Middle finger is an offense in Thailand . .

gentry

5 minutes ago, Minnie the Minx said:

Many years ago when I lived in Ekamai I used to take a motocy taxi from my street up to the Skytrain.

Rode side saddle, and yes with a skirt used to get a lot of pervs, not intentional either.

Had enough of three guys who like clockwork as soon as I got on a motocy every morning would  follow me in their car waving etc. I threw my big milk tea at their car one day and hit their windscreen, all that lovely stuff making the driver temporarily blind. Effer drove on the footpath and hit a pole. A couple got out and started chasing lol. I smiled, waved and that was it. Never saw them again but guess I was lucky.

I like looking at girls in a skirt riding side saddle on a motorbike, does that make me a perv?

I would think that any guy not looking in the same circumstances is certainly not normal, and while I'm here Minnie, throwing any liquid over a moving cars windscreen is showing the same mentality as these morons at Songcran, very dangerous.

Just now, possum1931 said:

I like looking at girls in a skirt riding side saddle on a motorbike, does that make me a perv?

I would think that any guy not looking in the same circumstances is certainly not normal, and while I'm here Minnie, throwing any liquid over a moving cars windscreen is showing the same mentality as these morons at Songcran, very dangerous.

hmmm . . . that was kind of out of left field . . . .

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Not at all, it does not make you a perv, you would have to have been there. I'm sure you don't get up and jump in a car and follow women on motocys around either.

5 minutes ago, Minnie the Minx said:

Not at all, it does not make you a perv, you would have to have been there. I'm sure you don't get up and jump in a car and follow women on motocys around either.

No! I follow them on my motorbike.:heart_001::laugh:

A little off the point but I was on my motorcycle when a Thai on a bike cut me up. We pulled up at the lights andvi said something about being careful, his hand went inside his jacket but the girl on the back stopped him taking whatever it was out .. Draw your own conclusions.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, 01322521959 said:

A little off the point but I was on my motorcycle when a Thai on a bike cut me up. We pulled up at the lights andvi said something about being careful, his hand went inside his jacket but the girl on the back stopped him taking whatever it was out .. Draw your own conclusions.

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The guy was obviously a bit smaller than you....

4 hours ago, Minnie the Minx said:

So dangerous driving possibly leading to death or serious injury is worth a 100 baht penalty and it is on a par with exposing your middle finger which is classified as 'defamation'?

I'm not up on all these defamation laws in Thailand, I do know of a guy who was attacking an individual on a forum ( since defunct) who got a one year holiday at the expense of the gov, may be an interesting topic of discussion what exactly is defamation.

Simple.  Defamation is anything you say about someone that they do not like you saying.  truth is not relevant.  The fact that you saying it made them lose face is the whole of it. That is defamation in Thailand.  Live with it or leave.  End of story.  PS.  Flipping the bird is offensive in any country and will get you killed in more places than just Thailand.  In several states of the USA it will not improve your health and may even induce lead poisoning.

Edited by The Deerhunter

1 hour ago, Minnie the Minx said:

Do you actually know the difference between libel and defamation? I had a boring one year of law school, just wondering.

libel and slander are english torts. a tort is a civil wrong.

other western countries have a similar system.

libel is when you write and publish something negative about a person.

slander is when you spread negative stories about a person by word of mouth.

a defense for both slander and libel is truth but it is seldom used since the slander and libel can become worse.

defamation is a thai legal term which covers both libel and slander.

truth is not a defense for defamation.

hence you cannot write or talk about a criminal in thailand since he or she  can then sue you for defamation.

4 hours ago, balo said:

Yes, using the middle finger must be avoided.  I did it myself many years ago before I knew how bad Thais handle this .  In Bangkok a guy followed me all the way back to my hotel after I gave him the finger inside a shopping mall because he was trying to sell me some crap.  Never again .  One guy was shot dead in Chiang Mai after he did the same to another biker. 

I had a farang on a motorbike give me the one-fingered defamation salute today when he thought I should have given way to him. I gave him some 118 dB air horn for his trouble.

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I had a farang on a motorbike give me the one-fingered defamation salute today when he thought I should have given way to him. I gave him some 118 dB air horn for his trouble.

you should refer him to this post . . . .

there's nothing more eloquent than the finger...

https://www.amazon.com/11x14-Easy-Rider-Dennis-Hopper/dp/B008O9CV24

but be prepared for the consequences...a western guy I knew in Abu Dhabi flipped off some local that was doggin' him on the road and the guy got his number plate...next thing he knew the cops came and grabbed him and he was in the slammer fer the weekend...and we had an important commissioning activity that was held up as a result...

hey! Ahmed! sit on it and rotate!

Edited by tutsiwarrior

15 hours ago, barry553 said:

Offensive gestures can be richly deserved due to selfish or stupid driving. Its not clever but on the other hand I dont want to live like a coward.

I learned some years ago that the locals over-reacted to something like this.

Despite one pulling out in front of me when I was on my motorbike, a lot dangerously. But of course that is acceptable behaviour. :post-4641-1156693976:

Here is my take.  When I first got here I once gave a guy the finger who was tailgating me. Funny, he rolled down his window and gave the flip back. That was the first time I found out it was a sign everyone knew around the world?

After years, and a number of confrontations as noted where drivers in cars would actually use their vehicles like a weapon. Now, many might not agree but what I know now in general is when it comes to Farangs it set them off quicker. I've concluded it is their upbringing and brainwashing in school that Thailand is the greatest and the center of the world. In short, this is their country and doing or complaining is a great lost of face to them. 

As for the fine, being a police is not rocket science. Many are subcontracted and have limited powers and do not actually know the laws on the books. I once involved in small accident, the police wanted to settle the argument by me paying a small fine, I reply nicely no, why because and I pull out the driver book under my seat. Told him this is what we go by not " this is thailand "  stuff.  The guy had no license, ran the stop sign, end of story.

As noted by another poster, do as they do, act stupid, smile and get back on the bike and leave.

18 hours ago, barry553 said:

Offensive gestures can be richly deserved due to selfish or stupid driving. Its not clever but on the other hand I dont want to live like a coward.

Well said

18 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Giving the finger can easily land u in the hospital better practice your wai.

Wai is for Thai's ...Not Me!

Back in my country I always carried a hand gun, but here I can not carry one.....So I use my finger

clint-eastwood.jpeg

53 minutes ago, doggie1955 said:

Wai is for Thai's ...Not Me!

Back in my country I always carried a hand gun, but here I can not carry one.....So I use my finger

clint-eastwood.jpeg

The wai is much nicer and more hygiene  than a handshake.i trully wish the rest of the world would ban the handshake and follow Thailand with their Wai.

23 hours ago, lungnorm said:

Oh what a civilised place Thailand is. Law against giving the bird ???  What a load of crap. Learn a few ban Thai words I know they hate that. Don't give the bird, just smash em in the face. Same fine. 

Good point!