webfact

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I was at a restaurant last night which caters 100% to foreigners.  The waitress couldn't understand our order and we had to point to get things correct.  English language skills here are terrible.

No worse than the Thai language skills of many foreigners who live here and have to point to items on a menu.

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

restaurants and thai people working in it.for us that is normal.But here they made the laws in a different way.

Funny that, how dare Thailand makes rules for itself, and not have the same rules as other countries. 

21 hours ago, maxpower said:

Oh no its a work permit thread. The armchair judges are pondering, 10 pages to follow.

no that reserved for us with a farm, 

we cant work,,,lol

got to go ive got another 3oo blocks to lay to make more red claw crayfish ponds,,

22 hours ago, maxpower said:

Oh no its a work permit thread. The armchair judges are pondering, 10 pages to follow.

I really don't get why any expat here would care if another expat is working with a work permit or not.

What business is it of theirs? 

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

You are the one I feel sorry for.   You can't grasp the fact that a foreign language with different vocal sounds has a different word for Ice Cream.

Thai for Ice Cream is "Ay Sa Cream"      https://translate.google.com/#th/en/ไอศครีม

"I Tim" is more of a casual way to say Ice Cream   https://translate.google.com/#th/en/ไอ ติม

Lol. Another genius who doesnt understand sarcasm/parody. The ay sa cream thingy i had mentioned myself when u were still searching Google translate.... 555

3 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

There's hope.  After a decade, you can actually learn to ignore the prison guard.  Peruse like a free man/woman.  

The other technique is to ask them to get you a drink right away---usually enough time to make your menu choice.  

But we digress.....

It made me laugh because its true but it does not get on my nerves at all, I speak enough Thai to joke telling I hope they are patient since I a not a quick person:smile:

...sorry mods I wont disgress any more :jap:

35 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

No worse than the Thai language skills of many foreigners who live here and have to point to items on a menu.

The Thai language is extremely hard to learn.  One of the hardest languages to learn, actually.  The Thai alphabet is not Roman.  It takes years for most to be able to learn to read Thai.

English is the global language.  Thailand just refuses to teach it properly.  There aren't even English language shows on Thai TV.  I've seen English language shows in many countries around the world during my travels.  I'm not talking about cable.

Don't blame foreigners for not learning Thai.  Many of us only live here part time.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Another one who has never been to BKK but instead eats from streetfood "restaurants" and  thinks i also visit those dirty places.

Where i eat the food costs about the same as in Europe, beer even much more. So i expect some decent service yes and a knife if i order a mixed grill....and not a breakfast knife. But of course that's too hard for you to undastaaaan.

Hi-so restaurants have LOADS of european dishes, but of course you've never been to those places.

Have you ever heard them say wine?? If you say it the english way they have no idea what you're talking about.

Actually I've been here since 2004. How long have you been here? You obviously are too arrogant to integrate into society here...How do you know where I eat? Sometimes I eat street food and sometimes, whenever I want, I eat in 'HI-so' restaurants. Your assumptions and arrogance is shocking. People like you should be stopped from leaving your home countries. It would be easier for everyone especially you... I've had some wonderful service in up market restaurants here. Perhaps it's your manner and demeanour that puts the staff off... Have a nice day. I will because I'm happy living in this wonderful, vibrant metropolis. It must be terrible living in a place where you detest local culture. Perhaps time to leave and be happy somewhere else?

43 minutes ago, Mook23 said:

Lol. Another genius who doesnt understand sarcasm/parody. The ay sa cream thingy i had mentioned myself when u were still searching Google translate.... 555

Sarcasm doesn't work very well in writing.   I honestly thought you were being serious.

5 hours ago, mikiea said:

dude only have 1 shirt ?

Falang sokkaprok ?

And a french waiter cuz he can speak frenglish is genius too ?

The guy has thai citizenship. He can work where he wants. Me thinks. And i appreciate his work ethos! Hes not some old bitter changophile.... with a bg teerak.

Bien fait mon grand! Bisous. Xxx

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Figure it out your self!

Your post. " My country is full with Thai restaurants and Thai people working in it. For us that is normal. But here they made the laws in a different way. " Again, I ask what point are you attempting to make ?

We all know the laws are different here. It's been that way for eons.

Most replies offer something helpful, informative, positive, argumentative, supportive or possibly humorous.

Your post is a bit like telling us all that night comes after day & if you stand out in the rain for long enough you'll get wet. It's common knowledge. So, again I ask, what point are you trying to make ?

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

The Thai language is extremely hard to learn.  One of the hardest languages to learn, actually.  The Thai alphabet is not Roman.  It takes years for most to be able to learn to read Thai.

