Illogical thai immigration requirements

Well, whether you like it or not, this is their country, their rules. Same goes for Thai applying Visa entering your country. They have to deal with whatever immigration requirements your country set regardless of what they think of it.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

It's a concession for someone who marries a Thai.

The Baht 65,000 a month is not meant to allow you to live in luxury. It's meant to make sure you have the ability to be of benefit to the Thai economy.

Thailand isn't meant to be a refugee camp for farang who can't afford to live in their own countries.

65k is meant to ensure they won't become a liability, not necessarily a "benefit".  Agree, it also helps keep the riff raff and piss takers at bay.

The 400k/800k Baht documentation is no different than the formal documentation of having in excess of $25-30k USD in income (I forgot the exact figure) I had to provide, along with the signed "affidavit of support" I was required to sign twenty years ago when I "petitioned" the US for permission for my Thai wife to live (join me) in the USA.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no spouse support visa or extension stay. It is an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. You can get a work permit and work to meet the 40k income requirement for an extension of stay application. It is lower than an extension based upon retirement because it is assumed the wife could earn an income to support he family plus it is done on a humanitarian basis not for convenience.

Just thought I'd let you know. I did my yearly extension this morning, Udonthani,. No problem. I had prepared that extra info document, but I wasn't asked for it and I didn't offer.

this is Thailand.

it's a WHO you know country.. not a WHAT you know... none of the rules here need to make any sense at all.... and certainly not by western standards.  

the rules make "sense" simply be being issued by the government.

in the west we generally follow rules because we agree with them... we question them and can usually see some kind of logic... and so we generally comply....

here it's different. you should just comply, and whatever you do don't question things. at all.

Edited by maewang99

25 minutes ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

The 400k/800k Baht documentation is no different than the formal documentation of having in excess of $25-30k USD in income (I forgot the exact figure) I had to provide, along with the signed "affidavit of support" I was required to sign twenty years ago when I "petitioned" the US for permission for my Thai wife to live (join me) in the USA.

Good point.  Although in the US, it's the other way around - US Citizen vouching support for the immigrant.  Can you imagine if that was the policy here?  :shock1:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-support

------

I occasionally roll my eyes at the bureaucracy but, end of the day, IMO, for me, it's not really that onerous.  As long as I don't screw up, my annual extension (marriage) takes a few hours effort over 2 days to prep and submit.  The on-line 90-Day Report, if it's working, is a bonus. 

I do, however, empathize with those who live far from their assigned Immi Office.  They play solemn with Thai drivers for 200 kilometers, maybe screw something up and worse, get an I/O who's in the mood to knit pick......then they hit road again.  Imagine they're about ready to choke the s**t outta somebody after all that!

Another baseless rant. I read the other day that in the UK the spouse needs to earn GP 18 000 to support his/her non UK spouse, that equals B 800 k. The retirement visa/extension can also be for two people, husband and wife, which is B 400 k each which is equal to the visa/extension based on marriage.

6 minutes ago, BlindMagician said:

Isn't there a law that states the minimum income to be paid to a foreigner is 60K? Thought I heard of that quite a few years back.

There is no law that sets a minimum income.

To apply for an extension of stay based upon working for a company at immigration requires a minimum salary of 25k to 50k baht dependent upon nationality.

Completely meaningless discussion. In the end there is a law, as logic or illogical it may appears to be, it needs to be followed. We all wish for something different, but it is what it is. No bickering on our side will change that.   So live with it!

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no law that sets a minimum income.

To apply for an extension of stay based upon working for a company at immigration requires a minimum salary of 25k to 50k baht dependent upon nationality.

Could be right - could be wrong.

http://www.thailandredcat.com/the-minimum-wages-for-foreigners-working-in-thailand/

and

http://www.thailandlawonline.com/thai-company-and-foreign-business-law/work-permit-for-foreigners-in-thailand

From the 10 th of July 2004 , foreigners applying for non-immigrant visa extensions for employment in Thailand will have to meet an increased minimum monthly salary requirement by nationality and amount. It should be noted that this regulation applies to employees in the corporate sector (profit-making business). Employees with lower monthly salaries in other professions, such as teachers, can apply for non-immigrant visa extensions and work permits for employment in Thailand provided that the are able to provide an official letter of confirmation from a relevant government agency.

...but, no point arguing the toss as it's seemingly not enforced.

6 minutes ago, BlindMagician said:

Could be right - could be wrong.

From the police order for extension of stay.

Table of Income for Criteria 2.1(2)
Annexed to Order No. 327/2557 of the Royal Thai Police Bureau dated June 30, 2014
Nationality
Minimum Income
1. Countries in Europe (except Russia) and Australia, Canada, Japan, the United States of America
50,000 baht/month
2. South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, and Hong Kong
45,000 baht/month
3. Countries in Asia (except Japan, South Korea, Singapore,
Taiwan. Hong Kong, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and Vietnam) and South America, countries in Eastern Europe, countries in Central America, Mexico, Russia, and South Africa
35,000 baht/month
4. Countries in Africa (except South Africa), Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and Vietnam
25,0000 baht/month

4 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Agree completely- have had every type of Visa and extension to stay except PR over a 50 year period. Constant reporting every 90 days. Married to a Thai. Spent millions in Thailand over the years in support of family and purchases. Every year I have to request an extension. Tired of it but accept it as I have no other choice except to leave. Thailand is extremely xenophobic and will remain so..

