this, even if the government were to supply helmets to all they

would still not wear them. Anyway why should we be concerned if they want to injure therselves.

20 hours ago, Thian said:

There is no single minute i don't see someone driving without helmet in BKK.

There is no single half minute i don't see someone driving against traffic.

There is no single year i see police on patrol and writing fines to ANY offenders.

There is no single minute i see a Thai (lady most often) driving 55 on the middle lane of a main road where 80 is the speed limit.

There is no single 3 minutes i don't see a Thai on the phone while driving a vehicle..

There is no single minute i don't see a car using it's indicatorlights.

But it's all the fault of the ones who's job it is to correct drivers...we all know who they are.

Well I am surprised you have never seen the police writing fines/tickets... I certainly have... as a recipient!. It is more about filling coffers for a festive season bash. Tourists are primary targets, Expats too as they are just longer staying tourists. Some locals too even, although many seem to be sent on their way, without helmet or whatever. An inability to pay or sob story seems to have the desired effect.

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Oh come on... the helmet law has been around for so many years yet there is not a single day that I don't see someone riding without. I even watched a policeman let a Thai guy ride off without one from a road stop just a day ago as another checked my licence. Children learn from adults so stupidity will prevail.

The guy probably told the policeman "My helm got stolen and I'm on my way to buy a new one".

For the policeman, being also a Thai, this was and is a valid excuse.

Learn to think as a Thai, makes life here so much easier.

Thai people like their freedom to do as they wish. Personally, I ride my m/c without a helmet and remember taking part in a demonstration against this law in 1992 at Sanam Luang, with Carabao heading. Most of you probably live here because of some of the freedoms Thailand gives you – especially in places like Pattaya where the prostitution laws are not enforced. Many of you prefer giving the cop 100 baht than going to the police station and paying 500. Many of you love standing on the back of a pickup with your kids during Songkran etc. Rather foolish expecting the same safety standards in a developing country than your own(that you choose not to live in). Yes, I’ve taken my kids on a m/c to school with no helmet. I wish my father had been able to do this with me. Call me an outlaw, I don't give a toss.

Please don’t tell Thai people what they can and can’t do, you self-righteous hypocrites.

15 hours ago, superal said:

How can a child be allowed to sit as pillion passenger at the age of 2 years . Shocking to see and scary . There should be a law introduced that states the pillion passengers feet must be able to sit on the foot rest .

How the authorities allow the constant infringement of driving/rider laws astounds me but I am almost beginning to accept it as it is a common daily occurrence .   When seeing the signs along the roadside with a picture of a rider wearing a helmet saying 100% , what a waste of money making and erecting them . 

Yeah, tell all parents with young kids they must buy  car or use a taxi to take their kids to school. Think before you write please.

I almost never see anyone wearing a helmet (unless they are commuting into Chiangmai). how are you going to enforce it?

yeah, I know... 'everybody lives in Bangkok, Phuket or Chiangmai' so you can station some police at a few vehicle traffic intersections etc....

but it'll only ever be a success if you do this an entirely different way... by getting folks to do their own thinking a bit more... and not just about helmets.

but famously, or maybe not, when the central administration took the first step in late 2005.... to get it started..... it resulted in overwhelming and quite organized opposition... so it has never been broached since then... the d word with 16 letters to it..

Edited by maewang99

Good idea even if is a little late. Wearing a crash helmet and wearing one that is certified to a safe standard are two different items.

I know it's like beating a dead horse, but until the police enforce the law, nothing will change.

1 hour ago, ThaiCitizen said:

Thai people like their freedom to do as they wish. Personally, I ride my m/c without a helmet and remember taking part in a demonstration against this law in 1992 at Sanam Luang, with Carabao heading. Most of you probably live here because of some of the freedoms Thailand gives you – especially in places like Pattaya where the prostitution laws are not enforced. Many of you prefer giving the cop 100 baht than going to the police station and paying 500. Many of you love standing on the back of a pickup with your kids during Songkran etc. Rather foolish expecting the same safety standards in a developing country than your own(that you choose not to live in). Yes, I’ve taken my kids on a m/c to school with no helmet. I wish my father had been able to do this with me. Call me an outlaw, I don't give a toss.

Please don’t tell Thai people what they can and can’t do, you self-righteous hypocrites.

Unfortunately there are always people who want to control others. But people moving to other countries, then wanting it to be like their home country are a special kind of person!

1 hour ago, ThaiCitizen said:

Just for you.

images (42).jpg

8 minutes ago, chrissables said:

What caused the accidents?

I had accidents on my bikes, can't quote exact %'s on whose fault but will go 25% mine 75% cars hitting or almost hitting me and causing me to come off, but that's not the point.

When my head hit the road it was inside an expensive good quality helmet and I walked away from the accident. In one case I know for sure I would not have walked away when I got T boned and my helmet hit the bottom edge of the car windscreen.

I can't see where the comfort would come from if you're lying on the road with your head split open and your last thought is on the lines of ' I know I wasn't wearing a helmet but at least the accident wasn't my fault'

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well I am surprised you have never seen the police writing fines/tickets... I certainly have... as a recipient!. It is more about filling coffers for a festive season bash. Tourists are primary targets, Expats too as they are just longer staying tourists. Some locals too even, although many seem to be sent on their way, without helmet or whatever. An inability to pay or sob story seems to have the desired effect.

