Can a farang do home remodeling on GF house w/o work visa?

1 minute ago, chickenslegs said:

Some people just take a newspaper in there to pass the time.

No BiB will spot me working in there chummy.....In fact I have a garden full of local bicycles for repair in my bog....What an earner..........great.gif

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Problem with Trans is when he is working he starts singing and then people start talking and they come from miles around to listen so he cant hide nothing.:shock1:

Noooooo, they throw stones. Mrs.Trans has barred me from singing in the bog whilst at work....Dunno why.....My CD is sought after...Yours is in the mail as requested...:guitar:

• Like 1

If one of the neighbors spots the OP working on more complicated tasks, the OP could be in deep doo-doo. I'm sure the whole neighborhood keeps note of when I fart, and I'm not unduly noisy.

Flipping may possibly work with higher value properties e.g. 5 - 10 million baht. Doubt if it would work with houses below that level.

The ghost thing is very real for many village Thais. I drove past a really big abandoned mansion in a remote part of the village and my Thai GF was begging me to speed up for a change.

I have a suggestion for Trans - why don't you enlarge your bog so you can work on your vehicles.:sorry:

• Like 1

you can work in your own place, and if your thai gf has 10 houses then you can help her in all. many foreigners have diffent houses and condos and rent them out, maintain then and take care of them, no problem ....  all the smart people here who tell you you can get arrested and deported can npt give you any proven example for it. Yes in Thailand you can get in trouble very easy but also without doing anything wrong

27 minutes ago, chickenrunCM said:

you can work in your own place, and if your thai gf has 10 houses then you can help her in all. many foreigners have diffent houses and condos and rent them out, maintain then and take care of them, no problem ....  all the smart people here who tell you you can get arrested and deported can npt give you any proven example for it. Yes in Thailand you can get in trouble very easy but also without doing anything wrong

well thanks for your expert advice but here's the law:

These are some of the prohibitive categories and I include the one which has 'building services'

Category A:

• Agriculture: rice farming, salt farming;
  • Service Business: accounting, farming animals, architecture, hair dressing, barber & beautician industry, advertising, brokerage & auctioning, building industry;
  • Commercial Business: land trade, internal trade in local agricultural products

Section 7 : The work permit must be for a position that a Thai cannot do and that the position which the foreigner holds as seen as valuable in the development of Thailand. It also notes that you have to state your location of employment meaning you can only work at the location your work permit allows you to work.

Section 8: The foreigner must have a place to stay in Thailand temporary and has not arrived in Thailand as a tourist or a transit passenger. This brings up the issue or converting a tourist visa to a normal visa. This sections rules it out and you see why you have to leave Thailand for a proper visa for the work permit.

Section 24: You must have your work permit on you at all times while at work. As noted above there is a fine for not having your work permit on you while at work.

You are WRONG to say "if your GF had 10 houses you can help in all"  dangerous advice and I wonder why TVF allow it to remain here. Do small stuff in your own home, quietly, and it's very unlikely there would be a problem but your suggestion is advocating breaking the law and I suggest you remove it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chickenrunCM said:

You sure about that?

You mention: "...  all the smart people here who tell you you can get arrested and deported can npt give you any proven example for it."  Actually over the several decades I've been here many cases have made the news. 

You say: "... you can work in your own place, and if your thai gf has 10 houses then you can help her in all. "

Since you say '' ....all the smart people... cannot give examples...", perhaps you can lead by giving examples to support your 'positive' statement'. 

1 hour ago, chickenrunCM said:

"if your thai gf has 10 houses then you can help her in all." you can but you would be breaking the law.

12 hours ago, kowpot said:

Flipping houses in Thailand would be a new concept to Thai's I would think. Thai's are not real big on buying second hand homes. That is why there are a lot of vacant houses. 

I always thought the government could relax standards on foreigners by allowing them to buy and own a used houses. Then flipping houses could be very profitable. Also, it would make some Mu Baans with empty houses look better.

The law states that a foreigner cannot do the work that a Thai person could do.  Take it from there. I know that doesn't actually answer your question very well. 

I mow my own lawn and I haven't been arrested yet. So, I guess you can do anything until someone complains. 

Your post is far too sensible for Thailand.

9 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

There was a news story out of Phuket a few years ago where a couple of guys were "flipping" boats. Neighbors got annoyed by the constant whine of grinders and sanders, called the cops. 

These two guys said "We love boats! It's our hobby!" but there was plenty of evidence that they were constantly selling them on. They were arrested, though as usual there was no follow-up reporting on the case. 

They were advertising the boats for sale as they were being built.  That doesn't seem like a hobby.  Yes, would be interesting to see a followup story.

It is a bit ridiculous to imply that we can be in trouble for doing handyman work on the house we are inhabiting.

