Ex-TAT governor Juthamas jailed for 50 years for corruption

webfact

Ex-TAT governor Juthamas jailed for 50 years for corruption
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases on Wednesday sentenced former Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Juthamas Siriwan to 50 years in prison for demanding and receiving a bribe of more than Bt60 million so an American business couple could manage the Bangkok International Film Festival.

Juthamas’ daughter, Jittisopha, was sentenced to 44 years in jail on the same charge.

The court also ruled to confiscate the Bt62 million from them.

The mother and daughter avoided the media at the Criminal Court.

Prosecutors last year indicted Juthamas, 70, and Jittisopha, 43, for seeking the kickback from the American couple. 

Juthamas was TAT governor in 2005 when the kickback was allegedly paid.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30310650

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-29

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most deserving punishment I have read about lately,

this woman and her daughter has gorged themselves at the

trough of nepotism, kick back and sheer greed, while representing

the country tourism department...

Pretty harsh considering all the BS here that never gets acted upon.  Like the Red Bull heir.

The Greens, only got 6 months home detention in the US.  And had to pay $250k.  Glad something finally happened. Seemed the previous government wasn't so interested in pursuing this.

17 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

And immediately released on bail pending appeal, no doubt!

I would be very surprised if they haven't already filed an appeal and are applying for bail right now.

I would also be equally surprised if it is refused.

I am not surprised to see such a lengthy sentence given to a 70 year old.

I don't think the judges here can add up 70 +50.

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

I would be very surprised if they haven't already filed an appeal and are applying for bail right now.

I would also be equally surprised if it is refused.

I am not surprised to see such a lengthy sentence given to a 70 year old.

I don't think the judges here can add up 70 +50.

The judges here are actually quite smart.  Sadly, also quite corrupt.

Central Corruption Court sentences ex-TAT governor and daughter to 66 and 44 years respectively for corruption

232_TAT.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases today sentence the former governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Juthamas Siriwan and her daughter to 66 and 44 years in prison after finding them guilty of corruption.

The court also ordered the confiscation of their 62 million baht in assets derived from their misbehaviours in getting the funds.

The ex-governor Juthamas Siriwan was indicted the Office of Attorney-General (OAG) two years ago for an alleged 60 million baht bribe in relation to the Bangkok International Film Festival scandal.

The OAG and the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) had accused Juthamas of taking bribes from a Los Angeles film-making couple who were awarded a contract to organise the film events in Bangkok between 2003-2006 without going through a proper bidding process.

The NACC launched the investigation into Juthamas after alleging she had become unusually wealthy by using her role as TAT governor to acquire inappropriate assets.

At today’s hearing the court handed down six years for each count of the crimes they committed.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/central-corruption-court-sentences-ex-tat-governor-daughter-66-44-years-respectively-corruption/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-29

Well done, Thai authorities, yet another nail in the-rich-and-connected-are-never-prosecuted-and-jailed-in-Thailand  coffin.  There will be some angry Thai bashers around today.

2 minutes ago, upena said:

Why does the Thai Government think they are entitled to the 62 million baht?

Correct, I did send my bank details,  but so far nothing had been deposited. 

1 hour ago, gdgbb said:

Well done, Thai authorities, yet another nail in the-rich-and-connected-are-never-prosecuted-and-jailed-in-Thailand  coffin.  There will be some angry Thai bashers around today.

I will be impressed if they actually serve the time , I wont hold my breath.

41 minutes ago, upena said:

Why does the Thai Government think they are entitled to the 62 million baht?

Who else should benefit from it?  Do you think they should be allowed to keep it?  The government collects all other seized funds, there is no reason for it not to do so in this case.

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

If everyone who took a bribe was imprisoned, they would have to build quite a few more establishments !

Be an empty house next door, Poor 6 years ago during the flood but after becoming a governor, much wealth came his way 

Finally they have been tried and convicted but I join with other posters in doubting they will ever serve any part of their sentences. The appeals will go on for another few years and they will surely be given bail and be permitted to slip out of the country to join all the other Thai crooks.  The husband was a politician from one of the SME parties and she was a minister with the sleazy Puea Paendin Party (another fugitive from justice Wattana Asavahame was party chairman).  Juthamas was also in charge of investment and budgeting and such like at TAT before she became its governor.  I would guess they have more than the B62m stashed away that they could live off in exile.

While I welcome the conviction and sentencing of these common thieves, I feel that less prolonged judicial process with less severe sentences but greater certainty that the guilty will spend time in prison would have a far greater deterrent effect. Perhaps a good start would be no bail for government officials charged with corruption.  They are all obvious flight risks and can always get out quicker by deducting time served on remand from their sentences. At least Thais on bail for serious offences should be denied passports. 

I wonder if the US will pursue its extradition request now.  That must reduce the list of countries they can hang out in.  The US was also after the daughter's bank account in Jersey.  Which government would have priority, if the funds are released? 

Edited by Dogmatix