Back To The UK For Holiday Tips/Advice

mercman24

hi all, was thinking of going back to the uk for 2 weeks, end july first week august, any advice welcome,

ie, travel ins, (70, good health)where best to buy, etc, arrive heathrow, i lived in wiltshire 100 miles from

h/row, was thinking hire car for 2 weeks from airport, or national express bus to wilts, then hire a car in wilts

not done much costing but Malayian air has come up about £430 when most others are £600 + ok its a short first leg but the second leg is 13 hours on an A380, was thinking savings would nearly pay for a hire car. OK the ball is in your court fire away,

thanks in advance  KC or pm me

Edited by metisdead
ALL CAPS removed from topic title and bold font removed from OP.

If you use Malaysian Air there's frequently a long stopover in KL. There's a transit hotel in the airport (airside) which is really good value and highly recommended, it's therefore worth suffering a long delay for lower flight costs and then spend a little on the transit hotel.

Renting a car at Heathrow (Enterprise) on a Thai license is very straightforward. If you do that, buy a one year insurance deductible policy before you go for about 35 quid and then decline all the insurance offered by the rental company, you'll save loads.

Accommodation is the big expense, if you're using hotels book as soon as possible to get cheaper rates - Travelodge is decent as are single rooms at Marston Inns.

Consider buying a two week travel insurance policy to cover heath care risks, if not already covered.

Renting a car at Heathrow (Enterprise) on a Thai license is very straightforward. If you do that, buy a one year insurance deductible policy before you go for about 35 quid and then decline all the insurance offered by the rental company, you'll save loads.

Hi, Can you give us any more details about this insurance?

I always book my hire car through these:-  autoreservation.com

Thanks.

On 20/2/2560 at 10:58 AM, mercman24 said:

Malayian air has come up about £430

What is the fare from KL.--London...it might well be worth your time to find out, especially if you have to take a hotel option & long wait.  Air Asia send a plane from Don M to KL about every 50 minutes..(other airlines also sending in there) .I am booked for end of March 1,100 baht...(Mad isn't it , cost me more to fly down from Issan then to get their plane to KL.

On 2/20/2017 at 11:37 AM, chiang mai said:

If you use Malaysian Air there's frequently a long stopover in KL. There's a transit hotel in the airport (airside) which is really good value and highly recommended, it's therefore worth suffering a long delay for lower flight costs and then spend a little on the transit hotel.

Accommodation is the big expense, if you're using hotels book as soon as possible to get cheaper rates - Travelodge is decent as are single rooms at Marston Inns.

Consider buying a two week travel insurance policy to cover heath care risks, if not already covered.

Between 2 and 3 hours in KL ?

Out : MH783  +  

MH002    

Return :

MH003 +

MH784    

If considering National Express, try to book your ticket at least 4 weeks in advance and you'll save a lot of money. Do it on the day and you'll pay up to 4 x more.

Travel Lodge and Premier Inn (free all you can eat breakfast) are usually the best deals.

Get a "giff-gaff" sim (works on O2 network) free sim and good rates etc.

Heathrow express to Paddington £14.30 30 days in advance Paddington to Swindon £18 30 30 day advance BA flights direct BKK to LHR £400 return with a few Avios points £450 without points do it twice a year bus around £20 per week pay in advance stay with Dad £ zero

As a 70 year old you are eligible for cheaper fares on the railways and National Express  if you apply to register with them. But you will have to balance the cost of the card against the savings on the ticket. It can be done easily on-line. 

Have a good trip. 

On 20/02/2017 at 11:37 AM, chiang mai said:

Not true about the Maylasian flights. There are a couple that only hav a hr stopover in KL. 05.25 from Bkk & 21.35 from LHR. Prices going as low as 19,000b. As I'm also goin bac London soon for 2wks. Usually best time for deals is to book between 3-4 mths before. Etihad & Finnair come up with a 20,000b deal oscassionly. Both very good airlines.

