7 year itch

superal

I have known a few guys who seem to develop the 7 year itch in Thailand which leads to them moving on  to other countries . Reasons include corruption , no freedom of speech/ censorship , crime rates , driving behaviour , cost of living, pricing  discrimination , Thai laws , house / land ownership , marriage breakups , medical care and visa issues .  Of course none of these are insurmountable but do become too much for some . I suppose there is the honeymoon period of a couple of years or so until the novelty wears off and normality sets in but I for one am happy to be in a country that has some catching up to do . A visit to the UK leaves me wanting to be out of there a.s.a.p. after 2 or 3 days  and I count the days to my return to Thailand .  

Are you a stayer or a leaver ?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, superal said:

Reasons include corruption , no freedom of speech/ censorship , crime rates , driving behaviour , cost of living, pricing  discrimination , Thai laws , house / land ownership , marriage breakups , medical care and visa issues .

Sounds you have a perspective of Beirut Lebanon not Thailand,  of none of the above happens in the UK of course.

Try travelling all over Thailand not just main areas.

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Sounds you have a perspective of Beirut Lebanon not Thailand,  of none of the above happens in the UK of course.

I have over the last 14 years,  all bar the far south , now live in a non tourist town , north east and what I stated refers to all of Thailand 

The reason some move on I think is because they cannot "unlearn" and learn a new way of doing things and the language barrier doesnt help either.

They live their life to certain rules/habits etc for 50 years then come here and try to change things to as close to what they are used to as possible and it just doesnt work that way and many cannot/wont adjust.(long term).

1 hour ago, superal said:

I have known a few guys who seem to develop the 7 year itch in Thailand which leads to them moving on  to other countries . Reasons include corruption , no freedom of speech/ censorship , crime rates , driving behaviour , cost of living, pricing  discrimination , Thai laws , house / land ownership , marriage breakups , medical care and visa issues .

Like to give us an idea where these dissatisfied ex-pats move to superal---because reading the forum the first choice seems to be either Philippines or Cambodia.... yes they wont find any corruption / censorship/ house / land ownership  or crime problems in those fair countries............:coffee1:

You do realise how mad it looks when you write to forum to voice an opinion ---that your not allowed to voice any an opinions because there no freedom of speech/ and they have censorship.

I am afraid that everything you say or write through a medium link can be picked up . For that reason the forums editor has to protect his and the companies interest and not attract the attention of the powers that be who could shut him down .

The guys who left went to Spain , England & Australia though the latter was a case of securing an education for his daughter . Others have returned to the UK because they were short of funds having been fleeced knowing that they would be taken care of in the UK by the benefit system 

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

The reason some move on I think is because they cannot "unlearn" and learn a new way of doing things and the language barrier doesnt help either.

They live their life to certain rules/habits etc for 50 years then come here and try to change things to as close to what they are used to as possible and it just doesnt work that way and many cannot/wont adjust.(long term).

i agree you have to be relaxed open minded and above all jai yen yen. although im not all the time:smile:been here 17 years and love the life i have here.

Edited by catman20

Thailand use to be a good second home if you were a contractor working in the region.  It is not anymore.  Unless employment was really fulfilling, could not imagine being planted or based in Thailand.  Found it wonderful for a few months at a time.  Leaver.

4 hours ago, superal said:

Reasons include corruption , no freedom of speech/ censorship , crime rates , driving behaviour , cost of living, pricing  discrimination , Thai laws , house / land ownership , marriage breakups , medical care and visa issues .  Of course none of these are insurmountable

Of course many of these issue largely exist only between the ears of people who never adjusted to living so far away from their mothers. Insofar as they exist at all, they exist everywhere in the world ... although it does seem the incessant childish whining about them is at a higher pitch than most other places.

I imagine most intelligent people manage to get by with no visa issues, find very good medical care, can manage a relationship, knew about restrictions on land ownership before they settled here, can't seriously be bothered about the few places where dual pricing exists, have no problems with Thai laws, and whatever the other things are that you were throwing a tantrum about. 

Stay or move on. Don't turn it into a whole dramatic production.

Since there really is no point in asking about a 7 year itch ... obviously some people stay on and some people move on ...it would seem your only objective is to join the chorus of Thai bashers. 

Here's a website that may help.

tantrum.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

It's taken me 10 years of being here but I'm bugging out very soon.   The place has just kinda ground me down.  I'm going to call it taking a holiday from Thailand.  I speak pretty much fluent Thai now and am pretty good with the Isaan variant as well.  No problems in that area.  I had avoided all encumbrances while here and my fortune (kept outside of Thailand) has only grown.   As I can't own land and am not inclined to give my heart away I have found it difficult to put down any roots.  I will indeed miss my many friends.

I'm going back to me own country but not sure if I can live there anymore either.  I'll take some time and see where my nose leads me.

