The Demon Drink....

baboon

After consuming lots and I do mean LOTS of beer over the past few years, I ended up at the doctors last week with what I thought was either tendonitus or a severe foot cramp. I subsequently find out that at the age of 35 I have gout and must either pack in my beloved beer, or live in constant agony with maybe kidney stones to follow or worse.

I was always one of those cheerful drunks who thought there would be no health consequences if I did not worry about such things. I now face a very sober and dull Christmas.

I am not posting this looking for sympathy as I brought it all upon myself. I just hope a few of you fellow boozers [lucky gits] pay some heed and try to cut down a bit. Believe me, gout f##cking HURTS and once you contract it, I am told, it can only be contained. Please dont let it happen to you.

Feel for you mate, it seems a very young age to have gout.

My old boss in a dodgy bar I used to work in had it real bad, he had to cut holes in his shoes and all his fingers were taped up with blue plasters.

Obviously im sure you dont have it that bad, but he was the only person ive ever met with gout. He was however very old and a 5 star alcoholic, unfortunately he is dead now.

Had a mate who lived opposite (plumber) who got "the Gout" and blamed it on spending years up to his neck working in dirty water but was finally told that the main reason was his diet.....3 meals a day with 2 meat and 3 veg...or whatever...

He was definately a bit o/wt...so...was a really nice blok.....

Bit of info....

What causes Gout?

Uric acid is a chemical which is a natural part of the normal breaking down and building up of food and body tissues.

The level in the blood can be measured and shows how much there is in the body overall.

The condition of raised blood uric acid is called hyperuricaemia. When this is present the uric acid which is normally dissolved in the blood may, from time to time, form microscopic crystals in the joint.

These crystals set up the inflammation which is called acute gouty arthritis or acute gout.

It follows that gout may develop in persons whose uric acid is higher than normal. There are many causes of this.

The following are some of the more common causes:

Higher than normal levels of uric acid can be part of the inherited make-up of some families

Obesity

High alcohol intake

High intake of food containing purines (see below)

Some of the drugs used to treat high blood pressure.

Less commonly, longstanding kidney disease may result in high blood levels of uric acid.

Treatment of Gout

The first step wherever possible must be to correct those factors mentioned above which give rise to high uric acid levels. Purines are substances found in food, which, when broken down produce a lot of uric acid. Therefore the following foods which are high in Purines should be restricted or avoided:

Offal foods such as liver, kidneys, tripe, sweetbreads and tongue.

Excessive amounts of red meat.

Shellfish, fish roe and scallops.

Peas. lentils and beans.

Alcohol intake should be reduced.

Two glasses of beer a day or less is sensible.

On special occasions you can drink more.

Weight loss may be very important.

Medication for high blood pressure may need to be altered. :o

Thanks both for your posts.

Soph, you say 35 is a very young age to contract gout. My point exatly. Just goes to show it is not only old p##sheads spending all day in bars who are at risk. I dont think I have it too badly at the moment, but I sure as H#ll want to keep it that way.

Rinrada, thanks for the information. Maybe I can have a glass or two at Christmas after all...

I can sympathise with you. A friend of mine has gout. She keeps it at bay with a combination of drugs (can't remember the name of them) and cherries. Seemingly cherries contain some sort of compound that helps. juice, fresh, dried, canned. it doesn't seem to matter.

As a non drinker (or almost) can say gout is not specific to drinking. It does run in families however and every male on my fathers side of family has suffered it. I have had for the last 18 years or so and since starting Allopurinol (to prevent not treat or cure) have not had it return. And surly hope it remains at bay as the pain of one toe with gout is unbelievable.

Drink carrot and celery juice to relieve pain of gout....or take celery seed extract....take apple cider vinegar...steer clear of red meat.....easily curable with diet and supplement contro.....check internet for alternative cures for gout, plenty of good advice.

Alchies have bunches of other things to be concerned about. If you saw me drinking out of a toilet, you might say something like, 'hey, don't be an idiot.' or you might walk away and think, 'what a nutcase.'

Even though alchies drink lots of liquid, they're actually starved for water. The reason; alcohol bollixes up their absorbtion of useful liquids. Hence, most alchies have bloated skin - and some look like their hands have been burnished in egg whites - it's their non-breathing skin calling out.

Take care of yourself. Don't drink out of the toilet, and don't injest things that are harmful yourself and others. And yes, it is my business, because if you get drunk and run down someone with your vehicle, it bothers me intensely.

I quit drinking in 1995 and it's amazing how so many of my seemingly hopeless health problems cleared up! Give it a go and keep a positive attitude, the body has an incredible ability to heal if freed from the mind's capability to deny and rationalize.

I was diagnosed with possible gout about 10 years ago when I was undergoing a rather stressfull work situation. Eventually after about 6 months when my stress had dissipated my gout symptoms (which were mild but was prescribed allopurinol) also dissapeared. I still drink alcohol everyday (3-4 pints a day).

Hope this helps.

I have several work mates with gout. They all swear by taking black cherry tablets. No kidding, they say it is a cure.

Black cherry juice works as well, but it is pricy.

I'm sure if you search the internet and research this, you will find some info.

