Thai editorial: The modern monk and the lure of money

webfact

The modern monk and the lure of money
By The Nation

If the Sangha Supreme Council can’t divert monks from material greed, civil law will have to be imposed

BANGKOK: -- Thai Buddhist monks are not allowed to accumulate personal wealth for the straightforward reason that it undermines the path to nirvana as strictly identified in Theravada tradition.

However, far too many monks nowadays seem to regard the rule as a mere suggestion. In a survey conducted by Chulalongkorn University’s Centre for Buddhism Studies, most monks said they amassed money and some even used credit and debit cards.

The practice of accumulating wealth even after ordination has been blamed for several problems involving monks at the moment. These include the controversy surrounding Phra Dhammachayo, former abbot of the Dhammakaya Temple, who is being hunted on suspicion of laundering massive amounts of money and accepting stolen assets.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/today_editorial/30308372

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-09

Material greed, that is the reason most monks these days become monks.

Money money money, no other reason.

I know a thai man, who became a monk, when i asked him why, his answer was, i can make more money   being a monk than i can working. I have no bills, i get fed life is easy.

Why say modern monks have gone of the rails ?  Almost since civilisation began there were sacrifices, promises of going to heaven, promises that you could have a houseful of virgins , promises is you will come back a better person and what you give now will come back to you in another life.   All this poppycock has always and will always have the same motive - taking money from the people  and building up immense wealth for these sects, religions or other imaginative ideals.  To this very day the philosophy of exploiting the people for the benefit of the very few is still ongoing, 7th Day Adventists and the church of Scientologists being a prime recent example.

So why they say modern Monks I am unsure because since  ever the fantasy world of all these religions started it has always been the main aim. It is just that in Thailand many of the monks, prior to escaping into the Monkhood, were possibly crooks and criminals who understood exactly how to extort , manipulate and launder so hence their skills in the Monkhood are virtually unassailable as the case in question and the crooked Monk (forgot his name)  who was photo'd with his bent pals on a private jet, who has set up his scam in California.

The shame of all this I am sure that there are a handful of decent people around the world, who wish to undertake a selfless life style without harming people, helping people where they can, having sensible discussions on there way of life, not putting forward preposterous reasons for giving them money and have no wish to accumulate anything other than peace of mind to know that they did their best to help others.   Problem is trying to find them. IMHO the nearest in my lifetime is possibly Mother Theresa ( Saint Theresa ). And no,  certainly I do not entertain Catholics, and no way did I think miracles happen, only in the minds of those she helped perhaps, but the majority of priests appear to be no more than kiddy fiddlers, but that lady I feel would have helped people irrespective.

been saying for months - the Dhammachayo debacle is all about money just like every other civil unrest event in this country, all fighting over their share of the corruption pie

As for temples and monks - they all need to come under strict financial regulation and answer to civil law, you cannot have an organisation managing huge sums of money going unregulated, pretty soon it develops into all sorts of other criminal illegal activity including laundering

Who is using these laundering facilities - well pretty much anyone who needs to move large amounts of illegal money - politicians - police - government officials - drug dealers - mafia and all the rest

It needs to stop

1 minute ago, smedly said:

been saying for months - the Dhammachayo debacle is all about money just like every other civil unrest event in this country, all fighting over their share of the corruption pie

As for temples and monks - they all need to come under strict financial regulation and answer to civil law, you cannot have an organisation managing huge sums of money going unregulated, pretty soon it develops into all sorts of other criminal illegal activity including laundering

Who is using these laundering facilities - well pretty much anyone who needs to move large amounts of illegal money - politicians - police - government officials - drug dealers - mafia and all the rest

It needs to stop

I agree but civil law here is still bought by those with money so that would still not work until the total Thai administration is wiped clean of corruption from the very top down.  That will not happen anytime soon.

Whether they take money or not, being a monk is all about the self, achieving enlightenment (nirvana) for the self etc. As are, ultimately, all the religions... potentially getting the best deal for the self after death (if you buy into that). It's all bs. But a big reason I see for monks for not having cash is taxation. They ain't paying their fair share. Free digs, free food and no paying into the system. C'mon!!

Edited by daveAustin

It's a sad state of affairs across the country, when even those who are supposed to be above money, are busy hoarding as much of it as they can.

One feels the whole country needs to look around them and try to find the right road to be on once more.

When 95% of people in Thailand are Buddhist it's a shame that none of them really knows what being a Buddhist means.

You cannot follow the path to enlightenment if you don't give up material wealth and stop striving for material possessions.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

If the Sangha Supreme Council can’t divert monks from material greed, civil law will have to be imposed

Another reason for a secular government.

Moral and ethical Buddhist monk behavior is an issue for the SSC and criminal behavior is an issue for the government. For example, as long as a monk accumulates wealth honestly without committing a crime under Thai criminal penal Code, it should be of no concern to the government.

Both the Interim and the 2016 draft Constitutions do not designate Buddhism as a State religion. So monk material greed should be irrelevant to the State so long as gain was legal under civil law. Such an approach puts all religions in Thailand on equal treatment by the State, irrespective to each religion's rules and practices related to the moral and ethical conduct of their practitioners.

13 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Moral and ethical Buddhist monk behavior is an issue for the SSC and criminal behavior is an issue for the government. For example, as long as a monk accumulates wealth honestly without committing a crime under Thai criminal penal Code, it should be of no concern to the government.