I only see police putting wheelclamps lately and of course i see them at the checkpoints but NEVER during patrol.

Last months there was a policecar with wailing lights behind me, it passed me and went to drive behind a motocy with 5! helmetless universitygirls on it, driving on BKK ringroad (the frontroad) on the fast lane. The girls suddenly went driving on the left side but then the policecar went into a fuelstation and couldn't be bothered to stop the girls.

The absolutely can't be bothered to stop anybody and give them a fine. They could write fines every minute here in the subs but they don't.  They like to sit under a bridge watching traffic or controlling stoplights. They even drive without helmet themselves and also against traffic.

3 hours ago, bandito said:

The guy probably told the policeman "My helm got stolen and I'm on my way to buy a new one".

For the policeman, being also a Thai, this was and is a valid excuse.

Learn to think as a Thai, makes life here so much easier.

Well he was heading out of town away from the shops then.

Probably off home to get some money first!

How am I doing?

3 hours ago, ThaiCitizen said:

Yeah, tell all parents with young kids they must buy  car or use a taxi to take their kids to school. Think before you write please.

So what is your solution to the daily motorcycle carnage ?  I do not mind constructive criticism but yours is not and offers no alternatives but to condone the disastrous antics and habits of behaviour on Thailand's roads  when we all know there is massive room for safety improvement . A decent reliable public transport system would negate many of the problems . I am not advocating turning Thailand into a western country but if they could get the very basics right it would save many lives and misery . All children should be able to have access to safe public conveyance to school . Driver/rider/instruction should be part of their early education .Thailand needs to change its road safety record soon and it is under scrutiny from the WHO .

Just occurred to me that you are Thai and probably a funeral director .

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

Unfortunately there are always people who want to control others. But people moving to other countries, then wanting it to be like their home country are a special kind of person!

Last things I want to do are tell Thai people what to do and turn Thailand into my country.

I can see a difference between choice and informed choice.

I would hazard a guess that many fatalities due to head injures happen to children and youngsters riding motorbikes. It's most likely those kids have no concept or awareness of their head hitting the road or other objects at any speed.

Law enforcement may or may not work but showing the results of damage to the human head when helmetless might help.

Just to repeat, I don't want to change Thailand but informing people about a better way to take care of yourself, I see nothing wrong with it.

Edited by overherebc

9 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Last things I want to do are tell Thai people what to do and turn Thailand into my country.

I can see a difference between choice and informed choice.

I would hazard a guess that many fatalities due to head injures happen to children and youngsters riding motorbikes. It's most likely those kids have no concept or awareness of their head hitting the road or other objects at any speed.

Law enforcement may or may not work but showing the results of damage to the human head when helmetless might help.

Just to repeat, I don't want to change Thailand but informing people about a better way to take care of yourself, I see nothing wrong with it.

Lets face it, even with a helmet your girlfriend could look 'Foxy'

☺☺?

images (46).jpg

11 hours ago, oldgent said:

I totaly agree with 90% of what you have said, I know about Prakhonchai and it is a lovely place,

but confiscating the bikes for a week would mean the children would miss school. I know the 

majority of parents are hard working farmers and particulary this year it has been very hard.

I don,t know the answer to this, even if the government were to supply helmets to all they

would still not wear them. Anyway why should we be concerned if they want to injure therselves.

They could always humiliate the kids, like I was humiliated throughout my school years:

Image result for school bus

I got over it.  (And survived it)

Edit:  I've got friends who buy retired but serviceable school buses and donate them to schools in Latin American countries who are more than happy to put them to work taking their economically disadvantaged kids to school, and safely.  Can you imagine trying to donate a school bus to a poor school in Thailand- where it may improve the lives of dozens of kids?

Edited by impulse

35 minutes ago, impulse said:

They could always humiliate the kids, like I was humiliated throughout my school years:

Image result for school bus

I got over it.  (And survived it)

Edit:  I've got friends who buy retired but serviceable school buses and donate them to schools in Latin American countries who are more than happy to put them to work taking their economically disadvantaged kids to school, and safely.  Can you imagine trying to donate a school bus to a poor school in Thailand- where it may improve the lives of dozens of kids?

Whilst it might work in the USA and in Latin America, they drive on the other side of the road and the cost to convert a second hand LHD bus to RHD would be far more than the bus is worth. The bus doors on a LHD will open out onto the dangerous road side and not the safe side where there may even be a pavement. Then of course you have to import the bus into Thailand which is another kettle of fish, followed by getting it registered.

The idea is a good one but the practicalities of achieving it in Thailand are virtually zero. It would be cheaper to buy a new bus made in Thailand.

5 hours ago, maewang99 said:

I almost never see anyone wearing a helmet (unless they are commuting into Chiangmai). how are you going to enforce it?

yeah, I know... 'everybody lives in Bangkok, Phuket or Chiangmai' so you can station some police at a few vehicle traffic intersections etc....

but it'll only ever be a success if you do this an entirely different way... by getting folks to do their own thinking a bit more... and not just about helmets.

but famously, or maybe not, when the central administration took the first step in late 2005.... to get it started..... it resulted in overwhelming and quite organized opposition... so it has never been broached since then... the d word with 16 letters to it..

By enacting a law to make it compulsory to harvest the organs of the corpse...

7 hours ago, ThaiCitizen said:

It is irresponsible not to wear a helmet and one shouldn't need to explain why.