AIS to show HBO channels

snoop1130

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, our TV's are all LG, all slim, all bought about 4 years ago.

From my very limited knowledge 'Smart TV' is much more recent technology.

Is that correct?

Thanks.

My 18-month-old Samsung 60" smart TV (in the U.S.) has smart technology that is extremely simple to use. It simple eliminates the need for a set-top box. Press "Smart Hub" on the remote and you can then choose from a number of streaming services including Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu. Nothing else, but I imagine newer models offer more options.  Since I download video material including HBO as well, and have basic satellite TV, I'm good to go.

Those of you who have DirecTV in the States and are planning to move to or visit anywhere overseas, keep your DirecTV service and use DirecTVs mobile app--it has all the same channels that you subscribe to. You just need a functioning VPN and sufficient download speed. Make sure you have the original US-based Netflix and Amazon for on-demand streaming, if desired.

Edited by Dustdevil

Myself I use chrome cast in with ez cast and also Apple TV.my wife is a Internet sleuth and finds me all the latest entertainment for free.the other good one is ilikehd tv.no contracts,pay for what you want packages monthly.im happy to pay 699b a month for Internet and Thai tv crap.also I share it with the bungalow I rent out so I get bogof.(buy one get one free).i can't see the point of paying big money for loads of channels I'll never watch but everyone has their own choice.its a pity I can't rent the wife out to go load up people with their daily entertainment with a happy ending thrown in.

1 minute ago, Dustdevil said:

My 18-month-old Samsung 60" smart TV (in the U.S.) has smart technology that is extremely simple to use. It simple eliminates the need for a set-top box. Press "Smart Hub" on the remote and you can then choose from a number of streaming services including Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu. Nothing else, but I imagine newer models offer more options.  Since I download video material including HBO as well, and have basic satellite TV, I'm good to go.

Yes, as long as Samsung integrates the AIS application in a new release and you update to it. That might happen but maybe only in Thailand?

An Android box, or other device (like Chromecast) with networking and HDMI, might be simpler, and available sooner? This may be why AIS plans to resell Chromecast?

I couldn't find the powerpoint, but it seems like this was a small part of yesterday's presentation...

AIS Vision 2017: Introducing Digital for Thais to Help Drive Thailand 4.0 Roadmap. 

http://investor.ais.co.th/news.html/id/566757/group/newsroom_press

HBO Go is darn good. You get all the documentaries, plus archived original HBO content on demand. And, of course, their full catalog of non-doc films. I watched HBO almost exclusively and didn't felt I was missing out on much. I had no cable or satellite TV package and was very satisfied with it.

BTW, HBO Go is all on demand. When you pause a program you're watching it will resume at the stoppage point when you start viewing again  .

Edited by Ramen087

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Give us a link to what you mention above.   If AIS wants Bt1,490/month for HBO channels they "will not" be getting any of my business.

Give us the link of what you posted above.  I googled your entry above and came up with nothing.  And I don't see anything mentioned about Bt1,490 in the opening post article.

Edit: never mind...some more googling found the article...see below.  That price has something to do with Chromecast.  And as I mentioned in my earlier post the article says customers will be able to view the HBO channels on the AIS Playbox which comes with AIS Fibre internet plans.  The AIS Playbox is provided free by AIS with their internet plans....like how ISPs provide a free router....AIS provides a free router(s) and Playbox.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/google-chromecast-to-launch-in-thailand-ais-to-start-streaming-hbo/19736/

That is about the price I paid for the Chromecast device that plugs into the HDMI port on the TV. 

2 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

Those of you who have DirecTV in the States and are planning to move to or visit anywhere overseas, keep your DirecTV service and use DirecTVs mobile app--it has all the same channels that you subscribe to. You just need a functioning VPN and sufficient download speed. Make sure you have the original US-based Netflix and Amazon for on-demand streaming, if desired.

Yes, for Americans, if you got in on the opening ATT $35-a-month promotion for DirecTV's 100 channels plan, it works fine here with a U.S. IP address.

Not just via their mobile app, but also other platforms such as Fire TV box or stick, and also via their Windows PC app. Unfortunately, right now, there's no DirecTV Now app for the Android TV platform, though there is for Android smartphones and tablets.

The bad news, though, is the original $35 a month promotion is no longer valid for new subscriptions, and that same plan is now $60 or so a month for new customers.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, as long as Samsung integrates the AIS application in a new release and you update to it. That might happen but maybe only in Thailand?

An Android box, or other device (like Chromecast) with networking and HDMI, might be simpler, and available sooner? This may be why AIS plans to resell Chromecast?

Relying on smart TV platforms to support new services and apps is often a real c**p shoot, and it will depend on how/where AIS deploys the app/apps for their HBO related services.

For example, what apps Samsung makes available to its U.S. smart TVs probably is not going to be the same as for its Thailand TV market. And likewise with the Google Play Store, in the past, AIS apps that were available to devices registered in Thailand wouldn't be available to devices registered in the U.S.

That's the reason I too would tend to always prefer to rely on external devices like Fire TVs or Chromecasts and Rokus, and Android TV boxes to a lesser extent. Because they're relatively low cost, are routinely upgraded to newer/better technologies, and probably are more likely to be able to access new apps sooner vs. waiting for smart TV manufacturers to update the older TVs they've already sold (and at point, don't seem too interested in supporting with further upgrades).

