Suthep insists on reforms before poll

rooster59

2 hours ago, gamini said:

Some TV posters on this forum  dislike Suthep and consequently  they post a lot of hateful opinionated views on him.( and it seems that they post similar veiws on a lot of others). But they are completely irrelevant because he still has the support of a huge number of Thais. They Just can't accept this fact.  He may  even have enough support to become the next Prime Minister. !!

Clearly the intent of this post is to Troll

1 hour ago, tbthailand said:

It's been almost 3 years, ... the reforms should be finished any day now, .... 

Finished? Have they even started yet? All I have seen is the formation of multiple layers of assemblies, committees and sub-committees. As of now, there is no evidence of a single, tangible reform that has even started.

2 hours ago, gamini said:

Some TV posters on this forum  dislike Suthep and consequently  they post a lot of hateful opinionated views on him.( and it seems that they post similar veiws on a lot of others). But they are completely irrelevant because he still has the support of a huge number of Thais. They Just can't accept this fact.  He may  even have enough support to become the next Prime Minister. !!

The only way the mad monk with become PM is if his puppet, Prayuth uses his section 44 magic wand.

1 minute ago, brucec64 said:

Finished? Have they even started yet? All I have seen is the formation of multiple layers of assemblies, committees and sub-committees. As of now, there is no evidence of a single, tangible reform that has even started.

While I mostly agree, I must admit that the road police are not asking for bribes very often around where I live anyway. This really had to cut into their earnings.

24 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

Suthep and the Junta have been repeating the word reform ad nauseum because it sounded good and suggested they were progressive (and not the reactionary force they are indeed). Actually they had absolutely no idea of reforms to conduct and have been unable to phrase anything more than general blah blah.

1 hour ago, brucec64 said:

Now don't be so negative. Deck chairs disappeared from the beaches for a while,  they might have created some bicycle lanes,  they almost managed to arrest that monk fellow, and they are pioneering what appears to be an innovative new fiscal policy, helping themselves to the assets of anyone who is sufficiently wealthy to attract their attention, but is not a member of the enormously wealthy group whom they serve.

Oh yes, and more tourists than there are human beings on the planet are expected to visit Thailand......

7 hours ago, yellowboat said:

But not fans of the Thai people and fairly elected governments. 

Certainly the Thai people, maybe fairly (and that means no vote buying, threats, intimidation etc by any side) elected governments.

But definitely not against a crime family and its clan and cronies running things and ignoring the law as they please whilst enriching themselves.

5 hours ago, gamini said:

Sadly Thai Prime Ministers do not need a popular mandate these days....just the backing of the military.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

IMHO I think it has gone around at least three times and it is now working in reverse.

if they could spin it  fast enough and throw  all of them in there maybe it could make mincemeat of them all

Edited by kannot

42 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Sadly Thai Prime Ministers do not need a popular mandate these days....just the backing of the military.

You say that because the number of coup PMs exceed elected PMs and more years under military governments than elected governments? 

The thing that impressed me the most about Suthep and his protest "Shut down Bangkok", etc... was, the marches.

He walked on his on two feet for miles and miles. Some of the walks were during the hot season in heat similar to what we are experiencing today.

I was very impressed with this. The longest I have walked in this heat is probably 4 miles when my motorbike got a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere and I was shattered the next day, my muscled ached for a week after.

Then, after marching mile after mile in the evening Suthep would host a 2 hour show near MBK and nearly everytime after the show take part in a dance on stage. Wow, the energy of this guy. It was like he had super human strength.

Does anyone know if he suffers from bi-polar disorder? A manic high could explain this 4-5 month super human abilities. Grandioso ideas, super human strength, paranoid rants, the unwillingness to listen to reason. Then the after manic phase, he went to be a monk, worn out, time to come down, chill out, lithium time, stop those thoughts racing.

Now he's back in the headlines! I should check those lithium levels in his blood are stable. I do worry about him.