U need to keep checking skyscanner daily for best deals as they change frequently. Also set up a email alert with them.

On 21/02/2017 at 4:32 PM, oxo1947 said:

What is the fare from KL.--London...it might well be worth your time to find out, especially if you have to take a hotel option & long wait.  Air Asia send a plane from Don M to KL about every 50 minutes..(other airlines also sending in there) .I am booked for end of March 1,100 baht...(Mad isn't it , cost me more to fly down from Issan then to get their plane to KL.

On 21/02/2017 at 4:32 PM, oxo1947 said:

Good idea Oxo I think I will look into that too. ?

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Heathrow express to Paddington £14.30 30 days in advance Paddington to Swindon £18 30 30 day advance BA flights direct BKK to LHR £400 return with a few Avios points £450 without points do it twice a year bus around £20 per week pay in advance stay with Dad £ zero

BA 450 pounds no chance. They coming up 28,000b an that's 3 mths advance.

Pls tell me where u can get it that cheap, I will book it myself.

Edited by Sooo Upto Me
Missed letter

If considering National Express, try to book your ticket at least 4 weeks in advance and you'll save a lot of money. Do it on the day and you'll pay up to 4 x more.

Travel Lodge and Premier Inn (free all you can eat breakfast) are usually the best deals.
Get a "giff-gaff" sim (works on O2 network) free sim and good rates etc.

Plus
If you order the Giffgaff sim online they will post it to any uk address you want in a couple of days, a good time saver.

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

Malaysian or Cathay would be good choices to break the journey up into a  short hop from BKK and then a long haul. Both are nice airlines.

Qatar has some good sales on if you don't mind breaking the journey into two 6-7 hour flights. Their home port at Doha Is very slick and well run, you can easily make 60 min mtc's if you needed to.

For direct flights THAI, EVA and BA are usually very close in prices and sometimes will price match/beat leading to great prices.

Any help or info you need in the UK i'm happy to help :)

I took that route with Malaysia Airlines last month, the BKK-KUL-BKK legs on a B738were crammed & uncofortable, the stopover in KUL short but doable, however the A380 between KUL and LGR-T4 was fine, reasonable IFE & catering & seat-space, and 30 kgs hold-luggage allowed.  My trip late-January, booked a few months ahead of travelling, cost me B19,800 return.

However I was slightly miffed to discover, after my return, that the long-haul sectors hadn't got me any airmiles at all with their OneWorld partner, whose frequent-flyer program I'm currently trying to build points with ! So 25-hours in Economy gained me a numb-bum, but no airmiles ! :glare:

Edited by Ricardo

Thoroughly recommend using A380 aircraft. 777 noisy and cramped.
Be aware some UK car rental companies require Thai international driving license.
Booked 1 series BMW 16 days, July 345 pds, they allow 70 year old driver. Note much cheaper if you are ok with a manual car!
Sheridan LHR good rates and that's where you pick up the car.
Many do not hire to over 65's.

Malaysian offer great fares ex BKK ,then do the airport night stop.
No need to go through immigration etc. About a 9 am dep the next day.

Can be a minefield at this age, good that you are getting great advice.
Pm me for more info.
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

q

I took that route with Malaysia Airlines last month, the BKK-KUL-BKK legs on a B738were crammed & uncofortable, the stopover in KUL short but doable, however the A380 between KUL and LGR-T4 was fine, reasonable IFE & catering & seat-space, and 30 kgs hold-luggage allowed.  My trip late-January, booked a few months ahead of travelling, cost me B19,800 return.

