Van drivers ask PM to change new safety rules

webfact

Van drivers ask PM to change new safety rules 
By Chakkawan Salaytoo
The Nation

9e8d02350c28f21f244c28150ebb492d.jpeg

File photo

BANGKOK: -- Representatives of public transport vans on Tuesday urged the prime minister to cancel the 13-seat limit and the requirement for passengers to fasten their seat belts.

The new regulations were imposed under Article 44. The order was published in the Royal Gazette last Wednesday to improve the safety of vans used for public transportation.

Submitting their petition through the Public Service in Bangkok, they asked for a grace period until their current concession contracts with the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority expires. 

They claimed they have insufficient funds to make many of the adjustments which are required under the new rules. 

They asked for the 13-seat limit to be cancelled so their current 15-seat vans can be used legally. They also asked for the postponement on the requirement to have a GPS device installed on each van, which they claimed was unnecessary as congested traffic conditions prevent vans from speeding anyway. 

They said that the requirement for all passengers to wear seat belts should be the responsibility of passengers because the vans already instructing passengers to wear seat belts.

The order authorised Land Transport Department officials to revoke or suspend the use of transport vans or the public transport licence for up to six months if an accident stems from a van driver exceeding the legal speed limit or the driver worked beyond the legal limit of driving hours. A penalty will also be imposed if the van is used for illegal activities, or passengers are overcharged.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30310572

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-29

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

GPS is not necessary because they can't speed! :cheesy:

I'll remember that next time they are overtaking me on a blind corner when I am already at the speed limit.

Yeah I'll remind myself of that little chestnut the next time one of them is tailgating me on the Mittraparp Highway so close I can count the ****s nostril hairs.

Oh the irony of it!

These "sleepy time, foot to the floor boys" giving advice on road laws and safety. And they come up with these pathetic excuses.

1. Insufficient funds to make many of the adjustments required.

2. Congested traffic conditions prevent vans from speeding.

3. Wearing of seat belts should be the responsibility of passengers. 

This rooster won't ever be riding in a minibus again; not after the last terrifying trip from BKK to Koh Chang.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

asked for the postponement on the requirement to have a GPS device installed on each van, which they claimed was unnecessary as congested traffic conditions prevent vans from speeding anyway. 

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Edited by dinsdale

Scrap the seat belt and 13 seat rule in favour for compulsory driver annual drug testing and life imprisonment for cases of death by dangerous driving, extended to vehicle owners who are proven to put unsafe vehicles on the road. That will do it ...... if enforced.

This is the mentality here,  many including Thais are afraid to use them because of the driver behavior.  Although added rules are good it still doesn't address the ownership of how the vehicles are maintained and how educated, train and qualify driver are in a service industry for their passenger and not for themselves. It will never change much until there is something for these owner and drivers until they feel a lost of earning. 

My place of origin the onus is on the driver to ensure that everyone is belted up they also where the fine , which is up around  eighteen thousand Baht per passenger, I can tell U no bus , van ,taxi moves until you are buckled up ,  no arguments , also fit speed limiters to vans  upwards on all  vehicles carrying passengers whether paying or not,...................................:coffee1:

56 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

The thing is as pathetic as it is i am not sure that the pm wont just say ok boys sorry for the troubles we will let you slide untill youre contract is up.

Hardship as the reasoning.

not sure about the hardship, who are the big banana's that run these operations, that could swing the debate............................:coffee1: 

New rules they would accept

Not more than 25 pax

No speed limit

No breaks unless driver already asleep

Restricted to fast lane only

Fridge in front to keep beer cold, must hold at least twelve cans

Automatic Yabba dispenser

Free funerals at temple

24 minutes ago, chainarong said:

My place of origin the onus is on the driver to ensure that everyone is belted up they also where the fine , which is up around  eighteen thousand Baht per passenger, I can tell U no bus , van ,taxi moves until you are buckled up ,  no arguments , also fit speed limiters to vans  upwards on all  vehicles carrying passengers whether paying or not,...................................:coffee1:

Further, in my country of origin, everybody is well aware of the need for safety measures and automatically follows the safety rules, in most cases no need for the driver to ask people to buckle up.

The difference is effective education, starting at a very young age. 

Yet more incompetence by the admin.

This country is ruled by dictum and the authorities has failed to even conceive of the problems they face in road safety let alone act in a concerted manner. So rather than come up with a holistic plan for the future they fire out un-researched and unenforceable dictums like an automated ban-aid machine.

One of this can be effective if those targeted are unable to comply - it will just lead to evasion of the laws, corrupt practices and of course ineffectively fitted seat belts put in for appearance rather than function.

Like everyone else says, no one will enforce the new rules anyway and people will continue to die on the dangerous roads with extremely dangerous van drivers. 

Don't even know why they are taking the time to complain for something that will never be enforced. 

My girlfriend is scared shitless everytime she has to ride in 1 of these "accidents waiting to happen"

as congested traffic conditions prevent vans from speeding anyway. 

Ha... ha..  seriously how do thais keep a straight face when making these types of statements 

A hundred or so metres gap in traffic is enough for them to exceed speed limits and brake inches from the vehicle in front if they havent sharply geared left and already cut some up heading for the breakdown/emergency lane...