7 hours ago, gamini said:

Of course he has enough support one day to become PM. Only needs a few hundred members of the Army. The North and Northeast wouldn't vote for the crook and the Muslims in the Deep South too wouldn't vote for him. Leaves him only in some Central regions and of course Samui and Phuket but the Singha Girl might have a shot for it.

Well, know we've had it straight from the horse's mouth that this is what the PDRC wanted. Don't let anyone try to twist the story in the future when the "reforms" are a failure and the country eventually reaches an impasse that is even worse.

A military dictatorship cannot reform a country for the better, and a military cannot successfully run a 21st century nation state. If they could, there would be no need for all the lying, censorship, propaganda, repression, and fake polls. This is common sense to people who haven't been living under a coconut shell their whole lives. 

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Certainly the Thai people, maybe fairly (and that means no vote buying, threats, intimidation etc by any side) elected governments.

But definitely not against a crime family and its clan and cronies running things and ignoring the law as they please whilst enriching themselves.

The "crime family" was always toppled and never tried.  Suthep and the junta never actually did anything lawfully and gave themselves immunity once the streets were secure with men carrying guns.  You speak of all these trespasses and never of due process or universal suffrage.  The vote buying is what all coup apologist say, but if there was proof, there should have been a trial.  Complain all you like and tell us Suthep is legitimate because people "like" him.  Let him run for office then instead of helping the army usurp power. 

Edited by yellowboat

9 hours ago, gamini said:

Didn't you say , about 18 months ago , that if elections were not held by 2017 then you would admit that you had been decieved ?

11 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Funny, you were supportive of the blatantly unfair referendum on the constitution and the results announced by the junta after the junta did the vote count with no independent monitors. 

Regarding crime families, are we talking about career military families, corrupt "former" politicians such as Suthep (who clearly can't stay out of politics) or something else?  Oh wait, you posted "ignoring the law as they please whilst enriching themselves."  Clearly you meant military families.

13 hours ago, MobileContent said:

Deep South too wouldn't vote for him.

Historically, the South has voted overwhelmingly Democrat in elections, in part I believe because of the financial support from rubber plantation owners for Suthep. However, currently it appears that Suthep may have divided the Democrats over Abhisit's leadership. This might lead to a new political party .... but politics is about power and both might collaborate to regain it. Depends on if Suthep wants the PM.

18 hours ago, Reigntax said:

The only way the mad monk with become PM is if his puppet, Prayuth uses his section 44 magic wand.

Aren't there three other options under the 2016 Constitution once it's endorsed?

• The coup-derived Constitutional Court can appoint a PM due to unresolvable political conflict in the NLA
  • The Senate controlled by NCPO appointments that will include NCPO members can nominate an unelected PM
  • The RTM can legally overthrow any elected government if national security is potentially at risk

22 hours ago, brucec64 said:

ah, almost as if that was never really the point.... 

:smile:

1 hour ago, tbthailand said:

ah, almost as if that was never really the point.... 

:smile:

Yes, the National Reform Steering Assembly (sounds like a major component on a vehicle) seems to have - when they've chosen to actually "work" - have the wheel in full lock so they they just go round and round in one circle.

Reform #1: persecute any/all politicians on the "other side" so that they are disqualified from running for office - the new charter spells out the various/sundry "disqualifications".

Reform #2: get rid of any/all unacceptable religious sects.

Reform #3: insure continuing rule under the green-tinted veneer of democracy by using a new charter, "organic" laws and a 20 year mandatory plan.

Mission accomplished.

Reforms you will like, or else.

On 3/18/2017 at 10:52 AM, JAG said:

When you say "because he still has the support of a huge number of Thais. They Just can't accept this fact.." are you referring (they) to the Thais or the posters?

If  the former, why, it is a very accurate summary of how Suthep sees himself!

I am referring to the TV posters, like you.

I am referring to the TV posters, like you.

In which case I think you are flat wrong. Far more Thais are opposed to Suthep than support him.
That is why he prevented the election.
That is why, when he was a senior figure in conventional (electoral) politics the party he dominated repeatedly failed to win elections.