Toyota Camry, Nissan Teana or Honda Accord?

dagling

We had a little discussion yesterday evening regarding a friend who would buy a new car.
I have no particular knowledge of some of the cars, but I think that Nissan is the prettiest.

Which car would you choose?

The person planning owning the car for 7-8 years.

Toyota seem to use concrete blocks instead of springs and dampers on the new Camry - its a terrible ride. A common Toyota trait with its current range of cars.

I would probably go for the Honda unless Nissan offer you a deal you can't refuse.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Constant Velocity Transmission.. A rubber belt and some pulleys instead of a gearbox. In small cc cars they never seem to stop changing "gear" Avoid like the plague unless u drive very slowly and like being overtaken.

Edited by Pdaz

Nissan Teana is on higher cattegory than Toyota Camry and Honda Accord that equal to a Nissan Silphy. If can get it for similar price the Nissan Teana is a lot more car for the money. Depreciation can be an issue. Toyota and Honda hold value a lot better than any other brand. But, in my opinion the best buy for the money today is a Nissan Hibrid.

Edited by umbanda

Nissan builds very reliable and long lasting engines. The Teana is also the only car in this category that gets a 6 cylinder motor. The sound is just great, no chance for the sawing machines in the Accord and Camry. The CVT works very well in combination with the Teana's engine. It pulls through from zero to 100 quick and effortless. Also overtaking is a breeze. I enjoy the unobtrusive humming sound of the engine at highway speed.

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

1.Honda 2.Toyota 3.Nissan

Based on reliability, build quality, and potential re-sale value.( IMHO)

I agree, my friend who has a teanna later changed to honda says he prefers honda more.

I think Teanna ride and interior comfort is nice if you are a passenger. As a driver its on the softer side, resale value and service is not as good as honda and toyota.

The toyota interior looks the cheapest among the three, it does feel spacious and thats about it.

The honda has nice options and its a more sporty ride. The new honda doors has a heavier feel similar to a european cars, I know this is just an adjustment of the door springs, it gives it a nice feel.

15 minutes ago, khunano said:

Nissan builds very reliable and long lasting engines. The Teana is also the only car in this category that gets a 6 cylinder motor. The sound is just great, no chance for the sawing machines in the Accord and Camry. The CVT works very well in combination with the Teana's engine. It pulls through from zero to 100 quick and effortless. Also overtaking is a breeze. I enjoy the unobtrusive humming sound of the engine at highway speed.

The current model Camry, Accord and Teana are all 4 cylinders in Thailand. 

The V6's are older models.

Edited by Jitar

13 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Constant Velocity Transmission.. A rubber belt and some pulleys instead of a gearbox. In small cc cars they never seem to stop changing "gear" Avoid like the plague unless u drive very slowly and like being overtaken.

You don't know what you are talking about unless it

would be a lawnmower or snowmobile with a CVT.

It could be a belt or a chain drive.

Either way they are very reliable and no problem with changing gear or

being overtaken.

Have a CVT in a Mitsubishi and it will go just as fast on the level

or up a steep grade as your manual or automatic!

Also many smaller motorbikes have the CVT and they are

very reliable.

21 minutes ago, Jitar said:

The current model Camry, Accord and Teana are all 4 cylinders in Thailand. 

The V6's are older models.

Unfortunately you are right, wasn't aware that the 2.5L put in the latest Teana models has now only 4 cylinders. What a pity Nissan ditched their terrific 6 cylinder engine in Thailand. I'll keep enjoying my 6 years old Teana then for a while yet....

Not all Honda, Nissan, and Toyota are the same... but you cannot go wrong with the Accord or Camry.  Both will hold their resale value, altho it will be easier to get the Toyota as they have much more stock on hand than Honda, who will probably make you wait a month or two.  Toyota will be less expensive to service, but not by much.  I cannot speak for Nissan, sorry.  I can tell you however to avoid buying a Volvo in Thailand, they have horrible after sales service and the cars themselves have a lot of issues.  BMW is a class act, they have excellent financing offers and you can probably get a 3 series for around the same monthly payment as the top level Camry or Accord..both at around 2m.  The 3 series is less than 3m, and you can balloon 1m for 5 years... plus, it includes free service and maintenance for 5 years.  So my point to your friend, go check at the 3 series instead and run the numbers.  

I brought a Honda accord 4 years ago--had a civic before that which I brought for 700K+ and sold for 450K 6 years latter, I was reluctant as get the   Accord as my wife stands 4.11' in high heals, thought it might be to big. She came back from the internet with the stats that next to the BMW it had the best visibility-- 4 years on it gets beaten by some of the 4 wheel drives--and a Merc b ut still beats all the others you mentioned--http://www.consumerreports.org/cars-cars-with-the-best-and-worst-visibility/

One of the things that really impress me (& there are many in the accord) is the fuel consumption, I was looking at the possibility of buying Toyota Primus or something to thinking that fuel was going to be a bigger factor in Thailand's future. Then read an article that Honda had scaled down its electric research because of its use of E85. I live in Issan--Udon Thani and often drive to BKK or Pattaya with a car full of people on 1 tank of E85.

