Foreigner spared from hanging as rope breaks over major Phuket road

webfact

Foreigner spared from hanging as rope breaks over major Phuket road

The Phuket News

1487044889_7358-org.jpg

The rope broke, sending the man plunging about six metres down on Phuket’s busy Thepkrasattri Rd. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A foreign man was spared death by hanging from a pedestrian bridge over the island’s busiest road in central Phuket this morning (Feb 14) after the rope broke, sending him plunging about six metres onto Thepkrasattri Rd below.

Concerned onlookers called police at about 1am after noticing the man, a Westerner aged about 40 years old, with the rope on the pedestrian bridge near the Makro store in Thalang.

Just as patrol police arrived, the man jumped off the bridge, Lt Sunan Petchnoo of Thalang Police told The Phuket News.

“He jumped by himself. There was no one else on the bridge,” he said.

“Our officers ran to assist but the rope and the man fell about six metres down onto the road,” he added.

The man was taken to Thalang Hospital and then transferred to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/foreigner-spared-from-hanging-as-rope-breaks-over-major-phuket-road-61017.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-02-14

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

The public sees a "silver lining" in a life spared, but doubt that this despondent bloke has the same outlook.

Mental health counseling available for a victim such as this?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes, there is. In our Health Forum is actually a list of mental health practitioners. Link here

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Apparently this man's lady left him and he has overstayed his visa. He's afraid of being blacklisted and unable to return to Thailand.

A fate worse than death?

And there was me thinking it was just the price of prawns at Makro.

Foreign man’s attempted suicide visa related, say Phuket police

Eakkapop Thongtub

1487062329_1-org.jpg

Police at the scene of the attempted suicide. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Tourist Police investigating the attempted suicide of a foreign man in Thalang this morning have said they believe the man attempted to take his own life as he had overstayed his visa and was concerned that he would be blacklisted from re-entering the country.

A foreign man was spared death by hanging from a pedestrian bridge over the island’s busiest road in central Phuket this morning (Feb 14) after the rope broke, sending him plunging about six metres onto Thepkrasattri Rd below.

Concerned onlookers called police at about 1am after noticing the man, a Westerner aged about 40 years old, with the rope on the pedestrian bridge near the Makro store in Thalang.

Just as patrol police arrived, the man jumped off the bridge, Lt Sunan Petchnoo of Thalang Police told The Phuket News.

The man, a German national, has since been named as 59-year-old Dr Thomas Stolzenburg from Hamburg. He is still receiving treatment in Vachira Phuket Hospital for injuries sustained from the jump.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/foreign-man-attempted-suicide-visa-related-say-phuket-police-61021.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-02-15

“Having investigated further we discovered that Dr Stolzenburg was arrested by immigration police on February 8 for overstaying his visa and he was charged for this offence."

I was led to believe that you were immediately detained when caught overstating your visa, unless you voluntarily gave yourself up, in the case of a few days, and paid the overstay fine ? 

He obviously doesn't know that blacklisting only happens for the poor... that makes me question his mental state even further. He probably pulls up his arm when crossing the street as well. 

Not meant as a snarky remark, but come on now.. How long has he been in Thailand for? 2 days? He must know how 'the system works'. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Life can't be too bad !
The guy is 59 but looks 40 !!

Seriously though, very sad that this guy decided to take his own life because he feared being blacklisted .

Hope he recovers and resolves his problems .

To be honest there probably is a multitude of reasons and this was the final straw for him. I hope he manages to come out of this depression and realises that every single thing in this world changes and ends sooner or later 

Edited by JustNo

Whenever someone takes their life like this you know its not related to the stated issue.  What sane person would take their life because their visa is to be blacklisted?  Go to Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Philippines.  If you have family take them with you.  This is no reason to commit suicide.  Its indicative of a much more serious mental issue of depression or other health issue.

1 hour ago, JerryinTH said:

He obviously doesn't know that blacklisting only happens for the poor... that makes me question his mental state even further. He probably pulls up his arm when crossing the street as well. 

Not meant as a snarky remark, but come on now.. How long has he been in Thailand for? 2 days? He must know how 'the system works'. 

What???

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Life can't be too bad !
The guy is 59 but looks 40 !!

Seriously though, very sad that this guy decided to take his own life because he feared being blacklisted .

Hope he recovers and resolves his problems .

just shows how unfair the visa rules are how can you balcklist someone who overstays possibly by mistake maybe forget what date you go uot the next thing you cannot come back to thailand again so unfair i almost missed my last day and just managed to get a stamp at border on my last day , even then i had to go through a gruelling 3 hours wait at the border going out and coming back in even the cambodian guy at office tried to hood wink me into paying 100 baht more because i went back thailand same day cheek of it to be honest im getting abit sick of the way get treated in thailand with the visa on top of that the currency exchange has dropped so i am now flying to philippinnes for a month 

3 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

a little sympathy guys. This guy wanted to take his own life

Hate being pedantic but suicide and attempted suicide are treated as having completely different psychological parameters errr no matter how convincing  the 'attempt'. 

Attempted is always a call for help.