Police top brass declare Khao San Road safe for tourists

webfact

Police top brass declare Khao San Road safe for tourists

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- Top brass from the national and met police descended on Khao San Road last night to declare the area safe for tourists.

There were there to launch the latest government inspired scheme to protect tourists and their belongings entitled "Safety Zone Khao San Road 2017".

Sanook reported that the aim was not just safety - they wanted to bring some smiles too making it a "Happy Zone" as well, rather like the designation given to Walking Street in Pattaya.

The ideais to make the streets crime free by stepping up patrols of police and soldiers and installing CCTV everywhere.

Joining the fanfare and hullabaloo on stage outside Chanasongkram police station were national police deputy chief Chalermkiat Sriworakhan and metropolitan head Sanit Mahathavorn.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-04

What about the rest of Bangkok ?   The proclimations that are made in this country rarely seemed well thought out.  Why not just welcome people and refrain from making silly statements ?

So is the back packing crowd are now considered valued tourists ? 

2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

declaring it safe is tempting fate. they would be better off giving some advice to travelers rather than spouting these un based claims.

Do they deliberately set themselves up for a fall and loss of face with statements like that?  It is a bit like declaring that enormous measures have been taken to ensure safety on the roads during Songkran, only to find that accidents and road deaths turn out to be  higher than the previous year.

Still they do all look smart in their nice uniforms, but then you would expect that because they are hardly ever used outside their offices.

It seems that it is only at photo opportunities that the police can turn out in any numbers, although those who turned out for the errant Abbot's siege fiasco looked impressive.......providing you ignore the result.

I think if they change Khao San Road too much it'll be a shame, and it'll probably lose it's appeal to travellers. I've gone back there several times over the past 15 years or so, and the place is not what it used to be.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and it looks like my 'go to' bar Gullivers has now closed down.  I don't know if it's a permanent closure, or just another over officious temporary shut down by the police. Either way I was not happy!

8 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Do they deliberately set themselves up for a fall and loss of face with statements like that?  It is a bit like declaring that enormous measures have been taken to ensure safety on the roads during Songkran, only to find that accidents and road deaths turn out to be  higher than the previous year.

Still they do all look smart in their nice uniforms, but then you would expect that because they are hardly ever used outside their offices.

It seems that it is only at photo opportunities that the police can turn out in any numbers, although those who turned out for the errant Abbot's siege fiasco looked impressive.......providing you ignore the result.

Its it only the sharp old aging eyes of foreigners that see through this charade and recognize it for what it is? I guess it impresses the H out of tourists which I suppose is their main goal. 

12 hours ago, yellowboat said:

What about the rest of Bangkok ?   The proclimations that are made in this country rarely seemed well thought out.  Why not just welcome people and refrain from making silly statements ?

So is the back packing crowd are now considered valued tourists ? 

They use the old throw Sh*t and some will stick approach. 

So they are actually admitting that parts of Thailand are NOT safe...

Some of us without our heads in the sand already knew that... Take a look at Patts... High Heel bashings and many other attractions