Pattaya beer bar attack: woman denied bail as police say call us if there's trouble with drunk tourists

rooster59

4 minutes ago, TezzainThai said:

Seems she thought he was drunker than he was, and she was loading the pad, as she though he would not see what she was doing

And you got that gem from where--?? no one...including the guy that done the runner, said this, he just said the price of the beer was to high..90 baht..it might have been, specially if he was drinking Leo. The police would have looked at the Bill.

But I guess we have given her a fair hearing

and found her guilty ---(of something she is not even charged with)

--so let her stay locked up for padding the bill................:coffee1:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we all must remember who we are dealing with in pattaya.in most cases, the worst of the worst.thais have been taking abuse from tourists for decades and its fair to say he other side is true, but we are told ''be nice,smile,you are in thailand'' F#$%  THAT'' I don't see thias trying this,and if they do its ''we are just dumb falangs'',,this battle will rage forever,so when I get into a stuation(and it happens almost daily''..i remember several things .the source ,stay cool and in control,never use the F word and SMILE..its different when this is your home..but it doesn't make it easier.''the only thing thais in pattaya want more than ''getting into your wallet is GETTING INTO YOUR HEAD''..stay safe''its war out thier''.sawadee no crap...

Edited by mok199
forget sething

2 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

amazing that she was actually arrested.  due solely to social media, methinks. 

Yes, and the farang that refused to pay his bin is walking around free, still drinking til he is drunk I'd suppose. He gave all farang a bad reputation and should have been dealt with harshly; harsher than he was for sure.

Caught a Canadian owned place doing it in Arizona...I drank five and was charged for seven.  The computer printout showed that he had added extras on about a half minute after the previous.  They adjusted the bill; I adjusted the tip.  There are places I no longer go to here for overcharging me five THB.....of course it is not much money...but I it indicates sloppiness and laziness....especially, when the price is plainly posted on the wall.

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

If I ever drink at a bar I pay each time the slip arrives, done and dusted, had a time when I checked the slip when it went in to the cup, been there, done that, ahhhh excuse me, I have one beer, why is there 2 showing on the slip, oh mistake, next beer no bill, next beer arrives, slip shows 2 more beers, ahh excuse me, again bill shows 2 beers, I have had one beer before, and one now, kep tun krup, oh wait, you drink 2 more beers and we not charge you for them, no thanks, here is your money for 2 beers, by-by, and the next bar I had a lady bar drink added when I never bought a gal a drink, and they wonder why they are losing farang customers.

You can make it more difficult, but if they really want to hose you, you'll be hosed.  And your only recourse could be paying the extortion, calling your friend the (__fill in the blank__), or fighting your way out the door.  

Which is really not much recourse at all.  They usually have the upper hand, with witnesses and muscle and the local popo on the payroll.

2 hours ago, sahibji said:

sure beer is cheaper in the convenience stores and no one is forcing people to go to bars for a beer. it is their choice and if so you must pay the bar prices.

but who knows the bar prices ? you when its too late 55

The police are not exactly famous for having their finger on the pulse. We all know how ineffective they are. As far as she was concerned, this was her only recourse. 

The guy walked into a bar, drank his fill and then refused to pay. What did he expect, a bunch of flowers?

I wonder how many of you "violence is not the answer" pussies would be singing the same tune if it were a Thai customer in a farang bar. 

to me, they've arrested the wrong person. 

2 hours ago, remobb said:

I can speak from experience as I once had a bar inPhuket. I had drunk customers claiming their bar bill was padded and I can say 100% was not. They drink and don't realize how much they actually do drink. Try to tell a drunk on holiday you think they have had enough and they will still insist on more.

I also called the police on someone who did not want to pay and tried to do a runner. I followed him, yep, straight to another bar and tried the same thing. He had no money on him. The BIB turned up and we went to his hotel to get the cash.

So it works sometimes.

yup, i see tourists try to pull that crapola in beach bars here on Lanta...

my friends don't  resort to assault, nor do they wait for (or trust that) the po-po show up- often all that is necessary is for 1 or more burly Thai guys w/iron rods to get up in the cheater's face and bar his further egress 

voila! problem solved w/o violence (merely the threat of same)

"Tourism is very important and we will take these matters seriously and make sure they are sorted out fairly for all concerned. Just don't take the law into your own hands", he added

The reason no one wants to involve the police is "fairly for all concerned" means a large cut for the police as well.

26 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Dont all these bars need a clearly printed drinks pricelist  hanging at the wall to avoid any misunderstandings?

