Making My Own Sausages In Thailand

scott1999

got fed up with the sausages that i found over here ,

i make my own sausages in england for our guest house ,

so i brought my own machine with me this time ,

i buy best pork , grind it myself , and add the flavoring ,

do you think i would be braking any laws if we tryed to sell them , ie food hygene ,?

ps it would be my wife and kids selling them as i know i cannot be in business in thailand .

Edited by bronco
typo

do you think i would be braking any laws if we tryed to sell them , ie food hygene ,?

ps it would be my wife and kids selling them as i know i cannot be in business in thailand .

There is an American man / Thai wife living in Nong Khai who smokes Hams and makes bacon for the past 4+ years... They / she sells them to the hotels and some restaurants around that area as well as to those of us Ex pat's who know about them... He has now started making both Breakfast Sausages and Italian Sausages... Excellent Products, and he said that he has never had any problems with anyone in Thailand requesting any kind of inspection or liceincing....

Pianoman

There is an American man / Thai wife living in Nong Khai who smokes Hams and makes bacon for the past 4+ years... They / she sells them to the hotels and some restaurants around that area as well as to those of us Ex pat's who know about them... He has now started making both Breakfast Sausages and Italian Sausages... Excellent Products, and he said that he has never had any problems with anyone in Thailand requesting any kind of inspection or liceincing....

Pianoman

Those Yanks Will Smoke anything to get a high.. :o

Great idea!

Depends on your target market though, Bangkok or Pattaya you might be able to make it a full time endeavor if you get up to Chiangmai, part time at best, not as much demand.

I have been making homemade sausage for a few years now for personal consumption and as give away gifts to teachers at my kids school. Normally do a batch every 3-4 months.

A problem I have is getting the correct size casing, in Chiangmai where the Chiangmai sausage is popular you get the large intestine which is around 38-50mm in diameter which is a little large for a breakfast susage, and takes forever to cook.

Didn't have a machine to stuff so I am using a contraption made out of PVC pipe and a wood plunger.

Now I am exploring recipes for Pepperoni and might give it a go this spring.

The casings we get in the market (C Rai town ) are lamb casings. They make a perfectly sized sausage and can be kept frozen a long time. The trick to get a nice sheen on the finished article is to soak them a while in water with a dash of vinegar.

I would like to get casings for chipolatas, haven't succeeded yet :o

anyone know of any good websites that feature standard type sausage recipies? Are the necessary spices available in Thailand? I made some sauages once a few years ago using the spices that I had (not much). They were basic but tasty.

anything is better than the 'sausage' offering at tescos. The sausage counter at the Suphan tescos is staffed by cute young girls and they often beckon to me to come and inspect their wares. I pretend to vomit and it provokes gales of laughter...

anyone know of any good websites that feature standard type sausage recipies? Are the necessary spices available in Thailand? I made some sauages once a few years ago using the spices that I had (not much). They were basic but tasty.

After reading this topic I realized I missed a good spicy sausage and went looking. Found this site and saved a few recipes (the ones where the ingrediants I know I can get here). Just type in what you want at the top search bar. The name is misleading in that it is not Australia specific.

http://www.fooddownunder.com/

After reading this topic I realized I missed a good spicy sausage and went looking. Found this site and saved a few recipes (the ones where the ingrediants I know I can get here). Just type in what you want at the top search bar. The name is misleading in that it is not Australia specific.

http://www.fooddownunder.com/

Tywais,

Coming from the states, I always liked Jimmy Dean spicey sausage.

Here is the recipe, taste's identical:

Ingredients:

10 lbs. ground pork (high fat content)

8 Tbsp. Salt

1 Tbsp. White pepper

2 Tbsp. Rubbed sage (optional)

1 tsp. Powdered ginger

1 Tbsp. Nutmeg

1 Tbsp. Cayenne pepper

1 Tbsp. Black pepper

Process:

Grind pork through fine seive, and add 1 cup ice water, seasonings

and mix well. Stuff into sleeve, or make into patties.

If you like HOT, add red pepper to taste.

To save a step, just buy the ground pork available anywhere, it has enough fat. All the spices are available at Rim Ping or Carrefour.

Tywais,

Coming from the states, I always liked Jimmy Dean spicey sausage.

That's great Diablo Bob, that's the brand I always liked too and was searching the net trying to find the recipe. The ones I usually got seemed to have little pieces of red pepper like you mentioned. Do like it spicey myself. Thanks for that, got some shopping to do now. :o

Here's 3 types of Jimmy Deans as well as my personal favorite...Waffle House

Jimmy Dean's (3 types)

Sage

16 ounces ground pork

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/4 teaspoon coriander

1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent flavor enhancer)

Hot

16 ounces ground pork

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/4 teaspoon coriander

1/4 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)

Maple

16 ounces ground pork

3 tablespoons maple flavored syrup

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon MSG (such as Accent)

1/4 teaspoon coriander Combine all ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a medium bowl. Form the sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown. Makes 1 pound of sausage.

Waffle House Sausage

2 lbs. ground pork

1 Tbls. brown sugar

2 tsp. dried sage

2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. pepper

1/4 tsp. dried marjoram

1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

1 pinch ground cloves

-Combine all ingredients by hand in a bowl.

-Form mixture into 1/4" thick patties.

-Brown patties in a large skillet over medium high heat for 5 minutes on each side.

Edited by Buckwheat

Very nice and thanks Buckwheat. I've noticed several recipes for sausage calling for Marjoram, is that the same as Oregano? Don't know the availability of it but oregano is no problem.