Both the Interim and the 2016 draft Constitutions do not designate Buddhism as a State religion. So monk material greed should be irrelevant to the State so long as gain was legal under civil law. Such an approach puts all religions in Thailand on equal treatment by the State, irrespective to each religion's rules and practices related to the moral and ethical conduct of their practitioners.

what part of "completely unregulated" don't you understand

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

Monks seem to take a lot of money from the Village poor when someone dies.They seem to dip into Village Insurance with relish .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

For weddings, house blessings, funerals they always get paid. Is there anything they do for free?

And if they don't get paid they get at least fed.

38 minutes ago, fruitman said:

For weddings, house blessings, funerals they always get paid. Is there anything they do for free?

And if they don't get paid they get at least fed.

My first encounter with 'village Buddhism' (as I know call it) was when I first visited my wife's village 4 years ago. That visit coincided with the first anniversary of her late brother's death.

It was explained to me that the spirit of the departed stay around their village for a year and need to be kept happy and content with at least 3 ceremonies and the inevitable party that follows.

I defy anyone to find a reference to this belief in Buddhist teachings anywhere. I suspect it originates from ancient beliefs found in animism and/or ancestral worship.

But the monks are there, happy to exploit this belief and profit from it of course. Even to condoning a drunken party in the temple grounds following the 'formal' rituals. Did I not read somewhere that Buddhist teachings strongly discourages intoxication? Here however it is, shamelessly exploited!

I find it a little amusing that whenever I encounter the Abbot when I visit the village, he gives me a very suspicious 'your on to me' kind of look. I shamelessly return that look in kind! He certainly does not  get a wai from me!

And, as fruiitman pointed out above, the list of their money grabbing ways holds no bounds. I could list many but I'm sure most of us are aware of them.

Buddhism, in this country has little to do with the teachings of the Buddha. In my view it does little more than hoodwink the poor and ignorant out what little they possess. It's a shameless travesty.

Edited by Moonlover
Spelling correction

Organized religion is and has been riddled with hypocrisy and BS everywhere throughout history. It's amazing so many people still feel reflexive respect for 'holy people' rather than reflexive suspicion. Symbolism is more powerful than facts I guess. 

1 hour ago, dcpo said:

Organized religion is and has been riddled with hypocrisy and BS everywhere throughout history. It's amazing so many people still feel reflexive respect for 'holy people' rather than reflexive suspicion. Symbolism is more powerful than facts I guess. 

And who is going to be the first to forward that hackneyed and discredited phrase, 'Buddhism is not a religion, it is a philosophy'?

Whatever, its a major part of the Thai economy, in a rural area especially. All that money being spent promoting consumerism, waste and I'm sure the monks go out and spend their cash in the area. I've learned to live with it, it seems to me to provide continuity and help keep a bit of lid on some other social problems (for want of better words). Don't get me wrong I avoid donating any of my funds

3 hours ago, mike324 said:

Part of the problem is also the Thai mentality of making more merit so you will have better karma. Most make merit by donating money to temples instead of volunteer work that help citizens directly.

From my perspective of living in a number of countries that endure a strong religious influence, I've come to the conclusion that mentality and religion are very much intertwined. The one seems to determine the nature of the other.

But which has the stronger influence is rather hard to determine. It's that imponderable 'chicken and egg' scenario.

"... it undermines the path to nirvana..."

This isn't your grandfather's Buddhism.

Why should those involved care, when they can ride along that path in a Rolls Royce? 

After all, they must have lived a honorable past life for them to be reincarnated into an existence of riches and unlimited ways to satisfy their lust of the flesh. 

Edited by jaltsc

When any religion comes up with a plan that involves the cleansing of 'sins' by the payment of money, there will be trouble. Add to that a lack of any accounting and the thought that any investigation is an accusation then even a slightly crooked person can see that a lot of wealth can be acquired without too much effort.

It seems that some have taken this to extremes and have created a wealth making industry without any significant controls. And we all saw what happened worldwide in 2008 when one of these, largely unregulated industries, blew up and left a huge amount of damage to many countries. Mind you, we didn't learn from that as the perps are still around and still on the same gravy train.

9 hours ago, Srikcir said:

But how does a monk accumulate WEALTH honestly?  Is he running a business at the same time as being effectively supported by ordinary people, many of whom donate goods and money despite being extremely poor?

12 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

I agree but civil law here is still bought by those with money so that would still not work until the total Thai administration is wiped clean of corruption from the very top down.  That will not happen anytime soon.

In essence I agree.

Further, IMHO, until we see a totally new breed of highly and obviously very capable policicians with proven credibility, highly insightful, honest and sincere politicians with well displayed actions and rhetoric displaying high values and morals then I sadly confirm to agree with the last part of your comment:  ".... it will not happen anytime soon", or perhaps ever!

It seems to me that there needs to be multi-faceted major structural change (especially the police and education) as a major factor in totally sidelining the old breed of ruthless and dishonest politicians and they are made absolutely and totally irrelevant and are scorned and subject to serious social blackout and serious real punishment, and until that happens nothing much will change.  

How sad. Especially sad for the Thai folks who deserve better, and who by now should have a much better quality of life, better & fair justice, better education and more balanced opportunity.

Bring on the new breed as fast as possible please...

Edited by scorecard