Jogging for the first time in 40 years - sheer torture!

simon43

Another quick update from Bangkok (I return to Myanmar in about a week and am just sitting out in BKK waiting for my flight home).

I am jogging round the lake in Rajadat Park (Asok) every morning.  I have surprised myself by being able to jog 3Km most days (plus another 2Km fast walking).  That's certainly an improvement on my first jogging attempts in February.

No pain, no aching limbs, no shortness of breath or 'stitch', knees are fine.

My increase in mileage has even made me realise that doing a 10Km fun run or similar could be within my reach if I keep exercising over the next few months.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

congrats... you are clearly on your way to a better physical self.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I have been encouraged enough to invest in a decent pair of running shoes whilst I'm here in BKK.  After doing some Googling, I bought a pair of Adidas 'Bounce' running shoes, which feel like a pair of dance shoes on my feet when compared to the very basic shoes that I have been using.  I also bought a pair of 'toe socks' (ie like a glove, not like a mitten), to minimise any risks of inter-toe blisters etc.

I'm back to Myanmar in a few days and am really looking forward to slowly introducing and increasing my jogging into my current fitness regime.

On 17/04/2017 at 8:52 AM, simon43 said:

Another quick update from Bangkok (I return to Myanmar in about a week and am just sitting out in BKK waiting for my flight home).

I am jogging round the lake in Rajadat Park (Asok) every morning.  I have surprised myself by being able to jog 3Km most days (plus another 2Km fast walking).  That's certainly an improvement on my first jogging attempts in February.

No pain, no aching limbs, no shortness of breath or 'stitch', knees are fine.

My increase in mileage has even made me realise that doing a 10Km fun run or similar could be within my reach if I keep exercising over the next few months.

Basically how I started. You'll find it easy if you only increase your running distance by no more than 10% each week. On the weekend, do one long 'slow run' which is basically a speed where you can talk comfortably. It isn't so much about speed, but more about building up endurance. You'll find you'll be able to easily to 5km about 7-8 weeks from starting from scratch if you keep at it. 

It isn't so much about speed,

I totally agree.  I have always done lots of walking - to walk 30Km would be easy for me.  Jogging 5Km, 10Km, 20Km etc are the next steps for me.

I am even 'mad enough' to consider entering the half-marathon that will take place in Bagan in late November of this year.  A half marathon is about 21Km.  I can currently jog about 4Km without any problems.  If I can increase that by 3Km each month, then I should be able to attempt the half marathon in Bagan. 

10 hours ago, simon43 said:

A half marathon is about 21Km.

You don't have to run all the way. Many just walk the distance, At least that's what I did . 

On 4/12/2017 at 6:38 AM, simon43 said:

I read all these comments about how my knees are going to suffer from jogging.  

Was man not 'designed' to run? Are knees a design fault?

I have done plenty of cycling over the years, which I'm sure has strengthened my knee joints.  I haven't done much running or jogging over those years, so no past injuries or excessive wear and tear on my knee joints.

My knees are fine, my bones are fine.  My heart is fine.  I have normal BP.  I do not have diabetes.  I do not subscribe to the idea of slowing down as you get older.  

Slowing down and taking it easy is one reason why you feel older!

Oh I wasn't trying to say slow down, just that there seems to be exercises that are easier on your knees than running, that actually strengthen them than debilitate them.  But it's your body!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

When I came back from Blighty a couple of months ago I made real progress with my fitness, and took to running harder and faster almost every day.  But my feet got in a bit of a state.  The upshot is I have had to rest up for a month with damaged achilles tendons, and it's only this week that my ankles have stopped hurting too.  I'm not so bothered as running in the mid summer heat seems a bit of a mad thing to do anyway.  Hopefully, I'll be back running in a couple of weeks lesson learned.

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

When I came back from Blighty a couple of months ago I made real progress with my fitness, and took to running harder and faster almost every day.  But my feet got in a bit of a state.  The upshot is I have had to rest up for a month with damaged achilles tendons, and it's only this week that my ankles have stopped hurting too.  I'm not so bothered as running in the mid summer heat seems a bit of a mad thing to do anyway.  Hopefully, I'll be back running in a couple of weeks lesson learned.

Think about bicycling.  It is a great exercise and doesn't destroy the feet and knees.

When I was in BKK a few weeks ago, I bought a pair of expensive Adidas running/jogging shoes - they certainly are much more comfortable than my old 'trainers'.