Been making my own for a while, simple UK style bangers.

4.5kg pig, 50/50 belly and butt, coarse minced (3/8" hole). If I'm lazy I get minced pork from Tesco.

100-150g black pepper, coarse ground (adjust to taste by frying off a bit of your mix and tasting)

50g salt

1 garlic bulb (6-8 cloves, mashed)

Pig small intestine for casings (again from Tesco or the market, whoever has them)

250g breadcrumbs

Mix all the ingredients (except the casings), stuff.

The missus prepares the casings, lots of soaking, washing and salt, including putting it on the tap to loads of giggling (remember John Holmes?).

We got a hand crank (Mr Wimpy style) machine from Chinatown, 800Baht including the sausage stuffing funnel.

It's actually difficult to get sausages wrong, all our experiments have been more than edible :o

Very nice and thanks Buckwheat. I've noticed several recipes for sausage calling for Marjoram, is that the same as Oregano? Don't know the availability of it but oregano is no problem.

marjoram is NOT the same as oregano but they combine well for pasta sauces and other dishes. Don't attempt to substitute one for the other...

To save a step, just buy the ground pork available anywhere, it has enough fat.

I agree...any small market butcher section has loads of the stuff for much cheaper than you could buy at a supermarket...give yer grinder a break...unless your're looking at a specific recipie that requires a specific cut of meat like pork shoulder, etc...

Pianoman

:o

I had a friend, an American expat, whose Thai girlfriend made a spicy beef jerky in Pattaya for many years. She used Thai spices and had 3 or 4 women helping her. Enentually she started selling it in the local stores in the Pattaya area. Everything was great, until it started becoming popular. Then local police suddenly found "health" laws that made it "illegal" to sell the product without a license. Of course, the local police were happy to provide the "license" for a small kickback on the profits of the business. Much of the problem seemed to be that they found out her Farang boyfriend was the backer, and they wanted a cut of the profits. It was made absolutely clear to her (in Thai) that the license could be provided only if she agreed to the kickback. Otherwise it was an occupation prohibited to Farangs. The fact that SHE owned the business and employed 3 or 4 Thais to do the work was unimportant. The fact that her Farang boyfriend had originally supplied the money to start the business made it a Farang business.

Just an example for you to remember.

:D

Pianoman

:o

I had a friend, an American expat, whose Thai girlfriend made a spicy beef jerky in Pattaya for many years. She used Thai spices and had 3 or 4 women helping her. Enentually she started selling it in the local stores in the Pattaya area. Everything was great, until it started becoming popular. Then local police suddenly found "health" laws that made it "illegal" to sell the product without a license. Of course, the local police were happy to provide the "license" for a small kickback on the profits of the business. Much of the problem seemed to be that they found out her Farang boyfriend was the backer, and they wanted a cut of the profits. It was made absolutely clear to her (in Thai) that the license could be provided only if she agreed to the kickback. Otherwise it was an occupation prohibited to Farangs. The fact that SHE owned the business and employed 3 or 4 Thais to do the work was unimportant. The fact that her Farang boyfriend had originally supplied the money to start the business made it a Farang business.

Just an example for you to remember.

:D

this is bizarre...how is it that some flat foot BiB is able to make an extrajudicial decision about what is legal in this case? Falangs avoid these hassles when there is a traffic fine involved but is there no legal recourse when a business/livelyhood is at stake? Or can we presume that Thai judges are just as corrupt and that no recourse is available?

Useta be that when a falang gave money to his wife to buy property he/she had to sign a document to state that the falang would never have a legal claim later on. Is this a similar case when a business is involved?

sheesh...and thai food stinks as well...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

thank you everyone for your posts,

just got back from cha am , for the weekend , by the way cha am looking better , more couples and familys

had a nice time , before we left , we went on the beach and cooked the said sausages , my wifes family could not belive , that we could make our own sauages , the look on there faces , was fun to see.

anyway re, all the posts , if i can help in any way please pm me , i do have a 5 pound machine , easy to use anyone can do it , skins , if a problem can order from england , now resk , can be subtituted by grinding bread up , add flavoring , re peppers , and bingo , just remember , a sausages needs water in the mix ,

plus fatty meat , for the cooking,

• 3 months later...

Pianoman

Those Yanks Will Smoke anything to get a high.. :o

And all the time i thought it was cigars !

LBD

There is a guy in Phuket making sausage and pies.

Check at Michael's bar in phuket town, they order

from him.

I believe his (wife's) shop is in Patong on the back road somewhere.

Jan at Valhalla has thier own made sausage and IIRC bacon..

Pepper, chilli, curry etc.. None really a breakfast sausage tho..

Cant remember the guys name who supplies the Offshore on Nanai.. Those are great breakfast sausage..

LBD

There is a guy in Phuket making sausage and pies.

Check at Michael's bar in phuket town, they order

from him.

I believe his (wife's) shop is in Patong on the back road somewhere.

Jan at Valhalla has thier own made sausage and IIRC bacon..

Pepper, chilli, curry etc.. None really a breakfast sausage tho..

Cant remember the guys name who supplies the Offshore on Nanai.. Those are great breakfast sausage..

JR Texas: Just a short note........there are strict laws in Thailand (especially for farangs) with regard to producing food items to be sold to others. Personal consumption is fine..........even when Thais produce sausage for sale to others....no problem. BUT, when a farang starts producing food items for sale to the public.......watch out......you must do it according to a specific set of rules or you will get in serious trouble with the law.