Renewing a British Right of Abode in an Australian Passport while living in Thailand?

I am an Australian passport holder living here in Thailand. I have had a British Right of Abode in my previous passports however I now need to get a new one in my recently renewed Australian passport. I plan to go to the UK in July to visit relatives but would like this Right of Abode renewed before I go there. I won't be back in Australia before then. I have my old expired passports with Right of Abode stickers in them. Has anyone had experience with this situation? Any advice about how to renew  my right of abode while in Thailand appreciated. I've read some people have just taken their old expired passports  and shown this at UK Immigration on arrival without any problems. Sounds risky to me - would rather not.

15 minutes ago, thenewgoo said:

I've read some people have just taken their old expired passports  and shown this at UK Immigration on arrival without any problems. Sounds risky to me - would rather not.

Yes that's sounds risky because the Airline has the right to refuse you if you do not have a Visa to the country you are going to.

The right to abode is because of what ? British Parents ?

I would think your best option would be to get a Visa to enter the UK then get the renewal of Right to abode entered there....why haven't you just got duel citizenship

To be honest --I haven't heard of right to abode.

• Like 1

Same here. But was reading an Immigration forum recently ( sorry can't remember where now ) and it was between the office that issues them and an applicant. It appeared that you must reapply because they aren't transferable due to some vague department policy that they have. The thread went on ad nauseum hetween these two for what appeared to be weeks. But the Immigration wouldn't budge on the policy to this guy. If you want to see it just google UK Right of Abode, its there somewhere. Strangely enough my UK drivers licence is good till I'm 75 . 

7 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Yes that's sounds risky because the Airline has the right to refuse you if you do not have a Visa to the country you are going to.

The right to abode is because of what ? British Parents ?

I would think your best option would be to get a Visa to enter the UK then get the renewal of Right to abode entered there....why haven't you just got duel citizenship

To be honest --I haven't heard of right to abode.

Simply getting a tourist visa is the fall back plan. Just as much hassle no doubt. I guess I've never got dual citizenship simply because I never needed to. I'm not sure I can even hold both a UK and Australian passport at the same time. Thanks for your thoughts ,

1 minute ago, thenewgoo said:

Simply getting a tourist visa is the fall back plan. Just as much hassle no doubt. I guess I've never got dual citizenship simply because I never needed to. I'm not sure I can even hold both a UK and Australian passport at the same time. Thanks for your thoughts ,

Not an easy fall back plan. For "child" substitute" "anyone" :

11 hours ago, Tony M said:

This might help :

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/apply-for-a-certificate-of-entitlement

Apply from outside the UK

You must apply online using the ‘Apply for a UK visa’ service.

A certificate of entitlement costs £472 outside the UK.

Looked good until the £472 bit. I'm actually renewing one, not applying for one. I must assume they are different fish.

2 minutes ago, thenewgoo said:

Looked good until the £472 bit. I'm actually renewing one, not applying for one. I must assume they are different fish.

I think you are actually applying for a new one, because the old one is invalid..   There is no such thing as a renewable ROA vignette (sticker).

Edited by Tony M

6 minutes ago, Panda13 said:

Same here. But was reading an Immigration forum recently ( sorry can't remember where now ) and it was between the office that issues them and an applicant. It appeared that you must reapply because they aren't transferable due to some vague department policy that they have. The thread went on ad nauseum hetween these two for what appeared to be weeks. But the Immigration wouldn't budge on the policy to this guy. If you want to see it just google UK Right of Abode, its there somewhere. Strangely enough my UK drivers licence is good till I'm 75 . 

Interesting, and not good news. Thanks for your feedback.

49 minutes ago, thenewgoo said:

I think the UK visa application for an Oz is simple & done on line, --re the holding of passports--yes you can have as many Commonwealth passports as you need---my children have 3 passports (Born in Kiwi/became Oz Citizens/ have British parents)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

I think the UK visa application for an Oz is simple & done on line, --re the holding of passports--yes you can have as many Commonwealth passports as you need---my children have 3 passports (Born in Kiwi/became Oz Citizens/ have British parents)

Actually, it turns out that Aussies don't need any visa to visit the UK for tourism up to 6 months which should work just fine for my immediate purposes. Interesting what you say about the passports. I'll keep that in mind. Cheers.

