AIS Fiber and Playbox Review Comments

shady86

Regarding the AIS TV Program they do have an online program guide at this AIS webpage....it seems to show programming approx 1 week into the future.    I think Sookee already provided that webpage link in another post in this thread or a related one.

And the Program Guide "on a neutered box" (not talking the website now) is faster responding than what I remember in using my same box when it was still un-neutered.  Remember, I have the new box which has more horsepower than the old/original box...can't speak to how response the program guide was on the old/original/less horsepower box.  And I can't say if the program guide displayed future programming any differently than before the neutering because I rarely used the Program Guide...I'm more of a just turn the TV on and channel surfer type.   

On the un-neutered box open the Program Guide (remember we are not talking on the Playbox not the website).    From playing with the Program Guide this morning when you open it, it will not show "all" channels but a "subset" depending on what channel you having playing right now.   Say you are watching channel 20 and then press the program guide...the guide will open and show the program schedule for channels 1 thru 36.  Maybe you were watching channel 600 and then press the program guide...the guide will open and show the program schedule for 600-656.  Or while in the program guide press one of the quick select buttons like News it will show the programming schedule for the various News channels....press the Movies quick select and it will show the programming schedule for the Movie channels.   

The Playbox program schedule only shows the current day...or maybe it's 15 to 24 hours in the future from playing with it this morning where it only seems to show programming until midnight tonight.  It does not display up to one week in advance like the Program Guide on the AIS website.   Maybe by this afternoon the Program Guide on the Playbox will be show into early tomorrow....don't know yet....will need to check later.

Also when you first change to a different channel at the bottom in a banner it displays the channel number, name of the show playing, beginning & ending times of the show.  And on  that banner you can scroll back in time 6 to 12 hours to see what shows you missed on that channel and also scroll forward in time around 12 hours or more to see what shows are coming up later.    As of this morning it was showing shows up to midnight tonight.

As previously mentioned, I've never been much of a Program Guide user as I'm the type that just turns the TV on and then starts scanning through the channels to see what's on...switching from channel to channel frequently....guess you could say I just surf around the channels randomly.   I'm like a little kid when it comes to watching TV....hard to keep my attention too long.

I notice that channel 991 reappeared in the channel lineup on one box only....the box that had it yesterday but I was able to get rid of my clearing the AIS Play app Cache.  But today when clearing the Cache, it did not work today.   I even tried clearing the Cache for all apps.  I then cleared the app cache on the box that did not have channel 991 to see if it might make it appear, but it didn't. 

Now this channel 991 named Fierce Fashion is not streaming anything...it just displays a static image/poster of female,  model's face and some words, etc.....I expect it's just a "future channel" that will be on AIS TV in the future.  Just a little strange how it appears only on one of my two neutered boxes....all the other channels numbers of 1 thru 807 are identical on both boxes.  

Both boxes still streaming TV channels/movies fine...now up to 2.5 days of solid streaming....none of the problems I was whining about from 11 May to late night 21 May/Monday of on-and-off streaming....from none of the channels streaming...or only 50% streaming...or many channels freezing/pausing....etc.   11 May was the day both boxes got neutered and my problems began...and late 21 May was when I feel AIS did some fix/channel programming upgrade that may have fixed most of my problems.  I hope they truely did fix something and I'm merely just having some good luck in my Playbox streaming since late Monday night....time will tell.

Can't say fixed "all" problems because the English-Thai Preferred soundtrack automatic selection issue still exists on several channels which require you to use the Audio selector to switch to Thai audio (although it's already playing Thai audio) and then switch back to English which kick-starts it to playing the English soundtrack.

Edited by Pib

36 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Looks like I have not been neutered yet. Everything is working fine and I do like the new remote control Pib posted earlier. We lost the original remote and had to connect a mouse to change channels.

95978.jpg

Yea....you haven't been neutered yet.  And yes, the new model Playbox remote with the keypad  is MUCH BETTER than the old remote like over double the range plus other features....I'm no longer whining about the remote.