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

Does this mean viewing on typical modern TV set, or viewing on notebook, ipad, etc?

These days what you can see on your computer screen can easily be made to appear on your TV screen.

On 2/7/2017 at 0:46 PM, shariq607 said:

These are the channels going to be provided by Ais!
Time to ditch Expensive Truevisions.

5a099b6b211ff1894662a9fc9ae663ff.jpg

Looks like a pretty complete equivalent to a full Thai cable TV package, without the "cable."

No mention of pricing for those channels, as yet?

Also, I wonder how they're going to handle the EN vs TH language audio issue on the various HBO and Fox channels they'll be delivering via the PlayBox platform?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I also wonder if they will allow more than one Playbox per internet subscription.   What an AIS Fibre rep told me about two months ago is they only allow one Playbox per internet connection.   

I called AIS about two months ago to ask a couple of "curiosity" questions and one of those was can I get a second Playbox.   The answer was not as only one Playbox was allowed per internet plan/line.  The only way to get another Playbox was to have a second AIS internet plan/line installed.  That sounds strange, but that is what the rep said.  But I bet with AIS expanding their IPTV capability they will change that policy....if that policy is truly the current policy.  I even asked the AIS CSR again, are you sure?   She said yes.

Well, the channels on the right side of the screen are just free-to-air channels available already available on AIS IPTV, TrueVisions, and as mentioned free-to-air satellite/cable.   

That screen shot seems to show mostly free to air type channels on the right side and mostly premium channels on the left side.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Watching "AIS Play" app on an Android box plugged into my TV by HDMI lead. Subscribed to "Premium HD" package at 299 baht per month (automically recurs monthly for 12 months).

Internet provided by TrueOnline, 50 meg package, speed tests typically return dl speeds over 60 meg. 

Lots of channels including the important HBO cadre. Picture is full HD but motion is slightly jumpy. Perfectly watchable, but not a perfect viewing experience.

Meanwhile NetFlix is always perfect as is Kodi running Exodus add-on. 

Anyone getting a smooth video stream out of AIS Play? What setup are you using?

11 hours ago, Captain Jack said:

Watching "AIS Play" app on an Android box plugged into my TV by HDMI lead. Subscribed to "Premium HD" package at 299 baht per month (automically recurs monthly for 12 months).

Internet provided by TrueOnline, 50 meg package, speed tests typically return dl speeds over 60 meg. 

Lots of channels including the important HBO cadre. Picture is full HD but motion is slightly jumpy. Perfectly watchable, but not a perfect viewing experience.

I have the same setup for AIS but it doesn't work. The channels stop showing the motion picture but sound only.

On IPad it works with no problem. Because of AIS Simcard

I guess AIS detects that I using True at home and blocks the signal somehow :( AIS Fiber not available at my home :( 

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I will be interested to see AIS's image compression and if they have a huge number of logos stuck all over the programs. True's garbage makes it unwatchable for me.

Picture quality is FUll HD. No AIS logos. Just the Channel logos.

34 minutes ago, Lammbock said:

it is full HD but how compressed is the image? I can hardly stand to watch some programing here in Thailand due to all the image artifacting. I will check out AIS's stream. 

ever wonder why programs on your new TV NEVER looks like the demo video in the store?

" Lossy data compression involves discarding some of the media's data so that it becomes simplified enough to be stored within the desired disk space or be transmitted (or streamed) within the bandwidth limitations (known as a data rate or bit rate for media that is streamed). If the compressor could not reproduce enough data in the compressed version to reproduce the original, the result is a diminishing of quality, or introduction of artifacts. Alternatively, the compression algorithm may not be intelligent enough to discriminate between distortions of little subjective importance and those objectionable to the viewer."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_artifact

I think some TV's "cope" better with digital artifacts than others.
On my 50 inch plasma 720P H264 encoded ,dont know what bitrate but about 350 Mb per 40 minute tv episodes and 1Gb per movie look fine to me....yes they are not super duper 4K quality
but perfectly watchable.

7 hours ago, Lammbock said:

I have the same setup for AIS but it doesn't work. The channels stop showing the motion picture but sound only.

On IPad it works with no problem. Because of AIS Simcard

I guess AIS detects that I using True at home and blocks the signal somehow :( AIS Fiber not available at my home :( 

As I said, I'm using TrueOnline and watching AIS Play with no problems.  Don't assume AIS are blocking you, why would they, they want you to pay for their channel packages.

FYI I'm using a Minix X8H-Neo box running Android 4.4.2. Other's have complained of problems with older boxes, so maybe you need to upgrade?

19 hours ago, Captain Jack said:

Update:  I've discovered 'clicking'  in the viewing window brings up a menu that (among other things) allows you to change what it calls the "video quality" between "auto", "low" and "High".  Switching from auto to low seems to have resulted in a slight decrease in image quality (movies now look like 700 megabyte mp4 files instead of 1500 megabyte ones) but has resolved the jumpy image problem.

I still wouldn't say this is perfect.  NetFlix streams look MUCH better on the same device, so it's definitely an issue with AIS, either their encoding, transmission rates, or decoding software in the app.

Still brilliant to have Cinemax back though :)