New passport application rejected - visa expires next week!

12 hours ago, hdkane said:

Go to the embassy and insert some new pages....a one day trip.

You must be American, right? They do that even when the letters do not continue and the whole passport looks like a fake one afterward.

But that doesn't work for other nationalities. 

You must be American, right? They do that even when the letters do not continue and the whole passport looks like a fake one afterward.

But that doesn't work for other nationalities. 

Also does not work for US any more.

sent using Tapatalk

Thanks again for all your replies to my OP. There is one really important unresolved question that has emerged from all this. When applications are made at the visa application centre in Bangkok, the old passport is handed back without the corners being cut - does the old unexpired passport remain valid at this stage or not?

In my OP I reported that I was informed by UK passport office that the old passport was cancelled at the point the application was received in London and cannot be used for travel. As several posters contradicted this I called UK passport office again  and got a different answer from a different respondent who 'thought' it would remain valid until the new one is issued, but suggested going to the airport and getting it swiped to be sure before going through passport control!?

If there is an approx 4 week wait for the new passport, surely this is a big question for anyone needing a new passport. If you travel in from the provinces to make the application how do you get back home - do you fly on your old passport or endure a 12hr+ bus ride home and another bus ride to pick it up? If you have to travel regionally or outside Thailand for work - what do you do? If your permission to stay runs out due to processing delays, can you use your old passport for an extension or use it to travel out for a new visa?

It would seem logical and reasonable to expect these scenarios to be covered simply by allowing the old passport to remain valid until the UK passport office has posted off the new one, or to allow both passports to remain valid until their expiry - but I personally wouldn't want to have to rely on logic and reason if I was charged with travelling on an invalid passport.

Very surprised I cant get a consistent answer from UK Passport office on the validity of the old passport when it is handed back by visa application centre - has anyone got reliable feedback direct from the Visa Application Centre or other relevant authority on this?

5 hours ago, virgomjh said:

Thanks again for all your replies to my OP. There is one really important unresolved question that has emerged from all this. When applications are made at the visa application centre in Bangkok, the old passport is handed back without the corners being cut - does the old unexpired passport remain valid at this stage or not?

Technically, you are not supposed to use it for travel, and would likely have a problem if you tried to travel to the UK or US using it. It remains valid as a form of identification, and all stamps in the passport (visas, extensions etc.) remain valid.

As I stated in an earlier post, if you really need to, regional travel using the old passport is possible, if not technically supposed to be done. The systems in the region have no idea the old passport is no longer valid for travel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, virgomjh said:

The passport is still valid for all intents and purposes within Thailand. You can get an extension at immigration, travel domestically and etc.

Only for international travel could there be a problem it somebody was to check with the UK passport office about its validity.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, meatboy said:

just checking the infomation leaflet sent with my new passport last yr.it states,for international travel.

CHECK THAT YOUR PASSPORT IS STILL VALID.

www.gov.uk/foreign-travel -advice.

I think that statement is not for people that are living outside the UK. It is for people in UK that seldom travel to check that their passport has not expired before making a trip.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 2:06 AM, elviajero said:

As long as the passport hasn't had the corner cut off, and they can fit the extension stamp in the remaining space (size varies depending the office) in the passport, I would have thought it possible. He should apply for the extension a few days early in case theres a problem in which case he could get an Emergency Travel Document (temp passport) and use that for the extension.

According to the Embassy website, an ETD is exactly for that - travel, not for applying for extensions ?

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

Edited by muzmurray

7 hours ago, virgomjh said:

Is it an actual UK law, or is it just a PP office recommendation ?

It could be a recommendation to stop people applying for a new PP in one Country and then going to another Country and possibly getting stranded in that Country .

I am just interested in this because when I applied for and received a new UK PP in 2012 (without the corner being cut off) I used my old PP numerous times to go abroad , I even left Thailand on my old PP , walked across to Tachilek, got stamped into their on my new PP and came back into Thailand on my new PP , without any questions being asked or details being transferred being done

And I just wondered whether Interpol are now looking for me :smile:

18 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

I thought that you need at least 6 months on a passport in order to get an extension of stay.

There is no problem getting an extension of stay with a passport that has been cancelled by the UK passport office, I have done it.

I applied for a marriage extension to get the 30 days under consideration, passport came back 3 days before that expired.

44 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Is it an actual UK law, or is it just a PP office recommendation ?

It could be a recommendation to stop people applying for a new PP in one Country and then going to another Country and possibly getting stranded in that Country .