I'm mostly training on a treadmill, due to the daytime heat (38 degrees+).  I have used a spreadsheet and worked out a training and running schedule to prepare myself to run this half-marathon.  Basically, I can run for about 5 minutes, walk for 45 seconds, then run (jog) again, AND still come in under 2 hours for the whole race.  I have 7 months to train for this, so I'm gradually building up the total mileage that I train every day.  

Right now, I am taking it slowly, increasing my total running by about 3Km every month.  That should mean that I'll be running (jogging/walking) 21Km by about 3 weeks before the actual race.

This might all come to nought if I'm feeling tired or get seduced by a pretty Myanmar lady in the next few months.

Update:

Think about bicycling.  It is a great exercise and doesn't destroy the feet and knees.

True, but it can destroy the bike!  I'm cycling every day and I've already worn out both tyres, broken the pedals and now my bottom bracket is shot (ouch!). Maybe when I'm in BKK in a few months, I'll buy a quality mountain bike, as opposed to the sh*t Chinese rubbish bike that was the only option to buy in this city.

Edited by simon43

my knees are made of glass these days,  but i cycle at very high intensity varying from about 10 -25 kilometers a day day weekdays maybe another 20-25 on weekends. 

i generally  get in a minimum of 60k per week usually between 80 and 100k..

i surf when i can as well, its amazing how hard you can push yourself to avoid drowning and its a treat on the shoulders and chest.

wakeboarding is also excellent exercise, 15 min behind a boat can have the same effect as a week in the gym if regular.

15 hours ago, tominbkk said:

Yes I guess so, but I live in a town and don't fancy taking to the roads.  I quite like cycling but it's walking and jogging that really gets my interest.  I do agree though- running is not good for the joints.

8 minutes ago, simon43 said:

When I was in BKK a few weeks ago, I bought a pair of expensive Adidas running/jogging shoes - they certainly are much more comfortable than my old 'trainers'.

I'm mostly training on a treadmill, due to the daytime heat (38 degrees+).  I have used a spreadsheet and worked out a training and running schedule to prepare myself to run this half-marathon.  Basically, I can run for about 5 minutes, walk for 45 seconds, then run (jog) again, AND still come in under 2 hours for the whole race.  I have 7 months to train for this, so I'm gradually building up the total mileage that I train every day.  

Right now, I am taking it slowly, increasing my total running by about 3Km every month.  That should mean that I'll be running (jogging/walking) 21Km by about 3 weeks before the actual race.

This might all come to nought if I'm feeling tired or get seduced by a pretty Myanmar lady in the next few months.

Update:

True, but it can destroy the bike!  I'm cycling every day and I've already worn out both tyres, broken the pedals and now my bottom bracket is shot (ouch!). Maybe when I'm in BKK in a few months, I'll buy a quality mountain bike, as opposed to the sh*t Chinese rubbish bike that was the only option to buy in this city.

i bought a kona explosif in 1996 and rode it on trails for a few years in vancouver. It has been around the world as my commuter and did about 3k kilometers last year alone (at least thats what i recorded on strava). tires are usually good for a year (schwalbe kojak for road use) bottom bracket replaced twice , original hubs (deore xt), 3rd set of rims. pedals are 20+ year old shimano spds, bulltet proof, though shoes and cleats need replacing every few years.

helps if you know how to true rims and maintain bearings etc.

the point being, it is far better to spend decent money if you are serious about cycling. 

full sus trail bike goes through parts faster, but it is ridden in anger, and ridden hard.  

the point being, it is far better to spend decent money if you are serious about cycling. 

I agree.  Years ago when I lived in north Phuket, I would enjoy cycling from the airport to Sarasin Bridge and back, using the small roads close to Mai Khao beach.

Now the construction of hotels has blocked access to that route and I stopped cycling on the main road in Phuket because it was too dangerous.

When I relocated to work in Naypyidaw, I deliberately chose a long-term hotel at some distance from my workplace, so I would be 'forced' to cycle every day.  This strategy has worked very well, but I am using a cheap ($100 USD) Chinese bicycle that I bought in the shopping centre, where the choice of bike models was exactly 1.

I've demonstrated to myself that cycling is extremely safe here (there being very few cars and all of them terrified of a 'whitey' on a bike - cars with right of way on the 12-lane roads stop to let me cycle pass - I assume they think I am some diplomat or VIP!).

So the next step is to buy and bring back a reasonable quality mountain bike on my next trip to BKK in a few months.  I don't need a top-quality model, just a rugged bike that I can ride on-road and on some basic trails.

Edited by simon43

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update:

I can now run (jog @ 9kph) for 5 or 6Km, with no problem.  I monitor my heart rate after each Km and plot it on a spreadsheet.  Each run that I make, my BPM drops by 1 (so on that basis, my heart will stop in 155 days LoL).

