All smiles as poor trishaw driver,74, returns 100,000 baht to South African cop

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mike324 said:

Help the man set up a bank account and transfer the money monthly..it.easy 

The online transfer fee will probably exceed the gifted amount though, so I hope he finds a way to do It economically.

Good story.

Edited by F4UCorsair

1 hour ago, ttrd said:

Yes indeed - With the provisio that this is not a clever twist to unvoi pay anything at all - future gentlemans promises may tend not to materialize over time especially when the vacation is over, the distance increase and the relation With the gf has come to an end ...

I assume a 74 year old would be old enough to handle a Direct tip of 10%...10.000thb cash in the hand now may be far better than a unsecure possible future monthly payment - after all, he is not only a South African, he is as well a "cop"...;)

Point well made. 

4 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Nice story. Only problem is how this policeman can carry around B 100 k which is approximately R 40 k. That is 2 months or more salary for a normal policeman in South Africa.  My G search of the policemans name also only came up with the TV story nothing else. Maybe I am just too sceptical these days. 

My first thought...

What is anyone doing carrying $3000 USD around in CASH on vacation?  Uhhhh...

No debit cards in SA?  You need a BANK ACCOUNT first.

No travelers cheques?  You need to walk into a bank first.

So we got a guy who doesn't like banks for some strange reason?

what a wonderful story ...hope he can keep up his reward of a monthly allowance....poor people are often poor ( besides economical or family circumstances ) because they are straight honest... a clear  disantvantage in todays economical landscape and the characters involved...in Thailand and almost everywhere on that planet...

32 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

My first thought...

not everybody likes banks the way you do it...maybe many think that banks and their doings makes life worst for humanity ,nature destroyed and wars growing by the minute ( as a result of their money business ) ..( http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4619464 )( http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/04/wars-bankers-wars.html ) ( http://projects.huffingtonpost.com/worldbank-evicted-abandoned/how-worldbank-finances-environmental-destruction-peru ) not everybody is a mafia who loves real money over bs numbers on a screen...also many like their privacy of spending ( hard to believe in a world of fb idiots )...to all the bank lovers / slaves you will be surprised how quick they will  hold back ur hard earned cash when a bank business crisis arises....www.caseyresearch.com/articles/simple-plan-keep-your-assets-safe-out-control-government...anyway good luck with ur bank plastic micky mouse.money

The South-African must have been shocked by the honesty of the Thai man.  In Johannesburg the wallet would have been ripped apart in a few minutes ,  

Edited by balo

14 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Nice story. Only problem is how this policeman can carry around B 100 k which is approximately R 40 k. That is 2 months or more salary for a normal policeman in South Africa.  My G search of the policemans name also only came up with the TV story nothing else. Maybe I am just too sceptical these days. 

Not sceptical...I think stupid would be a more apt description,you read a story on here,and start googling the guy's name...????? Are you special services or something? You must lead a very boring life to concern yourself with it. TIT

When one is getting old then cash is no more important to one.

What one is going to do with it?

A good life in ones twilight years is more important.

And a home where people are glad to see you another day alive and well.

13 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

13 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

My first thought...

You guys are a couple of nice classic negative, cynical TVers and one of the reasons I have many times thought to stop reading TV completely, rather than just reduce the amount I read anymore!
Have you never had a decent amount of money on your person in your life!?  Maybe he was on his way to donate to a temple! Maybe he was on his way to buy a nice gift for his future in-laws. Maybe he was on his way to buy a cheap old used car for his girlfriend. Maybe he was on his way from the money changer to deposit the cash in his bank. Who knows! There could be a million good reasons to have more than a couple hundred bucks on him that day. And what an incredible conclusion! Just because a guy has a few thousand bucks on him it means he doesn't like banks!? hahahaha How do you get along in life??

21 hours ago, DM07 said:

Paying a monthly allowance?

Now that is a reward!

Well done, all involved!

It's easy, the cops told him. Just send the money to them, and they will ensure the old guy gets it. Honest!

19 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Can't comment on the figures quoted but I was thinking the same, that is a lot of cash for an SAP man. (Do they really get approx R20k a month now?) And how much is a flight from SA these days, last time I heard it mentioned it was double the price of a European flight. How much is he thinking of giving monthly, the cost of a transfer must almost equal the value of the gift.

21 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Comes with age. 

21 hours ago, ttrd said:

Yes indeed - With the provisio that this is not a clever twist to unvoi pay anything at all - future gentlemans promises may tend not to materialize over time especially when the vacation is over, the distance increase and the relation With the gf has come to an end ...

I assume a 74 year old would be old enough to handle a Direct tip of 10%...10.000thb cash in the hand now may be far better than a unsecure possible future monthly payment - after all, he is not only a South African, he is as well a "cop"...;)

Oh ye of little faith.............. :whistling:  :cheesy:

I was in konchanaburi about 10 years ago visiting my Thai wife's family. I left 200,000 baht in the room by mistake. The maid ran down and gave it to me. The glass is always half full. Smile and the world smiles back. Have a great weekend everybody xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I forgot my 100k laptop in a restaurant... and the content in it worth even more

Got it back after realising. Thailand is full of hard working, honest, and amazing people. Unfortunately these folks never have any say on what's going on with their country.

Here only the scumbags make it.

This is hard to believe....but, about 20yrs ago my ex-partner was on a buying trip to BKK and dropped her money pouch in the Chatuchak market, it was over $3,000usd, a fair amount at that time. She was really upset because that was 'seed' money for her then, small business. She left her contact details with whoever was listening at the time. Amazingly, a week or so later her pouch was sent to her in Hong Kong, with all the money inside.

Apparently it was turned in by a janitor of the market, they simply said that "he is a Buddhist"....and how many hands did the pouch go through before reaching the post office?...Amazing Thailand!