Ripped off at Soi Cowboy

Billy Sweets

51 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

50 comments but none I could see from the OP. All very odd. I went through SC once on a visit to BKK with my TW. If I had chosen to stop for a beer firstly  'er indoors would not be best pleased if I bought a lady drink and secondly if she saw a 14,861B check bin she would of gone ballistic . The Op says he has visited SC numerous times yet easily gets scammed . Maybe the checkbin was for 1,486B but was pi$$ed so threw his dummy out. 

I would be suspicious of anyone who starts a topic and never replies. The OP has had a lot of good replies here and so far, doesn't even

have the decency to answer any of them.

Edited by possum1931

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually IMHO- the GoGo scene is not long for this World. The prices they charge will continue to go up because the land they sit on is very valuable. There is a certain point at which the punters will not pay for what is offered. I would never pay 200 Baht for a beer on Cowboy when I know places I can get a pint for 100 Baht or a bottle for 60 Baht. The girls are a diversion that is not worth the price - ridiculous bar fine prices; ridiculous prices for extra activities. They will eventually put themselves out of business. I see both Cowboy and Nana as gone in less than 5 years- replaced by commercial enterprises. 

i used google (i already know the names of the bars) to see what other stories i could find.  one i saw seemed a bit strange.  these two guys knew to use the strategy of 'pay as you go'.  spent about 3,000thb.  then when they were ready to leave, they were presented with another bill of about 5,000thb.  but that got negotiated down to 3,000thb (so paid 6,000).

i have never heard of that 'rip off' type.  i tend to believe that one more than this 15,000 deal.  but that really throws a wrench into the wheel of the  'pay as you go' strategy.  so probably back to my suggestion of - see a beer price of 200thb, walk out.

i don't think these bars exist to make money from selling beer and lady drinks.  they have alterior motives for having these operations.

I must lead a charmed life. I have been hitting the bars in Southeast Asia for over 50 years and have had very little problem. I have been going to Soi Cowboy since it came into existence and never had a problem there. Sure, I have heard the stories of rip-off and bait and switch, but as with the stories of being cuckolded by your gf/wife, I have not experienced it. I cannot help but think it may be due to my actions: I rarely get drunk, I speak some of the language, I rarely raise my voice or appear upset, and I just act like it was a simple mistake. Perhaps not making them lose face helps a bit.  

6 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I must lead a charmed life. I have been hitting the bars in Southeast Asia for over 50 years and have had very little problem. I have been going to Soi Cowboy since it came into existence and never had a problem there. Sure, I have heard the stories of rip-off and bait and switch, but as with the stories of being cuckolded by your gf/wife, I have not experienced it. I cannot help but think it may be due to my actions: I rarely get drunk, I speak some of the language, I rarely raise my voice or appear upset, and I just act like it was a simple mistake. Perhaps not making them lose face helps a bit.  

What are the cuckold stories ? I havnt heard that version of a rip off.

Just now, Peterw42 said:

What are the cuckold stories ? I havnt heard that version of a rip off.

The standard tale of woe where the foreign man gets treated as a long-term customer rather than a husband/bf.

20 hours ago, Spaniel said:

I haven't been to Soi Cowboy in many years.      What is the "Arab's bars" as mentioned in several posts?     

Not sure if you're trying to be clever by pretending to be stupid. If it said the American's bars or the Thai's bars or the Australian's bars would you question that? If so, why? What are you pretending not to understand, and why?

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

The standard tale of woe where the foreign man gets treated as a long-term customer rather than a husband/bf.

Ahh ok, I thought some elaborate new bar scam that I wasnt aware of.

advice for future visits...

you should settle up after every single drink... (do not ever do a running tab!!!!)

order a drink pay for it as soon as it arrives!

Every bar at soi I go to will bring your drink and the bill at the same time.

don't take a single sip until you pay for your drink.

they bring you a shot or a beer look at the bill if its not correct, you can do something about it.(i changed my mind i don't want this drink, Why does this drink cost 1000 baht.....)

On 4/1/2017 at 11:05 AM, smutcakes said:

Forget about it, move on. Inform people you know but don't beat yourself up over it. You won't get any money back and you are just likely to cause yourself issues if you go trying to create problems for them. Chalk it down as a bad night and move forward.

All of these type of things should be reported to the Police.