I'm also doing some fast, 1Km runs, to help build up my stamina for longer runs.

Knees? feet? No problems whatsoever (my bunion mentioned in a recent thread hasn't caused me any problems).

I've dropped about 9 Kg since I started getting fit in early February. Feeling good :)

I am trying to work up to regular 10Km jogs, but the high heat (100 F) and humidity levels (85-90%) are making this hard work :)

On 23/05/2017 at 8:57 AM, simon43 said:

Quick update:

I can now run (jog @ 9kph) for 5 or 6Km, with no problem.  I monitor my heart rate after each Km and plot it on a spreadsheet.  Each run that I make, my BPM drops by 1 (so on that basis, my heart will stop in 155 days LoL).

I'm also doing some fast, 1Km runs, to help build up my stamina for longer runs.

Knees? feet? No problems whatsoever (my bunion mentioned in a recent thread hasn't caused me any problems).

I've dropped about 9 Kg since I started getting fit in early February. Feeling good :)

I am trying to work up to regular 10Km jogs, but the high heat (100 F) and humidity levels (85-90%) are making this hard work :)

That is huge progress.

To build up endurance for the longer distances, do slow long runs on the weekend at a pace you can comfortably have a conversation. No need to run fast on those days. 

to build up your speed, on another day you do the sprint intervals. Try running hard for 20 seconds and then walking for 40 to recover. Then repeat 8-10 times. 

Another update - 1st June:

Now I'm jogging 10Km every other day after work.  I run for 5.5 minutes and then walk at 5.5kph for 30 seconds (fartlek).  This regime allows me to happily run the 10Km without getting too tired.

I'm currently running 10Km in about 60 minutes, and am slowly increasing my pace with a goal of about 50 minutes. No injuries, not short of breath, HR is not too high, not pushing myself too hard.

In light of this good progress, I think the most prudent step is to run the 10Km race in Bagan this November, not the half-marathon.  Although my running is fine, I do get rather bored during the run, and the thought of 2 hours of running sounds too mind-numbing.  I listen to some 'motivational' reggae dub music (the 'beat' sound matches my pace), onto which I've mixed a voice clock announcing each minute and half-minute.  So I know from the sounds coming through my headphones when to slow down for 30 seconds and how to keep my correct pace.

When I pop over to Bangkok in late July to get a new Myanmar visit, I have scheduled a heart stress test at BNH, just to make sure that everything is OK (my last such test was in 2014 and all was good).

3 months ago, I couldn't jog 100 metres - so I'm pleasantly surprised at my progress :)  I hope it motivates others on this forum as well.

• 1 month later...

A month since my last post, so here is a very short update.

Jogging is all OK.  I am now jogging 10 Km in 58 minutes, 25 seconds.  It should be under 58 minutes by next week as I slowly ramp up my pace.

My heart feels good, heartbeat slowly rises over 10 Km and then decreases rapidly when I cool down.  I don't feel exhausted after my run.

I continue my healthy diet.  I've dropped about 11 Kg since February.  My 'core' gets stronger from my gym work and my 'six pack' is quite visible, which is not bad at 58 years old.  My body fat % is about 12%, according to my caliper measurement.  I still have a little fat to lose on my lower abdomen, but not much to go.  

My 'weedy' upper body very slowly improves in muscle bulk - I can do an infinite more number of pull-ups than when I started my exercise routine (that means I could do zero pull-ups when I started and I can now do 4 of them!!)

21 hours ago, simon43 said:

A month since my last post, so here is a very short update.

Jogging is all OK.  I am now jogging 10 Km in 58 minutes, 25 seconds.  It should be under 58 minutes by next week as I slowly ramp up my pace.

My heart feels good, heartbeat slowly rises over 10 Km and then decreases rapidly when I cool down.  I don't feel exhausted after my run.

I continue my healthy diet.  I've dropped about 11 Kg since February.  My 'core' gets stronger from my gym work and my 'six pack' is quite visible, which is not bad at 58 years old.  My body fat % is about 12%, according to my caliper measurement.  I still have a little fat to lose on my lower abdomen, but not much to go.  

My 'weedy' upper body very slowly improves in muscle bulk - I can do an infinite more number of pull-ups than when I started my exercise routine (that means I could do zero pull-ups when I started and I can now do 4 of them!!)

Well done! I'm 59 and just started walking/jogging again after not doing so for over a year. I hate it. My biggest problem is chaffing but I'll remember to use petroleum jelly next time. As much as I hate it, people tell me it will burn fat more effectively than swimming and cycling - both of which I enjoy.

