United pilot replaced after intercom rant while dressed as civilian

webfact

United pilot replaced after intercom rant while dressed as civilian

REUTERS

r5.jpg

People walk at the United Airlines terminal at the Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey, July 8, 2015. REUTERS/Eduardo Munoz/File Photo

REUTERS - United Airlines replaced a pilot before takeoff on Saturday after she boarded in civilian clothes and told passengers over the intercom that both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton were liars and that she was getting a divorce, witnesses said.

The airline on Sunday declined to identify the pilot or comment beyond a previous statement apologizing to customers, many of whom left the plane out of concern for their safety.

The flight from Austin, Texas, to San Francisco took off with a new pilot about 90 minutes late, passengers said.

"She shows up dressed like a civilian and asked us to take a vote to see whether we should have her change into her uniform or fly as is," passenger Pam O'Neal told KPIX television upon landing in San Francisco.

"She started off by saying that she had not voted for either Trump or Clinton because they're a bunch of liars. ... It just really sort of went downhill from there and didn't make a lot of sense to any of us," she said.

Passenger Randy Reiss tweeted throughout the event, at first saying, "I'm shaking right now. I just left my @united flight 455 'cos the captain demonstrated that she was not mentally in a safe space."

She then mentioned she was going through a divorce, commented on a interracial couple in the first-class section by saying "yay unity," and told Reiss he did not have to fly if he felt uncomfortable, Reiss said.

Reiss tweeted a photo of her back in the terminal speaking with two uniformed officers.

"She was crying. She apologized. I wished her well & said I hope she gets the help she needs," Reiss said.

United spokesman Charles Hobart said the airline would not comment beyond Saturday's statement.

"We hold our employees to the highest standards and replaced the pilot with a new one to operate the flight, which has since departed Austin. We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience," the statement said.

(Reporting by Daniel Trotta in New York; Editing by Frank McGurty and Andrea Ricci)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-13

United thought of it as an "inconvenience?" I would call that a helluva scare for people who would have to entrust their collective lives to a raving pilot. Some were apparently traumatized like the shaking Tweeter.

So what's the responsibility/protocol of a copilot when the pilot shows up like this? Or symptoms like this manifest themselves in mid flight?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

About high time that those pilots that hold the life and death of hundreds of people in their hand will be thoroughly vetted for their mental capacity, As an ex pilot myself, I know that there're yearly physicals in order to asses you general health, now it seems that mental health also should be looked at.....

United thought of it as an "inconvenience?" I would call that a helluva scare for people who would have to entrust their collective lives to a raving pilot. Some were apparently traumatized like the shaking Tweeter.

So what's the responsibility/protocol of a copilot when the pilot shows up like this? Or symptoms like this manifest themselves in mid flight?

Yes, people are traumatized easily these days.
The pilot was replaced, nothing happened.

sent using Tapatalk

Ordinarily, I'd say something about upping her medication, but that's probably not the solution for airline pilots.  

At least she got replaced before she flew the thing into the side of a mountain.  

Not easy or cheap to work your way up into the front end of a big name airline jet.  Losing husband, probably fired friends during the election/campaign process for not sharing her regurgitated political views, and now skating on thin ice at work. 

Hope she can get her head right again but suspect once this story is forgotten (by tomorrow) she'll be given the boot.  Being an OCD Facebook political groupie doesn't pay the bills.  Gotta keep it in perspective.

Edited by 55Jay

4 hours ago, webfact said:

REUTERS - United Airlines replaced a pilot before takeoff on Saturday after she boarded in civilian clothes and told passengers over the intercom that both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton were liars and that she was getting a divorce, witnesses said.

Can I just say…I love this chick…muakkks!

I am not a misogynist, let's get that out of the way.

Are women naturally, temperamentally suited to being pilots? Is it trying to fit a square peg, as it were, into a round hole?

We are told that the distaff side are good at multitasking, communicating and being empathetic. Men have inbuilt navigation skills, are single minded and steadfast.

Just a thought....

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Are women naturally, temperamentally suited to being pilots? Is it trying to fit a square peg, as it were, into a round hole?

We are told that the distaff side are good at multitasking, communicating and being empathetic. Men have inbuilt navigation skills, are single minded and steadfast.

Just a thought....

Amelia Earhart

Amy Johnson

Sheila Scott

Harriet Quimby (Aero Club of America licence no 37)

Patty Wagstaff

Jeana Yeager

Hanna Reitsch

Lydia Litvyak

Svetlana Kapanina

Jean Batten

All the women of the ATA (Air Transport Auxillary)

Nancy Cliff (one of my flying instructors) and many, many, more.

Can women play tennis?

Edited by Enoon

Just now, Enoon said:

Amelia Earhart

Amy Johnson

Sheila Scott

Patty Wagstaff

Jeana Yeager

Hanna Reitsch

Lydia Litvyak

Svetlana Kapanina

Nancy Cliff (One of my instructors)

Can women play tennis?

Now let's have a list of male pilots

As for tennis, are you referring to 100% women?

Takes me back a few years to a bus ride in san francisco.

An old black man was sitting up front the bus and haranguing the bus driver.

Nothing crazy or abusive, just mouthing off.

Suddenly the bus driver pulls to the kerb, engages the handbrake, gets off the bus 

and just takes off.

His last words were "I don't need this shit"

And the best part was, none of the passengers gave a damn either.

Let's NOT get that out of the way.

Your subsequent comments reveal that you are, indeed, a textbook case misogynist.

At the very least, to borrow a colorful phrase from yesteryear, a male chauvinist pig.

Respectfully,

Fookhaht

3 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

Let's NOT get that out of the way.

Your subsequent comments reveal that you are, indeed, a textbook case misogynist.

At the very least, to borrow a colorful phrase from yesteryear, a male chauvinist pig.

Respectfully,

Fookhaht

Fookhaht indeed!

No humour then......

But joking apart, do you not think women are better at some things and men others?

Can't I ask that without being outcast? PC is so last year ?

Edited by Grouse

22 hours ago, Enoon said:

Amelia Earhart

Amy Johnson

Sheila Scott

Harriet Quimby (Aero Club of America licence no 37)

Patty Wagstaff

Jeana Yeager

Hanna Reitsch

Lydia Litvyak

Svetlana Kapanina

Jean Batten

All the women of the ATA (Air Transport Auxillary)

Nancy Cliff (one of my flying instructors) and many, many, more.

Can women play tennis?

Of course there are many excellent female pilots, and also many poor male pilots, but on the whole I would agree with Grouse. That said I will continue to put my faith in the airlines to staff the cockpit with competent staff.

Fookhaht indeed!

No humour then......

But joking apart, do you not think women are better at some things and men others?

Can't I ask that without being outcast? PC is so last year [emoji846]

I partially agree. But I believe we stray from science when we confuse skills with character traits (single-minded, steadfast), and fail to mention the spectrum of skills/takents within one gender group that would qualify any gender to do the other's traditional jobs.

Tell a pregnant woman in labor that her gender isn't steadfast, and be prepared to endure the subsequent storm.

29 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

I partially agree. But I believe we stray from science when we confuse skills with character traits (single-minded, steadfast), and fail to mention the spectrum of skills/takents within one gender group that would qualify any gender to do the other's traditional jobs.

Tell a pregnant woman in labor that her gender isn't steadfast, and be prepared to endure the subsequent storm.

Of course I agree.

BTW the urge to bear down during childbirth is not the most powerful human urge; the urge to try and get an upgrade to business class is far stronger ?