However I was slightly miffed to discover, after my return, that the long-haul sectors hadn't got me any airmiles at all with their OneWorld partner, whose frequent-flyer program I'm currently trying to build points with ! So 25-hours in Economy gained me a numb-bum, but no airmiles ! :glare:

I have some American airmiles that I'm using up, appears I can use them on BA or Qatar routes from Bangkok to UK but not on the Malaysian route !
What's that all about ? Cheap ass airline [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

helpful reply post 21, my post was about going back nothing to do about travelling in my own country, i was asking about the basics, re, insurance, hire car etc,from someone who has done this,(first time back for years) maybe someone on here goes back quite often,  wonder why you bothered. lived in the UK 50 years think i know my way around it thanks without bitchy remarks from you.

thanks for all the POSITIVE  replies, notes taken , SOOO TO ME yes that early flight looks good and not long in KL, as before INSURANCE ideas please, will probably get thai licence before i go,CAR HIRE Autoreservations, as per a previous poster THANKS, Vauxhall Corsa 13 days £190. no age problem unlimited miles +insurance and breakdown , taking the bus works out a few quid dearer.and hiring enterprise in my home town. its coming together. 

18 hours ago, mercman24 said:

helpful reply post 21, my post was about going back nothing to do about travelling in my own country, i was asking about the basics, re, insurance, hire car etc,from someone who has done this,(first time back for years) maybe someone on here goes back quite often,  wonder why you bothered. lived in the UK 50 years think i know my way around it thanks without bitchy remarks from you.

I am about the same age and go back every year. I am not keen on driving straight after the journey so always get National Express up to Sheffield. I usually get a senior card before I go, about £10 and gets you a third off the price. If you book NE online you do not need the physical card, just the number. If your flight is late or the coach is late, NE will change the booking free of charge.If you do decide to get a card, it is worth looking at where you can go with NE, some fares such as into London are extremely cheap.

I often hire a car and just pay the extra for Super CDW, you pay that at the counter on collection. I know others will advocate cheaper options but I consider the removal of all liability worth it. One of the biggest concerns these days is the risk of minor damage such as a scratch in a supermarket car park which can prove very expensive.

As for travel insurance, you can get a policy online from AXA(Thailand) for a reasonable price.

As others have suggested Travelodge is a good bet for accommodation, I have used them a lot, the earlier you book, the better the price. What I often do is check out the area I want to visit on hotelscombined.com and then check out the accommodation website and try and book direct.

When it comes to eating and drinking you cannot go far wrong with Wetherspoons, they also have some hotels. Check out their website for premises in your area.

I am also going back July, my nephew is getting married early August in the north of Scotland. This time I decided to pay the extra and fly BA to Manchester, mainly for the return journey straight after the wedding. Normally like you I would look for the best price into Heathrow. Enjoy the trip.

Just be aware that with the pound down a record number of Euro and US tourists are expected so hotels in some areas might be difficult. I would also suggest you have at least a day for getting used to the time difference and driving styles before using UK roads again.

We are roughly in the same age group and I return to the uk quite regularly for both business and pleasure. For me, I would not even consider public transport as I enjoy the freedom of doing what I need to do in my own time, so I rent at Heathrow and return back on the way out. I even bought a GPS for the UK AND EUROPE a couple of trips ago and well worth the money.

There are a number of car rental firms who will not rent to a70 yo or older, however check out Indigo, they look after the slightly older very well.

i live and work in South China and use HKIA as my hub but Cathay Pacific, whilst being a brilliant airline are very expensive, I am a member of their Marco Polo club and hold a gold card, which also gives me access etc to other OneWorld affiliates and able to receive air miles. And Malaysian is one such partner.

in the last eighteen months I have flown HK-Kl-LHR return with Malaysian in business class, as their prices made CX look ridiculous, the flights HK-KL were on the B 737 not bad for a short haul, but the KL-LHR-Kl legs are out of this world on the A380, even more so in business class, however a tip, if you fly their A380 in economy , get yourself into the upper deck S by the eye it looked a lot more comfortable and spacious than the lower deck.

a final tip, is on the return leg, make sure your connecting time for  KL -BKK is sufficient, or you could end up in BKK minus check in luggage.

enjoy your trip