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

Fox Thai / English still BOTH streaming Thai language.

Pretty much ditto on a neutered box but at least you can kick-start a channel over to the English soundtrack as mentioned earlier.  Fox Crime channel and one or two of the three Nat Geo channels also.  

I definitely wish they would get this fixed, but to be totally honest it's more of an inconvenience since from just looking at a show for around 5 to 10 seconds (sometimes even less), even in Thai audio or no audio, I pretty know whether I want to watch it.  If I do want to watch it I then do the kick-start thing for those channels that still do not automatically choose your Preferred soundtrack setting....takes around 5 seconds to do the kick-start thing.

One oddity I've noticed about the audio kick-start thing like on the FoxThai or FoxCrime channels, "sometimes" I do not have to change to Thai "and then back to English" to kick-start the English soundtrack.  Instead, I just have to change it to Thai and it starts the English soundtrack....no need to select English.   But most of the time I have to switch to Thai and then back to English.

However, but, if the kick-start thing did not work and a person couldn't get the English soundtrack on a channel that has an English soundtrack then that is much more than an inconvenience...that's a problem especially since a person is paying for the TV service. 

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Pib said:

Yeap, I left TrueOnline internet in July 16 for AIS Fibre internet and about 6 months later dumped TrueVisions for AIS TV when TrueVisions lost the HBO and other channels to AIS and TrueVisions also implemented a 7% price hike.   True simply wasn't competitive in their internet plan pricing...way higher pricing than 3BB and AIS....but since around late 2016 True did lower their internet pricing significantly...the competition from AIS and 3BB was obviously draining off customers.   And AIS internet international speed was so much better than TrueOnline internet international speed...your result may vary.

If person price compared the current AIS 200/50 Power4 plan (internet, TV, SIM, Wifi...including the Platinum TV add-on package for 12 months) at Bt1998  to the very similar True 200/50 plan (internet, TV, SIM, Wifi...including their Platinum TrueVisions add-on package for 12 months) at Bt2,799 that equates to a Bt801 higher price by True.   That makes True approx 40% pricier than AIS...still not very competitive price-wise in my book.   Add-in the 7% VAT to these prices to get a more accurate pricing.

And for this comparison I'm considering the TrueVisions Platinum TV package and AIS Play TV Platinum TV package to be basically equal.  I know this arguable based on what type of channels/movies each person prefers to watch.  For me, I've had both TrueVisions Platinum and AIS TV Platinum and I prefer the AIS channel line-up especially since they have the HBO channels, HBO Go, and other features TrueVisions does not have.

But hey, if AIS TV can't get it's streaming problems fixed that many are having with the neutered Playboxes I can easily understand reluctantly switching back to TrueVisions,  without getting into the discussion on using other Android boxes, live streaming from other IPTV services, etc....etc...etc.

Above was a price comparison True and AIS "200/50" combo plans with Platinum TV  package add-in under a 12 month contract period.   

When doing the same comparison on True and AIS "50/20" combo plans with premium TV add-on, the True price is Bt2,499 and the AIS price Bt1,398.  True is around 80% more expensive.  As in above example 7% VAT needs to be added in for more accurate pricing. 

And both of these comparisons assumed only one settop box.   If a person wanted two setup boxes...like one for the living room and one for the bedroom....then another settop box from True will cost you an additional Bt437.63 per month and an additional settop box (Playbox) from AIS will cost you and additional Bt100 per month.  Once again 7% VAT not in these amounts.  Now True is becoming even more expensive if you are a two TV box household.

51 minutes ago, Pib said:

Pretty much ditto on a neutered box but at least you can kick-start a channel over to the English soundtrack as mentioned earlier.  Fox Crime channel and one or two of the three Nat Geo channels also.  

I definitely wish they would get this fixed, but to be totally honest it's more of an inconvenience since from just looking at a show for around 5 to 10 seconds (sometimes even less), even in Thai audio or no audio, I pretty know whether I want to watch it.  If I do want to watch it I then do the kick-start thing for those channels that still do not automatically choose your Preferred soundtrack setting....takes around 5 seconds to do the kick-start thing.

