Selling up and leaving Thailand

autanic

5 hours ago, khunano said:

Indeed life in Thailand has changed quite a bit in the last five years or so, some things for the better, many not. I certainly have changed too, coming with age I suppose, my personal life has seen some changes as well, hence decision was taken to move back to the roots and start back home from where I had left for Asia some 25 years ago. It will be a challenging move and not easy to adjust, but I look forward to. Hence my positive attitude should help and get me accustomed again to the new old environment.

Will not be easy in the beginning. (I know it). But in time you will re-establish yourself in the old (new) country. You will likely visit Thailand as a Tourist, just like I do.

- After 5 years in Thailand, I realized that country living in Thailand is mainly boring and living in Tourist-Hubs led me to the conclusion, that Thai's have no use for us Farangs. The size of our wallets is the only thing they are really interested in.
But like I said, nothing wrong with visiting Thailand as a Tourist.
Cheers.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, whoareyou said:

Why do you ask about India , care to share what sparked your interest?

Just  saw something on the internet  about the real Marigold Hotel on the  BBC,  that's about  it really,  always  thought  there  were  some  beautiful  women  there  as well!!

8 minutes ago, swissie said:

Will not be easy in the beginning. (I know it). But in time you will re-establish yourself in the old (new) country. You will likely visit Thailand as a Tourist, just like I do.

- After 5 years in Thailand, I realized that country living in Thailand is mainly boring and living in Tourist-Hubs led me to the conclusion, that Thai's have no use for us Farangs. The size of our wallets is the only thing they are really interested in.
But like I said, nothing wrong with visiting Thailand as a Tourist.
Cheers.

Fully agree with that, particularly also since many things in my home country after such a long time living abroad have changed quite a bit too. 

You certainly have a point, it remains a bit of a mistery as to what our hosts really should make of us foreigners here. Hence the integration part falls short of my expectation.

Oh well. 

14 hours ago, autanic said:

It has been some time since my last post on here.

I have been granted a 1 year Business Visa for Cambodia. I was surprised literally how much easier it was to obtain than the cumbersome visa situation I have endured for so long in Thailand. 

I can work legally, I do not need to setup a company, hire Thai directors or lodge funds with a bank.

Seriously Thailand, get back in the game or you will be kissing the arse of the Chinese forever.

I have finally sold my place in Hua Hin to a very reasonable young chap from Russia.

This brings me nicely to the point of my post.

I first came here in 2002 and have spent a huge amount of time making the most of this great country. I have had some extremely good memories which I would not trade in the world.

Although in the past 2 years or so, I have not enjoyed myself here as much as I could have and maybe thats on me, who knows.

But I do not wish to sour my memories and so I decided its time to take those dreams, thoughts and ideas and try somewhere new.

Cambodia seems like the obvious choice.  They say it is like Thailand used to be, well thats great because I love the old Thailand.

Bon Chance everyone.

They say Cambodia is like Thailand used to be ?

Sorry.......that bus left 10 years ago.

If you don't like modern Thailand just go and live in the Boonies.

If you go to Cambodia and decide to live where there are lots of expats you will soon see that rose tinted glasses only work when you wear them.

Good luck to the OP.  I really like visiting Thailand - from the fact that it never gets cold to the fact that you can get by on a budget to the way that a lot of the silly rules and regulations that interfere with everyday life here in Australia are not present.  At the same time, I find some things a bit too much and I cannot live there year round.  2 or 3 long-stays a year of 2 or 3 months is perfect for me, basically splitting my time between Thailand and Australia gives me the best of both worlds.  All the best on the move to Cambodia.

7 hours ago, Denim said:

They say Cambodia is like Thailand used to be ?

Sorry.......that bus left 10 years ago.

If you don't like modern Thailand just go and live in the Boonies.

If you go to Cambodia and decide to live where there are lots of expats you will soon see that rose tinted glasses only work when you wear them.

Cambodia is far behind Thailand in its development.  You can live in Phnom Penh and feel like you are in a third world country (because you are!)  Living in the boonies and living in a major city that is not developed is not an accurate comparison.  I went on many trips to Cambodia for the weekend and I really liked it.  I liked it because it was crazier than Thailand.  But for the same reason's I probably wouldn't want to live there.  I stayed at a half a dozen hotels there and could never find a really good one.  That kinda says something considering I have stayed at 6 different hotels from one chain all in BKK and they were all good.   Cambodia and Thailand are bordering each other but miles apart.  Depending on what the OP wants this may be a good or bad thing.

11 hours ago, Don Johan Negombo said:

For me , i recommend Sri Lanka, i dont really know why not more forigners come there. Its more westernized cos of 500 years of colonies of portugese,dutch,british, And state works, People can speak english and you can live a normal western life , still with a 2600 year old buddist herritage. Which they are very proud of and respect. Not sleazy sex selling all over the place like thailand. (sorry) i needed to say that cos its not fun with family to walk around and get offered pussy all day long .

