Buying a new laptop and new smartphone - in Thailand or US?

JimmyJ

My laptop is still working but has problems with keyboard, ports, etc.

Sony is no longer in the laptop business or I'd pay for a complete overhaul repair as it is (or was) a great laptop and expensive.

So before I make a move to Thailand I may buy a new one if the prices (and variety) are a lot better in the US.

Likewise my LG smartphone will be about 2 years old by the time I move. I'll be able to purchase it outright (leasing now) for $200 (working fine and has a removable battery), or else buy a new one.

Same question - better to buy in the US or Thailand for price and variety?

Edited by JimmyJ

The lappie is a no brainer, buy in the US. Ensure it has a universal (100-250V) power supply (99% do) and that is has, or you can buy, a global warranty.

It you buy a mobile ensure it can do all the various bands and technologies in use in Thailand, there are various sites detailing these (Google is your friend). Even the same model sold in the US may have a different radio. Smartphones are cheap here if you stay off the big name stuff.

If you want to buy a notebook with global warranty you pay for it also. Compare notebooks from several brand names in Thailand (with domestic warranty) and notebooks you can buy in the US (global warranty) with similar specifications. And figure out which one is best. My advice, buy a notebook model that they also sell in Thailand, otherwise you can still wait a month or longer for parts with global warranty.

Similar about mobile phones, some mobile phones sold in the US, with the same name have sometimes a slower processor. Several Samsung models for example...

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Same question - better to buy in the US or Thailand for price and variety?

Price wise, you'll be better in the USA for the laptop.  Because of the way smartphones in the US are generally tied to a service provider, the picture is not so clear.

On the more critical "variety" question, Thailand has a huge market for computers and phones and you'll be spoiled for all the choices here, and the ease of buying them.  So don't worry that you'll get here and be faced with few choices.

You'll also find the minor accessories (cables, adapters, etc) are easier to buy and cheaper in Thailand than in the stores in the USA.  Interweb shopping evens the playing field, but sometimes it's great to scrounge around the shops just to see what's out there.  And that's much easier and cheaper in Thailand- with a better variety because the big stores in the USA only carry the high volume items.  Thailand's kiosks carry the eclectic stuff.

Personally, I'd buy them both here.  Not on price, but on overall satisfaction.

My one experience in buying a computer in Thailand was that the operating system was not genuine.  After a few months a message appeared on screen, from Microsoft, telling me to install a genuine program.

MS programs such as Office, ceased working and could not be retrieved.  :sick:

Yes, I later installed MS 10 for free when it was offered.

Is the OP certain that Sony Thailand will not do the necessary repairs? The Sony Service Centre on Petchburi Road in Bangkok appears still to be functioning. I haven't been there for a couple of years but always found them very efficient and helpful with my old, now sadly defunct, Vaio laptop.

On ‎26‎-‎02‎-‎2017 at 6:42 AM, Crossy said:

The lappie is a no brainer, buy in the US. Ensure it has a universal (100-250V) power supply (99% do) and that is has, or you can buy, a global warranty.

It you buy a mobile ensure it can do all the various bands and technologies in use in Thailand, there are various sites detailing these (Google is your friend). Even the same model sold in the US may have a different radio. Smartphones are cheap here if you stay off the big name stuff.

Also make sure that it will work OK at 60 HZ.

I know some has problems with US laptops in Denmark that has 60 HZ as in Thailand, The US labtops go on 50 HZ.

For Choice and price, buy a Laptop in the US. Some people write about parts of your laptop not available or with difficulty available in Thailand. I wonder which parts?

What will break after a while? Most likely the hard drive... easy to buy in Thailand.

Your screen might brake... that is difficult to replace.

Memory? Hardly goes kaputt. You can upgrade it in Thailand, no problem.

If you buy one with DVD drive, you can replace that drive with a second HDD... Which I would do: buy a laptop with a SSD as main drive and put a bigger (1 TB or more) HDD as second drive. If you want to store a lot, this is a very good option.

Concerning phone... I would definitly buy it in Thailand. There is no lock on most phones here, so you can use it anywhere. Apart from Samsung or Apple, there are very good options here, from less then 4000 Baht up to 26000 Baht... My Wiko (French brand, but Chinese built, bought in Thailand) was 4000 Baht. After two years it still has a great battery life (unlike my Samsung Note 4) is very slim and I'm happy with it. Duo SIM etc.... now of course an outdated model, so for the same price you will get an even better phone!

Good luck with your purchases!

