Jogging for the first time in 40 years - sheer torture!

simon43

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, tropo said:

What you really have to ask yourself is - why am I running? You know it's high impact, therefore you know the risk is higher than it is for low impact exercises.

When I'd suffered from plantar fasiitis and had to quit running more than 2 years, I search for others form of cardio workout that I can did by not hurt my heel.

I found rowing is perfect for replace my running workout, it burn almost the same amount of calories (500kcal for running, 460kcal for rowing at 30minutes in both workout).

Even though I like rowing but I can't quit running.I feel it have somthing differences.

I feel the feeling after workout of running is better than rowing, this is my personal observation.

I can sleep better after running, this is another point that I can compare between them.

4 hours ago, tropo said:

I agree on that. I got bad plantar fasciitis from walking around the house for months with the wrong flip flops. They weren't flat. It is hard to get rid of because we need our feet and it's hard to give them a break.

Maybe it's time to invest in decent running shoes.Actually I'd never buy expensive running shoes.The most expensive one is just 1,000 baht.?

5 minutes ago, TaveewatLim said:

Maybe it's time to invest in decent running shoes.Actually I'd never buy expensive running shoes.The most expensive one is just 1,000 baht.?

You have discovered the reason now. There are some amazing running shoes available these days, but at least 4000 baht for a good pair.

57 minutes ago, TaveewatLim said:

When I'd suffered from plantar fasiitis and had to quit running more than 2 years, I search for others form of cardio workout that I can did by not hurt my heel.

I found rowing is perfect for replace my running workout, it burn almost the same amount of calories (500kcal for running, 460kcal for rowing at 30minutes in both workout).

Even though I like rowing but I can't quit running.I feel it have somthing differences.

I feel the feeling after workout of running is better than rowing, this is my personal observation.

I can sleep better after running, this is another point that I can compare between them.

If you start experimenting with HIIT and different stroke rates on the rowing machine, you may feel differently. It sounds like you have the running bug, which is difficult to kill LOL.

My main cardio is circuit training, including about 10 different weight exercises interspersed with intensive rowing and SkiErg'ing for short 5-minute pieces. This lasts at least an hour and works the whole body in a way no single exercise can and what makes it even sweeter is that there is no impact. Even better, there's no need to do this more than 3 times a week. That's bang for your buck!

There is no reason why one must separate strength and cardio exercise. I like to save time and do it all at the same time. This idea is catching on with the popularity of Cross Fitness.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to set yourself up to do these kinds of programs as you need a specialized gym. I'm certainly not using my criticism of running as an excuse not to exercise as I've invested nearly 200k to set myself up to exercise the way I want to.

My wife likes to walk in the park, so I do that too, but when I do that I climb stairs to increase my heart rate. Fortunately, we have a series of steps adding up to over 200 in the local park. Fast stair climbing works the leg muscles more than running and elevates the heart rate faster too - with no impact. By the time I get to the top step I've reached my maximum heart rate. I'll then recover going back down and do it all over again, in circuits.

Edited by tropo

44 minutes ago, tropo said:

You have discovered the reason now. There are some amazing running shoes available these days, but at least 4000 baht for a good pair.

Always buy mine (Nike, just because they suit my foot width) in the sales. Never pay more than 2500 a pair and always buy another pair before time if I see a sale... 

32 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Always buy mine (Nike, just because they suit my foot width) in the sales. Never pay more than 2500 a pair and always buy another pair before time if I see a sale... 

Of course, I'm talking about the full price for a new model. Some people see a shoe and want it there and then, and don't want to wait around for the possibility of a sale on that particular shoe sometime in the future... not to mention finding the exact size you need in a sale. Some models are over 5000 baht here. If I was an avid runner, I'd pay full price for a shoe that impressed me.

53 minutes ago, tropo said:

Of course, I'm talking about the full price for a new model. Some people see a shoe and want it there and then, and don't want to wait around for the possibility of a sale on that particular shoe sometime in the future... not to mention finding the exact size you need in a sale. Some models are over 5000 baht here. If I was an avid runner, I'd pay full price for a shoe that impressed me.

Yes,  popular running shoe like asic nimbus or adidas ultra boost are cost around 6,500 baht. ?