Take care of yourself, but dont give up the ship......there still may be some beer in your future !! :o

http://www.fruitinstitute.org/cherrysoftgels.htm

http://www.brownwoodacres.com/cflex.htm

Edited by pumpuiman

i had gouty arthritis, seized up solid couldnt walk, even to toilet. extreme pain. I knew i had typically high uric acid levels which i admit are from my drinlking habits and i was warned 10 years ago that i might develop gout.

my saviour was Allopurinol. it helps to expel the uric acid from your blood. i am also careful with my diet, no red meat or red wine etc

most days most of the time i am ok.

btw the local doc told me to stop drinking chang beer (too many chemicals he said)

i can also recomend an anti inflammatory call Indomethacin

both are cheaply availble in the pharmacies. I buy mine in bulk as local generics, works for me

as with any drug advice, you must do your homework on the net and check on possible antagonisms and with your doc

what works for one person might be tragic for another OK

After consuming lots and I do mean LOTS of beer over the past few years, I ended up at the doctors last week with what I thought was either tendonitus or a severe foot cramp. I subsequently find out that at the age of 35 I have gout and must either pack in my beloved beer, or live in constant agony with maybe kidney stones to follow or worse.

I was always one of those cheerful drunks who thought there would be no health consequences if I did not worry about such things. I now face a very sober and dull Christmas.

I am not posting this looking for sympathy as I brought it all upon myself. I just hope a few of you fellow boozers [lucky gits] pay some heed and try to cut down a bit. Believe me, gout f##cking HURTS and once you contract it, I am told, it can only be contained. Please dont let it happen to you.

I developed it about 10 years later than you but have a pal with very severe gout who developed it younger than you.

I blame the beer as well.

My pal is on allapurinol and he can eat and drink anything without an attack but it is for life - I did not want to go on medication for the rest of my life so try to control it with diet.

If I feel twinges of it coming on I take a lot of naproxene and have only had one bad attack in 3 years since.

I do drink beer but nowhere what I used to - cider for me now where I can get it but in Thailand its beer and still touching wood.

I have had to go onto hypertension medication recently though and had a shock with chest pains not long after. I had to go for tests and it turned out to be cost-chondritis.

A pal I drink with is a Dr and he diagnosed this previously. I then mentioned it to a colleague who is a Dr and he asked about raised Uric Acid levels. There is nothing in the literature about this but he said a colleague at Raffles Hospital noticed every time someone presented with costo-chondritis they had raised uri acid levels when tested.

I get my uric acid results tomorrow after my years full health screening and we can see what they say.

First attacks of gout are normally big toe - the slightest touch/movement being painful. Believe it is crystals forming in joint so any movement of the joint causes local intense pain. It is not as common in knee but can be a problem there also as both father and uncle have had that happen.

Yeah the Dr told me most common is big toe but I have only really ever had twinges there - it was in the side of my foot the first big one then ankle.

Did think it had started in my big toe in September while up in Nakhon Panom - got myself on a plane to BKK and went to Bumrungrad.

When I was wheeled into him he immediately asked about gout. I said it started like gout but was not the same after a few days and lots of naproxene. He then said cellulitis but prescribed for both.

I took only the cellulitis medication and it went away.

Bloody hel_l I have had a few things this year

Started medication for hypertension a month ago - it does not seem to be working so may have to go onto three types

Celulitis

Run over by a tuk tuk

cost-chondritis

Now have both tonsolitis and sinusitis

Going for my health screening results tomorrow - hope they find nothing - welcome to middle age - 3 years ago fit as a fiddle.

sounds familiar to me.... :o

even though I am not (yet) having GOUT trouble I can very well confirm ur mentioned FOOT CRAMPS.

man, I can tell you (all) ... those cramps i experienced have been un-be-lievable pain.

I am a no pain-no doctor-person. Means: unless somebody has to CARRY me into doctors or hospital room I won't go.

After heavy whisky consumption (I am no beer drinker) those cramps lasted more than 2 days afer I had no other choice than call emergency and have the driver carry (!!!) me down from second floor to his emergency car.

Spent two pain suffering days in hospital.

That was back in 2003.

Nowadays...well, I reduced my whisky drinking quantity but still enjoy my share of booze from time to time.

BUT - in addition - I do have a daily portion of MAGNESIUM together with my breakfast.

just my 2 baht...

Going for my health screening results tomorrow - hope they find nothing - welcome to middle age - 3 years ago fit as a fiddle.

I can empathise with you I really can.

Once I hit the big 50 two years ago...my health has been all downhill.

before then like you I was as fit as a fiddle..as you say.."Welcome to middle age" :o

Good idea to get a full health check...I hope it went OK for you, the biggest problem is following the advice they give you as many results call for a complete change in your lifestyle...implementing them is the really hard part, but if you don't you continue to suffer and deteriorate.

I can empathise with you I really can.

Once I hit the big 50 two years ago...my health has been all downhill.

before then like you I was as fit as a fiddle..as you say.."Welcome to middle age" :o

Good idea to get a full health check...I hope it went OK for you, the biggest problem is following the advice they give you as many results call for a complete change in your lifestyle...implementing them is the really hard part, but if you don't you continue to suffer and deteriorate.

Thanks for the good wishes. You are correct in that if you can afford it or someone will pay go for one of these screenings (it would have saved a pals life this year in all probability).

You would never get all these tests on the NHS even though I do stick up for it a lot.

The Doc actually said I was quite fit for my age which surprised me - my ECg was fine etc and I never exercise. I did have a very physical job as a coal miner as young but been behind a desk for 20 years now.

As you say following the advice will be hard although its not a complete change in lifestyle - Hospital Doc said lose 7 kilo and my GP who I saw after said 10-14. Given my build I know the second one is totally wrong - I am very stocky with a barrel chest and would be sickly at that weight -

I will try to lose up to 7 though over the first half of next year - drinking less will be hard for me but I tend to binge and not go out every night/week and that has both plus and minus points.

I will have to exercise - have a brand new gym in the condo downstairs and almost an oylmpic size pool so there is no excuse.

Where I work i am surrounded by Docs as well (I sit within reach of 6 of them) so they will be on my back