Pheu Thai member threatens legal retaliation over Thaksin's back-taxes

webfact

Pheu Thai member threatens legal retaliation over Thaksin's back-taxes
By The Nation

3e92105ea109c127d7d8d49dc0aa40be.jpeg

Pheu Thai member Ruangkrai Likijwatana

BANGKOK: -- Pheu Thai member Ruangkrai Likijwatana today petitioned the Revenue Department against its plan to issue a demand for back-taxes against former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

He said the deadline for tax collection in the case had passed six months ago, so the department had no authority to make a tax assessment against Thaksin.

Reungkrai, a member of Phue Thai's legal team, vowed to take legal action against the department and tax officials should they issue the summons.

The Revenue Department is expected to issue a demand for back-taxes in excess of Bt10 billion after the Prayut Chan-o-cha administration requsted it to do so.

The controversy over Thaksin's tax liability dates back to his sale of Shin Corporation shares in 2006.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30310412

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-27

There were many things done during the Shin Dynasty, that will never see the light of day. Over 2500 murdered, during the Drug Wars of 2004, Alpine Golf Club, Billions loaned to the Myanmar to but Shin communication products, the 2010 riots to over through the Government, and activities against the Monarchy, which sounded like the old Communist Party of Thailand.

the ptp and red shirts were always only a thaksin machine to benefit him, they have never once taken the thai people into consideration. It has always been whats best form us and our boss, they simply made bullsh*t promises to the people to get elected then did exactly what thaksin told them too and that was to benefit him and his family. The ptp are simply a paid mob of thaksin lackies that do what ever he tells them too, a bullet would be too good for any of them

53 minutes ago, tomross46 said:

There were many things done during the Shin Dynasty, that will never see the light of day. Over 2500 murdered, during the Drug Wars of 2004, Alpine Golf Club, Billions loaned to the Myanmar to but Shin communication products, the 2010 riots to over through the Government, and activities against the Monarchy, which sounded like the old Communist Party of Thailand.

That's over 4,500 murdered or disappeared in the North , don't forget the 10 km new highway realignment for the  wife's new estate, the treats against certain media org the list is pretty long .

26 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The forum sentiments indicates the right time for an election. Corrupt Thaksin will never stand a chance with all these revelations. 

Oh how dreadfully dreadfully sad, perhaps you should change careers el!

7 minutes ago, chainarong said:

That's over 4,500 murdered or disappeared in the North , don't forget the 10 km new highway realignment for the  wife's new estate, the treats against certain media org the list is pretty long .

"don't forget the 10 km new highway realignment for the  wife's new estate".

Don't know about that one, please share.

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The forum sentiments indicates the right time for an election. Corrupt Thaksin will never stand a chance with all these revelations. 

When Mr Dubai used his money for corrupt election

5 hours ago, chainarong said:

CP donates 7 mill to the guy down the road, whats he doing with it then, buying subs I guess

Double standards again on here from the same old faces sadley

Time to move on not back into the stone age, history you will never change (in the real world) but the future you can, but only if you want to.

17 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes, but this clearly demonstraties.. PTP is not for the Thai people.. its only there to serve the puppet master. 

In this case I think you are partially wrong. It is about the rule of law and justice. The government is trying to avoid its own laws to hurt a political enemy and or get the enemy to negotiate with them.

It is the duty of the civil servants to act in time and do their duty. If they fail to do that the government does not have the right to break/avoid their own laws to rectify the mistake made by the civil servants. Neither do the government have the right to ignore court verdicts. If you allow that to happen the government becomes a law on its own or lawless and there can be no rule of law. The fact that TS may well be guilty has no bearing in this case. It must always be about the rule of law. Read todays BKK post article about this and weep with me. According to this article the Feb 2010 Supreme court case (about the share transfers) granted the right to seize TS assets, but declined any action against the children because they acted as proxies. In December 2010 the same court said that Feb 2010 verdict found that the children acted as TS's proxies and withdrew the tax assessment case for the B 16 bn against them. Section 61 of the tax code says that the Tax department can only take action against those who are mentioned in documentation relating to the case. In this specific case TS are not mentioned in any documents. So according to the tax code he can't be asked to pay the taxes.