That really isn't in any way an exaggeration

a Tank of E85 takes 1100-1200 baht, at first it was difficult to find stations selling it (the car can of course take 3 other petrols including 91) but now E85 it seems is everywhere, which suggests that maybe those other models that you are considering use it also. I have mention before--I would never buy a new car anywhere but BKK--its worth the plane & hotel stay IMO....:coffee1:

I wish Mazda offered the Mazda 6 here though :(

But, if you are looking for best resale value - it will have to be the camry. Even if you dont sell it, it can be rented out on short/long term rental contracts. 

Accord / Tiena - comes down to pure personal taste and preference - but if you are looking at any of these two, you are not a big toyota fan anyways.  

2 hours ago, khunano said:

Unfortunately you are right, wasn't aware that the 2.5L put in the latest Teana models has now only 4 cylinders. What a pity Nissan ditched their terrific 6 cylinder engine in Thailand. I'll keep enjoying my 6 years old Teana then for a while yet....

It drank fuel, and the current teana 4 cyl. uses more than the camry and acord as well. 

There are some 3.5L camrys and hondas lurking around too, but net seem may for sale second hand. Plenty of old 3.0 v6 accords available though. Not economical so noone wants them. 

2 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

I brought a Honda accord 4 years ago--had a civic before that which I brought for 700K+ and sold for 450K 6 years latter, I was reluctant as get the   Accord as my wife stands 4.11' in high heals, thought it might be to big. She came back from the internet with the stats that next to the BMW it had the best visibility-- 4 years on it gets beaten by some of the 4 wheel drives--and a Merc b ut still beats all the others you mentioned--http://www.consumerreports.org/cars-cars-with-the-best-and-worst-visibility/

One of the things that really impress me (& there are many in the accord) is the fuel consumption, I was looking at the possibility of buying Toyota Primus or something to thinking that fuel was going to be a bigger factor in Thailand's future. Then read an article that Honda had scaled down its electric research because of its use of E85. I live in Issan--Udon Thani and often drive to BKK or Pattaya with a car full of people on 1 tank of E85.

That really isn't in any way an exaggeration

a Tank of E85 takes 1100-1200 baht, at first it was difficult to find stations selling it (the car can of course take 3 other petrols including 91) but now E85 it seems is everywhere, which suggests that maybe those other models that you are considering use it also. I have mention before--I would never buy a new car anywhere but BKK--its worth the plane & hotel stay IMO....:coffee1:

I live near Khampaeng Phet and you suggest that I travel 400 km to BKK, stay overnight or two just to buy a new car. Where do you suggest that I get it serviced? At the BKK dealers or locally. If I get it serviced locally why would I need to go to BKK to buy it in the first place?

I would buy a SUV or PPV for that amount of money.

Higher seating position, more space for trunk and more comfort especially on bumpy roads.

Toyota Fortuner

Ford Everest

Honda C-RV (wait for 2017 model launching soon)

Nissan X-Trail

Mazda CX-5 (rear seats too cramp)

Else, Nissan Teana is a good choice if value depreciation is not an issue.

Well personally I read the consumer reports daily on cars and am floored by the amount of problems mechanical and gadget wise. I was talking to my daughter who owns a Dodge diesel pickup and she just told me she paid $250 for an oil change and does so every 12,000 kms. I thought back to my last oil change $19.95 with a dollar off coupon. The real stumbling block for me would be to find a pretty car. Well off to the garage to put air in my bicycle tires. 3 bahts should cover it. 

Edited by elgordo38

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I live near Khampaeng Phet and you suggest that I travel 400 km to BKK, stay overnight or two just to buy a new car. Where do you suggest that I get it serviced? At the BKK dealers or locally. If I get it serviced locally why would I need to go to BKK to buy it in the first place?

yes of course you get it serviced locally--- why on earth would you think of driving to BKK to service it ????????? Honda guarantee & warranty covers Thailand country wise..... its an odd question build...

This is what I got in BKK on a sale

No difference in the price because I sold my last car privately

usually they will give you a better deal but can not alter the stated sale price

Free insurance 1 year

Free Film (the top grade not the usual stuff they palm off)

Free treatment for all the seats 5 year warranty (can not stain etc)

They offered me free Glass finish on car--but it was not the top grade--so we done a deal, (they paid 80%) this I think is a must, 4 years on & not 1 stone chip on the paint with the glass finish, lifetime guarantee.... my wife has had 2 bumps---after fixing they resprayed the glass over the new paint...no cost .

So many smaller extras --just can not remember them all--took them all but removed some after---runners inside the door etc....etc ....etc

If Khampaeng Phet  gives better deal than BKK ...(that dealer had sold 17 that week)....let me know.....I'll head there next time.....:coffee1:

If you do a google search on CVT in America there are some horrendous stories about the system failing and costing the owner around $6000 to replace it. They installed CVT in cars because it is lighter and cheaper, but seems to come with its own problems. I drove the Toyota Vios here and thought it was a horrible car with hesitation before it accelerated etc. I ended up buying the Altis which has dual CVT systems.....hopefully more reliable. Anybody have any inside knowledge on the Thai version of CVT?