Pick-up seating ban a slap in the face for Thailand's poor!

webfact

15 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

What?

Cost of a new Pick up starts at 55o.ooo.- up to 1.300.000 - Baht,  You do not know facts. 

Also the Pick ups are mostly not new and the owners of the Pick up let other family members or friends or just paying passengers drive with them - for free or for some sum.

The people sitting behind on the Pick up are usually not the OWNER lol,  just others who cannot afford there own vehicle. 

Comedown from your high horse and start thinking before giving such a lame statement.  

Thai Rath - wrote it right - maybe read there first, then post!  :post-4641-1156693976:

It seems that the polarising issue is lack of viable alternatives: 

In cities there is no excuse, there is readily affordable public transport. 

Perhaps suitable options include: 

1) Where there is a seat, there must be a used seatbelt.

2) Bench seats must be fitted with a seatbelt.

3) Flat beds must be limited to x passengers (i.e. 6) who sit down in the flat bed not on the sides. 

4) Flat bed passengers wear a motorcycle helmet (to limit head injury in low impact accidents)

5) Vehicles with passengers in the Flatbed are limited to xxkmh (i.e. 50kmh). 

6) Laws are enforced strictly. 

Edited by richard_smith237

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see Thai Rath's point of view as patronising BS.  Two reasons: The poor in Thailand have been slapped in the face - oppressed, exploited, ill-used - so many times and in so many ways for so long it becomes ludicrous to ask others to pretend concern for the "face"  of a long-suffering vulnerable, poor and submissive rural populace. The masses of peasants are approprIated as political tools each time some privileged member of the political classes  suggests their needs or well-being has some significance in Thailand. A blatantly false interpretation.Tradition and the realities of today's Thailand demonstrate  how much hypocrisy and self-interest enervates the society. The aspirant Bangkok middle-class and privileged  elite  just don't care  about anything beyond their own immediate whims and benefit. Using the "what about the workers?" strategy implies the nation's poverty-stricken majority comprises a destabilising threat to the rest of the country, a totally unfair view that isolates the weak at a time when they most need understanding and consideration.  

Secondly, the  authorities' decision to delay introducing relevant offences and increased penalties for overloading pick-ups suggests that the related horrifying traffic  deaths stats among the rural poor is not terribly important - easier to let more people suffer avoidable mutilation or death than put up with some inconvenience for not accessing highways in death-traps waiting to happen when roads are at their busiest.

If, as the spokesman claimed, most people have known similar road rules have been on the books for many years but have chosen to ignore the consequences, then a concerned administration - if it has any sense of leadership and community/civic responsibility - would be obliged to establish the imperatives required to sustain the rule of law equitably and with transparency. It's not difficult, plenty of international examples to learn from.

4 hours ago, Artisi said:

Thought helmets were already compulsory - or have I missed something? 

Of course it is....but you wouldn't think so. Especially upcountry.

Compared to Vietnam where most riders wear helmets. Because they WILL be fined if they don't. 

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Were you around in the days of Mr T?

Doesn't sound like it. Not going to get into an off topic debate about him, but to think he would care if the poor ride in the back of pickups is, IMO, ludicrous. He was popular because of populist, unaffordable schemes, not because he cared about them.

Re the OP, if my relatives have to transport the "Burmas" that they employ inside vehicles, I'll be :cheesy:.

I was and lived in Chiang Rai. Sounds like u are on parallel paths like the General.

I'm even allowed to drive her car lol.....and get the privilege of filling it with petrol too. I'm a spoiled git. 

My wife will tell me it's yours and you can do what you like.
I say can I sell it?
No, it's my car. 555.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

No big deal. 5OO baht on the spot fine then everyone merrily on their way. 500 baht split 15 ways ain't gonna change anything and the cops get a new nice little earner.

I think the fine is per person, not per vehicle.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Why is the PM  so hated by you expats, and why is Mr. T such a hero when he bouht his way into power.

Yes corruption was alive and well with Mr. T in power, and also his bught in sister, yet so many think  that

was a true democratic government. Do not forget all the generals before Mr. T, and their working and then

switching out to yet another general, that was the past.  Don't any one of you want  a  true democratic

government who was not bought into power, because I certainly do,  and  I do not care if the present

PM has to remain in power for a couple years longer.  The pickup enforcement may be hard on the poor

but, to limit the back to 5 or less people would be a good start. Cleaning up the mini van and the over

tired and over worked drivers would also help.  Keeping up with not enforcing the laws will keep the death

and injury levels as high as they are today, and no one really wants that.

Geezer

The poor have to eat. They earn 300-400 baht a day. Labour's don't have the luxury like the Bangkok rail system or buses to the jobs in the fields. They save and save to buy a motor bike or old pick up which are still expensive. Mr T gave them medical for 30 baht and meals at 30 baht. Small insignificant things to many westerners but meant a lot too the old water buffalo. This regime is doing what the past have done; increased spending on military. Is this what is needed? Or better social services. Talk to the people in the country and ask them what they want. If TV is your only contact with Thailand, your wife or just one person in your community speaks English, u won't get a true perspective. I lived in Chiang Rai for a year; Mr T was in power. Not many spoke English but I communicated with a lot of local people. Good to see ur thoughts 9889.

