Opening a bank account on a tourist visa

1 hour ago, perthperson said:

Why not just read about what the banks require?  They all have web sites !  

Here is what the Bangkok Bank require to open an account. 

Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

• Passport and one of the following documents:
    2.1 A letter of reference from one of the following:
        • Embassy or international organization
        • An official document from another country, such as a document from the  relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds
        • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
        • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
        • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
        • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/Default.aspx

Meet  the requirements !  It's easy !

No its not you can read that take everything and still get bounced away. Every individual branch seems to have its own idea on foriegners opening a bank account.  For instance 3 weeks ago pattaya a friend tried BKK bank in central no joy cannot do. The branch up by big C same no can do need WP ect ect.

Went with him to my Failsafe BKK beach road armed with 10k cash cert of residence. And a smile no problem account opened in about 20 mins with a visa card not union pay. On a visa exempt. Before you ask easy got a letter from his hotel stating he was living there for 55 days plus of course the medical certificate.When asked about only 30 days on exempt by checkers at immigration  easy going to extend it by 30 days no hassle. lady at desk did him a cert for opening a bank account and one for car licence.

Edited by jeab1980
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

No its not you can read that take everything and still get bounced away. Every individual branch seems to have its own idea on foriegners opening a bank account.  For instance 3 weeks ago pattaya a friend tried BKK bank in central no joy cannot do. The branch up by big C same no can do need WP ect ect.

Went with him to my Failsafe BKK beach road armed with 10k cash cert of residence. And a smile no problem account opened in about 20 mins with a visa card not union pay. On a visa exempt. Before you ask easy got a letter from his hotel stating he was living there for 55 days. When asked about only 30 days on exempt by checkers easy going to extend it by 30 days no hassle.

Very true!!...each branch, each manager makes his own rules...a bit like the Immigration officers who interpret the laws in a very individual matter....to get back to the bank topic, if you walk into the bank accompanied by a customer who is known to the bank (for exemple the realestate developer/sales agentwho sold you your house for ex.), things just get done in a giffy as per western standards with all smiles and waï's!!

• Like 1

On 2/6/2017 at 8:34 AM, the guest said:

Banks are not allowed to open an account for tourists. 

i opened one one a visa-exempt years ago; only issue was that it was non-interest-bearing; that was the only type that they (BB) would allow me; after i was legitimized ( i forget either right after arrival on non-O visa or right after first extension) then i closed that one and opened  a 'normal' account, interest-bearing, transferring the money

Edited by YetAnother

21 hours ago, perthperson said:

Why not just read about what the banks require?  They all have web sites !  

Here is what the Bangkok Bank require to open an account. 

Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

• Passport and one of the following documents:
    2.1 A letter of reference from one of the following:
        • Embassy or international organization
        • An official document from another country, such as a document from the  relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension funds
        • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
        • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
        • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
        • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/Default.aspx

Meet  the requirements !  It's easy !

Passport is easy.

Most of the options for supporting documents won't be options for most people  -

Educational institution; customer waiting for work permit; etc.

I believe I read in one of these threads that someone went to their embassy and just got a letter verifying that the person indeed is the person in the passport picture and a citizen of that country (or something basic like that) and this letter was acceptable.

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I believe I read in one of these threads that someone went to their embassy and just got a letter verifying that the person indeed is the person in the passport picture and a citizen of that country (or something basic like that) and this letter was acceptable.

That's the first option in the list of documents you quoted, it's right there, "a letter of reference from ... Embassy". Some Western embassies charge a lot of money for this, and it likely requires a trip to Bangkok so it is often easier/cheaper just to get a residence cert from immigration which they will also take.

It depends on the branch, the issue is not that people cannot get the documents, absolutely *anyone* who is not on overstay can get at least one of the stated required documents, and you only need ONE OF, not all, so that you can't get "most" of them doesn't matter, you only need ONE.

The issue is that some branches have additional requirements or simply refuse to give accounts to people without a work permit. You have to just ask at a different branch until you find one that will- or engage a Thai agent to help you with it- they will know which branches are easy going and indeed may fulfil the "Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank" option- at least theoretically you only need a reference from another Bangkok Bank customer.

I did it myself on my own with the residence cert from immigration but there are agents that will handle the whole thing for you for not very much money, like 1,000B or even possibly less. It's not that difficult.

Edited by blorg

• 1 year later...
28 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

here is a 100 % sure branch bangkok bank around the corner soi 5 jomtien pattaya opposite the market/bar area but the catch they sell u an insurance traffic accidents for thh 5 k..

wbr

roobaa01

Oh, just tell them NO and I am sure you will still get the account.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm on USA tourist visa, intend to convert to retirement visa. I opened savings account at Ayuthya/Khrungsri Sukhumvit 31 in Bangkok with 1)passport 2)1-year condo contract 3)landlord's Thai ID copy 4) internet print of of us back account with decent balance 5)USA residential address. Long time, 7 tellers looking it over and talking about it. I received debit visa and mobile app. I needed letter of balance and source for visa purposes, they had issue with it. I asked Bangkok Bank at Central World. They offered savings account with passbook, no internet or mobile access. I had US embassy notarized form as to my Thai address. They said if I opened the account they must keep the original, which cost $50 and all day at the embassy. I said no thank you. I'll try another branch.

33 minutes ago, flbkk said:

I'm on USA tourist visa, intend to convert to retirement visa. I opened savings account at Ayuthya/Khrungsri Sukhumvit 31 in Bangkok...I needed letter of balance and source for visa purposes, they had issue with it...

As you now already have a savings account with Krungsri Bank you can get the letter of balance at the Krungsri branch in the same building where the Bangkok immigration office is. 

On 2/5/2017 at 9:21 PM, Munotlaw said:

Especially most of the Mabooklong branches are more than happy to serve Falangs. (another one SCB Tesco Lotus, Ratchada branch) 

With an US passport and SETV, I was able to open a Bangkok bank savings account after I got a certified copy of my US address from the US embassy (50 bucks and the process is same as income affidavit. You only take an oath under perjury. They even did not look at my state driver's license for address verification), a lease document for my Thai address, and 500 baht initial deposit. No online access was given but phone banking and ATM card was there. After I got an O-A visa, they updated the account for online access. 

Edited by onera1961