I am just interested in this because when I applied for and received a new UK PP in 2012 (without the corner being cut off) I used my old PP numerous times to go abroad , I even left Thailand on my old PP , walked across to Tachilek, got stamped into their on my new PP and came back into Thailand on my new PP , without any questions being asked or details being transferred being done

And I just wondered whether Interpol are now looking for me :smile:

You were a naughty boy! However, you did what others have done with no negative repercussions. If just using the old passport to travel regionally, there would normally be no issue. If you tried to use the old passport to travel to the UK, you would likely have a problem.

8 hours ago, virgomjh said:

If there is an approx 4 week wait for the new passport, surely this is a big question for anyone needing a new passport. If you travel in from the provinces to make the application how do you get back home - do you fly on your old passport or endure a 12hr+ bus ride home and another bus ride to pick it up? If you have to travel regionally or outside Thailand for work - what do you do? If your permission to stay runs out due to processing delays, can you use your old passport for an extension or use it to travel out for a new visa?

This is not actually the case. Your passport will have been cancelled for international travel but it still remains a valid identification document and that is all that is required for domestic travel.

Your agent should not have retained your passport as that is still your official identification if required by the police.

Last month someone I had trusted lost my U.S. passport.

At the time I was in hospital with a broken bone in my left arm.

Long story....but to make it short I applied for and received a new U.S. passport in less than a week processing time though the U.S. embassy in Bangkok.

That included filing a Thai police report about the loss of the original passport.

No complaints here about their service.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
correct typo

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

This is not actually the case. Your passport will have been cancelled for international travel

Do the UK authorities inform the Thai immigration authorities and every other immigration authorities around the World that a PP has been cancelled everytime someone wants to renew their UK PP ?

That would be a huge daily logistical task with no benefit to anyone and it would just cause problems for everyone .

I really doubt whether PP's are actually cancelled .

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Do the UK authorities inform the Thai immigration authorities and every other immigration authorities around the World that a PP has been cancelled everytime someone wants to renew their UK PP ?

As I have written 2 times before in this topic they do not. The only cancel it in their records.

If traveling internationally the only way a problem could  occur is if some authority was to inquire with the UK passport agency about its validity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

That would be a huge daily logistical task with no benefit to anyone and it would just cause problems for everyone .

I really doubt whether PP's are actually cancelled .

No, they tell the applicant not to travel on the old passport and to retain it for personal identification. Entirely up to you if you want to ignore what they say.

I suspect the passport number is just archived from the UK passport database, so it may well depend on other countries being linked to the active database.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As I have written 2 times before in this topic they do not. The only cancel it in their records.

If traveling internationally the only way a problem could  occur is if some authority was to inquire with the UK passport agency about its validity.

I have two valid US passports, have travelled on both, one is about to expire in June so I only use it for Visa Exempt stamps, Visa's go in my other new passport.........no one ever told me not to trvel on the old one.

17 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I have two valid US passports, have travelled on both, one is about to expire in June so I only use it for Visa Exempt stamps, Visa's go in my other new passport.........no one ever told me not to trvel on the old one.

Two passports do not make you two people. The rules apply to you as a person, not as a passport.

"No one ever told me not to travel on the old one" sounds like a very cheap excuse. No idea for what. 

Just now, ajarngreg said:

Two passports do not make you two people. The rules apply to you as a person, not as a passport.

"No one ever told me not to travel on the old one" sounds like a very cheap excuse. No idea for what. 

Read between the lines, I have travelled on both  passports overseas, so they are both valid since neither has expired, was just sayin.............no excuses, none needed...........I assume US Passport Agency would cancel the other passport upon issuing the new one, so far they have not.............I will continue to use my old passport until expiration then use it as identification once it does............

12 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

What is being discussed here is apparently not the same case you have. You have two valid passport that you applied for separately by showing proof you needed 2 passport for some reason.

The OP is applying for renewal of his existing passport not for a 2nd passport.

On 3/31/2017 at 1:20 AM, PoorSucker said:

UK, making passport renewal back to colonial times.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Indeed. When I last renewed my passport via Hong Kong 4 years ago, I was able to complete an electronic application form devised by the (now former) Regional Passport Processing Centre.

Since then, HMPO have reverted to the colonial (or even pre-colonial?) era practice of requiring applicants to dip quills into pots of black ink in order to complete a complex application form in their ultra-neatest handwriting.

Such is "progress" HMPO-style.

Edited by OJAS

On 4/1/2017 at 0:46 PM, OJAS said:

Indeed. When I last renewed my passport via Hong Kong 4 years ago, I was able to complete an electronic application form devised by the (now former) Regional Passport Processing Centre.

Since then, HMPO have reverted to the colonial (or even pre-colonial?) era practice of requiring applicants to dip quills into pots of black ink in order to complete a complex application form in their ultra-neatest handwriting.

Such is "progress" HMPO-style.

It's Hardly A Complex Application Form.....I've just completed mine in approx 5 Minutes !!

• Like 1