Thailand in crosshairs of Trump’s trade policy

rooster59

Thailand in crosshairs of Trump’s trade policy

By THE SUNDAY NATION, AGENCIES

2ff09e892856715f1cadef4d51ab171e.jpeg

THAILAND will be among 16 countries to be targeted by the Donald Trump administration in its attempt to narrow the United States’ massive trade imbalances.

US President Trump has signed two executive orders directing his administration to review the country’s trade deficits and clamp down on countries that abuse trade rules. He said the new executive orders signed on Friday (yesterday Thailand time) would start a new chapter for American workers and businesses.

“I’m signing two executive orders that send this message loud and clear. And that set the stage for a great revival of American manufacturing,” Trump said at his office in the White House. 

In Washington DC, the US leader largely blamed “unscrupulous foreign powers” for his country’s trade imbalance. He said those countries were aided by US special interests that have helped push through bad trade deals.

He promised to crack down on “foreign importers that cheat”, saying that the new executive orders would lead to a historic reversal of the nation’s trade deficit.

“They’re cheaters! From now on, those who break the rules will face the consequences and they’ll be very severe consequences,” Trump was quoted as saying by USA Today. One of the two executive orders requires a report on the reasons for the trade imbalance within 90 days. That report will focus on 16 countries with which the US had a significant trade deficit in goods last year – China, Japan, Germany, Mexico, Ireland, Vietnam, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, India, Thailand, France, Switzerland, Taiwan, Indonesia and Canada – according to the newspaper. The US Commerce Department and the US trade representative will be required to conduct a 90-day review of the causes of the massive US trade deficits. The study will be on the effects of abuses such as dumping of products below cost, unfair subsidies, “misaligned” currencies and “non-reciprocal” trade practices by other countries. 

“We’re going to investigate all trade abuses, and, based on those findings, we will take necessary and lawful action to end those many abuses,” Trump said. “Thousands of factories have been stolen from our country, but these voiceless Americans now have a voice in the White House. Under my administration, the theft of American prosperity will end. We’re going to defend our industry and create a level playing field for the American worker, finally,” the US president said.

Trade volume between Thailand and the US was worth was an average US$37 billion (Bt1.29 trillion) annually over the past four years. Thai exports to the US in 2015 and 2016 were valued at $23.6 billion and $24.3 billion respectively, according to the Customs Department.

Over the past four years, Thailand has had a trade surplus with the US – $8 billion in 2013, $9 billion in 2014, $9.8 billion in 2015, and $12.2 billion in 2016. The surplus with the US last year represented 68 per cent of Thailand’s total trade surplus of $17.9 billion. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311040

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-02

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have like to see an executive order banning all ownership of properties

by Thai nationals living in the US until such time the Thai government will

allow US citizens an equal rights to own properties outright and without jumping trough hoops here in Thailand....

Edited by ezzra

Nearly every major world economic power is on Trump's wacky list.  It's like a who's who of successful industrialized nations...although not surprised Russia is not on the list.  Also amazing that most of the OPEC members are not on Trump's list.  It seems Trump has a hands-off approach to Putin and the Oil and Gas industry.

On the bright side, would love to see some American products imported to Thailand cheaper.  Not holding my breath.

6 minutes ago, ezzra said:

allow US citizens an equal rights to own properties outright and without jumping trough hoops here in Thailand....

Not that song again.  Most Thais living in the US are in fact US citizens.  So what you're suggesting would do nothing to impact those Thais.

Wish Australia had a Trump.  Australia doesnt own or manufacture a bloody thing the entire stock has been sold off to overseas intetests.  God we dont even own the water.

That sound familiar (UK)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The intesting thing is many of the stolen manufacturing by "foreigners" were perpetuated by American companies setting up shop in foreign countries, then shutting down USA-located factories. Why are those American companies off the hook by Trump?

Nearly every major world economic power is on Trump's wacky list.  It's like a who's who of successful industrialized nations...although not surprised Russia is not on the list.  Also amazing that most of the OPEC members are not on Trump's list.  It seems Trump has a hands-off approach to Putin and the Oil and Gas industry.  

On the bright side, would love to see some American products imported to Thailand cheaper.  Not holding my breath.

More like list of successful exporters to the USA where consumers and ?? USA companies are buying cheaper than American-made same products. Will those consumers be happy to pay more for two same items, substantially in some cases?

28 minutes ago, ezzra said:

That will never happen. Trump doesn't care whether US expats can buy land in Thailand. 

That will never happen. Trump doesn't care whether US expats can buy land in Thailand. 

Trump is all about Corporate and billionaire businessmen, all his buddies and peers. I'm sure we'll never see an increase in minimum wage that would benefit the 50MM working poor in USA. And yes, forget about support to expats.... Trump probably sees expats as scum for living abroad abandoning America!

I would suspect that for any of the goods being made overseas to be made in America, to remain competitive, are not going to be providing high paying jobs.

Minimum wage jobs keep people on the poverty line, and I don't think the average US worker enjoys poverty.

53 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

This Fake President is such a lying hipocrite. He uses steel made in China for anything he builds. His daughter/wife sells clothing made in China. This guy is such a leach/liar is so apparent. I hope he is gone from America as soon as possible.

54 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

And not just the US please.

2 hours ago, jerojero said:

The intesting thing is many of the stolen manufacturing by "foreigners" were perpetuated by American companies setting up shop in foreign countries, then shutting down USA-located factories. Why are those American companies off the hook by Trump?

True, the real problem with manufacturing is the infrastructure.  Banks in the US, unlike their counterparts in China, Hong Kong, Singapore or Taiwan are set up mostly for home and car loans.  Smaller US companies in the US have had to HSBC as they understand trade and manufacturing.  It can be a nightmare working up a letter of credit with a US bank where Asian banks make it far easier.  

US taxes do not help at all. 

Thailand should have seen this coming and offered to lower their tariffs on certain things from the US, but Thailand reacts.  It does not prepare.  

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

What are the import taxes when importing goods from Thailand to the US ?

Depends on the goods and if their is a punitive action for dumping.  Seem to remember 6% as the average. 

the Elites the pocket the tariffs on imports are not going to stop until they are forced to.

but who knows, maybe we will be able to pay $10 for a bottle of imported wine from California and not $25.

Edited by NCC1701A

6 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

the Elites the pocket the tariffs on imports are not going to stop until they are forced to.

maybe we will be able to pay $10 for a bottle of imported wine from California and not $25.

would be nice

2 hours ago, jerojero said:

Trump is all about Corporate and billionaire businessmen, all his buddies and peers. I'm sure we'll never see an increase in minimum wage that would benefit the 50MM working poor in USA. And yes, forget about support to expats.... Trump probably sees expats as scum for living abroad abandoning America!

If he does give them increases, they can kiss their local industries goodbye. Manufacturers left US shores because they can get the mfg done so much cheaper overseas. He wants to bring in laws that defy the market. Affordability (not) and inflation will be the name of the game if he gets away with this.

It seems foolish to call out countries as cheats; it is the language of an ill informed bully. 16 countries may be in his crosshairs but Trump is firing blanks. His own party is undermining his attempts to govern by shouting abuse. There is a long line of Republicans who have Trump in their crosshairs. They will be delivering a knife to the back, rather than a bullet.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

I would like to see Thailand make Americans on Retirement Extenions provide proof of income to their immigration officials since it is a well known fact the American Embassy allows CHEATERS to show zero proof of income.