Survival guide on crossing roads in Thailand

EricTh

1 hour ago, INDI12 said:

first time here some 30 yrs ago an old thai man in bkk told me how to cross the road here. Never forgot it I am still here and never a close call.

go slowly across looking both ways little by little one lane at a time if need be. drivers will go around you. and in my experience they do.

That Thai man gave you the wrong advice!

That's just like playing russian roulette. If you are unlucky, then you die.

Look at real life cases below both in Thailand and another developing country.

Edited by EricTh

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In Thailand I've witnessed issues on both sides of this so called fence... 

1) Pedestrians crossing the road, taking their time with complete indifference to your presence. I've seen 'Western tourists' walking down the road, in front of my car, then appearing angry with me because I'm behind them waiting to pass... 

2) Cars not adjusting their speed, slowing down or stopping out of consideration for crossing pedestrians, almost to the degree that if a car is accelerating they won't stop accelerating and head straight towards the passing pedestrian. 

Summary - On average, those crossing the road and those driving could do with a healthy dose of mutual respect for the other. 

Totally leaves out any discussion of the rudeness & recklessness of motobike drivers who fly down the roads sweving between lanes and accelerating the moment any patch of empty concrete appears ahead. To pedestrians at walking speed, these idiots appear out of nowhere just when they thought it was safe to cross.  Foreign bike renters and mototaxi drivers are close rivals for the honor of biggest threat to pedestrian safety.  Total morons.  They see themselves up one rung on some fantasized right of access ladder, and just expect pedestrians to clear a flight path for them.

On this one I'm with the Chinese and their use of the pack defense.  Deal with it morons.

Yelling at them.   555555.   How pathetic.  

7 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Totally leaves out any discussion of the rudeness & recklessness of motobike drivers who fly down the roads sweving between lanes and accelerating the moment any patch of empty concrete appears ahead. To pedestrians at walking speed, these idiots appear out of nowhere just when they thought it was safe to cross.  Foreign bike renters and mototaxi drivers are close rivals for the honor of biggest threat to pedestrian safety.  Total morons.  They see themselves up one rung on some fantasized right of access ladder, and just expect pedestrians to clear a flight path for them.

On this one I'm with the Chinese and their use of the pack defense.  Deal with it morons.

Yelling at them.   555555.   How pathetic.  

Yep... Fair comment - you could replace cars with Vehicles (to include all motorised transport on the roads). 

Who's yelling at who by they way ?

Who are you calling morons ? all ThaiVisa users, or only those who've visited this thread ?

Yep... Fair comment - you could replace cars with Vehicles (to include all motorised transport on the roads). 

Who's yelling at who by they way ?

Who are you calling morons ? all ThaiVisa users, or only those who've visited this thread ?

Reading skills. I'm obviously referring to the idiots on motobikes I spent the whole post criticizing...

14 hours ago, lungnorm said:

That's normal in China. They must think its easier in Thailand as there is only half the traffic there is in China. Safest way is use the footbridge, if there is none get a taxi.

A lot of pedestrians are killed in China too due to selfishness and ignorance.

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

A lot of pedestrians are killed in China too due to selfishness and ignorance.

Not selfishness, they just have no choice. I have been there and I could not work out how one was supposed to cross the busy roads. Crazy place.

Even if you can lie with a straight face, it's best not to cross them; even though, yes, it's been millennia since the invention of the wheel, and the domestication of roads, they remain feral, and dangerous, particularly when crossed, more so when double-crossed.

A pedestrian, especially one appearing weak, or unsteady, arouses their predatory instincts, and, they will kill !

Better, just to not get involved with them, leave them alone; if you are forced to interact with one, say as little as possible, respectfully. Best to stay away from them completely !

~o:37;

On 4/6/2017 at 5:28 PM, scottiejohn said:

And of course be aware of the 'turn left' rule at red traffic lights!

Just because it is a one way street and all the cars and bikes etc; have stopped it does not preclude a vehicle from turning left against the red light if it safe to do so at junctions that allow it.

And they will turn right irrespective on any sign. Saying allowed or not.

God am seventy three and need help how to cross a road, I never knew that, many thanks for the advice, I live in Korat which is no different from any where else in Thailand, confronting traffic as a pedestrian is a life challenge. Driving in Thailand is a challenge for survival, living with a Thai lady is a challenge, surviving in a country where nobody gives a shit about you is a life challenge.

still we choose to live here as opposed to a nanny state.

On 4/6/2017 at 10:52 PM, richard_smith237 said:

In Thailand I've witnessed issues on both sides of this so called fence... 

1) Pedestrians crossing the road, taking their time with complete indifference to your presence. I've seen 'Western tourists' walking down the road, in front of my car, then appearing angry with me because I'm behind them waiting to pass... 

2) Cars not adjusting their speed, slowing down or stopping out of consideration for crossing pedestrians, almost to the degree that if a car is accelerating they won't stop accelerating and head straight towards the passing pedestrian. 

Summary - On average, those crossing the road and those driving could do with a healthy dose of mutual respect for the other. 

I've seen 'Western tourists' walking down the road, in front of my car,

The worst are the tourists on bicycles travelling very slowly 2 or 3 abreast on narrow C M streets. Complete morons.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've seen 'Western tourists' walking down the road, in front of my car,

The worst are the tourists on bicycles travelling very slowly 2 or 3 abreast on narrow C M streets. Complete morons.

That's because they have been tricked by people that Chiang Mai is a 'rural-like' town which is far from truth.

Chiang Mai is growing to be like Bangkok of the north.

Edited by EricTh