Jogging for the first time in 40 years - sheer torture!

simon43

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rijb said:

“There’s this misconception that running is bad for your knees, but when you look at the science on it, it’s actually probably good for your knees,”

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/simple-running-trick-avoid-knee-pain

Just now, rijb said:

“There’s this misconception that running is bad for your knees, but when you look at the science on it, it’s actually probably good for your knees,”

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/simple-running-trick-avoid-knee-pain

Nonsense.. unless you are low weight and been doing it for years you can cause a lot of problems for yourself...   bad advice.. 

10 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

Nonsense.. unless you are low weight and been doing it for years you can cause a lot of problems for yourself...   bad advice.. 

Nonsense?  :cheesy:

Felson says that suggests that "running is actually healthy for the joint."

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees

37 minutes ago, Aforek said:

You are right  to speak of problem  of knees when running on concret ( I just didn't tell it, because the OP only spoke of jogging ) ; as for me, I am 67 , 66 kgs and I run 2-3 times a week  40 mn on ground and grass , I do also bicycle every day but jogging brings me more " ease " than the other sports, my brain is very well irrigate

anyway, there is no age to do exercise, but it's better to begin at 10 and all life than at 60 years old when fat already:  as told above, it is dangerous

The thing is, grass is often more difficult than concrete. A proper running surface is best, but much of the potential issue with knees is down to how hard you land on your feet. 

1 minute ago, Jonmarleesco said:

The thing is, grass is often more difficult than concrete. A proper running surface is best, but much of the potential issue with knees is down to how hard you land on your feet. 

Running on grass is good for the leg muscles.  Some of the biggest muscles in your body are in your legs.  Even walking on grass is a great workout.

17 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Get a treadmill and gradually increase the speed until you are running then back it down and then increase again... add a bit of incline - or even just walk really fast.

Any movement is good.  The more frequent, and the longer, the better.

21 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Older people start running again is a recipe for disaster in my book.

Swimming is better as it has low impact on those joints you probably havent used to capacity in years.

All well and good at the right place with the right surface, Try it in the wrong place and you may just regret it.

I think you are right. In my 40's I ran about 30 marathons and loads of half-marathons. I only mention this because I think it has kept me 'fit' into the 70's. However, I know that jogging on hard surfaces could be a disaster - it only needs one sprain. I stick to longish brisk walks of about 7-8 km. That seems to keep me in shape.  Good luck though.

Simon, I don`t know how old you are but you could be playing a dangerous game. If you haven`t done any jogging for 40 years and suddenly started to throw yourself into it, then you could be heading for a massive heart attack.

Thanks for the advice.  However, maybe I've understated my current state of fitness.  I typically walk 10 miles every day, don't drink or smoke, have the BP of a 40 year old (my doctor's comments, not mine, I'm touching 58 years old).  My heart stress tests were fine, no illnesses, no pre-existing conditions.

I have been doing the fast cycling for a month, and never had a stitch or felt 'pushed too far', except of course, for leg aches.

I'm maybe one of those guys who just doesn't like jogging :)

11 hours ago, simon43 said:

In a few weeks, I'm over in Bangkok and I will get my T levels, PSA etc etc all checked, and then embark on a routine to boost my T levels (and maybe HGH), so that my body hormones are at a 'better' level.

How will you boost your Testosterone level ?

I would walk fast instead of jogging in this heat. I use my health app and walk for 5 km , you'll drop calories for sure, maybe not as fast as running but it is really good exercise.  Also try walking up the stairs instead of taking the lift if you live in a condo . 

Cut out carbs and sugar, I lost 25k in 6 months, eat cheese and fats it will sate your appetite and do be careful, you can damage your knees with the steady pounding and extra body weight.

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

Thanks for the advice.  However, maybe I've understated my current state of fitness.  I typically walk 10 miles every day, don't drink or smoke, have the BP of a 40 year old (my doctor's comments, not mine, I'm touching 58 years old).  My heart stress tests were fine, no illnesses, no pre-existing conditions.

I have been doing the fast cycling for a month, and never had a stitch or felt 'pushed too far', except of course, for leg aches.