You are however correct in saying the Thai people are the losers. They are however used to it.

To be even handed - As soon as the dear great leader, his brother and all other political players show us the source of their riches and their income tax returns proving they paid tax on those riches we will be moving into the correct direction.

In this case I think you are partially wrong. It is about the rule of law and justice. The government is trying to avoid its own laws to hurt a political enemy and or get the enemy to negotiate with them.

It is the duty of the civil servants to act in time and do their duty. If they fail to do that the government does not have the right to break/avoid their own laws to rectify the mistake made by the civil servants. Neither do the government have the right to ignore court verdicts. If you allow that to happen the government becomes a law on its own or lawless and there can be no rule of law. The fact that TS may well be guilty has no bearing in this case. It must always be about the rule of law. Read todays BKK post article about this and weep with me. According to this article the Feb 2010 Supreme court case (about the share transfers) granted the right to seize TS assets, but declined any action against the children because they acted as proxies. In December 2010 the same court said that Feb 2010 verdict found that the children acted as TS's proxies and withdrew the tax assessment case for the B 16 bn against them. Section 61 of the tax code says that the Tax department can only take action against those who are mentioned in documentation relating to the case. In this specific case TS are not mentioned in any documents. So according to the tax code he can't be asked to pay the taxes.

You are however correct in saying the Thai people are the losers. They are however used to it.

To be even handed - As soon as the dear great leader, his brother and all other political players show us the source of their riches and their income tax returns proving they paid tax on those riches we will be moving into the correct direction.

Quite possible that the tax officials were either bribed or threatened. He just should have paid tax.

I agree about the generals... everyone should pay up not just Thaksin. The rich and powerful escape justice all the time.

So, if I don't pay my taxes in Thailand and the government tries to collect from (whether they have a legal foundation, or not), then some other guy (who is not me, has no connection to the case, and is not affected by the case) can take legal action against the Revenue Dept.?

2 hours ago, yardrunner said:

but any election here is deemed corrupt if the elite and army dont like the result

You just forget that Thaksin belongs to this elite that you denounce

Thaksin regime was characterized by  the authoritarianism ;

"Since taking office, February 2001, Mr. Thaksin was regularly criticized for his authoritarian inability to tolerate criticism, whether from opposition, intellectuals or
journalists." 

Quote from : The Thaksin Sytem: A Halt to Democratization or Democracy the “Thai Way”?  

Nicolas Revise  Centre d'études et de recherches internationales Sciences Po Paris

During his mandate he toppled all institutional safeguards (Electoral and Anti-Corruption Committees, Court
Constitutional ...) supposed to prevent the traditional evils of the Thai elections: patronage, clientelism and vote buying.

"If the elections of 6 January 2001 innovate through this pragmatic confrontation and the vindictive style of Thaksin, they nevertheless remain faithful to the tradition of the elections precedents: voting purchases are legion, A member of the electoral commission that this election said that this election is "the dirtiest in the history of Thailand"."  

Quote from : The Thaksin Sytem: A Halt to Democratization or Democracy the “Thai Way”?  

Nicolas Revise  Centre d'études et de recherches internationales Sciences Po Paris

Thaksin has never been a democratic politician, he is just a populist

3 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Thanks for the only informative post in this thread, a post that at last clarifies the legal challenges of the case. It's difficult to act when the legal decisions and texts contradict each other. 

4 hours ago, than said:

You just forget that Thaksin belongs to this elite that you denounce

i did not forget that Thaskin was a member of the elite, and i stated that the elite not one side or the other of the elite would do anything that they could to control the country

16 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

i did not forget that Thaskin was a member of the elite, and i stated that the elite not one side or the other of the elite would do anything that they could to control the country

Actually he made the mistake of trying to create a rival network instead of simply integrating the dominant network

18 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

And Thaksin is just the servant of the major international financial institutions