F1 2017

Mosha

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qualifying - Hamilton edges Vettel for China pole

Lewis Hamilton claimed his sixth successive pole position on Saturday, as he pulled out all the stops to top qualifying for the 2017 Formula 1 Heineken Chinese Grand Prix, after Ferrari had led the first two phases of the session. It was another close fight between Mercedes and the Scuderia, with Sebastian Vettel splitting the silver cars, only a tenth off Hamilton and just a thousandth of a second ahead of Valtteri Bottas in third.

Capture_52.JPG

Read more here.

If it is raining tomorrow and they start from the Grid ... it could be somewhat interesting. I hope that half the cars don't get wiped out before they get to the first corner ...  

On 07/04/2017 at 7:52 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Such a shame Nico Rosberg left F1, he did such a great race in 2016.

Lewis Hamilton is not a team player and not worthy of the title.

Not sure about the not worthy bit, he is clearly one of the three best drivers on the grid at present and in the opinion of many ... the best. NR only won because of LH's 'unbelievable  bad luck' with his engines and some poor grid starts. LH is a racer and a good one. Far cleaner than Schumacher by far, and like him he excels in the wet, as does Alonso ... can you say that about Mr 'DON'T FORGET TO TURN' ... 

Edited by JAS21

10 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Not sure about the not worthy bit, he is clearly one of the three best drivers on the grid at present and in the opinion of many ... the best. NR only won because of LH's 'unbelievable  bad luck' with his engines and some poor grid starts. LH is a racer and a good one. Far cleaner than Schumacher by far, and like him he excels in the wet, as does Alonso ... can you say that about Mr 'DON'T FORGET TO TURN' ... 

Yeah, he should learn to turn his car.

If it is raining tomorrow and they start from the Grid ... it could be somewhat interesting. I hope that half the cars don't get wiped out before they get to the first corner ...  

The main thing is they have a solution if the medevac chopper can't fly due to low clouds.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

Hamilton relishing Sunday rain, despite ‘going in blind’

Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton says he is 'so excited' about the prospect of a rain-hit race in China on Sunday, regardless of his almost total lack of experience of Pirelli's new 2017 wet tyre compounds.

Hamilton, who took pole in the dry on Saturday, said his only reference points come from two 'slow' installation laps in the wet on Friday in Shanghai, during which he failed to set a time.

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel managed likewise - while in contrast Valtteri Bottas in the second Mercedes ran four laps on Friday, but also took part in the official wet tyre simulations during pre-season testing, when he racked up 68 laps.

"Tomorrow is going to be an unusual day... it's going to be wet potentially, and I haven't driven the wet tyre this year," Hamilton said. "So tomorrow will be a new lesson for me.

"It's super exciting for me because we're really fighting these guys, having to raise the bar every time we go out - it's amazing. And I think Ferrari's race pace is a step up [over their one-lap pace], particularly when it's warm, so it will be interesting to see what the weather brings.

"Whatever the case I think it will be close, and that bodes well for one of the most exciting races..."

Hamilton also said the new regulations mandating standing starts in adverse conditions - rather than a rolling start commencing once the safety car pulls in - will heighten the tension and drama.

"It's also exciting as the starts are so much harder than before," he explained. "I think there will be a lot of variability - a lot of people struggling to get away due to wheelspin.

"You have to drop the clutch with no reference points, aiming for 100 percent - but you're just guessing. And the difference between two percent can make a big difference to your start."

Read more here.

Currently the air temperature is 12C, which is one of the coldest races ever.

No rain predicted in the first 30 minutes of the race.