One oddity I've noticed about the audio kick-start thing like on the FoxThai or FoxCrime channels, "sometimes" I do not have to change to Thai "and then back to English" to kick-start the English soundtrack.  Instead, I just have to change it to Thai and it starts the English soundtrack....no need to select English.   But most of the time I have to switch to Thai and then back to English.

However, but, if the kick-start thing did not work and a person couldn't get the English soundtrack on a channel that has an English soundtrack then that is much more than an inconvenience...that's a problem especially since a person is paying for the TV service. 

That doesn't sound good to me, to be honest. 

4 hours ago, Pib said:

On an un-neutered box there isn't even a way to kick start it, other than the display and region settings under Settings Common and Setup there isn't anywhere to set English other than in the Settings which occupies the end of the banner under the channels.  Under that there is English and Original.  Tried changing that multiple times.  If kick-starting it with the new update does work I wonder if they knackered the server settings up somehow in trying to get the streaming to work on two types of boxes (updated and not).  Looks like they are making a real pig's ear of this update.

AIS called me a few moments ago.  Asked me to try again.  Still Thai on both.  Also asked me to reset to English as I described above (in Settings on the channel banner).  No joy.  Surprise surprise.  Not impressed as I'm paying for the service and do watch Fox Thai quite a bit.  She went off and checked then came back and said they'd have to check it out and get back to me.  I said fine, but I'd like a discount for the service I'm not getting plus if it's not sorted, I'll chop the service.

Seems like they are just trying to fix things on the hoof (tinker, break, tinker, break, wash, rinse, repeat), fix something in one place, screw it up in another.  Pretty disastrous really.

Edited by SooKee

What bothered me during my numerous calls to AIS when my boxes were not streaming worth a durn was how almost every rep I "initially" talked gave the impression the problem was not widespread...but limited.   But after 3 or 4 calls that tone subsided because they do log the reason you are calling...so when you call again and they pull up your account on their screen they see why you had called earlier.   Only around this weekend in my numerous calls did the reps seem to reluctantly imply, Yes the problem is widespread....the problem is on our end...not with your home internet connection or Playbox.  And when the last rep gave me a 20% discount on my next bill I knew that meant the problem was widespread.

Things are different when calling AIS Fibre for support now.  Before they had a dedicated support center and 1185  number.  The initial rep you got seemed more technically proficient in discussing your problem.  Then AIS consolidated AIS Fibre Customer Support into the AIS Mobile Customer Support....you now call 1175...pick whether you are calling about mobile or internet problems...and the initial rep you gets seems to be very limited in technical knowledge/pretty much an admin-only type. They pretty just take you complaint and forward it to the technical level along with a promise that someone will call back within 3 or 24 hours....usually that call does not occur although your problem may seem to clear up or partially clear up for a while which means they did something on their end.  

Customer support ain't what it use to be IMO....they are polite and professional during the call but when it comes to getting your problem fixed their performance hasn't been stellar with these Playbox neutering problems. 

And my gut tells me this automatic selection of your Preferred soundtrack problem on some channels is probably a low priority on their "fix it list" since the great, great majority of their customers are Thai which want the Thai language soundtrack.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Interestingly, my Fox Thai now plays in English... Thank you, SooKee ?

And Pib - went to AIS yesterday evening to pay bill and ask about streaming issues - left number and they promised to call me back. Still waiting...

When I was viewing FoxThai last night I needed to do the kick-start/switch soundtrack thing to get English.  This morning when I checked FoxThai just see if all channels were streaming (and they were) I noticed the FoxThai show on at the time was playing English. 

Not to leap joy thinking they are fixed the Preferred audio language issue I switched to Thai audio and there was none...still in English.  So, I expect that particular only had an English soundtrack which means it would play English audio if your you have your Preferred audio set to Thai or temporarily switch to Thai audio.  

I see that a far amount on the NatGeo channels shows....some shows are dual language...others are English only....when this occurs it can fool a person into thinking the Preferred soundtrack issue has been solved.  

