What size concrete for the pool base?

carlyai

The proposed pool is to be an in-ground concrete and steel rectangular pool. The dimensions are: 14 m X 4 m X 1.5 m (average).

The deep end will be 2 m deep and a length of 3 m, then a transition of 8 m to a depth of 1 m for 3 m. So it will have a deep end of 2 m and a shallow end of 1m.

I have a good adviser(s) (including the farmers across the road who will be helping me build the pool). It's out the back of Isaan.

So I've measured and staked out the pool waiting for the digger to come, and was looking at some structural drawings on the WWW, that seemed to make me a bit excited.

I did propose the slab to be 20 cm thickness, but a reply from structural people: "Regarding the concrete floor I would suggest to be made 35-40cm since we are not sure what the condition of the soil compaction underneath is. The 20cm thickness would demand compaction of 99% to avoid differential settlement."

So here is my problem: 40 cm slab thickness seems BIG, but I'm not a structural engineer, just an old teacher.

I could get one of those compactors that they use on roads, little hand driven things, but is that going to compact the soil to 99%?

I would like some constructive comments, and not telling me I'm a <deleted> and to go back to Aus.

300mm seems to be in the right ballpark with a compacted crushed rock base ,don't forget suitable reinforcing as the thin off the shelf steel mesh will not be sufficient.

Had a quick trawl through the web and found this site .

https://www.allswimltd.com/pdf/ConcreteConstructionGuide07.pdf

When it comes to the plumbing don't forget to put in two main drains interlinked instead of one as shown in the diagram and also increase on the no os skimmers.

If the area has low water table do not forget hydrostatic valve .

If in doubt get a trail  trench dug so as you may see for yourself the make  up of the ground and perhaps get an opinion of an engineer.

Edited by sappersrest

I posted this yesterday, and it didn't show up, so I thought this post was lost.

Thanks for your reply, but last night I decided to go with a 40 cm concrete base slab.

The reasons are that I'm not that confident about the soil on our land and the pool will be 2 odd meters deep. We did put in some fill, and I don't think it was filled before, but there is clay present, and the water table is fairly high. Also if I am going to put in 2 layers of rebar, there won't be much cement in between the rebar for a 30 cm pour.

I thank you for the link for reference. I was initially going to use large 30 cm blocks, but only CCP Chonburi make them. Then was going to use two 7 cm block runs to form a cavity, and fill the cavity with cement and rebar. Finally decided on a supported frame for the walls. (I think my building team seem to be happier with a frame).

The next problem is the plastic rebar support chairs which I can't find in Thailand. See lots of places where they make their own, but have found some structural sites on the www that advise against this. I suppose I'll have to go get them from China or make my own.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

On clay 300mm hardcore compacted in 100mm layers.

300mm concrete with 16mm rebar cage at least 150mm between top and bottom, 200mm squares.

CCP block is best.

Use waterstop on base/wall joint.

Leave 35mm gap between base and rebar to let concrete aggregate flow.

Render, start with spatterdash strong (2:1) mix, then 2 layers render (3:1) & (3.5:1) use PORTLAND cement.

Waterproof Crocodile 2k.

Mate, there's loads to consider here before you start.

I built similar sized pool last year. PM me and I can send some design considerations and photos plus some drgs for things like waterstop.

Big learning curve and there are some things I'd do differently.

I could write a book.

• 1 month later...

Pool and spa were helpful with a drawing and plan for plumbing that I paid a couple thousand THB for.  Opal Sonakul <[email protected]>Sonakul <[email protected]> is the contact there.  On the drawings they supplied they show a 20cm re enforced concrete slab and I would have thought that will do unless you are building on mud.  I am going to build a pool soon and plan to use  good quality concrete block filled with rebar and concrete for the walls Rendered after with webber or similar product and then tiled.  There are some good postings on U tube about this technique.  I will be interested to know hop you get along.  We are in Isaan too about 100km n of Buriram.  Also curious about what your costs work out at.   Prices here in Thailand never cease to surprise me with their variation fo the same or similar products and services.

Mate, you need a swimming pool advisor. Someone you can pay for 'remote control advise'.
Grollies will probably give you great helpful advice as well. Your building staff will 'know everything' and give you advice as well.
SWMBO will also give you lots of advice. All the community will give you advice, but at the end of the day, you need a pool advisor that you trust, and then you can compare all the other data ( data as against information ).
Don't know the dimensions of your pool, but 20 cm seems light on.
There are a large number of things to consider, when building a pool in Isaan, and it may well be better to get the Surin pool mob (Paul seems a nice guy, but never met him), rather than increase your sleepless nights and beer consumption. Lucky I haven't smoked for 30 years.
Only too willing to help. [emoji16]

20 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Grollies, I meant that as a positive, sorry I mixed it with the negatives. Biggles out.

No worries mate :biggrin:

@sappersrest is the best on here for advice IMO. Lots of good advice from others also.