Ever wondered about the price of vegetables?

Trujillo

58d3628c041a8_RoyalProjectcaliflower.JPG.56d4ff0481f4a4b0d55177b01014e2b1.JPG

Two big heads of cauliflower -- 38 baht. 

58d362c2c5b2e_RoyalProjecteggplant.JPG.4d58e32646f7cc177675748d8f46aaea.JPG

Eleven large egg plants -- 10 baht. 

58d362e50084f_RoyalProjectlettace.JPG.e2086a8fd5280b34816f5210395d8498.JPG

Seven large, tight heads of lettuce -- 20 baht. 

58d36311736cf_RoyalProjecttomatoes.JPG.aec1200633b172ed395b49301b68b1f1.JPG

Large sack of cherry tomatoes -- 20 baht; 15 tomatoes -- 36 baht. 

These were purchased at the Royal Project shop near Wat Phrathat Doi Kham.

So we've got quite a mark-up here; for example, a head of lettuce at the market in Central Festival is 30 baht (or more), and the ones I purchased were 2.86 baht a head. 

Many people go there to sell in the market, and with these sorts of mark-ups, it's no wonder. 

Royal Project CMU is one of the best things about living up here.  Most of their stuff is grown right there....about fifty times cleaner and better than Ton Payom....the girls at the registers have an attitude, though ,and show an absolute minimum of politeness.   80 for a Kg of potatoes is a huge jump from the 15 pound bags that were two for a Dollar in Eureka, CA a few years back.

4 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Those prices are very cheap. The gf has an irrigated 3 rai garden of various vegetables and at those prices it would not cover the costs. I thought the local wholesalers were taking her for a ride, but maybe not.

In the west the price that you see in the grocery store is vastly more than the wholesale price paid to farmers....  Which is why anything that puts more money in the actual farmers hands is well worth the effort (if you actually care about the people farming the products). 

The problem is the price of potatoes and onions, someone's making a lot of profit 

on them,

regards worgeordie          P.S. I wish they would start to grow Parsnips and Swedes too

Edited by worgeordie
add on

Every week, me and mrs Kaen, go tothe market in Nam Phong. I always buy my chicken and pork there, because its good, and often i will buy some pigs kidneys.We then go to the wet fish stall and buy out chicken breasts and our Barmuk.I spend about 200 baht for the chicken, barmuk and a bag of cockels, which i mix with vinegar and pepper and puts me right back in the East End when i eat them.

The veges are cheap enough, we pay 80/90 baht for toms,chillis, cucumbers, pots and onions. And the green beans are fab.Where we shop is dirt cheap. Cabbages and spring onions are Pennies.My veg bill is about 150 baht.We go to the same woman every time, and get the odd stuff for nothing. even her Pots are nice and firm.Good for making mash or pot salad, or just plain boiling.This week, i even got some easy scrapers.

Sooo glad we came to live here.

On 3/23/2017 at 7:04 PM, ripstanley said:

In Chiang Rai the Royal Project shop has a packet of sting beans for 15 baht. Big C has the same size bag at 59 baht.

Was in Chiang Rai today and visited The Royal Project shop. The beans are now 20 Baht. Still very good value.Did not visit Big C

On 3/23/2017 at 8:18 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Every week, me and mrs Kaen, go tothe market in Nam Phong. I always buy my chicken and pork there, because its good, and often i will buy some pigs kidneys.We then go to the wet fish stall and buy out chicken breasts and our Barmuk.I spend about 200 baht for the chicken, barmuk and a bag of cockels, which i mix with vinegar and pepper and puts me right back in the East End when i eat them.

The veges are cheap enough, we pay 80/90 baht for toms,chillis, cucumbers, pots and onions. And the green beans are fab.Where we shop is dirt cheap. Cabbages and spring onions are Pennies.My veg bill is about 150 baht.We go to the same woman every time, and get the odd stuff for nothing. even her Pots are nice and firm.Good for making mash or pot salad, or just plain boiling.This week, i even got some easy scrapers.

Sooo glad we came to live here.

The problem is that you are buying produce which has been saturated in dangerous chemicals. The OP refers to Doi Kham in which is organic produce. No chemicals at all.

On 3/23/2017 at 6:58 PM, bazza73 said:

<deleted>? Vegetables are cheaper in the dalat nats than just about anywhere else on the planet, and you guys are worrying about the price of them? Get a life.

But they are sprayed with copious amounts of dangerous chemicals. Doi Kham is very cheap and organic.

elektrified

Chemicals, shemicals. I couldnt care less if they had been dipped in acid.They taste good, they are washed before we eat them and i came here to get away from all that nanny,'this isn't good for you and, all the 'do you know what they really contain' crap. Ive lived long enough on a few oily rags, a good few beers, my bottles of whiskey that i have every week, and every thing else that, supposedly,will kill me.I'm not gonna stop now.As long as its warm, and my woman is still hot, what more could i want? I certainly am not going to worry about, a few chemicals for the time that i have left.In my life, i have got through a tumour, a spine injury, and a very nasty dose of dengue fever.Do i want to live forever? No, i do not, so please excuse me up and down the street, if i enjoy myself while i am still drawing breath.

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

elektrified

Chemicals, shemicals. I couldnt care less if they had been dipped in acid.They taste good, they are washed before we eat them and i came here to get away from all that nanny,'this isn't good for you and, all the 'do you know what they really contain' crap. Ive lived long enough on a few oily rags, a good few beers, my bottles of whiskey that i have every week, and every thing else that, supposedly,will kill me.I'm not gonna stop now.As long as its warm, and my woman is still hot, what more could i want? I certainly am not going to worry about, a few chemicals for the time that i have left.In my life, i have got through a tumour, a spine injury, and a very nasty dose of dengue fever.Do i want to live forever? No, i do not, so please excuse me up and down the street, if i enjoy myself while i am still drawing breath.

If you are not washing the vegetables in sodium bicarbonate as advised by the Thai government, you are ingesting high does of chemicals. Up to you.

I was in the fresh market yesterday and saw only one person selling the large eggplants (actually, she only had three), and instead of 11 large ones for 10 baht, she offered one for 20 baht. 

Cost of basically 1 baht, for sale for 20 baht? Wow...amazing Thailand. 

And this thread is not about washing food, fyi. Please look at the subject line. 

elektrified

Not only am i not washing them in bi carbonate of soda, but heres the thing that will really give you the horrors, We wash them in simple tap water, which having been over here for 17 years, i am able to drink,clean my teeth in and put in my black coffee to take the burn off of it.

And you are perfectly correct, it's sooooo up to me.

I would think by now, i have built up a natural immunity to some of the stuff you are on about

I would say, that you reply yo people who really care.

Have a nice day:coffee1:

17 hours ago, elektrified said:

If you are not washing the vegetables in sodium bicarbonate as advised by the Thai government, you are ingesting high does of chemicals. Up to you.

Can anybody clarify this ? I don't believe that washing vegetables that have been sprayed for months with chemicals will clear them of any chemical...

Can anybody clarify this ? I don't believe that washing vegetables that have been sprayed for months with chemicals will clear them of any chemical...

The Gf soaked them in vinegar and water for 10 mins.. I couldn't be bothered, just rinse under water.

23 minutes ago, BsBs said:

It will remove any which are on the surface. Those sprayed while the crop was growing - not a hope in Halifax. They are now absorbed into the fruit/veg itself. Find a doctor with a bone in his nose - maybe he can do something to remove them.