I'm wondering whether they've changed how the language works now, picking it up solely from Settings vs discreet channels. Might explain why my FT is only doing Thai. Maybe what I have now is just channel place holders and without the setting in the new UI it can't pick up the English feed. That said, the other channels are still work when selecting the English option. Maybe they just haven't got round to screwing those up yet!!

I'll post again on this if / when they sort out the English feed or, probably more likely, when my box gets updated thus making the English feed available. Past caring now TBH. How not to handle a system update!!

Sent using Tapatalk

Thought I would do a test to see if making a Playbox Wifi connection to my smartphone DTAC network hotspot would allow AIS Play to stream since my AIS Fibre connection is down right now.  It didn't....although the Playbox made the Wifi connection to my smarpthone OK the Playbox was not getting an IP address from the AIS servers.  

Don't know if that means the Playbox will only play on an AIS Fibre line...or it means the problem they are having right now (at least in my area/for my account) has my account not working at their central servers regardless of how you connect.  

Once my AIS Fibre service is restored/working normally again to include the Playboxes I then run the smartphone DTAC hotspot test again.

Edited by Pib

Just noticed I posted in another AIS TV related thread which was really meant for this thread...so below is what I posted a little earlier to help explain my comments above about my AIS Fibre service being down right now/doing the smartphone hotspot test.

Just got back from a market run at 10:15am and my AIS Fibre connection is down...Loss of Signal to the router which means zero AIS Fibre internet at my house.  Was working fine before leaving for the market around 9am...to include the Playboxes still streaming fine.  Router light for Loss of Incoming Signal is blinking which means no signal arriving.  I'm now using internet via hotspot from my smartphone on DTAC network.  

Anyway, called the AIS 1175 and instead of getting the options to talk to a rep/human a computer/recording states my AIS internet number and basically says they already know I have a loss of internet. 

And "I think the recording says since it's hard to understand the English recording in some places" is that the problem is due to an outage at the California Exchange and service will be restored around 14:07....but don't quote me on the "California Exchange and times" as the English is really hard to understand on the recording.  I called twice and still not sure what portions of the recording is saying especially if they are saying "California" in one spot which makes no sense just to get a local/in-Thailand internet connection.

Listened to the recording again at 11:10am...little clearer recording this time....it's saying the "telephone exchange" not the California exchange....plus I think it saying a fix time of 14:29 now...before I think it said 14:07...still kinda hard to understand portions of the recording.

33 minutes ago, Pib said:

Thought I would do a test to see if making a Playbox Wifi connection to my smartphone DTAC network hotspot would allow AIS Play to stream since my AIS Fibre connection is down right now.  It didn't....although the Playbox made the Wifi connection to my smarpthone OK the Playbox was not getting an IP address from the AIS servers.  

Don't know if that means the Playbox will only play on an AIS Fibre line...or it means the problem they are having right now (at least in my area/for my account) has my account not working at their central servers regardless of how you connect.  

Once my AIS Fibre service is restored/working normally again to include the Playboxes I then run the smartphone DTAC hotspot test again.

AFAIK, Playbox will only work if connected to an AIS Fibre connection either by cable or wifi.  Otherwise you could avail yourself of the Playbox package without having a Fibre account.  Same if your tried to plug a Playbox into a non AIS Fibre router, it won't validate.

Service OK here in BKK central.  Local exchange failure no doubt.

Edited by SooKee

My AIS Fibre connection just came back shortly after posting above...came back around 11:20am....my internet connection online again and Playboxes streaming.

Did that smartphone "DTAC" tethering hotspot test again and now the Playbox gets an IP address and streams.   Also tried it on a hotspot using my tablet which has an AIS SIM....and the Playbox streamed. 

So, the Playbox will stream via smartphone hotspot tethering on DTAC or AIS mobile networks versus needing an AIS Fibre feed feeding your home Ethernet or Wifi.   