If you do not report it the Police do not know.

How many other people have been ripped off and not report it.

Someone has to start the ball rolling.

Stand up and be a man.

I think you will be surprised of the help the Police will give.

On 4/1/2017 at 11:20 AM, Peterw42 said:

In the future pay as you go, and paying with a credit card is just asking for trouble.

It does seem beyond any normal padding of the bill. Most bars will put the dockets for the drinks you buy in the wooden cup at your table and provide an itemized account when paying, This was not the case ??

What were the drinks, 100 baht beers or 800 baht cocktails ?

There is nothing like the prospect of a good time to distract ones attentions from reality. 

On 4/2/2017 at 0:58 AM, fruitman said:

Since 15 year in BKK i have never been to Soi Cowboy...i even won't go to Thonglor at all if not necessary.

Google has plenty of info about it.

Whats the problem?  :whistling:

I quite often walk (slowly - some lovely eye candy) thru there on my way to my hotel in Soi 23, but usually, never stop except at Country Road for a drink and some loud enjoyable music. Or go into the Old Dutch restaurant at the other end for a bite to eat.

35 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Not sure if you're trying to be clever by pretending to be stupid. If it said the American's bars or the Thai's bars or the Australian's bars would you question that? If so, why? What are you pretending not to understand, and why?

"trying to be clever by pretending to be stupid!!"   Great reply.  I don't know what you're talking about.      I guess you didn't understand  my question.     Several posts referred to  the "Arab's bars"  and I was wondering which bars that referred too.     What is it you don't understand?

I've never heard of this type of overcharging at Soi Cowboy but I think paying the bill by credit card was smart as you can then contact your company and ask for a chargeback/ disputed transaction. I think this thread is good advice for anyone who might potentially find themselves in this situation - ask for a reciept and pay by credit card. It's one of those situations where paying for something on credit card is a smart move. It's like if you ever get divorced, hire legal representation and put it on a credit card intead of using your savings - that way your spouse is on the hook for at least half of your legal costs. 

On 01/04/2017 at 10:17 PM, RonniePickering22 said:

Contact your credit card company immediately and give them all of the details of this transaction.

They will chargeback the entire amount most likely.

Why would they? How does the bank know he didn't rack up that bill? He did pay the bill with a credit card he handed over to the bar, so it would be difficult to prove otherwise.

Anything is possible but I doubt in this case he will get anything back from his credit company

On 1 April, 2017 at 1:46 PM, 11223344 said:

The OP is a hit and run guy... new profile, one post. Who knows what has he done to the poor GoGo Bar's owner

Sort of like you who popped up March 20, but has an intimate knowledge of a place of ill repute.

To be blunt, I have no sympathy for the people ripped off  in Soi cowboy, Patpong, Nana etc. They are know for their criminal and  dishonest practices. It has been thoroughly documented. There are literally  thousands of other establishments where one can have a good time, meet beautiful ladies (or trannies, or men), run by honest Thais or foreigners. One need not make a beeline to the clip joints of Bangkok. 

These  bars have to be  rough and tough as their rents are exorbitant and the "fees" paid are sky high. Go to a nicer area and not only is the atmosphere better, but it is safer. It's like hanging out in the Red Light district of Amsterdam or around its train station and then whinging about how you got pick pocketed or mugged.

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

No, I believe he was scammed. I just finished reading several articles on the internet which names the bars in question on Soi Cowboy and confirms the scams and prices charged.  Do the Google search and you will understand what happened to the OP.  Apparently, this has been going on for some time and I am quite surprised they continue to get away with. One of these days they will do it to the wrong person or group and it won't end well.

It has been going on and will continue as long as the protection  needed is provided  by some people who are legally allowed to carry guns and who make a living through shakedowns.

I say garbage ..this is obviously a troll post....14,861 THB is the big clue just a made up random number; might just have said it was 55,555 or 12,345 baht...OP never has been back after his 1st post LOL , believe nothing what you read and half of what you see

On 4/1/2017 at 11:20 AM, Peterw42 said:

In the future pay as you go, and paying with a credit card is just asking for trouble.

It does seem beyond any normal padding of the bill. Most bars will put the dockets for the drinks you buy in the wooden cup at your table and provide an itemized account when paying, This was not the case ??

What were the drinks, 100 baht beers or 800 baht cocktails ?