7 hours ago, gabruce said:

One issue I have with this law, and many of the commenters is the belief that they know better than someone else and so they need to tell stupid people what they can and cannot do and make them do what they are supposed to do.

Thas right... thas right.... I vote to let the stupid people tell everybody what to do.

that'll work.... amazing Thailand... there's a slogo in there somewhere.

dumb and dumber?.... but that's been done already.

22 hours ago, starky said:

I think that if it is to be enforced they really need to look into how they enforce it. While I cringe when I see a loaded pick-up flying down the highway as the article alluded to what is the option for these people? mini buses, vans, normal buses even the trains aren't safe in Thailand and certainly no more safe than people travelling in a pick up. I do believe it will effect the poor particularly in rural areas and will lead to more people 4 and 5 upping on motorcycles or overloading the family saleng. Again neither option is safer. This week I have been getting my farms ready. Everyday I have had 8-10 people in the back of my truck to get them where they are going. The other option would have been 2 or 3 trips round numerous villages and then out to the farm. On longer journeys what's the solution you take 10 pick ups off the road with @7 in the back that's another 70 people who are now going to be travelling on the roads in modes of transport realistically not much or potentially less safe than the one they are being dissuaded from. If people want to travel in the back of a pick up I think it should be allowed. Unless of course they are going to simultaneously clean up every other shitty illegal thing that happens here that makes it so dangerous to travel on the roads.

"will lead to more people 4 and 5 upping on motorcycles" Good point!

6 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

No big deal. 5OO baht on the spot fine then everyone merrily on their way. 500 baht split 15 ways ain't gonna change anything and the cops get a new nice little earner.

500 per person seems more reasonable....more people in the back = more risk, after all. 1000 per child - they should not be put at risk and should ride in the cab. This rule will be gathering dust this time next month. 

4 hours ago, csabo said:

Pick coconuts all day then get hit with a fine on the way home. Gets harder and harder to raise a monkey family here.

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 11.10.02 AM.png

Spoken like a true monkey

22 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Is Mr T coming back? Things like this will only strengthen his cause. Why did the people luv him in the country areas? because he knew they didn't drive Ferrari', drink red bull and travelled the millionaires circuit. The General lives in a parallel world compared to the rest of Thailand. The longer he stays the greater the distance he puts in on the local folk.

Spot on Chris. Absolutely concur

On April 6, 2017 at 3:11 PM, fruitman said:

Believe it or not but poor people in W-Europe can't afford any car at all, not even a busticket...and there are many of them.

Thai public transportation is very lacking as far as abundance  in the rual areas .Thailand has to offer alternatives 

Bus and train, even if low costs, are not really the alternative for the poorer people, as they often bring numerous belongings and still need transport from train-station or bus-terminal to their rural village; and finding someone to drive from station or terminal to village at an affordable cost, relative to people with little money, can be almost impossible. The shared pick-up van would drive around the various villages and let folks off at their homes, together with their transported stuff that can be more than just easily taken by train or bus...

Improvement of safety could also be speed, and car conditions (especially tires and brakes), and fatigue level for drivers – may improve safety more than limiting to six passengers only in the pick-up bed...

7 hours ago, starky said:

Funnily enough I don't see the majority of Thai people asking any falang particularly the pundits on TV how they should live their lives. Honestly I think this forum is getting worse nearly every thread derides Thai culture, laws, belief systems, religion even the way they speak English. Why should the majority of Thais speak English? This is Thailand. What To help facilitate grumpy <deleted> who are to lazy, ignorant or stupid to learn the language of their adopted country? Or maybe to help them more easily get by in a country they hate everything about except for the weather and the exchange rate. Imagine the outrage if there was a forum like this in our own home countries written by disgruntled immigrants continually deriding every bit of our society.  Be <deleted> rioting in the streets.

English is the chosen language of ASEAN, it's to enable trade with other ASEAN countries, and also allows millions of Thais to work in the tourist industry.  And, nope, I hate the weather too, and the exchange rate is terrible at the moment.

just a thought about toyota smart cabs, i wonder if it would be allowed to fit lap belts in the rear of the cab, rather than the more complicated lap and diagonal belts. we often carry the outlaws in the cab at the back, the dad likes a smoke so often sits in the cargo bit, but that cannot happen now. please let me know your thoughts.

There is one thing in the whole story I don't understand.

We all know traveling with people in the backside of a pick-up is dangerous no doubt.

But what is the reason people buy a pick-up, apart from farmers.

It is because the tax on pick-ups are much lower than on passengers cars.

The government should lower the tax on passengers cars first.

After given a transition period of eg 2 years, then people can prepare for it.

And then you can ban.