I'm maybe one of those guys who just doesn't like jogging :)

I was assuming as much.

It's just the first couple of weeks can be tortuous on the feet and shins.  You can quite easily get to the stage where you are hobbling along. 

For me, it has to be fun (eventually anyway).  So if you can't do it with at least a little smile on your face, I would advise backtracking a little as stated.

I was back in Blighty over Xmas. Jogging was hell because of the cold air hitting my airways, so I didn't bother. What's the point? I thought.

A couple of weeks time, you'll likely be bouncing along.

On 2/25/2017 at 6:41 PM, lopburi3 said:

Good?  Maybe not so much when you mention old and overweight.  Make sure your knees can take the punishment.  

Some X-rays for starters to see if the cartilage is still healthy. I had osteoarthritis in my knees many years before I had it properly diagnosed. 

I would put running at the bottom of the list of beneficial exercises for older, out of shape and/or heavy people. There's just too much impact going on - feet, ankles, shins, knees, hips and back. There could be a heavy price to pay to gain fitness when there are so many non-impact ways to get fit.

A good option could be stair climbing. It's non-impact but raises the heart rate very easily.

5 hours ago, rijb said:

I lot of supposition and wishful thinking in that article. These 2 comments stand out:

"it’s actually probably good for your knees"

and

"If your knees are achy, it could be that you need to tweak your form"

You'll notice that the article doesn't even mention body weight and age, the 2 most key factors in determining if running is the right choice of exercise. 

Well, if your knees are achy, you may have arthritis or some other injury. This is the more likely cause of knee pain in older people than running technique.

I weigh over 100kg and I'm 57 years old. I KNOW running is not for me. I'll challenge anyone to argue otherwise.

Something interesting that I have learned, though. When I gently bang on the ground with my heel, barefoot on a hard surface, my arthritic knees loosen up and feel better. I often do this if they're feeling stiff or achy.

If you're a heavyweight, unless you're young and playing some sport which requires running prowess, find something better to do. I've ordered a jump rope (a decent one - not the junk you see in the sports stores here) and I'm going to give that a go. It only requires a one-inch jump and it really works the heart.

On 2/25/2017 at 7:35 PM, JHolmesJr said:

Id exercise caution….the last thing you need is a new kneecap….costs a bomb.

Running places a lot of stress on older joints and if you're heavy you'll make it worse.

Id stick to gentler stuff like walking, swimming…..maybe even 2 half hour sets on a rowing machine.

And none if it works if you eat  like you always did.

Why are you suggesting 2 half-hour sets on a rowing machine? I've been rowing for decades and I can tell you that 30 minutes at a decent pace is all anyone would ever need. I never row for more than 45 minutes, and that's too long. Right now rowing is my only form of cardio work.

Shorter rows (30 minutes or less) and interval rowing are the best ways to get fit and lose fat. 

On 3/9/2017 at 11:06 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Are you running indoors or outdoors? Thai weather can be unforgiving. That being said jogging 100 meters and feeling the way you do is not normal. I'd certainly look for a second opinion regarding your health check-up.

And most importantly, get a heart rate monitor. You need to know how fast your heart is working, especially if you're unfit and older. The heat increases the heart rate quite a bit too. I don't do any cardio work without one on. When I'm finished I upload the data to my computer.

If you do interval training, it's essential. It tells you how hard to go and how long to rest. As a fit 57 year old I push into the 160's (bpm) on my intervals and rest until it's back in the 130 - 140 zone before I repeat. I don't time my rest period - my heart tells me when I'm ready. If I was unfit or had a long break from training, I'd lower my upper target rate and wait longer to start the subsequent intervals. It's the only safe way for an older person to train.

Also try walking up the stairs instead of taking the lift if you live in a condo . 

Actually, all my life I have considered lifts to be for lazy or disabled people.  I never use them, even if the condo has been on the 10th floor.  Just something instilled in me by my healthy father who also never used them.

On 25/02/2017 at 9:45 PM, simon43 said:

I don't have any intention of 'serious' running, just regular jogging, walking and cycle to get into shape and to keep it that way.

Be careful, its addictive :)

I started the same as you, back on the bike and then out with the running shoes... 6 months later I was on the start line at the CM half marathon !!

