Why are toilet doors (and other doors) opened inwards in Thailand

hobz

On 19/02/2017 at 0:52 PM, hobz said:

Driving is different, because the whole country has to decide on one way. Toilet doors have room for decisions in each case. In sweden MOST toilets open out. In thai ALL open in.

It seems only ur country opens out. All the countries I've been to open in.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Sooo Upto Me said:
On 2/19/2017 at 0:52 PM, hobz said:

Driving is different, because the whole country has to decide on one way. Toilet doors have room for decisions in each case. In sweden MOST toilets open out. In thai ALL open in.

It seems only ur country opens out. All the countries I've been to open in.

because most architects are brainless idiots bathroom doors open to the inside.

Just now, HHTel said:

The houses I've had in the UK (5) all the bathroom doors opened inward.  All my relatives houses open inward so I guess that's the standard in the UK.  

it is architectural nonsense to install doors opening inward to rooms which are by nature smaller than other rooms in a home and thus taking away valuable wall or floor space.

but then... to each his own!

As someone pointed out, the floor levels in bathrooms are usually lower than outside so it would make sense to have the door meet the bathroom floor and therefore would have to open inwards.  That is certainly the case with my house here.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

As someone pointed out, the floor levels in bathrooms are usually lower than outside so it would make sense to have the door meet the bathroom floor and therefore would have to open inwards.  That is certainly the case with my house here.

I have been in construction all my life in the US and I have never seen a door that opens out, nor have I seen a different level floor in any room until I came here. The only exception is public buildings where the entry door must open out or go both ways to stop a possible jam at the door in the event of a fire.

OP here. 

Just to clarify, I meant bathrooms and toilets both. And also bedroom doors. (I heard specifically that bedroom doors has to open inwards in Thailand due to bad luck otherwise)

Interesting that it seems like only Finland and Sweden open bathroom doors outwards. Reason for both seem to be safety related and related to not limiting the space in the already small bathrooms. Maybe swedes and finns have smaller bathrooms in general. Or maybe they are just smarter in general. Or maybe stupider. 

I still wanna hear more about if there is some ghost or luck related reason for Thais, nobody else heard that?

"In sweden most people decide to open outwards anyway because the other reasons outweigh this one."

If fire safety or the concern to save 1-2 seconds for someone sitting on a toilet is a big concern in Sweden, I'd say you got bigger problems!  

Wow.  Pretty unsafe buildings in Sweden, eh? ?

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 2:49 PM, hobz said:

It's the same issue with bedroom doors, for some reason they are always opened inwards in thailand. Nobody seems to know why... I heard something about bad luck from my gf, but she doesn't know the details..

Im an Aussie dont really know much about Sweden but in all my travels I cant remember ever seeing an outward opening bedroom door, they all open into the room dont they? If your entering a room it facillitates easier entry for a start.

10 hours ago, HHTel said:

the floor levels of bathrooms in Thailand (but not in our house) are lower. that that is no valid reason at all why doors should open to the inside.

12 minutes ago, Naam said:

the floor levels of bathrooms in Thailand (but not in our house) are lower. that that is no valid reason at all why doors should open to the inside.

Well actually the bathroom floors aren't lower as a rule but a lip is placed flush with the non bathroom wall in the door space you could I presume if you wanted the door to open outwards put the lip flush with the wall inside the bathroom. But that would make very little sense.

They make the floors lower with a drain so water can't escape, plus if a water leak your house don't get flooded.

At my place they wanted to fit/build in those 'orrible low plastic doors opening outward, nooooooooooooo, I said, full height mahogany door to match the rest opening inward....

7 hours ago, starky said:

Im an Aussie dont really know much about Sweden but in all my travels I cant remember ever seeing an outward opening bedroom door, they all open into the room dont they? If your entering a room it facillitates easier entry for a start.

With one notable exception... the great Aussie outhouse.

outhouse.JPG

31 minutes ago, Naam said:

Yes but you know the use of bathroom and can allow your design to allow for the door.  Other rooms/halls are not so easily controlled and once done you would have to live with it and allow space for an outward swing door - and they are a danger!  How many times have we met someone entering a door as we are tying to exit?  Having an outward swing to a normal path would be deadly.  

42 minutes ago, Naam said:

Bathroom floors are lower as many are 'wet rooms'.  i.e. with an open shower.  The doors are built to meet the bathroom floor to prevent water from escaping under the door.

Just now, HHTel said:

The doors are built to meet the bathroom floor to prevent water from escaping under the door.

Hmm, just how does that work again?

Even with the door open water does not escape from our bathroom even when Wifey is causing a flood.

18 hours ago, Grubster said:

I cannot think of a good reason for the doors to open out, if you design your house correctly your door will open in against a wall on the inside and will be out of the way if left open, but then maybe you would have the light switch behind the door.

Sheesh.............I think you missed something to do with SAFETY. :whistling:

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Hmm, just how does that work again?

Even with the door open water does not escape from our bathroom even when Wifey is causing a flood.

Believe written wrong - normally there will be a half-threshold with the door lower than the top and butting against the cement/tile so water is contained inside the bathroom.

13 minutes ago, elgenon said:

So you don't whack somebody walking by.

Isn't that part of the whole "bathroom experience"  --  along with dropping your pants onto a wet floor, a failed cistern/bumgun/looroll dispenser, a power/lights failure, etc...

There's a bar in beach road the urinals are excellent but if you need more than a Jimmy riddle you be buggered unless you are a stick insect type person. The carsey door opens inward stopped by the crapper itself. So unless you go in stand on the cropper and close the door you ain't getting in done in a sober state possible after a few wets forget it. 

Edited by Gonefortea