But I can't say if it would continue to stream beyond X-minutes, especially on a non-AIS mobile connection such as DTAC as I didn't test that long....and even on an AIS mobile connection I can't say it would continue to stream for X-minutes.  

"I point this out since" an earlier poster in this thread or a related thread said he had his Playbox streaming via a "3BB" connection....he used both AIS and 3BB connections at his home via a dual WAN router setup.    But he said after X-minutes with the Playbox connected to 3BB that the Playbox gave a pop-up message that the Playbox only works with an AIS Fibre connection and stopped streaming on the 3BB connection.    This is not to be confused with using the "mobile" AIS Play app on your smartphone...I'm talking running the AIS Play app installed on the Playbox.

Anyway, this brief AIS Fibre internet outage gave me a chance to experiment with mobile  network hotspot tethering to the Playbox.

Edit: whoops, I didn't see tomazboder's post until I posted above.  He was the one that that talked earlier about the Playbox streaming on 3BB.  

Edited by Pib

But without that AIS Fibre feed it will detect an invalid connection and drop!  Be it a mobile network or non AIS home connection.  How long it will take to validate varies, but validate it will, and it WILL drop.

Working for a few minutes and then dropping is not the same as working and "So, the Playbox will stream via smartphone hotspot tethering on DTAC or AIS mobile networks versus needing an AIS Fibre feed feeding your home Ethernet or Wifi."  I'm talking about it working, not some temporary dribble of data it might be able to receive before the server handshake cuts it off.

Edited by SooKee

3 hours ago, Pib said:

When I was viewing FoxThai last night I needed to do the kick-start/switch soundtrack thing to get English.  This morning when I checked FoxThai just see if all channels were streaming (and they were) I noticed the FoxThai show on at the time was playing English. 

Not to leap joy thinking they are fixed the Preferred audio language issue I switched to Thai audio and there was none...still in English.  So, I expect that particular only had an English soundtrack which means it would play English audio if your you have your Preferred audio set to Thai or temporarily switch to Thai audio.  

I see that a far amount on the NatGeo channels shows....some shows are dual language...others are English only....when this occurs it can fool a person into thinking the Preferred soundtrack issue has been solved.  

I just check FoxThai at 1:45pm.  The show on at that time was playing in Thai audio, but I could switch to English.  So that show is carrying dual language (English and Thai) but my Preferred audio setting can't properly detect that requiring me to kick-start it over to English

SooKee, you still getting Thai audio only on FoxThai even when selecting the English FoxThai channel?

5 hours ago, Pib said:

I have more than 1 AIS Fibre location, I tried moving the Play box over to the other AIS Fibre that didn't have the AIS Play service and it won't play, so it seems like the box is tied to your 'number' 

AIS Play app however, will play over WIFI just fine, and it streams over WIFI to Chromecast with less problem than the AIS Play box

42 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

My FoxThai is playing in Thai when set to English, and in English when set to Thai... Umm...

Otherwise AIS just called some 30 min back and asked me about the problem, then said they would call again tomorrow to check, as "they had problems with their network that were just resolved today". It has worked for about half an hour and now it just stopped again. In other words - it's same as before.

My box sometimes does the same when it apparently gets confused.   Or on the FoxThai channel if I just switch to Thai sometimes it starts playing English....I don't have to do the normal next step of going back to English to kickstart it into English.

And if you believe what they say the problems were resolved today then I have some prime swamp land in Florida to sell you....or maybe you would prefer buying the London Bridge I have for sale.    I love how they seem to act as if you are the only person with the problem.  Or, first we've heard of that problem followed by the question are you using an Ethernet cable.   Keep up the good work in calling in these problems because I wore myself out with all the calls I made the week or so after my boxes were neutered.....I'm now recovering...rebuilding strength so I can start calling again....my calls will be about the Preferred audio problem also.  :tongue:

A few minutes ago around 5:55pm I played around with the soundtrack issue on three channels...FX, FoxCrime, and FoxThai. 