2 hours ago, tropo said:

If you start experimenting with HIIT and different stroke rates on the rowing machine, you may feel differently. It sounds like you have the running bug, which is difficult to kill LOL.

My main cardio is circuit training, including about 10 different weight exercises interspersed with intensive rowing and SkiErg'ing for short 5-minute pieces. This lasts at least an hour and works the whole body in a way no single exercise can and what makes it even sweeter is that there is no impact. Even better, there's no need to do this more than 3 times a week. That's bang for your buck!

There is no reason why one must separate strength and cardio exercise. I like to save time and do it all at the same time. This idea is catching on with the popularity of Cross Fitness.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to set yourself up to do these kinds of programs as you need a specialized gym. I'm certainly not using my criticism of running as an excuse not to exercise as I've invested nearly 200k to set myself up to exercise the way I want to.

My wife likes to walk in the park, so I do that too, but when I do that I climb stairs to increase my heart rate. Fortunately, we have a series of steps adding up to over 200 in the local park. Fast stair climbing works the leg muscles more than running and elevates the heart rate faster too - with no impact. By the time I get to the top step I've reached my maximum heart rate. I'll then recover going back down and do it all over again, in circuits.

To be fair no one would do a single exercise for 1 hr if you wanted an all round fitness !

So are you walking or running as all you say is fast stair climbing ? anyway i'm sure i'd feel it on my knee's.

As a matter of interest how different is your actual maximum heart rate to the 220 minus your age formula to get your maximum, i find it impressive that you reach your maximum heart rate from the stair climbing but crikey you must be out on your feet if your at your max heart rate for any length of time.

In general, exercise is horses for courses and people have different idea's of what exercise is for them, people who want to get fit to do a marathon would be no good carrying our your training regime likewise someone who wanted to bulk up for a bodybuilding competition would also not want to do your training regime so there's not really a right or wrong just what suit's the individual.

Edited by alfieconn

1 hour ago, TaveewatLim said:

Yes,  popular running shoe like asic nimbus or adidas ultra boost are cost around 6,500 baht. ?

And worth every baht if you're pounding the pavement every day. I'd look for other to save money if I was doing it.

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

To be fair no one would do a single exercise for 1 hr if you wanted an all round fitness !

So are you walking or running as all you say is fast stair climbing ? anyway i'm sure i'd feel it on my knee's.

As a matter of interest how different is your actual maximum heart rate to the 220 minus your age formula to get your maximum, i find it impressive that you reach your maximum heart rate from the stair climbing but crikey you must be out on your feet if your at your max heart rate for any length of time.

In general, exercise is horses for courses and people have different idea's of what exercise is for them, people who want to get fit to do a marathon would be no good carrying our your training regime likewise someone who wanted to bulk up for a bodybuilding competition would also not want to do your training regime so there's not really a right or wrong just what suit's the individual.

People spend an hour doing a single movement if they're running, walking, cycling, treadmilling, swimming etc. It's probably the most common way that people exercise. 

It's nice if you can do an exercise that takes care of the whole body at once, like rowing.

I weigh around 100kg, so walking fast upstairs does get my heart rate up quickly. My theoretical maximum using the 220-age formula gives me 162. I've hit 177 at the top of the stairs, or at a full effort row. If I went silly I'd probably get a few more bpm, but that's close to my max. It doesn't hurt my knees because the steps in the park are quite low. 

You're talking about something different. I'm talking about exercising to stay fit and healthy. To achieve 3 goals:

1. Keeping the circulatory system in good condition.

2. Keeping the muscular system strong and balanced with posture good.

3. Keeping the skeletal structure strong.

Vanity could be worth a mention too, as people want to look good.

Of course, exercise is only a part of the equation. Diet is equally important.

Training to perform in a marathon is the height of overtraining and obsession. It ain't healthy. Bulking up to compete in bodybuilding contests requires a lot of chemical abuse - also not healthy. A current Mr. Olympia contender died 2 weeks ago at the age of 26 - probably caused by insulin shock as they use large doses of insulin to build muscle. My training regimen will not allow people to be competitive in marathon runs or bodybuilding contests - you're right there. If you're into contests, you'll have to apply the SAID principle. You're not going to be a good marathon runner if you're swimming or rowing all week and visa versa. 