And the woman looks great too, i really suprised why not more europeans goes to Sri lanka, alot of sweds now germans,  I guess still people are scared of the war? no the war is over. and the infrastructur is good, internet is really good everywhere.  

And cos of the mix race herritage you can even find thai looking woman if you miss them !! LOL. U can find all colors and faces trust me . I moved back to Sweden after 7 years and i had really not high expectation cos to high standard in Sweden ;)  But i was not dissapointed at all. I had my love stories for sure. 

i did a search for sri lankan wedding on google here is some pics.

images.jpg

656c78a67e158a511f00803f6c494c0b.jpg

0c3be556a35ba9722f04e350660c38d8.jpg

Prathibha 60.jpg

Interesting post and great pix.

How does the cost of living compare to Thailand?

4 minutes ago, 1BADDAT said:

Cambodia is far behind Thailand in its development.  You can live in Phnom Penh and feel like you are in a third world country (because you are!)  Living in the boonies and living in a major city that is not developed is not an accurate comparison.  I went on many trips to Cambodia for the weekend and I really liked it.  I liked it because it was crazier than Thailand.  But for the same reason's I probably wouldn't want to live there.  I stayed at a half a dozen hotels there and could never find a really good one.  That kinda says something considering I have stayed at 6 different hotels from one chain all in BKK and they were all good.   Cambodia and Thailand are bordering each other but miles apart.  Depending on what the OP wants this may be a good or bad thing.

"Cambodia is far behind Thailand in its development.  You can live in Phnom Penh and feel like you are in a third world country (because you are!) "

Is Laos behind Cambodia in development?

I've seen a number of threads writing of trips to and/or moving to Cambodia.

Not sure if I've seen one of those about Laos.

Thinking  of going  to Cambodia next time  I  go back  to  Thailand,  to  see  what  its like..   Anyone  thought of  moving to  India???????

Spent two and a half years there in the 1990's, loved it. Was based in Kerala (southern India). I managed to get a 5yr multiple entry business visa, £100. Was very easy to get the visa, a local shop owner wrote a letter saying I was going to buy goods from him, visa issued in Birmingham. Don't know what the situation is now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"Cambodia is far behind Thailand in its development.  You can live in Phnom Penh and feel like you are in a third world country (because you are!) "

Is Laos behind Cambodia in development?

I've seen a number of threads writing of trips to and/or moving to Cambodia.

Not sure if I've seen one of those about Laos.

I lived in Laos for around a decade and still have a place over there. Laos is behind Cambodia in regards to development. It is a beautiful country but too quiet for most people on this board. 

It would make a great alternative for the Issan crowd should they ever get fed up with Thailand. However most of those are stuck there with anchor babies and wives, houses etc. 

Laos despite being behind Cambodia economically seems a little more sane in regards to stability. In this way it is ironically a bit more civilized in my opinion. 

Also the housing in Cambodia is amongst the worst I have seen in the world. People will often mention they got a "nice" place for $150 a month or whatever. 

Nice to these people turns out to be a long flat on the 4th floor of a shop house with windows only on one end. The toilet has cold water only and there is most likely a tiny fridge and perhaps a hot plate. The finishing trim should be bars on every window and fences adorned with beautiful razor wire, paint the outside some horrible pink trimmed with bright green to get that unique Cambodian look. 

You can not hardly buy your way out of living in a crap heap in Cambodia at any price. Their modern architecture is so poorly designed and basically as ugly on the inside as it is on the outside.

Drive through Cambodia and look at the buildings and then drive through Laos and compare them.

As soon as you cross the border you will see houses on the Lao side that don't look too bad. Nice colonial influences in the roof lines and just over all aesthetically pleasing. Thailand of course also has many nice houses scattered through out. 

Love the Cambodian country houses with roofs shaped like this ^^. What a great design obviously no concerns about water with those kind of silly valleys.

Anyway my take on Cambodia is that the housing is so terrible it is an unappealing place to live.  Laos is catching up quickly and is worth a look if you can take a slower pace of life.

Just remember these countries will probably become like the Thailand you are running away from. They will let people in easily when they need the money. When they start to fill up you will be held ransom to whatever new visa rules they choose to enforce.

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:31 AM, roo860 said:

Spent two and a half years there in the 1990's, loved it. Was based in Kerala (southern India). I managed to get a 5yr multiple entry business visa, £100. Was very easy to get the visa, a local shop owner wrote a letter saying I was going to buy goods from him, visa issued in Birmingham. Don't know what the situation is now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yeah  was thinking Kerala or Goa..  