9 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

White Commonwealth, perhaps.  India and Malaysia have laws against dual nationality.

3 hours ago, Richard W said:

White Commonwealth, perhaps.  India and Malaysia have laws against dual nationality.

I am sure your right Richard--although the inflow into the UK from India still-- 70 years after independence--must mean some leniency on their policy's.

--------------

Not to go off thread but a lot of countries that do not have dual citizenship seem to have a sort of "don't ask"  out look --like Thailand many Thais ladies keep their Thai passports and ID cards and even purchase land when they visit.

Have a English friend who took American citizenship (I think only dual allowed with Israel) --he still renews his UK passport & uses it where ever its an advantage.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

I am sure your right Richard--although the inflow into the UK from India still-- 70 years after independence--must mean some leniency on their policy's.

I don't think so.  Children borne by Indian mothers to British citizen fathers in India tend to come to the UK using Indian passports endorsed with right of abode in the United Kingdom, despite the expense.  If the child used a British passport , it would immediately lose Indian citizenship.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:29 PM, thenewgoo said:

Actually, it turns out that Aussies don't need any visa to visit the UK for tourism up to 6 months which should work just fine for my immediate purposes. Interesting what you say about the passports. I'll keep that in mind. Cheers.

Whilst this is of course correct, you need to keep in mind that you that landing is subject to the Border Force Officer being satisfied that you're a genuine tourist.
Many Australians are refused entry to the UK every year when they can't satisfy the officer of their intentions.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Colonel Klink said:

My (former) wife had a UK ROA stamp in her passport based on patriality (British grandparents). Whenever she got a new (NZ) passport, she simply took it to the UK embassy or consulate and had a new ROA stamp placed in it. Was a straight forward process.

Procedures have changed.

Prove you have right of abode in the UK: 3. Apply for a certificate of entitlement

You need to apply for a new certificate when your passport expires.

How you apply for a certificate of entitlement depends on whether you’re inside or outside the UK........

You must apply online using the ‘Apply for a UK visa’ service.

On 3/15/2017 at 7:27 PM, Panda13 said:

Strangely enough my UK drivers licence is good till I'm 75 . 

Actually not, unless you are resident in the UK. They can also fine you 1,000 Quid for not telling them you have moved abroad. Hanging on to a residential address in the UK if you are not actually there is not allowed.....

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

I have decided not to renew my UK licence this year.

On 3/15/2017 at 7:32 PM, thenewgoo said:

my wife had the right of abode  in the UK in her Thai passport. But when her Thai passport expired. I tried to get it transferred to her new one. They said that is not possible, they are not transferable and she had to apply for a new one. I'm sure the same will apply to your Australian passport.

Just for those who are curious. My wife's British passport expired and at that time a new British passport cost a lot more than the right Of abode stamped into her Thai passport .

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

The op claims to have a right to live in the UK, but has an Australian passport for some unknown reason and furthermore lives in Thailand for yet another unknown reason.

That's perfectly normal. ?

My parents are English immigrants to Australia. I was born in and grew up in Australia. Now contracted in a job based in Thailand. What's not perfectly normal?

1 hour ago, gamini said:

My wife's British passport expired and at that time a new British passport cost a lot more than the right Of abode stamped into her Thai passport .

As renewing her British passport is now cheaper than a new RoA certificate in her Thai one, whether she applies in the UK or Thailand, then presumably she has now done so.

Particularly as a Thai passport is only valid for 5 years, so she would have to apply for a new RoA certificate every 5 years instead of a new British passport every 10!