I'm talking about exercise that gives you the most benefit for the time you put in, not an obsession to perform in some sporting contest. I don't exercise to perform in events. I don't exercise to compete. I just exercise to stay alive. I want to do it the most efficient way possible as I don't want to waste time and energy doing inefficient exercises that can cause injury.

A bit of jogging is good for you, but more than say 20 mins. in one session?  Personally, I cant see the benefit of doing more.  And anyway,  if you haven't done what you need to do in say half an hour, then when are you going to do it?  I agree with other posters that jogging puts tremendous pressure on the feet and knees, and moreover I personally think that too much is detrimental to healt, although there will always be exceptions as with keen amateur distance runners.

Keep it short and run at a fair clip.

A bit of jogging is good for you, but more than say 20 mins. in one session?

Every weekday after work, I jog 5 Km (25 minutes), and do some gym work to improve my abs, chest and arm muscles.  That's it, about 1 hour in total, plus my daily cycling to/from work. A couple of times a week, I'll jog 10 Km.

I do have good jogging shoes (Adidas Glide), which are like dance shoes - they are extremely comfortable and although I have a bunion (from decades ago), I never have any pain or issues with it.

I also have a pair of Asic Gel Nimbus shoes for road-running, bought them at a discounted price of about 6,000 baht.

23 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Every weekday after work, I jog 5 Km (25 minutes), and do some gym work to improve my abs, chest and arm muscles.  That's it, about 1 hour in total, plus my daily cycling to/from work. A couple of times a week, I'll jog 10 Km.

I do have good jogging shoes (Adidas Glide), which are like dance shoes - they are extremely comfortable and although I have a bunion (from decades ago), I never have any pain or issues with it.

I also have a pair of Asic Gel Nimbus shoes for road-running, bought them at a discounted price of about 6,000 baht.

To me, it sounds like you've deloped an obsession with running and are looking for justification that what you're doing is good.

That's a hell of a lot of running for someone who was out of shape and didn't run for 40 years, not long ago.

I have a serious question: Why do you run every day? Rather than, for example, every second or third day? Do you not think that your body needs to have rest? Even from a performance aspect, you'll get better faster if you run less often - I'll put money on that.

I don't do anything every day. I'll never do the same program 2 days in a row. I'd like to know why people do this - seriously? If I thought there was an advantage to daily training I would be doing it. It's not that I'm lazy, just that I'm looking for the most efficient way to exercise. I most certainly don't want to do more than I need to do though...

A smarter way to train would be to run one day, do your weights the next day, and run again the day after.

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

A bit of jogging is good for you, but more than say 20 mins. in one session?  Personally, I cant see the benefit of doing more.  And anyway,  if you haven't done what you need to do in say half an hour, then when are you going to do it?  I agree with other posters that jogging puts tremendous pressure on the feet and knees, and moreover I personally think that too much is detrimental to healt, although there will always be exceptions as with keen amateur distance runners.

Keep it short and run at a fair clip.

Come on don't be a mommysboy, running not the monster people make out it is. Have a look at some of the fit people that do the 100Mile trail races, now that's what i call flogging yourself out.

3 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Come on don't be a mommysboy, running not the monster people make out it is. Have a look at some of the fit people that do the 100Mile trail races, now that's what i call flogging yourself out.

It's something I really enjoy.  But 2-3 km every other day at a swift pace is enough for me, and any more I start to feel jaded. 

Yes there will always be exceptions, but you have to judge yourself by normal standards

I think it's been proven that too much exercise dampens the immune system.  What is too much?  I can't rightly answer that one, but I see people pounding the roads clearly looking knackered despite going slowly, and I reckon that is a symptom of doing too much for too long.

Just now, mommysboy said:

It's something I really enjoy.  But 2-3 km every other day at a swift pace is enough for me, and any more I start to feel jaded. 

