CC unpaid can you leave the country?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt they would check it, when you leave the country. Morally its of course totally wrong to leave the country not paying your bills. It also makes it harder for foreigners in the future to get creditcards because of actions like this.

Unfortunately there will always be people who have absolutely no problems not paying their bills and screwing businesses over. 

Just my 2 cents. 

In most cases that is by having: a valid work permit for a job you've held for at least 6 months, bank book/records showing your salary deposits for the preceding 6 months, paystub/salary verification letter from your employer. Most banks will verify your employment/salary statements directly with your employer. Each banks sets their own internal underwriting/approval criteria, but B50,000 gross per month, is typically the minimum salary required for non-Thais to be approved for a traditional credit card and without the requirement for any kind of pledged asset/account.

That's the most common requirements -- some may add a thing or two.. some may ask for less.. but largely this is the norm for those who are not in/on retiree-status..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Credit card companies are not doing anyone a favour by issuing them with a credit card. They earn a lot of money from this. As such, they make provisions in their balance sheets for bad debts, that are rather endemic in this trade.

I ridicule the notion that not paying one's credit card bill is amoral. There are companies that don't pay hundreds of millions in debt, no one seems to give a damn about that, they call it a "default". But if an individual does it, it's suddenly an abhorrent crime.

You can leave the country owing money to credit cards as long as they have not started court proceedings to recover debt..

But returning to Thailand with a credit card debt that has gone legal could cause you problems the moment you arrive back as there could be a warrant out for you.

some credit card and banking terms and conditions stipulate that if the account holder is no longer resident in the country then all bank accounts must be closed and the the CC balance be settled...maybe this is what the OP is referring to...this is usual in the Middle East with expat workers...

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

They should feel quite at home in Thailand.

Yes Thailand does attract a certain type of people who don't mind skipping on debts and screwing people over. As a business owner myself I hate going after the money that is owed. It just sucks a lot to provide a service and then not get paid. (can't always be avoided). I see it a lot with my clients too, people or companies skipping out on debts.. its a big problem that can destroy companies / people that is why I hate people like that. 

8 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

You can leave the country owing money to credit cards as long as they have not started court proceedings to recover debt..

But returning to Thailand with a credit card debt that has gone legal could cause you problems the moment you arrive back as there could be a warrant out for you.

Hopefully his credit rating follows him.

8 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Credit card companies are not doing anyone a favour by issuing them with a credit card. They earn a lot of money from this. As such, they make provisions in their balance sheets for bad debts, that are rather endemic in this trade.

I ridicule the notion that not paying one's credit card bill is amoral. There are companies that don't pay hundreds of millions in debt, no one seems to give a damn about that, they call it a "default". But if an individual does it, it's suddenly an abhorrent crime.

What a dreadful attitude you have Jr.

Robblok was spot on in his post: morally dead wrong to deliberately walk away from a debt you knowingly incurred. Only the dregs of a society would do such a thing. If that's you, shame on you.

4 minutes ago, KhunOr said:

What a dreadful attitude you have Jr.

Robblok was spot on in his post: morally dead wrong to deliberately walk away from a debt you knowingly incurred. Only the dregs of a society would do such a thing. If that's you, shame on you.

Yes, Robblok is spot on in his post, there are lots of guys like him, and only right morons would try and screw him, he is giving an honest service to his customers, but banks, insurance companies, and plenty of big business are screwing ordinary people like us. I think everyone knows what I am saying.

If your are able to pay but can't and still have to leave Thailand, ask the bank and ask to forward the monthly CC statements to your new address and tell them when you will make you next payment and or pay the outstanding debt and cancel the card. If you fail to make payment, the CC will be canceled and you may have trouble getting a new one.

6 minutes ago, geisha said:

I would suggest to Blinks1978 that if he doesn't have the money and needs to leave quickly, he can pay the bank the money with his first pay check from his new job ! 

and how many times have banks stolen from us? They do it all the time.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

and how many times have banks stolen from us? They do it all the time.

And imagine what would happen to the system if everybody adopted the attitude/actions suggested by the OP..................

I am reminded of the saying 2 wrongs...........:sad:

21 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, Robblok is spot on in his post, there are lots of guys like him, and only right morons would try and screw him, he is giving an honest service to his customers, but banks, insurance companies, and plenty of big business are screwing ordinary people like us. I think everyone knows what I am saying.

That's one big chip you have on your shoulder there possum.

I have never in my life been cheated by a bank or credit card company and nor would I ever contemplate trying to cheat them. We all have an option whether to open an account or have a credit card and if we play by the rules, they are great services to have.

8 hours ago, mduras01 said:

Karma's a bitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

There is no karma.

That being said Thai Visa always closes threads in relation to even a hint of some illegal activity such as buying Sidegra without prescription.

OP is asking about consciously skipping on his debt obligations which can land you in jail even in the West.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum

53 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes Thailand does attract a certain type of people who don't mind skipping on debts and screwing people over. As a business owner myself I hate going after the money that is owed. It just sucks a lot to provide a service and then not get paid. (can't always be avoided). I see it a lot with my clients too, people or companies skipping out on debts.. its a big problem that can destroy companies / people that is why I hate people like that. 

Presumably you hate all of the Greeks also as they skipped on their EU debts ?

Just now, whatawonderfulday said:

Presumably you hate all of the Greeks also as they skipped on their EU debts ?

Of course.. one should honor debts.. else the whole system crashes. You can say banks are big.. but they also employ people and if we all skip these will also lose their jobs. If you have no money and you can't pay they you pay later, or at least try something. People seem to step away from debts too easy. I see it loads of times as I am an accountant. I have many small and bigger clients and people not paying is a big problem. It causes companies to  collapse and then default other companies.  Many times people just think its easy to walk away.. they don't think about economizing and hurting themselves a bit to pay off.. they just run. 

I feel people skipping on debts are thieves no more no less. I have had people skipping on debts and I sue them usually that means I still get money and they get a lot of extra costs (then  I have no mercy). While if someone comes to me says that he has a problem now and suggests a payment plan.. that is much better and I almost always agree.

3 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Just because you can rationalize amoral actions doesn't make them the right thing to do. I've had my own business and contractors I dealt with figured it was better for them to keep the money they owed me.

Yes that is the problem.. many see companies as someone they can cheat on because its just a company and they are rich.

10 hours ago, robblok said:

It also makes it harder for foreigners in the future to get creditcards because of actions like this.

Oh dear.

Thailand has its very own, quite robust but a bit arcane credit rating system. One thing it does have in common with credit rating in the 'real world' is it doesn't factor in anyone else's payment history when considering any other individual's credit application.