FX had show on which had both English and Thai soundtracks...when changing to FX my Preferred audio setting of English worked....English played.  And I could kickstart/change it over to the Thai soundtrack

FoxCrime  had a show on had both English and Thai soundtracks....when changing to FoxCrime my Preferred audio setting of English didn't work because it played the Thai soundtrack....however, I could kickstart/change it over to the English soundtrack.

FoxThai show apparently only had an English soundtrack because when changing to FoxThai my Preferred audio setting of English worked "only because" apparently there was no Thai soundtrack.  When I kickstart/changed it to Thai audio it still played English.  Yeap, depending on the show that show may or may not have dual language soundtracks....if only one language soundtrack that's all it will play regardless of what your Preferred audio setting is.

But since the Preferred audio setting worked properly on the FX channel but not the FoxCrime channel (since both of these channels had a dual language show playing) I can only assume the problem is on the AIS servers end.  Or the audio codex for those two channels is different where one codex works  properly with the Playbox Preferred audio setting and the other does not.   

Lots and lots of different video and audio codexs a media stream can possibly use but to your eyes or ears you can't tell the difference.  However, the hardware/apps playing those media streams may have some problems in  corrrectly playing them....like correctly picking the Preferred audio stream you have set.

• Like 1

Right after posting above I went back to run the same tests at 6:20pm since different shows are now playing on those three channels.  

Got the same results on the FX and FoxCrime channels.   But this time on the FoxThai channel there was now a dual language show playing and it played in Thai until I kick started it over to English.   

So, with dual language shows playing on on three channels only on the FX channel did the Preferred audio setting of English work.  But for the FoxCrime and FoxThai channels they seemed to ignore the Preferred audio setting of English and instead defaulted to playing Thai... but could be kick started over to playing English.     It's a channel by channel issue.

• Like 1

tomazbodner,

I'm confused now.  Earlier in this thread you said your new box came neutered when you got it.  But above is what happens when your box gets neutered....unless you are getting an another upgrade.   I just checked one of my boxes...that is did a Software Upgrade check and it came back saying I had the latest version.

OK, you have a new box (i.e., rectangular in shape versus square like the old box) but "before" it did above upgrade you show were you running the old AIS Play app where the channel bar is at the bottom of the screen....or the new AIS Play app where the channel bar is on the left hand side of the screen?

And what version of the AIS software & Android OS are you running right now....a 4.X  version or a 7.X version.  If a 7.x version what is the complete number....mine is ver 7.6.22..   And the Android OS ver is 7.1.2.    If you have later version numbers than these that means AIS is pushing out another update I just haven''t got yet.

At least folks with the update seem to have some semblance of a chance of forcing Fox Thai (English) to play in English. Those without the update are screwed. Nothing you can while AIS pi55 about getting their act together. Or not!!! Was promised they'd call me back today. Of course, they didn't. Couldn't organise a pi55 up in a brewery!! :(

No current problems playing any of the other channels where there are dual language options or where they are English only. Maybe they'll get round to screwing those up in time.

Sent using Tapatalk

Do you have anywhere in Android or Playbox settings menu an option to upgrade system? Maybe you can perform a network update. Not sure your version supports it, mine has System Update, and in there options of USB or Network update. Now it just says I have most current software already installed when performing network update.
Yup. Tried many times. It can't be forced.

Sent using Tapatalk

tomazbodner,

That's interesting...where you show on that "Information Screen" software version 1.6.7, on mine it reflects ver 7.6.22.   For the Android OS we both have version 7.1.2.    And on that same info screen where your ESN says None my ESN is a long number approx 90 digits long.   

Maybe these differences are due to different packages were are on....maybe different Playbox hardware....who knows.

When you select the FoxThai channel and assuming your preferred audio setting is English, does it automatically start playing English or Thai?    Be sure to confirm what ever show is playing at the time has a dual soundtrack because if that show only has an English soundtrack it will play in English regardless of your Preferred audio setting. 

The  FoxCrime channel is usually another channel where you can run above Preferred audio test since that channel always seems to play Thai even with a Preferred audio setting of English...you then need to kick start it over to English.   Ditto on ensuring the show playing has dual soundtracks to run the test.