Yes there will always be exceptions, but you have to judge yourself by normal standards

I think it's been proven that too much exercise dampens the immune system.  What is too much?  I can't rightly answer that one, but I see people pounding the roads clearly looking knackered despite going slowly, and I reckon that is a symptom of doing too much for too long.

yeah some people do go over the top, i still think the cross training is the best result overall. Running outside in Thailand can be brutal, even after dark, probably more so the dehydration effect than the pounding. I've managed to leak most of my body fluids out a couple of times and it wasnt a pleasant feeling

Why do you run every day?

I don't run every day.... I jog every day.

If I wanted to run, then my pace would be maybe 15 kph and I would be really tired after completing the run.

I jog for 25 minutes at (what is for me now), an easy pace.  I never get out of breath, never get a stitch, never feel exhausted, never get any pains in my legs.

It's an easy and enjoyable jog :)

That's a hell of a lot of running for someone who was out of shape and didn't run for 40 years, not long ago.

Perhaps my idea of 'out of shape' is not the same as your idea.  By 'out of shape', I mean that I wasn't following a fitness regime previously - ever.

I would cycle and walk.  Sometimes I'd cycle 40 Km in an afternoon (in Phuket when I lived there).  Sometimes I'd walk 10 Km.  But I considered myself out of shape.

Now, at that time, if I compared my level of fitness with someone else of similar age, who smoked, drank a lot of alcohol and stuffed their face full of chip butties and McDonalds, then I would probably be much fitter and more healthy than them, (which is why almost ALL of my western friends from Phuket who were my age or younger are now all dead!! ==> heart attacks, diabetes, liver failure, cancer, suicide, motorbike accidents).

I could go the same way.  But the moderate amount of exercise that I do and my healthy diet should hopefully reduce the likelihood of some of the above causes of death.

Edited by simon43

20 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Why do you run every day?

I don't run every day.... I jog every day.

If I wanted to run, then my pace would be maybe 15 kph and I would be really tired after completing the run.

I jog for 25 minutes at (what is for me now), an easy pace.  I never get out of breath, never get a stitch, never feel exhausted, never get any pains in my legs.

It's an easy and enjoyable jog :)

LOL> Jogging is RUNNING at a slow pace. It's all running, but just to avoid any confusion, please substitute every "run" I've posted here for "jog".... 

Would it be ok for me to use "slow running" instead?

14 hours ago, simon43 said:

Maybe 'fast walking' :)

I like fast walking. Did you know that at the point where you can't walk any faster and need to start running, you're burning more calories walking. As soon as you break into a run (sorry, jog) you become more efficient.

I am 67, tall 1m68, 66 kgs, I run every three days, 6.30 am if I can wake up, 40 mn, not fast, with Reebok shoes, paid 1500 bahts, never hurt, never tired, only on ground ,  I have found exactly what I need 

other days I do apartment bicycle , 40 mn each time 

I really think that jogging is very good, better than the other sports, but it's my opinion 

21 hours ago, tropo said:

LOL> Jogging is RUNNING at a slow pace. It's all running, but just to avoid any confusion, please substitute every "run" I've posted here for "jog".... 

Would it be ok for me to use "slow running" instead?

Whatever you feel about this subject , the most important thing is to stay active , especially at old age.  That means movement . 

We can all agree that running hard ever day in this heat is not really healthy , but a daily workout , cycling, walking fast and jogging  will give you a better health .  

And I mean daily, there is no excuse for sitting in that chair 12 hours of the day . 

8 hours ago, Aforek said:

I am 67, tall 1m68, 66 kgs, I run every three days, 6.30 am if I can wake up, 40 mn, not fast, with Reebok shoes, paid 1500 bahts, never hurt, never tired, only on ground ,  I have found exactly what I need 

other days I do apartment bicycle , 40 mn each time 

I really think that jogging is very good, better than the other sports, but it's my opinion 

That's a great program - alternating different types of exercise on different days - well done!

8 hours ago, Aforek said:

Last time, a woman who saw me for the first time thought I am 55 years ( instead of 67 ) ; good :smile:

If someone asks me how old I think they are, I usually lie and offer a lower number than I think... especially women. Conversely, I would never ask anyone to guess my age to avoid a disappointing answer.:smile:

Often athletes who over do their training look older than their true age.

• 2 weeks later...