Russian Tourist dies after being hit by a Ducati Super bike on Pattaya second road

webfact

When you're crossing the roads in Thailand you have to look left and right, then left and right again , and another left and right until you cossed it.. The russian was probably drunk as well and had no chance.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Hard to respect a culture that has lack of proper driving education and training from the get go...

unable to resolve problems that require some level of thinking...

You must mean the foreigners' culture because there were no Thais involved in this accident (except for the unfortunate baht bus driver who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time).

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Do they drive on the same side of the road as here?  I know when I first came, it took me some time to get use to this...always looking the wrong way!

RIP to this poor chap. 

Given numerous examples and close shaves over the years here, it is best to assume they drive on your side, no matter what direction may be the legal one. Include sidewalks in looking all directions before making any sort of movement (but being stationary is also dangerous). Assume they are trying to kill you is best policy

2 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

You must mean the foreigners' culture because there were no Thais involved in this accident (except for the unfortunate baht bus driver who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time).

NOOOOOOOOOO, LOS lets anyone drive high power stuff...It's on their door step.....NO CONTROL....

Edited by transam

1 hour ago, 4737 Carlin said:

In civilized countries there are speed limits which are enforced. Many a***ole bikers in Pattaya seem to think they can ride as fast as they like and its upto pedestrians to jump out of the way. These lazy, arrogant p****s should try walking or using a baht bus. Too many bikes in Pattaya already - tourists and expats should not be allowed to hire or buy motorcyles.

Yeah righty o.stop tourists going to the beaches because they might drown,stop jet ski rental,stop car rental and make everyone sell their bikes and scooters and buy cars.just because it was a big bike,it could of been a scooter or tuk tuk speeding and as it looks and was reported the baht bus may of killed him..also in the report the victim stepped out into the road without looking which I would say is the main cause of this accident.if I went to cross the road without looking I wouldn't be here writing this comment today.

Do they drive on the same side of the road as here?  I know when I first came, it took me some time to get use to this...always looking the wrong way!

RIP to this poor chap. 

On the right in Russia. Driving on the left is one of the few advantages of being British!.

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

It's is crazy riding fast downtown, I have done over 15k km on my current scooter and it's +75% downtown.

Depending of traffic density I typically goes app 40-60km/h and yet I sometimes had to brake very hard to avoid hitting some tourist just walking out in front of me.

Yes possibly something to do with left/right side driving confusing people and then at 03:30am on top.

RIP to the young Russian.

A few times i have had Russian people just walk out in from of me when i am riding my scooter. They seem to think it's your job to miss them rather than look where they are going, strange really.

28 minutes ago, balo said:

When you're crossing the roads in Thailand you have to look left and right, then left and right again , and another left and right until you cossed it.. The russian was probably drunk as well and had no chance.

You sound like you'd be easy to spot then.

Just about most things that are bad for tourists in Pattaya seem to happen between 2.30 am and dawn. Good things can also happen in that time span but I expect for those tourists they are already in bed.

3 hours ago, trogers said:

Russians from villages are not used to busy roads...

That's a heartless statement! Why not blame the Ducati rider (regardless of nationality) for speeding. He should be reminded that the speed limit in built up areas is 60kph (and in some even 50kph), and if he obeyed the law he could have avoided the accident altogether.

RIP to this poor chap. 

2nd Road is a one way street!

For both people and the families involved very sad.
Driving license or not, a walking license is to required, and it was the pedestrian who started the carnage. 

Edited by KKr

6 minutes ago, KKr said:

For both people and the families involved very sad.
Driving license or not, a walking license is to required, and it was the pedestrian who started the carnage. 

Perhaps a mandatory 1 sqm white flag to be slung over the heads of walking Russians?

2 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

In civilized countries there are speed limits which are enforced. Many a***ole bikers in Pattaya seem to think they can ride as fast as they like and its upto pedestrians to jump out of the way. These lazy, arrogant p****s should try walking or using a baht bus. Too many bikes in Pattaya already - tourists and expats should not be allowed to hire or buy motorcyles.

Here in Phuket there are many motorcyclists such as you describe. Now in the high season, young guys on overblown 300cc scooters are a menace. 

Agree with Nakhonandy, proper licensing (on the basis of TRAINING) is what's missing (and law enforcement).

Can't understand why you think licensed expats and tourists shouldn't be permitted to rent or own motorbikes? You reckon motorcycle ownership should be based on race? Or ethnicity? Or maybe religion? Is it like that in your country? No, its based on age and licencing.

4 minutes ago, phil2407 said:

In the UK we had the Tufty Club and  the Green X man - both about crossing roads - look and listen - look left then right then left again - if safe cross but keep looking 

True, but Tufty didn't have to deal with ar5eholes who consider it more important to concentrate on their mobile device rather than road safety. Don't know what the Green Cross Man would have made of that.

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

RIP to this poor chap. 

Being from Australia, i have had the same experience but opposite side. Nearly got wiped out by a bus in Argentina but for another pedestrian grabbing me. It can happen in the blink of an eye. RIP. 

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

RIP to this poor chap. 

Sai Song is a one-way road there. Assuming there were any vehicles on the road, it should be fairly obvious from which direction they were coming. Surely whatever country you're from you've managed to deal with one-way roads regardless of which direction the traffic is flowing.

38 minutes ago, phil2407 said:

In the UK we had the Tufty Club and  the Green X man - both about crossing roads - look and listen - look left then right then left again - if safe cross but keep looking 

I remember both of these and they were aimed at schoolchildren walking to and from schools. That doesn't seem to happen so much these days. Tourists in a foreign country in the early hours of the morning with brain and senses dulled by too much booze are onto a loser.

4 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

In the UK when I was a kid they used to have regular road safety slots on TV. 

The emphasis was on look twice and in both directions, it worked, I still do it now.

So do I in Thailand, even on a one-way street. Even if it isn't, as so many think that driving on the left is only optional and not a legal requirement. Vital precaution. We need to undertake not only defensive driving but defensive walking in this lunatic asylum.

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Aren't both sides of Soi8 one way anyway which would make it arbitrary?

I don't think you could travel at high speeds on Soi 8!  The topic says 2nd road.  I've seen bikes going crazy fast on that road.  Especially at that time of the morning when it's relatively quiet.

Edited.

Edited by craigt3365

4 hours ago, 01322521959 said:

I have awful trouble adjusting myself to look to the left when crossing the road in Laos. I bet that is what happened here. Very sad. Though excess speed of the bike was proberbly also to blame.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

And probably the Songtaew finished it all off.

And who says the bike was going too fast, it was going fast, but so was the bahtbus.

But easy, a foreigner was killed by another foreigner.

End of story.

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

RIP to this poor chap. 

I was taught to look both ways before crossing a road... always worked for me !!