English is the global language.  Thailand just refuses to teach it properly.  There aren't even English language shows on Thai TV.  I've seen English language shows in many countries around the world during my travels.  I'm not talking about cable.

Don't blame foreigners for not learning Thai.  Many of us only live here part time.

I've seen two English language show on Thai TV, one with Adam Bradshaw and one with Ajarn Chris Wright both luck krung with a perfect knowlege of both languages and both rather famous among many Thai People by the way.

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

I really don't get why any expat here would care if another expat is working with a work permit or not.

Let's all work without work permits, nobody's business! 

People with work permits are pissed because they jumped through the hoops to get legit while other go meh, I do what i wanna.

22 hours ago, Thian said:

............google maps but even that doesn't work properly cause you can't download a free map of Bangkok....

What the hell are you talking about.  Google maps does not require you to download anything.  You just need an internet connection and have your GPS turned on.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

The Thai alphabet is not Roman.  It takes years for most to be able to learn to read Thai.

English is the global language. 

So let me get this right, you want a Thai to learn a new Language (just as hard for a Thai to learn English, as it is for us to learn Thai) in there country, in case a foreigner comes to there country and wants to speak English???

I've heard stupid arguments before, but this one just takes the cake.

I'm going to go to your home country and demand they speak in Thai, because you know, im the tourist there and they have to please me and make my life easier.

25 minutes ago, DrTuner said:
1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Let's all work without work permits, nobody's business! 

People with work permits are pissed because they jumped through the hoops to get legit while other go meh, I do what i wanna

Except that the majority of people on here who complain about people not having work permits seem to be the retired blokes.

If I have to jump through hoops to get something done and I meet someone who didn't, then I actually admire them, they've obviously figured out how to make their life easier.

14 minutes ago, seancbk said:

If I have to jump through hoops to get something done and I meet someone who didn't, then I actually admire them, they've obviously figured out how to make their life easier.

Problem is the easiest and most profitable jobs tend to be illegal. Life sucks and then you die.

Edited by DrTuner
+s

39 minutes ago, psyvolt said:

So let me get this right, you want a Thai to learn a new Language (just as hard for a Thai to learn English, as it is for us to learn Thai) in there country, in case a foreigner comes to there country and wants to speak English???

I've heard stupid arguments before, but this one just takes the cake.

I'm going to go to your home country and demand they speak in Thai, because you know, im the tourist there and they have to please me and make my life easier.

If you deal with foreigners, or work in an international business, then yes, English is required.  If you live in Issan and never see foreigners, then no.  Not necessary.  I had an opportunity to work in the international department with one of my countries.  Learning Japanese was a requirement.  I didn't get the job. LOL

When I was spending time in Spanish speaking countries, I had a fairly good command of the language.  Could easily read it.  I've tried and tried to learn Thai.  Just can't do it other than some very basic stuff.  But at least I've tried!

Why should anybody know Thai in, say, Vegas, where I come from?  Absolutely not necessary.  Even in Thai restaurants.  The problem with your argument is then a restaurant worker in Vegas would need to learn some 50 languages in case somebody popped by who couldn't speak English?  Really? LOL  Kind of a stupid argument also.

Why does everyone on this forum assume when a 'farang' is seen working it's assumed he must be working illegally?  My guess is that he's working legally.  Some time ago there was a similar outcry when a video of a farang lady was running a stall in Khao San Road.  She was married to a Thai and went through the procedure of gaining Thai citizenship.  The system works equally for a farang man married to a Thai lady.  Complete the requirements and you can acquire citizenship.

Never assume..... You know it makes an ASS out of U and ME.

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:
17 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Problem is the easiest and most profitable jobs tend to be illegal. Life sucks and then you die.

Yeah, having no legs and trying to sell burgers, flogging Som Tam on the street or working in a restaurant.....  all evil occupations that harm everyone.

Now I understand why these people raise the ire of some TVF members.

3 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Why does everyone on this forum assume when a 'farang' is seen working it's assumed he must be working illegally?  My guess is that he's working legally.  Some time ago there was a similar outcry when a video of a farang lady was running a stall in Khao San Road.  She was married to a Thai and went through the procedure of gaining Thai citizenship.  The system works equally for a farang man married to a Thai lady.  Complete the requirements and you can acquire citizenship.

Never assume..... You know it makes an ASS out of U and ME.

You might be right.  I don't see being a waiter in the list of prohibited jobs here:

http://www.thailawonline.com/en/others/labour-law/forbidden-occupations-for-foreigners-jobs.html

Then again, work permits are not easy to get.  And not cheap.