On 06/04/2017 at 8:47 AM, mercman24 said:

one paragraph says it all, "everyone knows it is illegal to travel in the cargo bay of a pick up,  whats the cost of a pick up now a days ,1-5 million ?? for a "poor" family"  same old story flaunting the law for years, same as "poor" families buying  30,/ 40,000 baht scooters and cant affford helmets.

Middle class families have pick ups, poor families have scooters...

On 4/6/2017 at 2:47 PM, mercman24 said:

one paragraph says it all, "everyone knows it is illegal to travel in the cargo bay of a pick up,  whats the cost of a pick up now a days ,1-5 million ?? for a "poor" family"  same old story flaunting the law for years, same as "poor" families buying  30,/ 40,000 baht scooters and cant affford helmets.

hey you forget all on downpayment, even the refrigerator is paid in 3 years poor is poor even with a 150000 bth car wich is paid in 7 years!!!

11 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

The centre of gravity changes when a pickup is loaded on the back especially with ten people standing on the back it becomes a suicide vehicle.

It is suicide to have passengers sitting in the back especially on highways where the speed limit (which is to high) is abused.

Look what happens in a rear ender on a overpass the passengers get flung out and over the barrier, happened in BK not long ago.

The video posted yesterday was horrific showing the pickup make a slight swerve and overturn throwing the overloaded passengers on the back everywhere.

I think Thais get a special price on pickups as the are regarded as farm vehicles.

Time to give a subsidy on 6 or ten seater vans for the poor.

It is ridiculous for Thai Rath to say that pickups should have the back enclosed by law.

It is stupid of them to say this law is an insult to the poor, this law will save lives if enforced, angry Thais show no respect for safety of lives over this.

The motor bike situation needs to be addressed seriously as well as it scares the hell out of me to see babies and children with no protection. 

Seriously the government needs to lower the speed limits and get some speed cameras out there along with real traffic police.

I suspect you are rather making light of suicide. Carlessness is not suicide. Pure hyperbole. Pure, strident hyperbole.

Edited by HooHaa

5 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

English is the chosen language of ASEAN, it's to enable trade with other ASEAN countries, and also allows millions of Thais to work in the tourist industry.  And, nope, I hate the weather too, and the exchange rate is terrible at the moment.

Great if you've got money I guess. The vast vast majority of Thais will never see or travel to an ASEAN country and I am sure care very little about trade with them

On 4/6/2017 at 2:47 PM, mercman24 said:

Another typical western view and your post a misinterpretation,  you have no real  understanding of the poor people in Thailand as l see it and all the dumb likes, poor families have 30+ year old pick-ups passed down from family, old 2 stroke bikes, some yeah they have a job and have a newer bike but buying it over many years at an extortionate interest rates from the rich Thai finance companies you should really open your eyes a bit more and be informed before putting your rubbish in post.

Edited by Kwasaki

On 4/6/2017 at 7:35 PM, robsamui said:

Once again it's all upside-down and back-to-front. Thais seem to have an entirely off-the-wall thinking set about everything, compared to the rest of the world. Some people might even say they don't have much common sense.

The aim of the exercise is safety on the roads. The General has clearly stated this. And because international statistics show that seat belts save lives, that's what he's banging on about, this time around.

Similarly, the more people in the back of a pick-up, the higher the centre of gravity and the more unstable it becomes.

However the single biggest cause of road injuries in Thailand is neither of these things. It's drunk driving. 

And, no, putting up alcohol prices won't fix this.

It can only be addressed by hard and consistent work by the police - actually DOING something on a regular basis - not just testing drivers for alcohol on public holidays or after they've had a crash, but randomly, all the time, in the day as well as the night, stopping vehicles and testing for alcohol and drugs.

But it's easier to count heads in a pickup, isn't it. (As long as it's not double figures and the police run out of fingers to count on.) It doesn't require hard and continued work, day in and day out. It'll put too much strain on the police, having to actually do a job of work like this.

So, once again - exactly like the annual vow to reduce road deaths at New Year and Songkran, which has no effect at all as every year the death toll rises - we have another wild idea about safety that doesn't address the heart of the matter, or even come anywhere near it.

If Thailand wants to pick up on safety ideas from Western nations so it can look good to its neighbours, let's begin with the essential basics and work to train a police force to uphold those - then when they are in place and established and are being enforced,  maybe we can add the refinements and fine-tuning later.

That's the way it's done everywhere else.

It's only common sense, after all :smile:

It might be an idea if people were unable to "buy" a licence in rural areas for 250 baht. Road rules? Road sense? Defensive driving courses? Community service announcements on road safety? The list of things that CAN be done drifts on and on into the distance. for ever and ever in never never land.

On 06/04/2017 at 4:29 PM, selftaopath said:

Sounds like lying Donald.... it's sooooooooooooo unfairrrrrrrrrr. Seriously? But those who can not afford a 4 wheel vehicle are at a great disadvantage - daily.

Irrelevant, get over it!