Officials urged to prevent sexual harassments against women during Songkran festival

webfact

Officials urged to prevent sexual harassments against women during Songkran festival

234_Songkran.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security has been urged by anti-alcohol, women and parental networks to immediately take steps to prevent sexual harassments against women, especially during Songkran festival.

In a petition submitted to the ministry and received by Department of Women’s Affairs and Family Development chief Lertpanya Buranabandhit, the activist groups presented findings from a recent opinion poll regarding sexual harassments during Songkran festival and the value held by quite a few men that they can sexually harass women with impunity.

Of the 1,793 women aged 10-40 polled, the findings show 85.9 percent despise sexual harassments and wanted measures to be put in place to prevent the misconduct while 51.9 percent admitted they used to be sexually harassed, especially in areas where alcohol drinks are on sale.

The groups have demanded the ministry to launch a publicity campaign for a stop of the malpractice and to coordinate with the police and local law enforcement officials to strictly enforce the law to ensure safety for women and girls during the festival.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/officials-urged-prevent-sexual-harassments-women-songkran-festival/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-30

Between you and I, if you need to turn to harassment to get a girl's attention, you should focus on self-development and improve your value instead.

There are many ways to get a girl's attention and get her interested to you, but harassing and unwanted contact is probably not the right one.

What about sexual harassment of men?  This old rooster would be disappointed if he were not sexually harassed by women while going about his daily shopping around the Sois of Sukhumvit; be it Songkran or any other time? It's always certain to bring on a few cock-a-doodle dos.

Over the years I have been sexually assaulted at songkran by hundreds of women.

pattaya is a hot spot for it, but in issan if you are the only farang it is almost as if they line up for their turn. Like they want to check out the rumors.

God bless Thailand.

Just remember farang wet weather young guns. Last year a young man clutching his water pistol was fined 500 baht for being naked from the waist up during Songkran. For better or worse Thailand has some obscure law which does not allow men or women to expose their nipples. The RTP can use it at their convenience should someone be causing a problem.

However it seems culturally acceptable for Thai men to wander about semi-naked without penalty. 

Have fun during Songkran,  I am glad that I left Thailand before that festival,  personally I like Loey Kratong, pardon my spelling, Much better

less wet as well.  I found it hot at the end of my 2.5 months in Thailand. I prefer , Novewmber ,December and January weather and temperatures better.

Geezer

Taken part in many a songkran water fight. In Khao San Road, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Isaan and the last couple of years around my local neighbourhood. Not seen any girls complain of being touched or gropped. Not once.

I've seen girls dress in skimpy outfits such as hotpants and tight mini t-shirts, etc.. But never seen a Thai male being disrespectful to a girl dressed up sexy. Even the groups of drunk men know not to touch the girls parts. In my opinion if you did grab the breasts or touch the bum, etc you'd get beaten up, by more than one.

As for foreigners touching Thai women in Songkran. Again even straight off the plane you wouldn't grop a stranger even if you were in the red light areas, Nana, Cowboy and Pattaya. I think there was a phone cam movie on youtube last year that caused outrage to Thai netizens. A foreign man giving a bar girl oral outside a bar during Songkran. But this is a rare occurance and if someone hadn't recorded it no one would have said anything.

Nope, don't worry girls I think your pretty safe. Enjoy the water festival and Khao San Road is Celebrating Songkran this year with water fights and lots of fun. The difference this year is the music stage will not be there.

Edited by Wilsonandson

I think they should make wearing a bra during Songkran a rule. When those Tshirts get soaked they leave nothing to the imagination. That being said as much as temptation is starring you in the face don't touch. Well back to the fun room where I have a realistic dress model set up wearing a Tshirt. Time to load the water gun. She never complains. 

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

I think they should make wearing a bra during Songkran a rule. When those Tshirts get soaked they leave nothing to the imagination. That being said as much as temptation is starring you in the face don't touch. Well back to the fun room where I have a realistic dress model set up wearing a Tshirt. Time to load the water gun. She never complains. 

Problem making Bra wearing a rule, it makes it harder to pick the girls from the boys -  wet or dry padded bra's are still cheating.

the only way they could do that would be to castrate all thai males, most have little or no respect for females and think only of themselves. Maybe teaching the parents that their sons are not number one and can do as they please would help too, then there are the farang bar flies that simply think its their right to grope any females they want to, the real sorry excuses for males

Edited by seajae