2 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

Like to give us an idea where these dissatisfied ex-pats move to superal---because reading the forum the first choice seems to be either Philippines or Cambodia.... yes they wont find any corruption / censorship/ house / land ownership  or crime problems in those fair countries............:coffee1:

You do realise how mad it looks when you write to forum to voice an opinion ---that your not allowed to voice any an opinions because there no freedom of speech/ and they have censorship.

Do you like girls watching tv-soaps? Than stay in Thailand.

These girls are different.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cambodia-village

50 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Of course many of these issue largely exist only between the ears of people who never adjusted to living so far away from their mothers. Insofar as they exist at all, they exist everywhere in the world ... although it does seem the incessant childish whining about them is at a higher pitch than most other places.

I imagine most intelligent people manage to get by with no visa issues, find very good medical care, can manage a relationship, knew about restrictions on land ownership before they settled here, can't seriously be bothered about the few places where dual pricing exists, have no problems with Thai laws, and whatever the other things are that you were throwing a tantrum about. 

Since there really is no point in asking about a 7 year itch ... obviously some people stay on and some people move on ...it would seem your only objective is to join the chorus of Thai bashers. 

tantrum.jpg

You need to read my post again because it was not about Thai bashing , merely stating the facts and reasons for people moving on . From your reply it sounds that you have a chip on your shoulder and have been hurt in the past ,  probably because of your inappropriate posts . 

3 hours ago, superal said:

I am afraid that everything you say or write through a medium link can be picked up . For that reason the forums editor has to protect his and the companies interest and not attract the attention of the powers that be who could shut him down .

The guys who left went to Spain , England & Australia though the latter was a case of securing an education for his daughter . Others have returned to the UK because they were short of funds having been fleeced knowing that they would be taken care of in the UK by the benefit system 

In your last sentence, do you mean guys between the ages of forty and fifty, the guys up to fifty probably leave because Thailand makes it hard for most of them to live here long term because of all the visa hassle they get, which is Thailands loss, the guys 65 and over who have worked and qualified for the UK state pension which is not a benefit, but an entitlement. But they get that in Thailand as well, only they do not get the annual pension increases which is stolen from them by the UK government, and along with the pound against the Baht, many of them are forced to return so they will then get their full state pensions.

Edited by possum1931

Six years and counting. Ended first long term relationship and currently re-evaluating but i do not anticipate abandoning thailand at this point. For me it is boiling down to trying to stay a detached single (difficult as I am an incurable romantic) or looking for that ideal little Thai girl to care for each other (yes, I know dream away). In the meantime, some travel and saving some money! 

9 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

Coming up on third 7 year itch then and have no interest in leaving. In fact leave for what? Birth country is going to the dogs nothing there for me.

That's definitely the UK you are referring to.

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

i agree you have to be relaxed open minded and above all jai yen yen. although im not all the time:smile:been here 17 years and love the life i have here.

That's the key... love the life I have here.

You have a life.

That is something so many TV members seem to be lacking.

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

tantrum.jpg

This is a really good post and so true. The writer understands Thailand well.

4 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

I have never liked staying in one place for any length of time. I was a service-brat growing up, so not longer than two or three years in the same place. When I was older, I worked international contracts and circumstances, like different job locations, caused me to move every two or three years. I once lived for ten years in one place in the States so that my son could go to school; I once lived in the same house in Iran for five years, and now I have lived nine years in Thailand at the same place-- the last three years mostly because my grandson is here.  It's time to move on.  

Thailand is great place to be if you have the finance to support it. With the falling value of the £ at 41.x baht many on Pensions are now feeling the pinch with a 20% reduction over the last year and Thailand is no place to be without financial support and ceases to be "fun", as a minor spill on a motorcycle or other accident/illness can wipe you out financially.

Many factors contribute to "the decision"  and its to each his own as t the "real" reason they are leaving.

4 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I have never liked staying in one place for any length of time. I was a service-brat growing up, so not longer than two or three years in the same place. When I was older, I worked international contracts and circumstances, like different job locations, caused me to move every two or three years.

I agree with you smotherb..... I have also had the itch.... not because anything is wrong with Thailand...(I mean in the Asian sense) but just got the itch.....been here 18 years....the first were easy because no retirement visa so you had to head for the border every 12 weeks, lived in Pattaya then, some guys took the same day van--done the U turn, I use to take a week -10 days looking around different places...Cambodia was a mess then, they have done well to bring up to the standard it is now. PI was fun as you could converse with just about anyone, but other than that----Mmm Naa....... Vietnam, was still quite strict re its girls--(I was back in Hanoi about 6 months ago. ) really enjoyed, its changed a lot.  Laos....well I live on the border of it now, the beer is wonderful---the girls are very nice looking---but I would be bored living in the capital....so how would I go anywhere else. Malaysia has some-things going for it, & I had some good times there.

I have put roots down now in Thailand & @ 70+ just don't seem to have the energy to plan a move--even if I found somewhere else.

I don't doubt people are leaving --but instead of the list provided I would say it is 90% Financial.......................:coffee1: