CNX Airport Expansion Plans - Serious Stuff: Ignore At Your Peril!

Greenside

err not neccessarily.  Fire Aim Ready is a business management or learning style (especially for children) that has been round for at least a decade.  With the context of the post.  Fire (start complaining about Airport noise and frequency or escalation of flights), Aim (Someone points out that where you decided to live is in an established flight route, near and airport, of an increasingly pupular destiination). Ready...(you are now fully aware of the facts and should understand the ramifications of your choice to reside where you reside)....a sort of "Action Learning" "Learning by doing" rather than Ready Aim Fire.

Off topic but the  IA (Immediate action) drill for rifles I remember the most was when the Instructor would yell out "Weapon fires, Weapon stops, Carry out the IAs" .  To which the response and action by all was "cock, lock look"....as in cock the rifle, lock the rifle and look.  The instructor would then yell out the fault to be tested.  If he yelled out "torn extraction", the response was "mag off, pack off piss off".  :smile:

Decency prevents me from response to "fix bayonets" instruction.

aren't you becoming a prolific contributor. you seem to know a lot considering canada does not have a real military

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that even though the figures seem, shall we say optimistic, expansion on the scale envisaged is a one way street.  Much of the damage will be done regardless of whether the targets are met although the flow of cheap flights from China shows no sign of slowing so who knows.

To other posters:

• Read the Citylife article before commenting as many of the points raised are covered there.  Yes, the plans were unveiled last year but they've been through some kind of ratification process and are now back on the table looking a step nearer happening.  That's what makes this worth taking seriously.
  • Sure, the airport pre-dates all of us (although KKK will probably claim to have been here first) but it's recently turned from a real convenience to a potential nightmare in my view.  Yes, great to have arriving friends call when they reach the baggage claim and be able to pull up just as they exit the terminal, but a move towards 300% more aircraft movements?  No thanks, I'd sooner have a 30 minute cab ride or better still a rail link (so would the cab drivers, I expect).
  • An expanded airport needs to cater for more than the next phase and take into account supporting infrastructure to deal with all those extra people.  Spending the money to enlarge a facility in the centre of town is short sighted in the extreme and will diminish the quality of life for huge numbers of people.
  • To those who point out the jobs that a bigger airport will bring.... It will bring them wherever it is situated and it could just be that a less urban area could use the employment prospects more than the city dwellers. 

Please try to keep this on topic.  Who in the world cares about the order of Ready Aim Fire, particularly given the inane post that introduced it.

Edited by Greenside
Lousy proofreading

I hope they build the car park first. The parking lot is ridiculously overcrowded now, I nearly missed flights a couple times due to lack of parking. I don't drive to the airport anymore just to avoid the stress of hunting for parking.

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

Please try to keep this on topic

come on cobber, you are carrying on a topic,which is out of oxygen, hence the diversion

E/S could nt give a fluff of your O/P, CNX airport, is what it is

you have made your bed, now lay in it ,

whinging and moaning  helps no cause at all,what ever it is

move on , and  adjust  to the changes at CNX  airport  (good or bad) , and  you will be a  far happier soul.

its a  Imagine, John Lennon , good evening to all

8 hours ago, hobz said:

Only one year ago a new airport was proposed in Lamphun, what happened with that? 

Source:

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/new-international-airport-built-lamphun/

Another was reported near Lei and that goes back 10 years. No opposition to the airport expansion in CM, but they seriously need to fix the parking and access, it is already double parked at almost every bay as it is.

15 hours ago, hobz said:

Last year someone from AOT mentioned that there was a possibility to start operating 24 hours. Is that now scrapped or?

That's the thing: if you increase capacity then there is less need for operations in the middle of the night, because you get to accommodate all airlines at sane hours.  It's a good thing to expand.   And you'll be happy to note that Air Asia already was able to move their two crazy hour flights back to normal hours in the evening.

11 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Many planes make a turn as they ascend over highways 1001 and 118 about between the two ring roads. It doesn't rattle your fillings but it's worse now than it was just three years ago. 

Right so it may make sense to update flight paths to keep the runway heading for a lot longer climbing out, before turning completely around Chiang Mai.  That's not difficult to do and would be a good point to make.

11 hours ago, Loaded said:

20 million passengers a year, or 55,000 per day. What drugs are these people on?

It handles 9 million passengers now. Also 55K per day is both arriving and departing. So about 27K arriving per day.  18 hours operation per day, 17 landings per hour means less than 100 people per flight.  Why does any of this require drugs more than a calculator and common sense?

9 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Let's hope this is a smoke screen designed to promote a new airport in Sangkampang or Lampun.

I'm worried about that too.  I really prefer the airport near town and not something horrible like Phuket.  It's city people using an airport, not rural people.  So let city people deal with the joys as well as the downsides of it. 

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I hope they don't waste any money on a parking lot for all the millions of people who will be taking of and landing or the people who are dropping off and picking up.  Parking lots don't make anyone any money so why plan for adequate parking if you don't have to?

27 minutes ago, kast said:

I hope they don't waste any money on a parking lot for all the millions of people who will be taking of and landing or the people who are dropping off and picking up.  Parking lots don't make anyone any money so why plan for adequate parking if you don't have to?

They don't make money in Chiang Mai because they typically charge 10-20 Baht for a typical airport pick-up. Other airports in the world most definitely make a metric crapton of money on parking! :)

Also it's completely required: people are being dropped off or picked up, and people need to park when going to Bangkok for a day.    Most of my Bangkok trips are going there in the morning and then back in the afternoon.  (For mullti day trips it does add up becuase the charge is about 200 Baht per day)

If anything I'd say new parking facilities are more urgent than anything else. (or better use of current facilities, and make rental cars, airport staff and most taxis park further away.)

19 hours ago, hobz said:

Last year someone from AOT mentioned that there was a possibility to start operating 24 hours. Is that now scrapped or?

I believe that the proposal to start 24 hour operations was dropped in the face of significant opposition by those affected, and rightly so.

Just so readers understand, I am not against the expansion of the facilities for air travel serving this area but approving often poorly thought through plans due to apathy or inaction is a really bad idea.  The 24 hour flights business shows that the public is not entirely powerless and although as guests we have little in the way of influence, we can at least do our best to understand the issues and lend our support to those who do.

Edited by Greenside

Due to noise , congestion, pollution and higher DANGER and am in favor of a new international airport built out of town in principle.

I do not think it will ever happen for practical reasons. In reality, as a new airport is the Holy Grail of land speculation and graft for

elites and cronies, and it would be on books already if it was possible. Eventually overcharging, scams corruption and of course the noise and congestion 

tourism will dry up. Pave over paradise and put up a multi-story parking lot.  People will wonder what they came here to see in the first place

and CNX will be already overbuilt to excess capacity. No need for new airport.

Don't worry. 34 flights per hour - sounds like a sales job to try and get approval for the expansion. It will take CNX many many years to reach that level. Meanwhile the expansion means jobs for locals.  

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:11 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Airport has been there 90 years or so.  Provides good paying jobs and pumps billions into the local economy.  You choose to live under a flight path as a foreigner and really think they give a rat turd about what you think?  Fire, aim, ready!

I can tell you that I don't give a rat turd about what you think. I live south-east of the city, only in the last two years have we experienced flight noise overhead. It isn't too bad, only a couple of flights a night that are noticeable, but you should be aware that you don't have to buy a house on an existing flight path to be affected. It's kind of like buying a condo after doing all the research and then having a disco open next door, not your fault but you have to live with it, or move.

6 hours ago, Greenside said:

as guests we have little in the way of influence,

excactly my point, (post 36) as  they will only,  slowly beat you up,   see what comes your way, then deal with it

its a Roxette arvo  to all

Edited by evenstevens

According to Travel Titbits reporter Karnjana Karnjanatawe in todays Life Travel section of the Bangkok Post this expansion of the Airport will not start until an environmental impact assessement takes place and work would begin in 2019. What a load of twaddle, work on the project has been ongoing for the past six months at least as anybody can readily see for themselves if they drive/ride by the southern part of the Airport on Hang Dong road or even better the soi that runs on the west side of the runway. Just another typical example of a Thai reporter talking out of their <deleted>?? Or more than likely since TIT, sod the environmental report, it isn't going to stop what we have already started and plan to finish.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

2 hours ago, idman said:

According to Travel Titbits reporter Karnjana Karnjanatawe in todays Life Travel section of the Bangkok Post this expansion of the Airport will not start until an environmental impact assessement takes place and work would begin in 2019. What a load of twaddle, work on the project has been ongoing for the past six months at least as anybody can readily see for themselves if they drive/ride by the southern part of the Airport on Hang Dong road or even better the soi that runs on the west side of the runway. Just another typical example of a Thai reporter talking out of their <deleted>?? Or more than likely since TIT, sod the environmental report, it isn't going to stop what we have already started and plan to finish.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Would not suprise me if they ignore all the environment issues etc. We know money runs this country and law and order does not apply when big money is involved. And we know this involves big money.

Mafia run country.

The idea that the airport will remain at the present location I feel is a totally retrograde way of planning.CM as we all experience is ,at times,gridlocked by traffic The entry and exit points are amongst the worst,especially around Airport Plaza.Parking at peak times is virtually non existent.Some have suggested multiple high rise parking stations ,more infrastructure costs to a site that will one day be totally outdated.It took 30 years from day of decision to complete the new airport in Bangkok.If they started tomorrow it would be decade to build a new airport at Lampun or wherever.The new airport at Hanoi is 40 km from the city.Sensible,forward thinking.A new airport for CM could be linked with a mono rail and transit road surely that can happen to avoid the inevitable chaos by not planning for growth

20 hours ago, idman said:

No.  You may be confusing regular maintenance and small improvements with a major extension.

I really hope work starts soon, and in the current location.  I don't suppose any of you have looked at the plans, but there are new access roads too.