Edit: I also notice the your Model Number is different from mine, the Android Security Patch date is several months later than mine

Edited by Pib

I also notice your box Model Number is different from mine, your Android Security Patch date is several months later than mine...other difference I expect but I didn't look further.  I expect although the new Playboxes may look identical on the outside I'm guessing there are slight internal circuit board/IC hardware differences which is why you and I are seeing different software version numbers, build dates, model numbers, etc.    Kinda like buying a car....two cars may look identical on the outside but one may come with V6 and the other a V4....one with auto transmission but the other standard transmission.

17 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

FoxThai audio (set to English by default) always starts (ok, except some period yesterday) playing in Thai. In the past I switched language to Thai (and was still Thai), then back to English, and it was in English. But today - when I switch from English to Thai, soundtrack changes from Thai to English. Go figure...

Package is Platinum.

And I have no clue what was in ESN and what previous software version was before upgrade. I may have checked but don't remember.

My package is a the Power4  200/50 plan with Platinum package, Wifi, and SIM.   Since ESN is usually related to Electronic Serial Number of SIMs if you don't have a package with a SIM also which I use in my tablet, maybe that is the difference.  Maybe you are on a plan which doesn't include the SIM.   Then again ESN can also apply to devices versus just a SIM.

I know when I switched to the Power4 plan which came with the SIM where the Ref 2 number on the bill use to be my AIS Fibre internet number, it changed to my SIM number.

Edited by Pib

My AIS TV streaming on my neutered new Playboxes has been solid since late Monday night/21 May....after that Monday afternoon when the streaming sucked.  In my call to AIS Monday evening was when they told me if was a major network problem affecting many.......not just me.  Wouldn't be resolved until 8pm (pm) Tuesday night....around 24 hours from when I called.   And the rep was not referring to some AIS person calling me back within 24 hours, but the fix being around 24 hours away.

However, around 11:30pm Monday night, a few hours after my call, the streaming came back and has been solid since.  Basically, from 11 May when both new model boxes were neutered up until the evening of 21 May, the streaming when from solid to totally sucks to in-between.   But all good since late Monday night 21 May--knock on wood (my head).

Only continuing problem is how "some" (not all) of the channels with dual language soundtracks (English & Thai) do not default to my Preferred Audio soundtrack setting of English....they always start playing in Thai.  Instead, for those channels it requires you to manually switch to the English soundtrack which takes you around 5 or so seconds of remote button pushing....then it plays the English soundtrack if an English soundtrack exists for that particular show.  But once you change from that channel that temporary language audio setting is forgotten...go back to that channel and you need to do the 5 seconds of button pushing to switch back to the English soundtrack.  

And the new model IR remote (with number key pad) I got this week works so much better than the old model remote in terms of range and features.   The old remote only had a range of around 5 to 6 meters if you had a bulls eye aim at the Playbox IR receiver, but the new model remote has a range of at least 12 meters from my testing, doesn't require you to hit the bulls eye but just hit the dart board in terms of aiming (i.e., wider IR cone), has additional buttons such as Favorites & numbered keypad to jump to new channel numbers if desired, etc.  Much better than the old/original remote.

If they get the Preferred Audio soundtrack working on "all" channels which carry dual soundtracks then all is good.  Hope I haven't just jinxed myself is saying this....time will tell.   

P.S.  My Thai wife is now using AIS TV predominately over our C/KU band satellite TV setup we also have in the house.  She primarily prefers AIS now primarily because the picture & sound quality is better than satellite reception "combined with the new AIS Play interface/launcher setup" where she can scroll for channels on the left side of the screen with channel numbers & names....other related features also.  She never liked the old AIS interface/launcher where the channel bar was on the bottom, didn't have channel numbers just names, was slow to scroll, we still had the old model remote, etc.   And I guess she's also more comfortable with the new Playbox AIS Play interface since it pretty much mirrors the "mobile" AIS Play TV app which she uses occasionally when away from the house. 

• Like 1