Northern Thailand air quality remains at normal level

webfact

Northern air quality remains at normal level

BANGKOK, 13 March 2017 (NNT) - The PM10 values in nine northern provinces currently remain at a normal level. 

Pollution Control Department Director General Jatuphorn Burutphat said that the PM10 values in the nine northern provinces do not exceed the standard level of 120 micrograms per cubic meter. 

However, the authorities still have to closely monitor the situation as people still burn forests to hunt wild animals and prepare farming areas. The rising temperature in the upper part of Thailand could worsen the haze situation. 

The department has asked all provinces to be on high alert for forest fires due to a large number of hotspots and create correct understanding on the situation among the public to reduce the impacts on health.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-13

The World Health Organisation's guideline limits for PM10 are  a 20 μg/m3 annual mean and a 50 μg/m3 24-hour mean.  More importantly the article does not mention PM2.5.  It's these smaller particles which are the major risks to health.

Indeed, I am thankful; the smoke is significantly better this year. Last year it was horrendous with people burning everything from grass to garbage and everything in the kitchen sink. Add that to 42C and you'll find me inside with a case of cold Chang everyday. I hope for some reason that the Thais are learning what the price is of such negligent, lazy behaviour  is costly for the environment, their health, and general quality of life. I don't know why, but northern Chiang Rai has been much better than last year... Thank God.

This ambient air pollution interactive map provided by WHO is helpful. The problem of airborne small particulate matter seems to have been just as much an issue in the northeastern and central regions as in the north. Note that the map shows levels of PM2.5.   The World Health Organisation's guideline limits for PM2.5 are  a 10 μg/m3 annual mean and a 25 μg/m3 24-hour mean.
http://maps.who.int/airpollution/

"Normal"

I have been living in Thailand for a while, and still have no understanding or what "Normal" is for anything. I never expect that what happens today should be expected to be the same for tomorrow. Living in Thailand is great preparation for dealing with someone who has Alzheimers. 

So they claim while sitting in their offices in BKK... The air happens to be CRAP in Chiang Rai. I almost went to the hospital yesterday, Sunday. My wife went to refill my oxygen tank...Pathetic and the lies never end....!

1 hour ago, DNPBC0 said:

This ambient air pollution interactive map provided by WHO is helpful. The problem of airborne small particulate matter seems to have been just as much an issue in the northeastern and central regions as in the north. Note that the map shows levels of PM2.5.   The World Health Organisation's guideline limits for PM2.5 are  a 10 μg/m3 annual mean and a 25 μg/m3 24-hour mean.
http://maps.who.int/airpollution/

I (chiang rai city) use these sites daily. please note, some stations measure pm10 instead of the more dangerous pm2.5!

http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/chiangrai---gaia-station-03/

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/firemap/?x=100.44374999999997&y=18.403125000000003&z=7&g=g&v=6&r=3&i=nw&l=ad,ct

oo1.png

The air quality in Phrae is as bad as its ever been! In the late afternoon and evening you can't see the mountains on either side of the city from the city center! "Forest fires" are to blame??? The sale of face masks has gone through the roof!!  :sad::wai:

Archived