Slowly, Phuket beaches see return of sun loungers

snoop1130

Slowly, Phuket beaches see return of sun loungers

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1488534479_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- As announced by The Phuket News yesterday (Mar 2), sun loungers returned to Kata Beach today under the watchful eye of Gen Santi Sakuntanak, Commander of the 25th Infantry Regiment and Phuket’s highest ranking army official.

Gen Santi also confirmed that tomorrow (Mar 4) Karon Beach will see the return of the sun loungers.

Phuket Governor Chockchai Dejamornthan told The Phuket News on Wednesday (Mar 1) that sun loungers would be allowed back on Kata Beach today and later will be allowed back onto all nine Phuket beaches with “10% vendor zones.

However, as with Patong, where sun loungers were allowed to return to the sand on Monday (Feb 27), the loungers must remain inside the 10% zones, Gov Chockchai warned.

A large group of tourists looked on in surprise earlier today as the sun loungers were set out in two lines at Kata Beach.

Karon Mayor Thawee Thongcham was in attendance, however, he remained silent as Gen Santi and his team of officers from the 41st Military Circle of the Army Region 4 base in Nakhon Sri Thammarat, along with beach vendor representatives and Karon Municipality officials, inspected the area.

Speaking to The Phuket News during the inspection, Gen Santi said, “I have told Karon Municipality that the sun loungers must always be set out like this, there must be no change, and I will come back in one month to assess the situation.

“Today I have overseen the sun loungers being placed at Kata Beach, and the next place they will appear is Karon Beach,” he said.

“We will then have to see how the situation is,” he added.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/slowly-phuket-beaches-see-return-of-sun-loungers-61245.php#Bhw1KrJ54Gb8qkCq.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-3-3

4 hours ago, helloagain said:

Can anybody please tell me what a 10% zone is. From high or low tide to the back of the beach. Or from left to right end of the beach. We all know they will not stick to it. 

Supposedly 10% of the total area of the beach, which I assume is 10% of the length of the beach.

You're probably correct in your statement that they won't stick to it. I'm pretty sure that the total vendor area at Patong Beach has been well over 10% since the 10% rule first came into effect some time ago. If you add in the areas that are reserved exclusively for use by the jetski and parasail operators, then the total area where business is conducted is probably more like 30%. 

I saw a truck load of loungers headed towards Nai Harn last evening. I hope they keep them confined to the one area. Before they were down to the low tide mark, you could hardly walk along the beach! I was never in favor of vendors taking over public beaches, I still am not!

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Not a bad looking blonde in that photo.

You guys in Phuket have it easy, all we have in Hua Hin is seriously over weight 70 year old women in bikinis. :wacko:

Hope you not playing there then, we do not want another heart attack. Last time I was there good looking girls, but I did bring them with me