I'm interested in bringing my Apple iMac computer from the USA to Thailand.  The specifications as provided by Apple for my iMac is:

Electrical and Operating Requirements

• Line voltage: 100-240V AC
  • Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase

I should be OK using my USA iMac model in Thailand?  Does it have to be 250V AC or is 240V AC acceptable?

Just now, ddotmark said:

I'm interested in bringing my Apple iMac computer from the USA to Thailand.  The specifications as provided by Apple for my iMac is:

Electrical and Operating Requirements

• Line voltage: 100-240V AC
  • Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase

I should be OK using my USA iMac model in Thailand?  Does it have to be 250V AC or is 240V AC acceptable?

Don't worry, it will work just fine!

1 hour ago, Jorgendk said:

Also make sure that it will work OK at 60 HZ.

I know some has problems with US laptops in Denmark that has 60 HZ as in Thailand, The US labtops go on 50 HZ.

Thailand uses 230 Volts 50 Hz, USA 110/240 Volts 60 Hz.

As the chargers/adaptors are actually switching powers supplies, the mains frequency and usually voltage do not matter.

So no problem for 99% of adaptors.

3 hours ago, Xobtsiwt said:

Is the OP certain that Sony Thailand will not do the necessary repairs? The Sony Service Centre on Petchburi Road in Bangkok appears still to be functioning. I haven't been there for a couple of years but always found them very efficient and helpful with my old, now sadly defunct, Vaio laptop.

"Sayonara, VAIO: Sony sells off PC business to focus on mobile"

Feb 6, 2014

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2095180/sony-sheds-vaio-pc-business-turns-tv-unit-into-subsidiary.html

Edited by JimmyJ

7 hours ago, Thaijack2014 said:

For Choice and price, buy a Laptop in the US. Some people write about parts of your laptop not available or with difficulty available in Thailand. I wonder which parts?

What will break after a while? Most likely the hard drive... easy to buy in Thailand.

Your screen might brake... that is difficult to replace.

Memory? Hardly goes kaputt. You can upgrade it in Thailand, no problem.

If you buy one with DVD drive, you can replace that drive with a second HDD... Which I would do: buy a laptop with a SSD as main drive and put a bigger (1 TB or more) HDD as second drive. If you want to store a lot, this is a very good option.

Concerning phone... I would definitly buy it in Thailand. There is no lock on most phones here, so you can use it anywhere. Apart from Samsung or Apple, there are very good options here, from less then 4000 Baht up to 26000 Baht... My Wiko (French brand, but Chinese built, bought in Thailand) was 4000 Baht. After two years it still has a great battery life (unlike my Samsung Note 4) is very slim and I'm happy with it. Duo SIM etc.... now of course an outdated model, so for the same price you will get an even better phone!

Good luck with your purchases!

From the 20 Acer Notebook we have in the office 2 had in the last year a problem with the mainboard, from what I understand from other notebook owners... a bad mainboard is the second biggest problems with modern notebooks... as so much is integrated on the mainboard...

If the main board is the big issue, you might as well buy a new laptop. Take out the had and memory and sell it on Ebay or the like.

As long there is a warranty, you might have it replaced, but without it, I would not only buy a new laptop, but a different brand as well.

Laptop I would buy in US.  I haven't dealt with an international warranty myself, but over the years people have posted about not having the warranty honored in Thailand, or having them honor it only after a long episode of contact with corporate headquarters etc.  The employees are very busy texting their friends and watching videos and have no time for bothersome foreigners with something they didn't even buy in Thailand.  If the machine came with one and it developed problems I might give it a try but my expectations would be low.

I purchased two laptops in Thailand, one an HP/Compaq, the other a Toshiba.  Both developed problems with the graphics hardware -- not the screen, but the graphics card that runs the screen.  Coincidence? Still got 2-3 years use out of each.  With one of them some idiot spilled coffee on the machine (ahem!) and I was able to find a replacement keyboard easily, and cheap (500b if I recall correctly).

Something you don't see much of in the US is phones that accommodate removable SIM cards, which you will definitely want, and most phones sold in SE Asia have.  In addition to Thailand, if you visit a neighboring country you can pick up a local SIM for prepaid service.  Air Asia will even sell you the SIM with your ticket (if traveling to Malaysia): get off the plane, go to the kiosk in the airport, and you'll be set up with a local number in minutes, very handy (I haven't done that in a while, can't say if they still offer it).  GSMarena is a good site for checking a phone's international compatibility, and specs in general.