In some countries, like the UK, prices must be visibly displayed by law. But overcharging drunks or customers buying large rounds in very busy bars is a common practice. Not by all but by enough. The bar staff work on the theory that after a few drinks people don't add up big rounds or pay too much attention to bills; or they short change especially when taking big denomination notes.

Pulled up many bar staff in many places for such. And some do get aggressive when you catch them at it.

7 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

In some countries, like the UK, prices must be visibly displayed by law. But overcharging drunks or customers buying large rounds in very busy bars is a common practice. Not by all but by enough. The bar staff work on the theory that after a few drinks people don't add up big rounds or pay too much attention to bills; or they short change especially when taking big denomination notes.

Pulled up many bar staff in many places for such. And some do get aggressive when you catch them at it.

I think in Thailand the  bars most do it also but they just do not do it.Wonder why?

Edited by Destiny1990
Typo

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"If tourists are drunk and disorderly please call police. We will help to sort it out fairly. If the tourist is in the wrong then we will deal with that accordingly".

Please do not break the brown envelope chain. Please do not beat up the tourists they are part of the lifeblood of Thailand. Please do not share this on any media it is against the computer crimes act. 

2 hours ago, impulse said:

You can make it more difficult, but if they really want to hose you, you'll be hosed.  And your only recourse could be paying the extortion, calling your friend the (__fill in the blank__), or fighting your way out the door.  

Which is really not much recourse at all.  They usually have the upper hand, with witnesses and muscle and the local popo on the payroll.

I suppose they could make it more difficult, but for what, paying up front on each occasion, only had one say to me, you pay after, with my reply being, oh no thank you, I only have one drink and go home, suffice to say, I moved on to another bar down the road, and all seem to excepts my way, that is, how we do it back in falang land, i.e. leaves less of a chance of being scammed, and when the time comes, as you say, that they want to hose me down, I will have the last laugh and only drink at falang operated bars, not saying that Thai's would ever try that on falangs 555

Edited by 4MyEgo

3 hours ago, Ian Maxwell said:

well here we are another drunken dispute ! involving a brit in less than 24hrs amazing ! well in this case the person in question in future will learn diplomacy when the bill arrives ! I think something was learnt by both sides in this situation as violently ignorant non business trained personnel trying to run a beer bar without any idea of who pays their wages now perhaps she knows ! taking the law into your own hands is never a good solution in any circumstances it always ends badly !

Well done to the police this time good example for how things are to be handled in the future especially for tourism safety. 

I do think it might be an idea to advertise the price of drinks in each bar visible to the public by law so as to avoid any disputes about the price of beer etc ! who knows it might increase competition between them all will benefit have a nice day and smile it won't hurt you ! 

.. and breath 

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

What i like about the 7/11 in general is that all their items are atleast clearly priced!!Maybe the bars could implement such a transparent system.

They could also give the stamps like 7/11, drink 100 beers and get a "hello kitty" bar b q set.

7 hours ago, Get Real said:

Now the tactic seemd to be at resoring the face in the eyes of the tourists. Better the tourists think about the bars generally charges more for beer and drinks than a 7/11 shop. Just another maniac.
And yes, it justifies the attack. Enough of these people can even make me irritated just sitting in a bar drinking and hearing them complaining with their galactically stupid reasons.

i wasnt aware you were a witness, who knows everything that happened at the bar, 

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Apichai added: "If tourists are drunk and disorderly please call police. We will help to sort it out fairly. If the tourist is in the wrong then we will deal with that accordingly".

This is the right answer and she was denied bail I believe. Only a few weeks back a convicted killer was granted bail until sentencing. And what about the other murder suspects that are granted bail, strange?

7 hours ago, Get Real said:

Now the tactic seemd to be at resoring the face in the eyes of the tourists. Better the tourists think about the bars generally charges more for beer and drinks than a 7/11 shop. Just another maniac.
And yes, it justifies the attack. Enough of these people can even make me irritated just sitting in a bar drinking and hearing them complaining with their galactically stupid reasons.

So you're saying if someone doesn't agree with your price you would be in your right to beat the hell out of them.  Remind me not to do business with you.

It seems difficult to believe that he refused to pay because it was more expensive than the Seven Eleven, especially given that he's lived in Thailand for a while. Possibly, he said something like "that's six times the price in the Seven Eleven!". But it seems just as likely that this explanation was a complete fabrication by the bar woman. 

It's also not clear what happened before the video was recorded. Something almost certainly lead up to someone recording it. Maybe a heated argument or maybe the guy first attacked the woman as someone here suggested. In any case, the police should have been called into handle this. 

Edited by LandOfWiles