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:45 AM, Colonel Klink said:

My (former) wife had a UK ROA stamp in her passport based on patriality (British grandparents). Whenever she got a new (NZ) passport, she simply took it to the UK embassy or consulate and had a new ROA stamp placed in it. Was a straight forward process.

Agree,

my son had the ROA in his first passport - The ROA is / was apparently valid for the life of the holder and could be transferred free into new passports. For whatever reason, when we went to renew it into his new passport it was refused and they issued a British passport instead?

6 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Agree,

my son had the ROA in his first passport - The ROA is / was apparently valid for the life of the holder and could be transferred free into new passports. For whatever reason, when we went to renew it into his new passport it was refused and they issued a British passport instead?

Out of interest, how long ago was this? 

6 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Agree,

The Right of Abode itself is, of course, "for life", because the circumstances under which it is acquired can never change, i.e. the origins of parents or grandparents. The Certificate, however, is in recent times only valid for the life of the passport in which it is endorsed. I remember about 5 or 6 years ago on another forum in which I used to take an interest, an Aussie with RoA lost his job in the UK because his Cert. was in an expired passport. It's undeniable that he was legally resident in the UK, but his employers felt they were in danger of a penalty if they continued his employment without current documentation.

It's only in the last 10 years that they stopped people from having a Cert of RoA in their foreign passport and also holding a UK passport, because of the potential for fraud - now it's one or the other. As far as I recall the Cert of RoA also used to have indefinite validity and could be presented in an old passport.  The powers that be have obviously decided now to treat the Certificate as just another 'visa', and priced it accordingly.

I find it hard to credit that they would have refused point blank to issue a Cert. to your son if that's what you really wanted. But it's cheaper now to have a Brit. passport.

I was born in the U.K. but hold Australian citizenship and passport my Thai wife holds Australian citizenship and passport

Never heard of the right of abode but we have visited the U.K. numerous times as recent as last year using Aus passport no need to obtain a visa

They give you six months stay on arrival but stamp the passport no right to work or benefits

On 3/15/2017 at 6:59 PM, thenewgoo said:

I am an Australian passport holder living here in Thailand. I have had a British Right of Abode in my previous passports however I now need to get a new one in my recently renewed Australian passport. I plan to go to the UK in July to visit relatives but would like this Right of Abode renewed before I go there. I won't be back in Australia before then. I have my old expired passports with Right of Abode stickers in them. Has anyone had experience with this situation? Any advice about how to renew  my right of abode while in Thailand appreciated. I've read some people have just taken their old expired passports  and shown this at UK Immigration on arrival without any problems. Sounds risky to me - would rather not.

There seems to be a lot of speculation. 

Wouldn't it be best to go to the  British Embassy and find out for sure!

Rules and regulations change often

Good luck. 

Edited by newcomer01

On 3/18/2017 at 8:51 PM, 7by7 said:

As renewing her British passport is now cheaper than a new RoA certificate in her Thai one, whether she applies in the UK or Thailand, then presumably she has now done so.

Particularly as a Thai passport is only valid for 5 years, so she would have to apply for a new RoA certificate every 5 years instead of a new British passport every 10!

both are very expensive now.

12 hours ago, gamini said:

both are very expensive now.

Apply in UK for a new Certificate of Right of Abode for new Thai passport: £272

Apply for a first or to renew a British passport in UK: £72.50 or £82.50 if using the Post Office check and send service.

So; £272 every 5 years, or £82.50 every 10 years?

(Fees quoted are correct at time of posting; they will both inevitably increase over time.)

13 hours ago, newcomer01 said:

There seems to be a lot of speculation. 

Wouldn't it be best to go to the  British Embassy and find out for sure!

Rules and regulations change often

Good luck. 

Rules and regulations; procedures and fees do change; sometimes often.

A link to the current Home Office guidance on the requirements and how to apply, from both inside and outside the UK was given by Tony M in post 3!

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:26 PM, Tony M said:

This might help :

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/apply-for-a-certificate-of-entitlement

You must apply online using the ‘Apply for a UK visa’ service.