OK, lets say you have spent 9 million in those "over" 50 years, that works out to less than 15k a month - hardly the last of the big spenders are you ?

2 minutes ago, BlindMagician said:

..eer...yeah...so there are minimum income levels

There is no other minimum salary requirement other than for that clause of the police order.

2.1 In the case of business necessity, for example, the applicant must stay to carry out work for a company or partnership:

In the same police order there is none for teaching.

There is also no minimum salary to get a work permit.

I'd say that would be quite low- multiply that figure by 10 and you are getting close. Been married 3 times- all Thai ; raised 6 children; purchased 4 homes and sundry cars .......and I am nowhere near done yet....In many countries one would be given a permanent residence permit for having that commitment.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no other minimum salary requirement other than for that clause of the police order.

In the same police order there is none for teaching.

There is also no minimum salary to get a work permit.

Point is, using these Gov stated minimum levels, its a very rough indicator that 40K or 60K is not "high income", as the OP claims.

Not arguing about the legal fine print - just the OP's view on what is a high income level.

x2 to x5 range would be a high income for local hire.

x5 to x10 range for expat hire.

Lack of logic doesn't only apply to Thailand. I have effectively been barred from my own country, the UK, as I do not have a high enough income for my Thai wife to live there with me. That is I only. She could be a billionaire and it would make no difference. Her permission to live there would be based only on my income.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

As well, if your job ends, and you lose your work-permit, your permission to stay on a "B" (business) extension, based on your work-permit, ends the same day.  If you are on a Marriage-based extension, your permission to stay in Thailand is not affected.

But what if your marriage extension of stay is based on 40k income per month, and you stop working?

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Lack of logic doesn't only apply to Thailand. I have effectively been barred from my own country, the UK, as I do not have a high enough income for my Thai wife to live there with me. That is I only. She could be a billionaire and it would make no difference. Her permission to live there would be based only on my income.

You have not been barred, maybe your wife could not accompany you, but that is totally different.

On 3/26/2017 at 4:53 PM, arithai12 said:

Speaking of illogical: when asking for "money in the bank", there is no mention of whether the applicant owns or rents his/her accomodation - a big difference when it comes to actual cost of living.

Repeat after me: No falang owns their accommodation in Thailand, not even in a condo. Not with mandated 51% Thai ownership. Owning a house when you don't own the land under it is like owning a car without wheels.

I'm not disagreeing with the point you have made w.r.to cost of living. However, to me "ownership" of property by falangs in Thailand is a mirage.

10 hours ago, rickudon said:

Any combination allowed. But will want 800,000 total for the year, not the 780,000 if income only. Obviously, TIT, and immigration make there own rules, but that is the way it usually works.

So if I can get a statement saying my age pension is 450,000 baht a year, I only have to have 350,000 baht on deposit? What form of proof do I need for the age pension?

7 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I'd say that would be quite low- multiply that figure by 10 and you are getting close. Been married 3 times- all Thai ; raised 6 children; purchased 4 homes and sundry cars .......and I am nowhere near done yet....In many countries one would be given a permanent residence permit for having that commitment.

I have to admire your resilience....

• Like 1

So if I can get a statement saying my age pension is 450,000 baht a year, I only have to have 350,000 baht on deposit? What form of proof do I need for the age pension?

For the money in the bank you need a letter from the bank, for the pension a letter from your embassy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

But what if your marriage extension of stay is based on 40k income per month, and you stop working?

Then, when you apply for your next marriage-based extension, when your current one expires, you would have a problem.  If that happens soon, one could go to Savanahket and get a Multi-Entry Non-O based on marriage with no proof of money.  That should tide one over until obtaining the next job.

10 hours ago, muzmurray said:

You have not been barred, maybe your wife could not accompany you, but that is totally different.

Semantics, a legitimate spouse should be able to accompany their better half, where ever they happen to reside, be it for obligation, desire or making a living. I know of several instances where Americans are "forced" (again semantics) to live, and work, in Thailand, because the US government will not grant their Thai spouses "permission" to live in the great US of A, land of the free, home of the brave. (as a Veteran I can say that)

Its all about the money - adequate cash allows you to do many, many things that the financially challenged cannot... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, muzmurray said:

If I wanted to move back to the UK she would be refused entry because I do not meet the financial requirement. So I have effectively been barred from the UK, unless I wanted to desert her. Interestingly, the government pension is not enough to meet those financial requirements so it is a quite deliberate policy. It would require me to have additional pension arrangements, which I do but it still isn't enough.

• Like 2