I did a number of things last year, including painting the interior, repairing flood damage to the walls and stairs, removing old installations.

I didn't get paid for it and I spent my own money on everything.  

I was doing it because I enjoy doing these sorts of things, and if I hadn't done it, there is no damn way that the GF would have hired someone to do it.  

So no, I was not taking a job away from anyone.

And if I can get in trouble for just finding ways to improve the home I am staying in and also doing things I enjoy doing, then it's not really worth living there.

The word absurd comes to mind regarding anyone who would bring trouble to a man for enjoying painting, refurbishing, or repairing a home.

it is an interesting and stiffling law.

I mean I may live another 30 (35 is the plan and die broke at 92 with my pants down.) healthy years and many retired  men enjoy doing hobbies other than bar sitting that may make a few bucks in retirement.  to be told anything along those lines is not legal and needing a work permit is just crazy. I read about the boat builders.

To think that making yard sculptures, welding jobs in the garage, even doing your own auto repair or home repairs past some invisible line with the punishment meaning jail or deportation for ever with probably no warning sure is a crazy thing.   Just think what benefits having many of us farang being an example  of a hard  work ethic and competition might due for the GDP? 

Edited by Elkski

I am pretty sure that if flipping houses became common you would have a problem.  Remember a few years ago a fellow that fixed up and sold a boat got in trouble for doing that, can't recall if the main objection was not a work permit, or making money without a permit or what the exact charges were. I am sure the problems could be worse if buying, fixing and then selling a house for profit was brought up

17 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The law and it's interpretation is purposefully vague. The intent of the law is to keep westerners from taking jobs from Thais, but It doesn't specifically say you can't, for instance paint your bedroom. However if you got the attention of the wrong person, you could be out for doing just that.

That being said, flipping houses is an interesting idea. Thais don't like to buy used houses, but maybe they would buy restored houses. You would have to due diligence and confirm that the house has no ghosts. Ghost removal might be an approved occupation here.

Methinks you will find that the only people who can remove ghosts are a buncha monks ( using a buncha YOUR money ) and a long ceremony, along with ample food and drink of course. My relative had some ghosts removed from his bar, a friend had ghosts removed from a house he bought. Also had a friend who bought two old teakwood houses, had them torn down, then built one larger house using the wood from the two houses. Big mistake!! NONE of the villagers would enter the house until it was "cleansed/purified" by a group of monks. It seems that ghosts from both houses could not reside there together with each other. By the way, the ceremony at the bar HAD to have the presence of the bar owners, as well as many workers and as many regular customers as possible.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about all the farang in the farming in thailand forum who are growing rubber trees and or trying to make multi crop farms profitable.  Maybe they form a company and just employees with Thai ownership?

On 3/17/2017 at 4:42 PM, canuckamuck said:

The law and it's interpretation is purposefully vague. The intent of the law is to keep westerners from taking jobs from Thais, but It doesn't specifically say you can't, for instance paint your bedroom. However if you got the attention of the wrong person, you could be out for doing just that.

That being said, flipping houses is an interesting idea. Thais don't like to buy used houses, but maybe they would buy restored houses. You would have to due diligence and confirm that the house has no ghosts. Ghost removal might be an approved occupation here.

I'm pretty sure there are enough Thai ghost removers already here. And as for the op I can say that my neighbours are all quite amused when they see me painting my gf's house or working in the yard. No one has reported me yet. But if you were flipping houses-the neighbours wouldn't know who you were and you may then be reported for doing a Thai's job.

If you want to own a house in Thailand, start a corporation.  You will own 49% and 51%, which must be Thai owned, you have split up between 3 or 4 Thais you know that don't know each other.  They also presign a document transferring their shares to <to be filled in later>, so you can transfer ownership of their shares to whoever you want, whenever you want. Then the "Thai" corporation owns the house but you effectively control the corporation.  Walk down any street in Bangkok and you'll see homes owned by Indian companies, Japanese companies, etc.  Talk to a lawyer, preferably with some farang staff who can explain in native English.  It will cost more, but much safer than putting the house in your gf's name, which so many people stupidly do.

You can even have the corporation sign for your work visa, if it makes enough money.  Talk to a lawyer because that part I don't know very well.

1 minute ago, uchibenkei said:

If you want to own a house in Thailand, start a corporation.  You will own 49% and 51%, which must be Thai owned, you have split up between 3 or 4 Thais you know that don't know each other.  They also presign a document transferring their shares to <to be filled in later>, so you can transfer ownership of their shares to whoever you want, whenever you want. Then the "Thai" corporation owns the house but you effectively control the corporation.  Walk down any street in Bangkok and you'll see homes owned by Indian companies, Japanese companies, etc.  Talk to a lawyer, preferably with some farang staff who can explain in native English.  It will cost more, but much safer than putting the house in your gf's name, which so many people stupidly do.

