Before marriage, tips how to protect myself?

howard ashoul

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

So now the decision is for "visa reasons", you really need to step back and think on this as your "reasons" and actions appear to be for all the wrong ones to be getting married to anyone.

Reasson of marriage is to get visa.

So I can continue living my life with her.

Nothing wrong with that. And nothing wrong with being cautious and ask for a advice how to protect myself if things go south in the future.

Just now, howard ashoul said:

Reasson of marriage is to get visa.

So I can continue living my life with her.

Nothing wrong with that. And nothing wrong with being cautious and ask for a advice how to protect myself if things go south in the future.

Agreed ashoul. Marriage is  "just a peice of paper" was my attitude for most of my life as well and sort of still is. However, in these situations it is a peice of paper that will allow you and your wife to live together in your country or hers without the hassle of tourist visas and the like. I also agree there is nothing wrong with that.

3 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

We are living together for 5 years.

It's not "yesterday I felt in love and tomorrow we are getting married" scenario.

Based on your own words, I reaffirm my suggestion to you.  You could live with her for another 5 years and I don't think you would even know anything more than you know today. I wish you luck but there is lots being said here with your respond that you will need all the luck in the world to make it work. Personally you sound clueless.

Good luck,

Edited by thailand49

57 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Based on your own words, I reaffirm my suggestion to you.  You could live with her for another 5 years and I don't think you would even know anything more than you know today. I wish you luck but there is lots being said here with your respond that you will need all the luck in the world to make it work. Personally you sound clueless.

Good luck,

sounds like another lamb to the slaughter. no helping some people.

I am a lawyer and will never marry again. When you marry you enter a legal contract controlled by a judge. No matter what prenup you have signed ( yes get a prenup) her lawyer can still sue your ass to break the prenup and cost you a fortune. What I personally have decided is if I love someone then live with them but never ever allow a judge to control my money and never ever allow a mad woman's expensive lawyer to cost me a small fortune. If yo I love her and she loves you then absolutely no reason to involve the courts in your life by signing a piece of legal paper. My two cents. 

I recommend you be Boy Friend and Girl Friend lovers for about 5 years first.....while in that time frame you will know well enough if you can live with her and tolerate her and or can she tolerate you.

Seriously...but do what ever you want and you will learn either way...

Cheers

On 3/25/2017 at 8:55 PM, howard ashoul said:

I'm about to get married next month. Since I'm not under illusion, that my wife is special, I'm thinking about protecting myself.

I'm about to contact lawyer to write prenup. And so far I came to this:

• prenup in both english and thai, so she can't claim she didn't understand it
  • statement that we are both debt free
  • list of my current assets (2 bank accounts, motorbike, my websites)
  • condition, that non of us can borrow sum larger than 1000B without written consent of another one (since we can specify in prenup how finances will be handled during marriage)

Do you have any advice? What should I do before marriage or what should I ask lawyer to include into prenup?

Only any agreement or documents written in Thai will be considered in anyThai court.

19 hours ago, sikishrory said:

Regarding the prenup. I had one drawn up by a lawyer in bkk for 10,000 baht.

Are we allowed to name and shame? 

During the whole (rushed) process I was only talking with receptionists and a young man who seemed clueless and was literally just being a middle man relaying documents and information to a lawyer sotting out the back.

When it came time to presnt the prenups at the amphur (they must be registered at this point only) the lady rejected them saying that the lawyer was supposed to attend and sign as well. So I wasted 10k and am now also married without a prenup.

Make sure your actually talking to an office that will allow give you some time to talk with a lawyer.

good luck with that one mate, i have a feeling your gonna need it down the road a bit.

13 hours ago, Wake Up said:

I am a lawyer and will never marry again. When you marry you enter a legal contract controlled by a judge. No matter what prenup you have signed ( yes get a prenup) her lawyer can still sue your ass to break the prenup and cost you a fortune. What I personally have decided is if I love someone then live with them but never ever allow a judge to control my money and never ever allow a mad woman's expensive lawyer to cost me a small fortune. If yo I love her and she loves you then absolutely no reason to involve the courts in your life by signing a piece of legal paper. My two cents. 

one of the best peaces of advise in this post, if only men were smart enough to take notice.

On 25/03/2017 at 8:55 PM, howard ashoul said:

I'm about to get married next month. Since I'm not under illusion, that my wife is special, I'm thinking about protecting myself.

I'm about to contact lawyer to write prenup. And so far I came to this:

• prenup in both english and thai, so she can't claim she didn't understand it
  • statement that we are both debt free
  • list of my current assets (2 bank accounts, motorbike, my websites)
  • condition, that non of us can borrow sum larger than 1000B without written consent of another one (since we can specify in prenup how finances will be handled during marriage)

Do you have any advice? What should I do before marriage or what should I ask lawyer to include into prenup?

If this is how you feel about the relationship, why on earth are you contemplating marriage?

23 hours ago, khunPer said:

Agree with user taiping, to my knowledge the right way to do it.

The book "Thai Law for Foreigners" (ISBN 978-1-887521-57-4) mention it in page 62-63, and especially the Thai translation part, so the Thai partner understand it (shall be read to her). The book also says, that

"A prenuptial agreement is a new concept to Thais. Most don't know about it, al all. It is not common for Thai couples to enter into this type of agreement."

I would agree that a prenup is a new concept to the Thais.  In other words, if the OP puts this piece of paper in front of his soon-to-be-wife, she will read it to mean "I agree to marry you, but as I don't think it will last, I want you to understand that when we divorce, you're getting zilch from me." 

This  thread went totally offtopic.

My question was what should I include in prenup and how should I proceed.

Don't worry about our relationship. We are together 5 years and everything is good. Don't question if one should get married. Don''t worry about prenup. She knows, that we will have prenup and she agrees. We also talked about divorce and we come to agreemend, that we would divorce voluntary without court and sueing each other. But I still want a advice about prenup.

2 minutes ago, howard ashoul said:

Don't worry about our relationship. We are together 5 years and everything is good. Don't question if one should get married. Don''t worry about prenup. She knows, that we will have prenup and she agrees. We also talked about divorce and we come to agreemend, that we would divorce voluntary without court and sueing each other. But I still want a advice about prenup.

Listen ashoul why are you trying to justify yourself? Just go to a lawyer already. Your obviously getting zero help here. 

For prenup you can put pretty much whatever clauses you want in it. Keep in mind they are not going to sit there carefully typing up your prenup for you. They have generic versions that they edit to suit your your requests. You will also need the official thai spelling of your name. You want this to match the spelling on your wedding documents and all official thai documents now and forever more. So if you don't already have it make sure you get it right. Also highly recommend checking at the particular amphur whether the lawyer needs to be present on the day. For Pattaya they need to be there or it will not be accepted. 

14 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

You have come to an agreement with your GF on the conditions of a divorce? Don't be ridiculous. As a lawyer once said to me, money brings out the worst in people. All the good intentions will vanish like a snowflake in a Thai summer when she has the scent of money in her nostrils.

On 2017-03-27 at 4:06 PM, howard ashoul said:

We also talked about divorce and we come to agreemend, that we would divorce voluntary without court and sueing each other. 

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: 

there's your prenup kid, what else do you need, really!?

Marriage should be loving and taken great care of each other forever. Only choose the one that you willing to be with if not don't get marriage. At the end, no one will get any benefits as both parties will suffer and if you have kids, the kids will also suffer in the future.