Thailand is known for credit card scams, errors, shops / shop staff selling card information, etc., etc. You seem to live here, surely you know this. Why would you ever use a cc in such an establishment?

By the way, did the cc slip (assuming they have a more modern machine that spits out a slip with all details for you to sign) have all the card number 16 digits printed in full, or it printed like this xxxx xxxx xxxx 1234 or similar?

Nowadays by Bank of Thailand regulations all cc machines must print using the xxxx ........ system, and banks are supposed to check this.

53 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Sort of like you who popped up March 20, but has an intimate knowledge of a place of ill repute.

To be blunt, I have no sympathy for the people ripped off  in Soi cowboy, Patpong, Nana etc. They are know for their criminal and  dishonest practices. It has been thoroughly documented. There are literally  thousands of other establishments where one can have a good time, meet beautiful ladies (or trannies, or men), run by honest Thais or foreigners. One need not make a beeline to the clip joints of Bangkok. 

These  bars have to be  rough and tough as their rents are exorbitant and the "fees" paid are sky high. Go to a nicer area and not only is the atmosphere better, but it is safer. It's like hanging out in the Red Light district of Amsterdam or around its train station and then whinging about how you got pick pocketed or mugged.

Agree with GK, and I add, every country has a small % of folks who have a mindset / desire to rip people off, of violence, harassment, theft, organized scams, intimidation etc., and these people automatically gravitate to soi cowboy, nana, patpong and the similar areas on the beach resorts.

Also reality of life they don't care about laws or regulations or ethics, they laugh at the risks of getting caught, they have no hesitation to go right ahead and cheat, scam, rip off, conduct violence, intimidate etc. 

Why go there, as GK rightly says there are thousands of other venues all over Thailand to have a good time without such hassles.  

Enjoy.

Edited by scorecard

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thailand is known for credit card scams, errors, shops / shop staff selling card information, etc., etc. You seem to live here, surely you know this. Why would you ever use a cc in such an establishment?

If the OP's post is legitimate, then one difference probably is:

--if he had paid the bill in cash, there's little to no chance of ever getting any back.

--but since he paid it via CC, there's probably a pretty good chance of getting his credit card company to reverse the charge or a portion of it, once he disputes it.

Needless to say, not everyone goes out for the evening carrying 15K in spare cash in their wallet.

4 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

Well, if the credit card is from a Thai bank, it is not always that straight forward. 

First, credit cards from Thai banks have nothing close to the liability and protection of Visa or other from a ... say ... usa bank. In the USA, you can contest charges easily, and are only ever liable for the first $50 of charges if card is lost or stolen. 

Not same here. If your card is lost/stolen you must prove it was not possible for you to have made the charges . True. I know a guy, was in Atlanta, used the card in ATM where it was ripped off and 20 minutes later started multiple charges on the card 2,000 miles away. Impossible physically? Not a problem for the imagination of the bank. Total loss to the friend was about $10,000. It took him 2 years to get it fixed and required contacting a friend of friend who worked at the bank (using a personal request to an exec at the bank). 

I am very careful with credit cards here and would not use them in streets like soi cowboy. 

Also, if I am mentally compromised (intoxicated) I always switch to pay as I go. Sometimes I lose my seat or they get annoyed. I figure small price to pay to reduce risk. 

I somehow doubt anyone who has a Thai credit card is going to be ripped off in this manner. :whistling:

If you doubt this story- you might want to peruse the internet- it's full of stories/reports about punters being ripped off on Cowboy from one of these 6 bars that are named very explicitly in the reports. 

I was walking through Soi Cowboy a few weeks back during the daytime- it has become a rundown shell of what it used to be 10 years ago when it actually was a fun place to go. I simply avoid the place now - as one of the posters mentioned there are literally thousands of places to have a drink and a chat that are so much better than Cowboy, Nana or Patpong. These places have been ruined by rising rents; poor attitudes and the fact is the Government would love to see them all close.

The places on Cowboy that are ripping off customers have a methodology to get people in; then extort them for drinks they never ordered. These places are being protected as I am sure there have been numerous complaints.  I read in one of the complaints that a punter paid cash for every drink and when he was about to leave he was presented with a bill for the same drinks. That is a tough one to argue out of when you are surrounded by security and angry hucksters demanding money. These bars are making more money from extortion than actually selling alcohol.