You can even have the corporation sign for your work visa, if it makes enough money.  Talk to a lawyer because that part I don't know very well.

And I add, the actual company registration costs etc., to start a simple Thai company are quite small. Yes It's worth getting some advice from a lawyer or accountant or business agency in regard to some aspects of what your aiming to set up (see below).

But don't fall for the smart quick talking lawyer stuff that the registration fees are very expensive, application can only be submitted by a certain type of lawyer, fees for lawyers to do complex searches are massive etc., it's not true at all.

Actually you can't find plenty of accountants and other business agencies who are well versed in this subject and can do it all, easily and quickly and legally, many charging quite small fees.

Additionally at the end of each financial year the company must submit an annual report to the Thai Companies Office, plus annual tax and audit documents., etc., the accountant can do all of these things so getting a good accountant in the picture from before start up is worthwhile.

In regard to you working for the company it should be a company which has been set up stating that the type of business is XXX, ensuring that the type of business or work stated is such that it can justify having a farang employee.

And remember that if your working for the company, regardless of whether your shown as the CEO, the GM, the COO, an adviser, or a big or a small shareholder you still need a work permit (work permit not work visa). 

I have used dating sites and I seemed to be able to sort out above average Thai women who own houses.

I wont be buying any houses in a woman's name unless we have years of history together... I have read all of the bad stories.   But I have read something about you can own the house but not the land?.  Do you need a corporation to do that?  I think you don't but just some legal document (Yes in English) on how you will split this asset if you part ways.

I thank This TV site in helping educate me on most of the scams... trust but verify and remember around the corner is another lady waiting for me.

I don't plan to freeload off of a woman.. I would surely contribute my share in the expenses and maybe even pay her a fair rent. or use that money to make improvements. AT the minimum I would hope a thai womans family and friends would appreciate a hard working farang.

Edited by Elkski

On 3/18/2017 at 5:44 AM, Elkski said:

I'm just thinking of things to keep me busy and I enjoy this sort of work.   Maybe if I just do her house to sell then fix up the next one she buys. I doubt these two house projects would cause  an issue.   I will be careful with my money.  I will just invest what I think is fair rent.  Just trying to understand things better. I thought for sure someone would say why would you use your own sweat when you can hire labor so cheaply. 

"Can a farang do home remodeling on GF house w/o work visa?"

He can, but it would be illegal without a work permit and he cannot get this permit for this type of work.

On ‎18‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 2:38 AM, daveAustin said:

Thais do buy secondhand; the spirit thing is more the lower folk, those with their head screwed on couldn't give a monkeys. It's all about if it's a good moobahn or not. They also flip.

Working on 'own' house (one you're living in) shouldn't be an issue. Spent years sorting 'mine', doing everything - paint, building work, hard landscaping, electrics, plumbing, you name it - and everyone knew. As said, it's all about getting the attention of the wrong sort, or if a neighbour has a bee in their bonnet. But I would do this again, and flip, without a second thought. It's quite easy to beautify a house here and make it look better than others in the street even with a tiny bit of imagination because most other houses languish. Banks have the best deals... get friendly with them.

RE ...and everyone knew.

...obviously NOT...;)

On 18/3/2560 at 5:54 AM, Elkski said:

Just curious oh if I could do home repair in say a GF home that I am living in?

Sorry if this isn't the best place for this?

Then what would happen if she sold this house shortly thereafter?

What if this became a pattern of her buying buying fixer uppers and flipping them?

Just figured it couldn't hurt to find where the grey area turns dark..

Houses do not go up in value, the same as USA. You will be lucky to get your money back. Thai's don't like buying resale house. Afraid of ghosts.

I've halfway through, making and building a long, wardrobe for our house. Ive never seen an actual Timber yard over here which sells sawn or prepared timber.Its a custom made wardrobe, and it will give space to a lot of stuff in our bedroom that needs stacking.I ended up going to 'Home Do, and had to sift through endless 8x4 sheets of 15 mil ply, and countless lengths of straight 40x20 and70 x 30, to find anything even relatively straight.I managed to get the uprights and cross pieces, tight to the wall, but i still had to silicone the gaps.I spent some years in the commercial and domestic building industry and i found that i haven't lost my touch.The wife is impressed, because she would have settled for the flat pack, or already made crap that the big stores tend to sell,and her sisters have never seen built in stuff before.

And to tell the truth, i did it myself, because the guys i have seen here, just wouldnt be able to do it as good as i have.And i am not willing to accept Thai style work, end up with a shit job, and face a defamation suit, if i complain.

defamation?  if you complain in person?  or on social network?

so hard to find nice straight kiln lumber?

you are doing illegal work dave..

perhaps you can post a picture of your wife's handiwork. :stoner: