Appeals Court rejects Juthamas’ bail request

webfact

Appeals Court rejects Juthamas’ bail request
By The Nation 

d233d2c7248760f4afeefe40c6f8b2d7.jpeg

Former Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Juthamas Siriwan, sentenced to 50 years' jail for corruption this week, arrives at the Criminal Court on Friday to learn that her bail application was rejected.

BANGKOK: -- The Appeal Court on Friday rejected bail requests made by former Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) governor Juthamas Siriwan and her daughter, citing the possibility the defendants might flee the country due to the severity of their sentences for corruption.

On Wednesday, the Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases sentenced Juthamas to 50 years in prison for demanding and receiving a bribe of more than US$1.8 million (Bt60 million) to enable an American business couple to get the rights to run the Bangkok International Film Festival. 

Her daughter Jittisopha was sentenced to 44 years in jail on the same charge.

Juthamas and Jittisopha were put behind bars on Wednesday following a delay in the court’s ruling on their bail applications.

The pair sought release on bail, offering a guarantee of Bt1 million each. The primary court, however, passed on the bail request to the Appeal Court.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30310885

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-31

if there ever was a convict with a reason to flee the country, this woman

and her daughter are, with 50 years jail terms and money stashed

overseas they're the picture perfect of flight risk....

"citing the possibility the defendants might flee the country due to the severity of their sentences for corruption.",

I would say thats a given,anyway the bail offered at 1 M THB,is way too little,better keep them locked up,at least

they know where they are, let them seek bail and appeals from behind bars, It would be great if this became the

norm,for serious crimes.

regards worgeordie

4 hours ago, idman said:

OMG, these two have to stay in prison??? Amazing Thailand this time around.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Some of the schams under one regime after pay offs are considered legal the again under another are not considered legal.The smart play here is that if you got $1,800,000 US Dollars from a scam,get the hell out of Dodge. Go live elsewhere dummies.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK: -- The Appeal Court on Friday rejected bail requests made by former Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) governor Juthamas Siriwan and her daughter, citing the possibility the defendants might flee the country due to the severity of their sentences for corruption.

And that trophy goes to the Red Bull "Boss"

27 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

Some of the schams under one regime after pay offs are considered legal the again under another are not considered legal.The smart play here is that if you got $1,800,000 US Dollars from a scam,get the hell out of Dodge. Go live elsewhere dummies.

Always lookin for that one dollar more. 

4 hours ago, idman said:

OMG, these two have to stay in prison??? Amazing Thailand this time around.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Did they possibly serve in the now defunct Shin's regime? It is now "The night of the long knives" if they did. 50 years for corruption kind of boggles the mind. Is this one of those Guinness book of record sentences??

3 hours ago, sanukjim said:

You would think that, right? But 1.8 mil is chicken scratch in Western countries. And they would have to give up the teat (guessing this wasn't the only thing they had going on here) and be regular joes overseas. No opportunity to show off and be hi-so big fish in a tiny pond. 

3 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Did they possibly serve in the now defunct Shin's regime? It is now "The night of the long knives" if they did. 50 years for corruption kind of boggles the mind. Is this one of those Guinness book of record sentences??

50 years for corruption kind of boggles the mind

I think it is ok in a country where corruption is the normal way of hiso - in particular if the ill gotten money amounts to millions

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

To say that my Flabber is Gasted is an understatement, maybe, just maybe we could be witnessing real justice in Thailand, but I won't hold my breath as Blue doesn't suit me :thumbsup:

Yes real justice would be the order of the day but like manure lets spread it around a bit.