Maids in Chiang Mai - suggestions needed

dirkjones

Again i'm Darren. I'm Moving to Chiang mai Later this year.. I understand that many labor related jobs like maids aren't really advertised online Rather it's a lot of posting done locally.

Yet is it really easy to find a maid? if not how do you find 1.  what's the acceptable rates of pay? I see on craigslist for bangkok 400 a day seem to be average. while bangkok is suppose to be more expensive than Chiang mai. Would 400 a day be acceptable? i'm going to be living alone in most likely a 40 to 60 sqm condo..  I'm thinking 1 visit a week..  basic cleaning, and changing the sheets.  

I don't want to ball anybody, nor get ripped off for what will be limited cleaning. As where i will rarely be there to start off with.. thanks in advanced for the comments 

Edited by dirkjones

Go to any local restaurant, one of these family owned ones and talk to the staff there while you have a meal. 

Tell them that you are looking for a maid and you pay good money. 

This is what we always did when we lived there and wanted to find a maid. Always did. 

2 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Go to any local restaurant, one of these family owned ones and talk to the staff there while you have a meal. 

Tell them that you are looking for a maid and you pay good money. 

This is what we always did when we lived there and wanted to find a maid. Always did. 

thanks for the advice, what's a good day rate to pay?

400 -500 THB per day,but depends where you will be living,in the city

or outside,will be easier to find maid outside of the town,dont leave

anything valuable lying around,better not to put temptation in their

way.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

,,dont leave

anything valuable lying around,better not to put temptation in their

way.

regards worgeordie

Over   the years ,   E/S  old shelia,  has engaged ,   many partime cleaners,     and not one,   has stolen a razoo, or any valuables,  which maybe laying around

in my view.   the  above  comment ,    is way  over the top,     and   we  pay  300 baht a day,  here  in Maerim

a lovely morning to all

You say  worgeodies comment was way over the top.

Sorry i agree with him, lock up your valuables.

When i had t have a daily carer, many things went missing, food /cash/ small items.

My carer at the time is 1 of my wifes cousins, you cannot trust anyone.

Edited by colinneil

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

You say  worgeodies comment was way over the top.

Sorry i agree with him, lock up your valuables.

When i had t have a daily carer, many things went missing, food /cash/ small items.

My carer at the time is 1 of my wifes cousins, you cannot trust anyone.

Colin

That is the problem " my carer at the time is 1 of my wifes cousins" its called being in the family and what is yours they regards it as their,s also.........get an outsider every time :thumbsup:

I have had 2 part time cleaning ladies.  Never had anything stolen.. and I trusted both of them to look after my house, pets, when I went away.  Both were very kind and like part of the family.

But, there are god and bad people everywhere... and even I would never leave expensive valuables, money, or other such things around the house in open view.  That is just tempting fate!  

6 minutes ago, petermik said:

Colin

That is the problem " my carer at the time is 1 of my wifes cousins" its called being in the family and what is yours they regards it as their,s also.........get an outsider every time :thumbsup:

Some people may be lucky

BUt you always have to be careful

Not everyone is honest

Ask the many people who have lost things

Not all Sheiles are honest

3 hours ago, evenstevens said:

Over   the years ,   E/S  old shelia,  has engaged ,   many partime cleaners,     and not one,   has stolen a razoo, or any valuables,  which maybe laying around

in my view.   the  above  comment ,    is way  over the top,     and   we  pay  300 baht a day,  here  in Maerim

a lovely morning to all

Maybe you have nothing of value to leave lying around.  Cobber

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

If you are going to live in a condo chances are quite a few people will be employing part timers in the building.

Put a note on the board or ask the staff, chances are you will find someone with reasonable recommendations from existing employers.

12 hours ago, evenstevens said:

a lovely morning to all

How many hours a do they typically work? thanks for the comment 

40 minutes ago, dirkjones said:

yes i went on chiang mai buddy..  the rates were to expensive.. to clean 40 sqm condo

The days of cheap labour in Thailand are gone. You only get what you pay for and if expecting a tailor made home cleaning service you must be willing to pay enough to tempt people to want to work for you, not forgetting as a Farlang they expect you to cough up over the going rates a Thai would pay.

If you are trying for cheap, then try advertising on craigslist and facebook, you might get better results on there.

8 hours ago, dirkjones said:

How many hours a do they typically work? thanks for the comment

8am  to  5pm, 1 hour off for lunch, (8hrs) in my view, anything over 300 baht,   you are a fair dinkum, Santa Claus

generally once a week, my old shelia, takes up, the rest of the slack

if you are concerned ,with any nicking, get copy of their Thai id card

a smoggy good morning to all

2 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

8am  to  5pm, 1 hour off for lunch, (8hrs) in my view, anything over 300 baht,   you are a fair dinkum, Santa Claus

generally once a week, my old shelia, takes up, the rest of the slack

if you are concerned ,with any nicking, get copy of their Thai id card

a smoggy good morning to all

wow  she works 8hours a day for 300 baht. how big is your house? does she do laundry as well? i think you might have saved me some money. i was thinking 400 for 3 or 4 hours wasn't going to be high enough 

3 hours ago, dirkjones said:

wow  she works 8hours a day for 300 baht. how big is your house? does she do laundry as well? i think you might have saved me some money. i was thinking 400 for 3 or 4 hours wasn't going to be high enough 

Takes a long time to clean the Didgeridoo, 300 THB is been a cheap charlie,look on it 

as these people are self employed ,plus travel to and from your residence,like someone

else said the days of cheap labour are over.the same people who want to pay as little as

possible for a worker,do not baulk at buying a case of beer.!

regards worgeordie

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Takes a long time to clean the Didgeridoo, 300 THB is been a cheap charlie,look on it

as these people are self employed ,plus travel to and from your residence,like someone

else said the days of cheap labour are over.the same people who want to pay as little as

possible for a worker,do not baulk at buying a case of beer.!

regards worgeordie

honestly cobber , where are you coming from ???