On 3/29/2017 at 4:04 PM, quandow said:

About two years ago I got fed up with all the Thai B.S. so I packed up and moved to Mexico. I was back in Thailand two months later. I was instantly reminded of why I left in the first place, but with a newfound appreciation. I've visited Cambodia a few times, I recommend you don't burn any bridges for getting back to Thailand. Best of luck to ya!

Yes the Motodop guys are a <deleted> pain in the ass,

I lived in Phnom Penh for 2 years and every morning at 7 AM I would come out the guesthouse where I stayed turn round to lock the gate (as I left before the owners were up) and when I turned round their would ALWAYS be the same Motodop driver asking if I wanted a Motodop..to which I replied NO, walked across street and caught a bus (laid on my my employers) at the same spot.

Everyday he saw me get the bus, every day he would pester me...<deleted> don't brain cell between then.

On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 4:34 PM, whoareyou said:

Don't think OP researched Cambodia to well and it appears that he hasn't even been there.

Hopefully he is not making his move by relying on TV posts.

There are are a lot of pro Cambodia and anti thailand threads around but the difference is those posters are actually still in Thailand or back home in the nanny state.

I would watch out for the food & water (Ecoli etc).

23 hours ago, Gloucester said:

I would watch out for the food & water (Ecoli etc).

You right Gloucester, food poisoning a Khmer places is rampant, need to stick to Western Restaurants and even then its a bit dicey as most of the Hospitality Industry comes from the Provinces to make it in the 'big city'.

I've been told that provincial Cambodians think its 'unlucky' to wash their hands....I eventually gave up eating with my Khmer colleagues who though it was normal to have the 'squirts' once a week and stuck to western restaurants at 5 x the price.

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Anyone claiming their relocation to cambodia was an improvement?helloow anyone??

I would like to know as well. To this effect, I have started a thread in the Cambodia Sub-Forum.

Cheers.

On 03/29/2017 at 0:47 PM, JimCrane said:

cambodia sounds great on paper but long term living there is much different.

i tried it for 9 months living in pp, sihanoukville and finally siem reap (until my lease expired) and wont be returning anytime soon.
i was living quite well also, if i had been on a budget it would have been much worse, probably would have lasted 4 months tops.

there is a good reason why the visa is so easy there. it's not a mistake that it is. think about it.

my major gripe was being harrassed every time i stepped out the door, literally, by moto dop taxi driver scumbags who had this crap eating smile on their faces and dont know what the word no means. do you want to live like that?

I recently went to Phnom Penh on a visa run. Never again, anywhere in that hell-hole. The city is a dump, the people even more avaricious than Thais or Americans,  and at least half of them are running some scam on visitors. The other half don't have a pot to piss  in so they use the street.

My advice: go for two days before you move there.  Then think long and hard.

On 29/03/2017 at 6:27 AM, whoareyou said:

"Cambodia seems like the obvious choice.  They say it is like Thailand used to be, well thats great because I love the old Thailand."

So you actually have been there? OMG a hahaha

I have been there for a month, but not for longer. Spending a month on holiday is very different to living in a place.

I leave next week. Thank you for the positive comments and the well "expected" comments.

The truth is I have loved me time in Thailand. 

I could stay here destroyer the good memories I have, the people I have met and general being another Whinging Tom or I can try something new.

Yes I know the healthcare in Cambodia is not as good as Thailand.

Yes I know the food and water maybe contaminated, but I heard exactly the same arguments back in 1996 when I first came to Hua Hin.

Ever the optmist, I will leave on a high. the 15th April 2017, will see me start a new chapter in my life and no that does not mean, I will never come back to Thailand to Holiday, of course I will.

It just means the place I call home will be well, thats my business.

If you find me, join me on the beach and ask for Captain  Morgan's with Dandelion and Burdock. (My favourite drink). 

To the rest of my fellow Pioneers, Adventurers and Scoundrels.

God Bless, keep safe, keep well and get f----d regularly.

X

Autanic Out !

On 3/29/2017 at 3:07 PM, iancnx said:

I have been here for nearly 11 years, and I am off soon to relocate back to UK.  I echo the OP's post.  My main reason for leaving is my 4yo son's education, about to start Primary School.  I have been far more focussed on the negatives here the last couple of years and how they might impact on him in time, such as the drug dealer next door who has been banged up twice in four years, and his motley crew..... and I live out in the sticks.

It is certainly not the Thailand of 11 years ago I am sad to say.

OP ATB

I'm quite certain there was drug dealers here 11 years ago !

carpe diem 

good luck I too like a change which is why I have a condo in Philippines and love living in Chiang Mai with a house in the rural area and a condo in the city but Cambodia?  not for me (been there many times). If the infrastructure was better it would be Philippines every time but... it's not so I'm here (and there).

On 29/03/2017 at 3:07 PM, iancnx said:

My main reason for leaving is my 4yo son's education, about to start Primary School.

Good choice, The education system is rubbish here, you need a degree just to be a glorified waitress in the sky.