Your report inspires and shames me. I'll try harder.

Edited by paulsingle

I'm back running after an achilles issue.  There really is nothing to beat a light jog imo, and it also feels great when you improve.  But I have learned my lesson about adequate preparation, rest, and I would always advise caution at our age. Yet, I would say different strokes for different folk.

Well, I'm not an expert, but jogging will only burn fat effectively if you maintain your heart rate within some the 'fat-burning' band.  Run too fast and it's good exercise for your heart, but the most efficient pace to burn fat off.

I cycle to/from work every day at a leisurely pace -that probably burns more fat than my jogging.

But remember how long it took to put on the fat - it will not come off overnight.

Additionally, I see many others at my gym who walk, lift weights, jog a little.  They never lose an ounce of weight!  Why?  Because they have done nothing to change their usual diet of white rice, fatty meat, more white rice, more fatty meat, a few fizzy drinks every day etc.

I drastically changed my diet from the above (plus beer and pizza etc), to a diet with less sugar, less 'crap' food, and more fruit, veg, nuts, fish and probiotic yogurt.

IMHO, losing weight is 60% good diet and 40% fat-burning exercise.

Edited by simon43

Jogging is far too hard on the joints of old fellas, like us.

Hey! less of the 'old fellas, like us' :)

I understand that when you get too old to jog, that vigorous sex also burns a similar number of calories and is kinder to your knees.

38 minutes ago, simon43 said:

...vigorous sex also burns a similar number of calories and is kinder to your knees.

Kinder? One should never assume the level of gymnastics attempted by TV board members.

Edited by Senechal

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

Let's assume you're talking about losing fat, and not muscle.

... then it's 100% good diet and 100% exercise. You cannot lose fat without losing muscle if you don't exercise, therefore both are equally important. If you want to be flabby at a lower bodyweight, then, by all means, skip the exercise.

One of the great things about exercise is that it makes diet a bit less important. You can get away with more indiscretions. You have to have a life too. I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life without any chocolate, ice cream or cake etc (insert your favourite indiscretions) LOL.

Edited by tropo

... then it's 100% good diet and 100% exercise.

Ah, what I was trying to say is that the contribution to losing fat is IMHO 60% from a 100% good diet and 40% from a 100% relevant exercise regime, ==> meaning that you will not lose the fat if you just exercise and don't adopt a good diet.

At my gym are many local teachers from my school.  They exercise like crazy and never lose any fat, because they just pile on the white rice and sweet foods, without any apparent thought that this diet is holding them back from losing fat.

On 04/07/2017 at 7:49 PM, tropo said:

Let's assume you're talking about losing fat, and not muscle.

... then it's 100% good diet and 100% exercise. You cannot lose fat without losing muscle if you don't exercise, therefore both are equally important. If you want to be flabby at a lower bodyweight, then, by all means, skip the exercise.

One of the great things about exercise is that it makes diet a bit less important. You can get away with more indiscretions. You have to have a life too. I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life without any chocolate, ice cream or cake etc (insert your favourite indiscretions) LOL.

Yes, I'm left stone cold at the thought of having to train efficiently and be a slave to a healthy diet.  I appreciate it probably would be best, especially as my BP is a bit high at the moment but it is so boring.  I only want to be on a treadmill when I'm on a treadmill!

Edited by mommysboy

On 4-7-2017 at 3:50 PM, simon43 said:

Well, I'm not an expert, but jogging will only burn fat effectively if you maintain your heart rate within some the 'fat-burning' band.  Run too fast and it's good exercise for your heart, but the most efficient pace to burn fat off.

I cycle to/from work every day at a leisurely pace -that probably burns more fat than my jogging.

But remember how long it took to put on the fat - it will not come off overnight.

Additionally, I see many others at my gym who walk, lift weights, jog a little.  They never lose an ounce of weight!  Why?  Because they have done nothing to change their usual diet of white rice, fatty meat, more white rice, more fatty meat, a few fizzy drinks every day etc.

I drastically changed my diet from the above (plus beer and pizza etc), to a diet with less sugar, less 'crap' food, and more fruit, veg, nuts, fish and probiotic yogurt.

Small remark about the fat burning zone.. its debunked.

Yes you burn more fat at a lower pace (percentage).. but at  a higher pace you burn more calories.. and a lower percentage of that is fat.. but the actual percentage is still higher.. plus the burned calories that are not fat still have to be replaced..... so in the end its about the calories your burning not really the fat burning zone. Just look it up they can explain it better than I do. 

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-fitness/2009/03/03/the-fat-burning-zone-a-fitness-myth-debunked

Edited by robblok