10 months after that I did the 1st Thailand Ultra Marathon, took me 12.5hrs but I finished just...

You have been warned, it's a slippery slope to fitness :)

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, lopburi3 said:

Good?  Maybe not so much when you mention old and overweight.  Make sure your knees can take the punishment.  

Right you are lopburi3.

I am over 80 and walk every evening around a lake in the town where I live.

About a 3 km walk, tried to run, but boy oh boy, my knees.:shock1:

Aside from Tropo we havent mentioned heat, and duration.

I'm not in to torture so I don't exercise while the sun is up.  I find 5pm onwards is ok.  I can't help thinking running during the day is dangerous.

I also prefer exercise short and sweet.  I figure if you haven't done what you need to do in 15 minutes then when are you going to do it.  When I see tired bodies painfully, sweating along I shudder- that simply is not good for anyone lest of all over 50's.

On 2/25/2017 at 6:41 PM, lopburi3 said:

Knees are a very good point. They take the brunt of your weight and if you are grossly overweight and remember that ligaments have a very small upper limit of deformity. Go past that limit (as can happen if your foot lands irregularly while jogging) and you could be in trouble especially as one gets to senior age. A damaged ligament might require surgery. If you are jogging on a hard unyielding surface (concrete etc.) make sure your footwear is both comfortable and firm.  Also important, we are all different and have different levels of tolerance mentally and physically. Find your own 'comfort zone' then try pushing a little to extend that zone and graually you'll be able see your progress.. Take time out on your jog to do a little stretching, twisting etc. Both bike peddling and jogging may be good but your torso remains basically in one position (two dimensional). Stretching, twisting, bending not only help the torso but these movements also massage inner organs. OP Take care and best of luck.

I have read a few posts commenting on sore shins and feet. I am in my 50's, run regularly (have had a few slack periods where i got lazy and stopped) and have no issues with knees and joints. I replace my running shoes every 12-16 weeks (run about 60-70km a week) and the indicator to change them is when i start to feel any shin pain, which indicates the running shoe has lost its cushioning. Having said that I always buy the same make and model of running shoe, so i know the signs when the shoe is at the end of its running life. Also important is to select a shoe that suits your running distance, pronation and weight. One running shoe model definitely doesnt suit all runners. I also agree with others though, running should only be one activity type and equally important is core strength from other excercise types. I found cycling, swimming and upright rowing to be very effective in losing weight, increasing endurance but the most beneficial exercise of all is simply taking the time for stretching , as that allows for nice loose running or other activity. The only time i have ever managed to maintain a 6 pack was by combining multiple exercise types with diet, running alone wont strip off the fat everywhere.

Running coaches do exist and can evaluate your gait and determine the correct shoes for you, whether you pronate or supinate. The appropriate shoes for your running style cannot be overestimated.  I would suggest spending the baht to get evaluated.  Hope you can locate someone...GOOD LUCK and stick with it, my man. 

6 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Aside from Tropo we havent mentioned heat, and duration.

I'm not in to torture so I don't exercise while the sun is up.  I find 5pm onwards is ok.  I can't help thinking running during the day is dangerous.

I also prefer exercise short and sweet.  I figure if you haven't done what you need to do in 15 minutes then when are you going to do it.  When I see tired bodies painfully, sweating along I shudder- that simply is not good for anyone lest of all over 50's.

I see people torturing themselves everyday in the park. Many of them never take a day off. Many are doing far more harm than good.

Taking days off is one of the hardest things for many new fitness enthusiasts to do. It is quite common for people to overdo it when they start, thinking they have to make up for lost time. Sooner than later injuries will sideline them making the whole effort a waste of time and energy.

Jogging/running when knocking on a bit is a bit dodgy,

as said swimming, cycling and low intensity exercise is far more safe and beneficial, your knee joints were not designed to be carrying you jogging in later years. From your stated weight most men would probably love to be sub 80Ks just carry on with your cycling and safe exercise couple with a balanced healthy diet and enjoy life... No pain no gain crap when your older is a bit daft... Use your common sense and listen to your body...

Archived