E/S gave a very honest answer,  to help  the  O/P,   who has acknowledged it,  and happily taken it on board

being called a cheap charlie by you for doing so  ,  is fine with me  , as it confirms  the possible  going Thai Rate,   for unskilled workers,here in c/mai

if  farungs ,  like yourself are prepared  to pay  your going rates,   of 400 to 500 baht a day,   no skin off E/S nose, whats so ever,   except that  they are paying well over the odds ,for unskilled labour here   in   C/Mai, , and in my view are far bigger Galah,  then being called  a Cheap Charlie

a nice arvo to all

5 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

honestly cobber , where are you coming from ???

E/S gave a very honest answer,  to help  the  O/P,   who has acknowledged it,  and happily taken it on board

being called a cheap charlie by you for doing so  ,  is fine with me  , as it confirms  the possible  going Thai Rate,   for unskilled workers,here in c/mai

if  farungs ,  like yourself are prepared  to pay  your going rates,   of 400 to 500 baht a day,   no skin off E/S nose, whats so ever,   except that  they are paying well over the odds ,for unskilled labour here   in   C/Mai, , and in my view are far bigger Galah,  then being called  a Cheap Charlie

a nice arvo to all

I don't employ a maid,I have a hard working wife who would never think of anyone

else doing the housework,and she is not an old Sheila,as you refer to your good lady,

The rate for the city and urban areas will be 400-500 THB,as it's not easy to find a decent

maid, back up in the wilds of Beverly Hills,300 THB,could well be the going rate.

and if I am a Galah,does that make you a Wombat, take it easy E/S,CD player knackered

have missed your reports of your latest tunes. it's a Dr.Feelgood ,hot afternoon from me.

I have lived in Thailand 11 years and have never had a maid. I have a washing machine, and a mop and cleaning supplies. Takes a little time every now and then to keep the place looking nice. 

I mean, depending on your living situation maybe you have a detached quarters for the driver and housekeeper and that's fine, if that's your level and you need it. 

Now, full disclosure -- I have hired someone to come in and do the real detail work once every 3 months or something, particularly if company is coming. But frankly, clean as you go keeps things pretty ship shape, sir yes sir!

Edited by Trujillo

35 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I don't employ a maid,

The rate for the city and urban areas will be 400-500 THB,

so your rates ,  are purely based,    on your  assumption (lol)

my rates of 300 baht a day     is   actual   Fact !!!

my case is rested

its a Debbie (Blondie)Harry early evening to all,( just for you)

1 hour ago, evenstevens said:

so your rates ,  are purely based,    on your  assumption (lol)

my rates of 300 baht a day     is   actual   Fact !!!

my case is rested

its a Debbie (Blondie)Harry early evening to all,( just for you)

I never base anything on assumptions,just my wife talks to the

maids that work in our area,friends of her friends,and none of

them work for 300 THB per day ,up in Mae Rim,it maybe 300 THB,

there been less job opportunities, thats a fact !!!!, anyway if it makes

you feel good,paying someone the absolute minimum wage  to clean

your toilets,etc, go on give the lady a pay rise 100 THB  would make

a big difference to her,and might even make you feel good,? 

regards worgeordie

13 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I never base anything on assumptions,just my wife talks to the

maids that work in our area,friends of her friends,and none of

them work for 300 THB per day ,

come on cobber,   the above comment,    is not a  assumption,   by you ????,     LOL,LOL   .if not ,.  then   its  a good dose ,  of chinese whispers,

see that your original  number   of 400 to 500 baht a day,,  is now convientley  put aside,

and 300 baht plus,  a day,  is your new call !!!!   LOL LOL,

its a Chelsea F.C good nite to all

1 hour ago, evenstevens said:

come on cobber,   the above comment,    is not a  assumption,   by you ????,     LOL,LOL   .if not ,.  then   its  a good dose ,  of chinese whispers,

see that your original  number   of 400 to 500 baht a day,,  is now convientley  put aside,

and 300 baht plus,  a day,  is your new call !!!!   LOL LOL,

its a Chelsea F.C good nite to all

Just because you pay your maid the minimum wage of 300 THB,and feel good about it,

don't assume that all maids would work for that ,as i know for a fact that is not the case.

and trying to defend your situation with LOL,LOL, is immature,400-500 THB is not put aside

I stand by what I say, so you think all maids work for 300 THB ??,or do you just assume

because your maid does,that they all do, you need to widen your horizons,what happens

in Mae Rim,does not mean that its the same in all of Chiang Mai.but that might be a stretch

for you to comprehend .

regards worgeordie